HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Stop Avoiding the Subject...We Need A Center

Old
12-07-2011, 05:23 PM
dkollidas

vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind Gagner. I'm just sick of the diminutive forwards on the Sabres roster. I mean, Ennis, Roy, Pomminville, Gerbe, Gragniani, etc. They don't need another. My main question is if the guy the get can play two-way hockey.

But I'd rather get someone in the draft who can take the number one spot eventually and make Roy expendable. His next contract won't be a bargain and they may have to move him on order to get some value in return.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:27 PM
joshjull

Does anyone know if Sundher or Catenacci have any defensive chops at all?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:27 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The Gagner idea is as a fill for moving Roy in a separate deal. He could be the Briere-style reclaimation project Regier is looking for, given his solid trackrecord so far and his age. I have no issue with getting a Hanzal or Backes or Kesler TYPE of center, yet it still looks like that is going to have to come from within.
Maybe Adam develops into that type of guy? And I like the point on Gagner being a "reclamation project" of sorts. He does have many similar traits, speed, vision, passing, etc. I could see it happening.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:34 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I think both were considered second/third liners and that offense was their limiting factor, so I'd assume so.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:24 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
There's two things you can do in this situation. First, you can demote him and cut his minutes until he starts producing on the PP. Second, you can continue feeding him minutes with the expectation that he'll get hot on the PP and return to his career mean of 4.5-5.0 pts/60 mins at 5-on-4. Lindy will probably do the latter because he trusts Roy. But, again, that's a Ruff issue.
Well, Ruff did the latter tonight, and it worked. If it continues, we'll be in much better shape. Ruff trusts Roy. I don't.

Quote:
But as I posted, a lot of teams' go-to players are soft, finesse players. Would you really not want Spezza or Tavares or Seguin on the team?
The Sabres aren't the Sens, Isles or Bruins; and Derek Roy isn't a former top 1 or 2 pick in the NHL draft... That matters a little..
Quote:
Not trying to start another tiff, but it surprises me that you're into Nielsen. I figured a checking-line center--not even a high-productivity, top-6 center--with only 3 hits in 24 games would be anathema to you. If he's matching up with other teams' top forwards, and isn't a huge boon to the scoresheet, I'd like him to be more physical with those other guys.
I'd like him to be excellent at shutting down the opposition's top offensive players.

A player, wearing a letter, averaging 4 seconds shy or 19 total minutes a night? I need more than 1 task executed at a high level. Nielsen's task is one thing. Shut the top line down.

Last edited by ShaPow: 12-09-2011 at 11:52 PM.
ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:25 AM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
I wouldn't mind Gagner. I'm just sick of the diminutive forwards on the Sabres roster. I mean, Ennis, Roy, Pomminville, Gerbe, Gragniani, etc.
Pominville is 6'0 and Gragnani is 6'2. It's only the remaining three plus Enroth, if you count him.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Not necessarily, but the upside is that D can be taught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Maybe Adam develops into that type of guy? And I like the point on Gagner being a "reclamation project" of sorts. He does have many similar traits, speed, vision, passing, etc. I could see it happening.
I don't know if Adam will or won't be. He may eventually, but right now he looks a lot better since being moved to the wing. It may be a matter of acclimation and experience before he becomes a successful NHL level center.

12-10-2011, 08:32 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Statsny is the only center who is both available and on a team who can take on salary.

I think he is a guy who would benefit greatly from a change of scenery. It doesn't appear he has taken to well to being pushed off the #1 line by Duchene and isn't reacting well to a reduced role in colorado.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:46 AM
HiddenInLight

If we could get Statsny without sending a center back beyond Gaustad (who COL was interested in, in a deal that apparently almost happened at the deadline last year, don't have the source on that one anymore). But maybe if he could be had for maybe Stafford, Boyes and Gaustad, I wouldn't really complain. Statsny is at around 8 mil cap hit right?

HiddenInLight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:54 AM
TragicallySabres

I'm okay with moving Stafford and Boyes if it meant getting Stastny, I guess. But I'd like to keep Goose.

TragicallySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:58 AM
HiddenInLight

Honestky the only reason I mentioned Goose is that Colorado Showed some interest in him last year.

HiddenInLight is online now   Reply With Quote