HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Why was Selanne trade to San Jose?

Old
12-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Why was Selanne trade to San Jose?

Was thinking about this earlier, but I was wondering, why San Jose? I'd imagine there would have been several teams making a push for him. It seems odd that they would deal him to a division rival for a package of Friesen and Shields. No offense to Friesen, but it just seems like a total steal. Granted, I didn't start watching hockey until just shortly after this trade.

Also, just a little fun-fact. To quote Wikipedia;

"Selšnne was involved in controversy with the Sharks in 2002–03. On the other side of the United States, New Jersey Devil Scott Gomez was struggling under the management style of Devils coach Pat Burns. Gomez and Selšnne were almost swapped in a multi-player trade, but at the 11th hour Selšnne vetoed being sent to New Jersey.[7] Selšnne suffered a slight drop of performance during his time with the Sharks but he still managed to score 54 and 64 points during his two full seasons with the Sharks."

Had no idea he was almost a Devil.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

vCash: 500
selšnne can't play defense, so i can why he didn't like the idea of new jersey

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Big Phil

Not sure why it was San Jose but I believe the reason he was just traded to begin with was because he was at that part of his career where he seemed on the decline. This was a part of his career where he had some injury trouble and some trying seasons. He redeemed himself post lockout, unlike Kariya, but at the time I would think the Ducks probably just thought he was past his prime.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Emerald Duck

vCash: 50
It was during a similar time as now, but with a different owner.

The Mighty Ducks were top heavy salary-wise with Kariya and Selanne, and they had minimal depth beyond them. They tried to move Selanne for more depth and to try and get younger. His knee was beginning to wear out. Whether or not there was a better package than Friesen, Shields and a 2nd round pick, only the GM (Pierre Gauthier) knew for sure. Disney was pushing for management to shed payroll since they were more interested in making a profit and generating cross licensing revenues for their Disney and Mighty Ducks film franchises than actually winning.

It was a sad day in Ducks history for sure.

Fast forward to 2011, and we have a cap-limited team that is also top heavy salary-wise with a few bonafide stars, and the rumors about Bob Murray taking calls on the availability of Bobby Ryan seems a little like deja vu.

Hopefully the Ducks organization learned from its past history.

Emerald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:25 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Jeff Friesen was considered a very good return at the time. He was just entering his prime and looked to be developing into a very good first line player. Nobody ever thought Friesen would totally fall off the map like he did.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Calderon

I recently came across a short news piece on a Finnish news site regarding this. Here's the best part (the translation is mine):

Anaheim traded Selšnne because the franchise thinks Teemu is too old.
"Selšnne is a brilliant hockey player but he's 30 already. Friesen is only 24", rationalized The Ducks' GM on giving up Selšnne.

Just too funny considering Friesen ended his NHL career 4.5 years ago (I think he's still playing, having spent the last two seasons in the DEL but obviously he won't get another NHL contract at this point), while Teemu is currently tied for 17th in the NHL's scoring race at the ripe age of 41. And while Teemu's two full seasons with the Sharks were disappointing (54 and 64 points), Friesen never reached his career high of 63 points again.
Steve Shields, two years younger than Selšnne, played his last game of professional hockey during 2006-07 and as per HockeyDB only played a total of 105 professional hockey games after the 2001 trade.

Then again, this is all in hindsight, the trade probably wasn't that bad at all at the time, as the poster above stated.

Calderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

For some reason Gauthier actually believed Shields was an upgrade compared to Hebert, Gigure and Bryzgalov. I think Shields lost 20 games that season and effectively finished his career.

The 2nd rounder was flipped for Dallas 1st round pick (Corey Perry)

Last edited by Hobnobs: 12-08-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:32 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
selšnne can't play defense, so i can why he didn't like the idea of new jersey
Reportedly, Selanne didn't want to leave the weather of California for a chance at what would have been his first Stanley Cup. San Jose finished out of the playoffs and New Jersey would go on to win the Cup without Selanne.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 12-08-2011 at 12:50 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:31 PM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Gomez and Selšnne were almost swapped in a multi-player trade, but at the 11th hour Selšnne vetoed being sent to New Jersey.[7]
Had no idea he was almost a Devil.
I dont like him anymore. He was one of my favourite players ever. Cant say the same now.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:04 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Jeff Friesen was considered a very good return at the time. He was just entering his prime and looked to be developing into a very good first line player. Nobody ever thought Friesen would totally fall off the map like he did.
Friesen was one of the league's fastest players, decent defensively, and a consistent 25-30 goal scorer and 60 point player when the trade was made. Shields had just posted a 27-30-8 record, .911, 2.56 with 4 SO in 67 for San Jose, followed by a . It was a pretty solid return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
For some reason Gauthier actually believed Shields was an upgrade compared to Hebert, Gigure and Bryzgalov. I think Shields lost 20 games that season and effectively finished his career.
Hebert had been waived (and claimed by NYR) halfway through the previous season and had retired by the time the trade was made. Over the previous three seasons, Shields had played 125 games and gone 48-48-21 in San Jose with .914, 2.44, and 10 shutouts. Evgeni Nabokov over that same period played 77 games, went 34-23-8, with a .914, 2.19, and 7 shutouts. He was starting ahead of Nabokov, and rightfully so. Of goaltenders still in the Ducks' system, here are the numbers of those players in their Ducks career over that period:

Giguere: 34 GP, 11-17-5, .911, 2.57, 4 SO
Gregg Naumenko: 2 GP, 0-1-0, .759, 6.00 (ouch!)

So while Giguere is about five years younger than Shields, Shields was an established NHL starter. He had also posted significant playoff performances in Buffalo when Hasek declared himself unfit to play or was suspended for altercations with reporters.

Giguere's breakout immediately following the deal is the biggest reason the deal looks bad; Shields played quality hockey for the Ducks, perhaps with a slight decline in play. Shields was also seeing two extra shots per game - Giguere saw 26.6/60 to Shields' 28.7/60. So the "Shields lost 20 games" thing isn't so applicable. If his team was playing so notably better defensively for Giguere, you can make a guess that their offense is also working out better. That translates to more goals for and fewer goals against... which means more wins.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:19 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Reportedly, Selanne didn't want to leave the weather of California for a chance at what would have been his first Stanley Cup.
From my understanding, he didn't even move his family when he and Kariya signed with Colorado.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:57 AM
GummoMarx

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Hebert had been waived (and claimed by NYR) halfway through the previous season and had retired by the time the trade was made. Over the previous three seasons, Shields had played 125 games and gone 48-48-21 in San Jose with .914, 2.44, and 10 shutouts. Evgeni Nabokov over that same period played 77 games, went 34-23-8, with a .914, 2.19, and 7 shutouts. He was starting ahead of Nabokov, and rightfully so. Of goaltenders still in the Ducks' system, here are the numbers of those players in their Ducks career over that period:

Hebert was still in the league at the time of the trade (2001), playing out his final days with the Rangers before retiring after the season.

GummoMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:53 PM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Reportedly, Selanne didn't want to leave the weather of California for a chance at what would have been his first Stanley Cup. San Jose finished out of the playoffs and New Jersey would go on to win the Cup without Selanne.
Weather = Family

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
He was starting ahead of Nabokov, and rightfully so. Of goaltenders still in the Ducks' system, here are the numbers of those players in their Ducks career over that period:
That's not quite right. Shields was the starter in 1999/2000, after taking the job from Mike Vernon. With Shields starting and the emergence of Nabokov, Vernon was moved during the season. Shields started off as the starter in 2000/01, but he lost the job to Nabokov rather quickly. By the time of the trade, Nabokov had played in 49 games, Shields only in 21.

Apart from that, Shields was indeed a solid starter at that time. Not elite, but capable enough to get the job done.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Lupul1990

Excerpt from Teemu's blog (translated in the first comment by sleza)

Quote:
In 2001 happened the other trade, which was very similar to the first one. Ducks GM Pierre Cauthier came to talk and told that has been shopping me around the league but hasn’t got any interesting reply. He noted that I was no longer been shopped, so I could keep on playing like normally. 10 days after that phone rings at 6.30 am and Pierre’s secretary called and told and I’ve been sold to San Jose Sharks. To think that that liar didn’t even have balls enough to call and tell about it himself.
More here.

Lupul1990 is offline   Reply With Quote