Notices

Tim Stapleton

Old
12-10-2011, 10:05 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Tim Stapleton

Is it just me or is he playing with a lot more confidence as of late? I especially like the PP pairing with Buff. Both have great slappers but I think Stapletons is a little better, more accurate.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:10 AM
blues10

vCash: 500
Stapleton is OK but is still very hesitant, especially on the point on the PP. He looks afraid to make a mistake rather than just playing hockey.

He does play OK when thrown into PP situations after riding the bench.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

To compare Stapleton's shot to anyone else's shot is like comparing Eric Perrin to Wayne Gretzky

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Gotaf7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cena View Post
To compare Stapleton's shot to anyone else's shot is like comparing Eric Perrin to Wayne Gretzky
Didn't he have the 2nd hardest shot behind Buff at the skills competition?

Gotaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
That would be correct.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
Yes, and Buff knew he was the biggest competition in the event before it started.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Andy6
Court Jetster

I thought Stapleton played extremely well against Carolina last night. I'd have considered him for a star, actually. I'd like to see him get more ice time somehow.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:46 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Maybe that's what is giving him confidence?(the skills competition results) I don't think he'll ever be a top 6, or even a consistent top 9, but he can definitely be a solid fourth liner.

When you consider the speed of his skating (tied with Kane), and speed of his slapper (just behind Buff), he's the most "raw" talented player we have.

Last edited by allan5oh: 12-10-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old
12-10-2011, 11:58 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
When you consider the speed of his skating (tied with Kane), and speed of his slapper (just behind Buff), he's the most "raw" talented player we have.
If you watched the skills competition, I think it was clear that he probably was the most talented player. He actually let up really early in the fastest skater event so he probably would have beat Kane, he had the 3rd hardest shot behind Byfuglien and then Thorburn, and he was good in the puck control relay. However doing those things outside of the game is entirely different than doing them in the game. Stapleton is really small and unlike the small players that have managed to stick in this league, like Fleury and St Louis, he doesn't have the scrappy side to his game. I think it's a matter of both physical strength and willingness to get hit.

I think he gives us some versatility in the sense that we can alter our 4th line to match the opponent. Putting him in against a team like Carolina gives us the extra option on the PP and for the 5min or so that the 4th line gets he's a bit of a scoring threat. Against Boston he was scratched because he's just too small. He deserves credit for being able to be benched for several games at a time and then step back in to the lineup without looking out of place.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:23 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
However doing those things outside of the game is entirely different than doing them in the game.
That's exactly where he needs to excel if he wants to move up. Making better decisions, going to the greasy spots, and taking shots instead of trying to be fancy.

Quote:
Stapleton is really small and unlike the small players that have managed to stick in this league, like Fleury and St Louis, he doesn't have the scrappy side to his game. I think it's a matter of both physical strength and willingness to get hit.
With confidence comes drive.

Old
12-10-2011, 01:15 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

All good comments guys

In addition I would mention that he is one of the more accurate passers on the team and a very sound positional player.....he is good on the back check.

As has been pointed out his biggest challenges are size and confidence. Not much you can do about size but I feel his confidence is beginning to grow slowly and with that we are seeing some of his offensive skills.

Definatley trending in a positive direction and the lazer on the PP was timely and really sweet.....I also thought he had a presence all night assisting on puck battles on the boards and emerging with the puck a couple of times...drawing a penalty and playing well within the system.

Tim is another guy thats beginning to change some opinions and his improved play is making the coaching staff look smart. Nobody will confuse him with a top 6 forward but as Sipowiz said "he is a very good utility player" and perfect for the 12th or 13th forward IMHO

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Jet
Bogo Believer

Stapleton could really spark his career by doing iron man training. That's how st louis became a dominant scorer

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote