Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nice article about Downtown Winnipeg redevelopment spurred by the NHL

Old
12-09-2011, 02:50 PM
rkp

vCash: 500
I am from a time when a good number of cinemas existed downtown(I remember seeing the Raiders of the Lost Ark at the old Met...it did have a great atmosphere!), and with now only the Imax, Town and Globe, it would be nice to have something like the Silver City for all the new people moving downtown or else they will be just going out to the suburbs with there descretionary funds on ordinary day/night when nothing else going on and they feel like stepping out instead of staying in....might be another good way to get people out and about.....there are lot of neat little places to eat in the exchange area after a night out at the movies.

rkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Is this IN ADDITION to the 25 story apartment that is about to be constructed?
I think peter meant the apartment tower (I think he was referring to Heritage Landing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCapp View Post
Is that the 25-storey building that got moved away from the south side of the Manitoba Club on Broadway, because it would have blocked the sun to said Club's dining room? (A historical site was suddenly raised to relevancy at that moment.)
not sure, unless it became Heritage Landing on Assiniboine, or peter was talking about some other building. just to add, there's this new beauty proposed and hopefully it goes up (Green Seed seems to be behind the development...same architects as the You Cubes http://www.5468796.ca/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
He is also messing up the rapid transit corridor. He was offered the money to complete the corridor up to U of M, but is holding out to get more money for light-rail transit. Meanwhile, the corridor will remain incomplete - by that, I mean only extend up to Jubilee - until 2015 at the earliest.
Yeah, he's dropped the ball on that one. RT's future could get worse in January...but if Sammy pulls through with Light Rail somehow, then I'll forget about him holding out. I'd rather see LRT in Winnipeg than BRT; its more progressive. Costs much more though, I don't think we can afford it. We could build an entire BRT system for the same price as one LRT line....maybe convert it in a few decades as Ottawa did/is currently doing to their system.

Quote:
Good! Calgary is a city that lacks culture, character and class. It's downtown is nothing but glass and steel (modernism), and a place there isn't much residential housing, so all it really is is a bunch of stuffy shirts that flow in at 830am and flow out at 530pm. Their downtown is deader in the evenings than either Winnipeg's or Edmontons. I would hate for Winnipeg (or Edmonton) to emulate such nothingness as a downtown
haha, well Calgary certainly lacks a vibrant arts scene, I'll give you that. Doesn't compare to Edmonton or Winnipeg at all, no.

But I wouldn't go as far to say it lacks culture, character, and class. Its the fourth most multicultural city in Canada (after the big 3), its got a somewhat bland character (which arguably could be its character) but its a really forward thinking city in a lot of ways, and its got its classy crowd. There are certainly more "classier" joints in Calgary than Winnipeg or Edmonton...all of 17th is more of a "classy" crowd, and some of the high end restaurants in the city are pretty good for that.

Downtown might be nothing but glass & steel...but what it lacks in history (like Winnipeg's exchange buildings) or surrounding scenery (like Edmonton's stunning river valley) it makes up for it in some of the tallest and best looking buildings in the country (EAP, Bow, Suncor, Canterra, Jamieson, some new proposals like Herald sq.; all stunning esp. the Bow...I wouldn't mind some of Cow Town's towers in the Peg), not to mention when it is packed, it absolutely packed; their skywalk system is actually active and doesn't kill their street vibe since there's so many people walking on both levels, and they have some great infrastructure down there. It's well thought out, and has some nice RT lines cutting through. It feels like a downtown of a 3 million populated city, not 1 million. But yes, it can get dead in the eve, other than Stephen ave and a few other downtown joints. That has more to do with the sheer scope of the area, as most of the best places to hit up in Calgary are in or near the downtown area at night.

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:39 PM
suitup17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
We have one on Kenaston.
Is that open yet?

suitup17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Hammer Slammer
Tayler Mayors

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitup17 View Post
Is that open yet?
I think it opened last month.

12-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
haha, well Calgary certainly lacks a vibrant arts scene, I'll give you that. Doesn't compare to Edmonton or Winnipeg at all, no.

But I wouldn't go as far to say it lacks culture, character, and class. Its the fourth most multicultural city in Canada (after the big 3), its got a somewhat bland character (which arguably could be its character) but its a really forward thinking city in a lot of ways, and its got its classy crowd. There are certainly more "classier" joints in Calgary than Winnipeg or Edmonton...all of 17th is more of a "classy" crowd, and some of the high end restaurants in the city are pretty good for that.

Downtown might be nothing but glass & steel...but what it lacks in history (like Winnipeg's exchange buildings) or surrounding scenery (like Edmonton's stunning river valley) it makes up for it in some of the tallest and best looking buildings in the country (EAP, Bow, Suncor, Canterra, Jamieson, some new proposals like Herald sq.; all stunning esp. the Bow...I wouldn't mind some of Cow Town's towers in the Peg), not to mention when it is packed, it absolutely packed; their skywalk system is actually active and doesn't kill their street vibe since there's so many people walking on both levels, and they have some great infrastructure down there. It's well thought out, and has some nice RT lines cutting through. It feels like a downtown of a 3 million populated city, not 1 million. But yes, it can get dead in the eve, other than Stephen ave and a few other downtown joints. That has more to do with the sheer scope of the area, as most of the best places to hit up in Calgary are in or near the downtown area at night.
You give Calgary way more credit than it deserve. I puke a little in my mouth everytime someone gushes about that city, which no matter how to try to spin it, can't hold a candle to either Edmonton or Winnipeg. Tall flashy skyscrapers do not make a city better than others.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Should chill with the city bashing man. We complain when others do the same to the 'Peg, shouldn't sink to that level.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
You give Calgary way more credit than it deserve. I puke a little in my mouth everytime someone gushes about that city, which no matter how to try to spin it, can't hold a candle to either Edmonton or Winnipeg. Tall flashy skyscrapers do not make a city better than others.
I agree with Falcon.

Calgary is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. I kind of think of Winnipeg and Edmonton as "blue-collar" type cities and Calgary as "white-collar". Not because of wealth per se, but Wpg/Edm are kind of gritty character driven cities with tons of culture, whereas Calgary is more of suburban, generic city but it is very nice and classy place. I like Calgary personally. (BTW, just my impressions, they might be not be how other people see I know)

Also of note though, roccerfella was talking about it but I would love for WPG to get a LRT system. As cities grow they become expensive, but they have to implemented right. In Edmonton they built like 2 lines 30 years ago and it fell into disrepair and nobody was using it. But now they are expanding/expanded it to the Uni and further south and are trying to get a west line as well, you will see it will be vital. With LRT's you need to go all out, or not at all. IF WPG can get a proper LRT system(at least 3 lines running, which includes U of M and downtown at the very least) it is worth it, but do not do it half-assed.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:05 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

I saw "Return of the Jedi" at the Met....barely remember it but it happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkp View Post
I am from a time when a good number of cinemas existed downtown(I remember seeing the Raiders of the Lost Ark at the old Met...it did have a great atmosphere!), and with now only the Imax, Town and Globe, it would be nice to have something like the Silver City for all the new people moving downtown or else they will be just going out to the suburbs with there descretionary funds on ordinary day/night when nothing else going on and they feel like stepping out instead of staying in....might be another good way to get people out and about.....there are lot of neat little places to eat in the exchange area after a night out at the movies.

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

I'd love to see the Mclaren hotel replaced by...umm..anything?

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:23 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

and the St.Regis. that place HAS to go. and ASAP>

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFalcon View Post
I'd love to see the Mclaren hotel replaced by...umm..anything?

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:31 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
I saw "Return of the Jedi" at the Met....barely remember it but it happened!

I saw the original Tron at the Met - wee tyke was I back then.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:50 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

We're big time now... Swiss Chalet FTW!

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:59 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Great blog - some awesome pics:

http://www.winnipeglovehate.com/

Old
12-10-2011, 03:19 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I agree with Falcon.

Calgary is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. I kind of think of Winnipeg and Edmonton as "blue-collar" type cities and Calgary as "white-collar". Not because of wealth per se, but Wpg/Edm are kind of gritty character driven cities with tons of culture, whereas Calgary is more of suburban, generic city but it is very nice and classy place. I like Calgary personally. (BTW, just my impressions, they might be not be how other people see I know)

Also of note though, roccerfella was talking about it but I would love for WPG to get a LRT system. As cities grow they become expensive, but they have to implemented right. In Edmonton they built like 2 lines 30 years ago and it fell into disrepair and nobody was using it. But now they are expanding/expanded it to the Uni and further south and are trying to get a west line as well, you will see it will be vital. With LRT's you need to go all out, or not at all. IF WPG can get a proper LRT system(at least 3 lines running, which includes U of M and downtown at the very least) it is worth it, but do not do it half-assed.
I very much agree regarding your LRT thoughts.

I would really prefer it, in fact I don't see any advantage of BRT other than cost factor. LRT makes more sense in the long term simply on the basis it will be using renewable energy unlike BRT which makes no sense in a province where Hydro is a big part of our economy and is a crown corporation.

Some people defend BRT with respect to New Flyer, but its not like New Flyer's business is entirely dependant on supplying Winnipeg with a few Rapid Transit ready busses...and cities will always need busses. The point of RT is different. BRT came into being due to its cost effective nature.

If you're interested, you should read this (http://transportation.speakupwinnipeg.com/) to see which direction & options the city has, you might like it. There is a RT plan, but it shows how costly it can be. I don't know how the city would get that money...but it would be so awesome.

It should be mentioned even the current RT line, although it has been built for busses, it was designed to support LRT should it ever need to be upgraded (the levels at which the tunnel descends, ascends, and turns all accommodate the physics required for an LRT train or street car)

Sammy's said he's been trying to go for Street Cars (similar to what Quebec City will be doing) which would really cut some costs, and could look pretty neat - very European-esque - but financing is the big issue.

Old
12-10-2011, 04:08 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
(...)
Sammy's said he's been trying to go for Street Cars (similar to what Quebec City will be doing) which would really cut some costs, and could look pretty neat - very European-esque - but financing is the big issue.
Portage and Main, circa 1945:

Old
12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I had posted this in another thread but it seems much more appropriate here. downtown is going to start booming if it already isn't.

What continues to amaze me are the businesses throwing money away by not changing their hours the nights of Jets game. Two example on the opposite ends of the spectrum are the sushi restaraunt in City Place which is closed before games while the entire food court is jam packed with Jets fans. The other is Ichiban which on Saturday games which start at 6pm doesn't open until 4:30 pm.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...135154543.html

http://www.sharkclubs.com/
I'm surprised Portage Place and/or Cityplace arent open later due to the higher traffic downtown these days. Even if there isn't a Jets game, I'd bet Portage Place would still get decent traffic. Even to close at 8PM wouldnt be bad.

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:23 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Portage and Main, circa 1945:

Why they ever got rid of these, I'll never know.

But if P&M can be like this again one day...how awesome would that be? I think cars are too embedded in Winnipeg's fabric now.