HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Bernier

Old
12-09-2011, 08:42 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
Jonathan Bernier

Guys, what's the feeling on him. I know Quick is playing very well and has established himself.

But is Bernier still the guy? Will they move him now that Quick has shown he can handle the job? How will your goaltending look next year...

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
No, he will be moved. If a spectacular deal comes for a top 3 sniper he would be available at the deadline, otherwise he will likely be moved during the offseason or after Quick signs his extension. Jones or Zatkoff will likely take up backup duties behind Quick. Probably Jones, but Zatkoff has seniority, all depends on camp.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
Guys, what's the feeling on him. I know Quick is playing very well and has established himself.

But is Bernier still the guy? Will they move him now that Quick has shown he can handle the job? How will your goaltending look next year...
Personally, I'm not as sold on Bernier as I am on Quick. I've never felt that Bernier was the guy. I doubt they will move him before locking up Quick long term.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Personally, I'm not as sold on Bernier as I am on Quick. I've never felt that Bernier was the guy. I doubt they will move him before locking up Quick long term.
Yeah, this right here. I see him being moved before next year personally

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 09:54 PM
kingfansince1967

Huge mistake

It is going to be a huge mistake. But, bottom line, if I were Bernier I would ask to be traded. He is not getting his chance, only 5 games in goal. He had a good game against Montreal and now he is going to wait, one, two if not three weeks, and when is he going to get 2 or 3 games in a row. Montreal should the necessary patience with Carey Price and it has proved, the Kings should do the same with Bernier.

... but this is Terry Murray ... and we won't make the playoffs if he is behind the bench until the end of the season

kingfansince1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:09 PM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfansince1967 View Post
It is going to be a huge mistake. But, bottom line, if I were Bernier I would ask to be traded. He is not getting his chance, only 5 games in goal. He had a good game against Montreal and now he is going to wait, one, two if not three weeks, and when is he going to get 2 or 3 games in a row. Montreal should the necessary patience with Carey Price and it has proved, the Kings should do the same with Bernier.

... but this is Terry Murray ... and we won't make the playoffs if he is behind the bench until the end of the season
I dont see it being a HUGE mistake. Even if Bernier does end up being better than Quick, its not gonna be by a whole lot. I prefer quick to bernier, but I do agree that TM needs to give bernier more games.

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfansince1967 View Post

If Bernier was going to prove worthy of overtaking Quick he would have showed it more by now. I don't think he is capable of it.

Plus even if we lose Bernier...we still have a great young goaltender in Martin Jones sitting down there...Berube...and Gibson in juniors.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

I have to say Jonathan is one of the most misspelled simple names. Do you guys actually know anyone named "Jonathon'?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Jetteroheller

Unfortunately the kings should move JB sooner than later before he loses any trade value. Also they need to move him before he ends up walking away for nothing, which he will eventually due to little/no playing time behind Quick.

Jetteroheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:23 AM
greengiant91

Bernier will be better than Quick, I would trade Quick before Bernier. JB has not been given a chance by TM. TM gave labarbra more of opportunity to succeed than JB has been given.

greengiant91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:43 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
If Bernier was going to prove worthy of overtaking Quick he would have showed it more by now. I don't think he is capable of it.

Plus even if we lose Bernier...we still have a great young goaltender in Martin Jones sitting down there...Berube...and Gibson in juniors.
Are you fricken kidding? Bernier hasn't been given HALF the opportunity that any of the last 4 starting goaltenders have had. Give the kid more than one game every 2-3 weeks before you start saying that he needs to show more.

And Jones doesn't have the natural talent Bernier does.

I will say it is hard for Bernier to break in though with Quick playing well, but you can't hold that against Bernier.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Are you fricken kidding? Bernier hasn't been given HALF the opportunity that any of the last 4 starting goaltenders have had. Give the kid more than one game every 2-3 weeks before you start saying that he needs to show more.

And Jones doesn't have the natural talent Bernier does.

I will say it is hard for Bernier to break in though with Quick playing well, but you can't hold that against Bernier.
Natural talent?

How much have you watched Marty Jones play? He is damn good also. I don't care about natural talent. People said Bernier had more natural talent then Quick also...

And I am talking about prior...Bernier has had his chances, but he certainly hasn't "wowed" anyone honestly. He is going to be a solid tender. But people act like he is the next coming of Roy sometimes and just simply don't think it is true.

Quick is just as good, if not better then Bernier will be. And Jones can serve as a great back up and starter probably one day.

For the sake of Bernier he should probably move on. He isn't going to get the chances here. Nor should he. Quick is too good, and our goalie corps is way too deep. Sorry.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Right now, I don't have faith in both of them no matter how well they play until they get goal support.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Kingurentai

I was just thinkng we need to let Bernier play more so we can see for sure. Quick is getting tired.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:32 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post

Jonathon. Ha. Sounds like a call-in program asking for donations to keep him around for another year.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:47 AM
unhinged97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
I have to say Jonathan is one of the most misspelled simple names. Do you guys actually know anyone named "Jonathon'?
http://www.jonathonamaya.net/

unhinged97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Reaper45

If Bernier wants to play more he needs to out play Quick. Even when Quick has **** the bed, Bernier hasn't set the world on fire.

Old
12-10-2011, 10:57 AM
KapG

Quote:
If Bernier wants to play more he needs to out play Quick. Even when Quick has **** the bed, Bernier hasn't set the world on fire.

How can he outplay Quick, when he doesn't get any games?

KapG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:14 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

So... Quick isn't good enough for people?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:49 AM
LAKings4ever

The only thing left for Quick to prove he is the guy is winning in the playoffs, other than that he has shown everything you would want in a goalie and easily should go down as the Kings all-time best goaltender when all is said and done (granted it is a short ladder to climb).

I would have like to see Bernier get more of an opportunity this year, say 30 games and opportunities for multiple games in a row to see how he would settle in over a stretch of games but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

I was always a Bernier supporter but Quick has won be over, deserves to be extended once he shows he can win a series in the playoffs - Bernier doesn't get traded until this happens.

PS: I think Kings win at least 1 playoff series this year!!

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Magicman

Goalies need to play and it's difficult to impress when your the backup.

Bernier's style doesn't suit the Kings defensive makeup, Quick's style is more suited to it.

With Doughty/Johnsov/Voynov/Martinez probably all in the lineup next season.

I could enision a couple of secnairos where Quick is moved for help at the deadline and the job is gifted to Bernier.

Quick prospers from the back off and colapse style Lombardi and Murray love to play.

If the Kings open it up, I think Quick could be exposed due to facing 30+ shots a night.

Magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Whiskeypete

i dont prefer one over the other, both guys seem to be very even keeled with great work ethics. two great traits in a goalie.

what i don't like is the lack of games that JB gets. he needs more plain and simple, for two reasons.

first, for the team to set his value for when and if DL makes a move. it's hard for DL to make a trade with him at this point based on his limited GP in the NHL. compare this to JQ's stats and what he would command in a trade situation. im not advocating either over the other so don't go ******* thinking im calling for JQ's trade. im just saying that Quick has a true trade value based on his numbers, JB doesn't. this will limit the net return DL will get for him.

second, JB's game also seems to call for him to get in a groove. he struggled in LA years ago when he didn't get much time. he gets sent to MAN, gets a ton of time and suddenly he is the messiah in net. last season when he was getting more starts in a more consistent manner, his game really began to improve. the guy needs playing time plain and simple. this is another case of player mismanagement when it comes to Murray, plain and simple.

DL needs to tell Murray to get JB into the line-up more, no questions asked. there is NO downside to this. it rests JQ, it helps JB set his value which in turn will help DL and the team, it keep JB ready should JQ gets injured.

tonight JB should get the start, no excuses. JQ looked bad the other night, give the guy some rest. give him a few more days with Ranford to work on his puck handling for starters and then work on his control. against MIN his control was horrible.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
How can he outplay Quick, when he doesn't get any games?
How did Quick get the nod over him in the first place? By out working him in practice and in games. But let's just give him starts because he's got to prove something.

Old
12-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Magicman

Quote:
How did Quick get the nod over him in the first place? By out working him in practice and in games. But let's just give him starts because he's got to prove something.
Nope.

Lombardi completly ****ED UP the goaltending with the Cloutier deal.

Had he not Quick gets no shot.

Magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:22 PM
ean

Neither goalie is going anywhere.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote