HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Blackhawks @ New York Islanders 12/8

Old
12-09-2011, 11:53 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
The call on Bailey was FAR worse then the call on Kane.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:05 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Not sure what game you guys are talking about. The Hawks played well. They were aggressive, had life. Montoya came up with a couple huge stops. The only player I was really disappointed with was Lepisto and that was more for his offensive play and puck moving. He's fumbles the puck, panics when he needs to make a quick decision. He's 8 feet from a guy and gives him a weak pass so he has no time to do anything but lock up with an Islander on the boards. He seemed like someone trying not to screw up instead of someone trying to make plays. The Kane penalty was one of the worst calls I've every seen. Bolland, that was undisciplined and not the way this team plays. Great job by everyone on the PK though.
Isles did play well, and perhaps we are not giving them enough credit… and yes Montoya made some good saves but what’s frustrating is we need to bury teams in games like that when they are down, not sit back at 2 – 0 and give the opps a chance to rebound. Hawks played just well enough to win and no more… and could just as easily have lost. I know it's a long season and they can't win every game but I'd like to see a few laughers along the way.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:11 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Isles did play well, and perhaps we are not giving them enough credit… and yes Montoya made some good saves but what’s frustrating is we need to bury teams in games like that when they are down, not sit back at 2 – 0 and give the opps a chance to rebound. Hawks played just well enough to win and no more… and could just as easily have lost. I know it's a long season and they can't win every game but I'd like to see a few laughers along the way.
So would I but I still feel they were pushing for it and the they played about as good as they could have against that effort. The Isles wanted the game badly. Tavares was a beast out there.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:36 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Great post. Exactly how I feel.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:08 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
This team isn't complete enough personel wise to destroy teams behind them in the standings. I think it will be though, after the cap space is spent. For now, just be happy with a win because if you are waiting for an extra gear or something, you're not going to see it.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHawk21 View Post
let me guess you coached a JV high school team for a couple years...your trying to play the your older than me so i can complain about conservative plays in the last 30 seconds of a period. lame

wait are you walt frazier

For the record, do you think that standing someone up at the blueline in that situation is the wrong play? And it is better and more conservative to back in and allow a couple shots and 30-40 seconds of pressure?

I disagree, it was the wrong play.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
For the record, do you think that standing someone up at the blueline in that situation is the wrong play? And it is better and more conservative to back in and allow a couple shots and 30-40 seconds of pressure?

I disagree, it was the wrong play.
What play are you guys debating? I don't feel like combing the entire gameday thread to find it. I was watching at a bar so very well might have missed it anyway but am interested, no less.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
What play are you guys debating? I don't feel like combing the entire gameday thread to find it. I was watching at a bar so very well might have missed it anyway but am interested, no less.
Post #69

Old
12-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Blue Liner

Did not see the actual play so it's hard for me to comment but generally speaking if you've got a 1 on 2 someone should step up on the puck carrier anyhow, regardless of backcheckers/back pressure or not. Having reinforcements from behind only further presses the issue of stepping up. There's no reason to let the puck carrier take much, if any, of the zone because even if you somehow miss him or misplay him there's another guy back to cover if they're positioned correctly.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:12 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Did not see the actual play so it's hard for me to comment but generally speaking if you've got a 1 on 2 someone should step up on the puck carrier anyhow, regardless of backcheckers/back pressure or not. Having reinforcements from behind only further presses the issue of stepping up. There's no reason to let the puck carrier take much, if any, of the zone because even if you somehow miss him or misplay him there's another guy back to cover if they're positioned correctly.
thats how the hawks always play...

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Blue Liner

I'm speaking strictly in terms of a 1 on 2 situation. Again, I'd like to see the actual play as I'm only speaking in general terms. I can't think of many instances though where a guy coming in 1 on 2 should not be stepped up on. Go to any hockey game in any rink anywhere and you're going to hear a coach and/or coaches screaming "step up!".

Last edited by Blue Liner: 12-09-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old
12-09-2011, 04:40 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
I'm speaking strictly in terms of a 1 on 2 situation. Again, I'd like to see the actual play as I'm only speaking in general terms. I can't think of many instances though where a guy coming in 1 on 2 should not be stepped up on. Go to any hockey game in any rink anywhere and you're going to hear a coach and/or coaches screaming "step up!".
I bet Q screams "BACK OFFFFFF!!!!!!"

I'm also surprised Hjalmarsson didn't get benched for pinching and blowing grabner up.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Marotte Marauder

It is so basic (to BobbyJet's lament) that why would you not press your advantage when you have a numerical advantage? You have the upper hand and back off to let the opponent gain the upper hand right back? Crazy IMO.

50 seconds left with a 1-0 lead at the end of the first is enough time to force a turnover at your own blue line and maybe catch the Isles offguard in a transition play.

These are the frustrating aspects to some players' games.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
I bet Q screams "BACK OFFFFFF!!!!!!"

I'm also surprised Hjalmarsson didn't get benched for pinching and blowing grabner up.
I also wonder if he's the one telling his defensemen to allow players to get in behind them in front of their net and allow them to sit between them and their goaltender untouched. It goes against everything you're ever taught as a defenseman growing up, yet every guy seems to do it on a regular basis. I hate it. Drives me nuts. I understand the philosophy of wanting that defenseman further up to block the shot to an extent, but if you don't block it (which more times than not you're not going to) you're not only just screening your goaltender but you're leaving that forward all alone to either be able to tip the shot or have all day to put in a rebound. I just don't understand it.

I know with the way the game's called now you can't butcher forwards in front of the net anymore like you once could (sadly), but you still can have a body on them, tie up their sticks, and move them out of your goaltender's way and not give them free reign in front of the net. Just doesn't make sense to me. Never has.

And yes, I'm in agreement on the 1 on 2 situation. I'd still like to see it but like I said before, there really isn't ever a reason not to step up in a numerical situation like that.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 12-09-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old
12-09-2011, 04:58 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
I also wonder if he's the one telling his defensemen to allow players to get in behind them in front of their net and allow them to sit between them and their goaltender untouched. It goes against everything you're ever taught as a defenseman growing up, yet every guy seems to do it on a regular basis. I hate it. Drives me nuts. I understand the philosophy of wanting that defenseman further up to block the shot to an extent, but if you don't block it (which more times than not you're not going to) you're not only just screening your goaltender but you're leaving that forward all alone to either be able to tip the shot or have all day to put in a rebound. I just don't understand it.

I know with the way the game's called now you can't butcher forwards in front of the net anymore like you once could (sadly), but you still can have a body on them, tie up their sticks, and move them out of your goaltender's way and not give them free reign in front of the net. Just doesn't make sense to me. Never has.

And yes, I'm in agreement on the 1 on 2 situation. I'd still like to see it but like I said before, there really isn't ever a reason not to step up in a numerical situation like that.
Yea, it drives me ****ing nuts that people can just stand in front of our goal unmolested. If anything, our dmen just help screen our goalie. I think that's a big problem with Craw this year. He doesn't seem able to find the puck as well as some other goalies through traffic.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:17 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Yea, it drives me ****ing nuts that people can just stand in front of our goal unmolested. If anything, our dmen just help screen our goalie. I think that's a big problem with Craw this year. He doesn't seem able to find the puck as well as some other goalies through traffic.
This is nothing new. IE. For dmen to be passive in front of Crawford and for Crawford himself to fail to pick up point shots with traffic in front. It was a weakness last year as well .... and last night Emery got caught the same way. Too many players standing in front unmolested is the main reason the goalies tend to look bad on such plays. That and our failure to cover the point men. Once again, it seems to point to the system the players have been coached to play. Personally, I hate when Hawks play passive hockey. I'm no Brian Burke fan, but I do agree with his premise that having a team that opps hate to play against is important.

Old
12-09-2011, 06:14 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
This is nothing new. IE. For dmen to be passive in front of Crawford and for Crawford himself to fail to pick up point shots with traffic in front. It was a weakness last year as well .... and last night Emery got caught the same way. Too many players standing in front unmolested is the main reason the goalies tend to look bad on such plays. That and our failure to cover the point men. Once again, it seems to point to the system the players have been coached to play. Personally, I hate when Hawks play passive hockey. I'm no Brian Burke fan, but I do agree with his premise that having a team that opps hate to play against is important.
yea, I'd rather the hawks play aggressively because if they give up the same number of goals, but play agressively on d, I feel like that will also lead to at least 30 more goals over the course of a season.

Right now its kinda just a cluster****.

Old
12-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

this was a good game overall and all I can read is complaining and whining....

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 07:05 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

It is the regular season that top teams try and perfect their game for the playoff run. Some may call it complaining and whining, but I'm certain the coaching staff have the same attitudes in the desire to improve. They don't use stats, that can be skewed, to make conclusions.... only to verify what they already know needs improvement. .

Old
12-10-2011, 04:09 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
This team isn't complete enough personel wise to destroy teams behind them in the standings. I think it will be though, after the cap space is spent. For now, just be happy with a win because if you are waiting for an extra gear or something, you're not going to see it.
This is far from a guarantee and people believing that we are going to take on a big-salary player are going to be disappointed. The team may be well under the cap, but they are also paying out $8mil to Olesz and Huet and I don't believe Rocky is willing to do that and get close to the cap with this year's team.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote