HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Jamaica Glides Towards Ice Hockey At 2018 Olympics

Old
12-10-2011, 05:13 PM
mchose

vCash: 500
Jamaica Glides Towards Ice Hockey At 2018 Olympics

Anybody recall a John Candy film based on a true story about a Jamaican Bobsled team? How they impressed the world, coming from a place that knows no snow. Well here we go again!

Bombaat!I thought this was pretty awesome, It'll be interesting to see if they qualify! (highly doubt it)

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports1.html

mchose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:29 PM
v-man

Great to see them trying to bring some diversity to the sport, but It's not even possible for them to qualify for 2014, as first they'd have to be accepted into the IIHF, and then consecutively win each of the lower level championships (beginning at Division 3) just to get to the point where they qualify to play in the qualification round for the last three Olympic spots. Since those spots are awarded a year prior to the games, there is not enough time for them to even get half way there, meaning their fight is over before it began. One would think they'd have looked into such important and readily available details before going public. And lets face it, they're not going to be anywhere near good enough to get to the Olympic level for at least 20 years once their program starts.

EDIT: Actually, I'm partially wrong. They don't have to win that many championships, they just have to get up to #30 to get into the lowest qualification tournament. Since their yet to be certified team would start at #49, there's no way they can leap 19 spots by the time qualifying begins next year.

Last edited by v-man: 12-10-2011 at 10:03 PM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Nazem Bozak

nuff people say that cant believe... but jamaica we have an ice hockey team?

Nazem Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:32 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
At the risk of stereotyping Caribbean countries, I hope for the same entertainment that Trinidad & Tobago's team provided in D2.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

They'd have fast players. But to be, one day, capable to play at an Olympic level is an ambitious objective and it could take 20 years to succeed.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Credit to them for trying but it won't be a pretty few years for them. Saying that, teams have come from stranger places such as North Korea.

"Feel the rhythm, feel the jive, come on everybody it's....Ice Hockey time?"

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Fulcrum

They better double check WHERE the Olympics are going to be before going all out. They might be disappointed to find out when they get to Moscow that the olympics are in Sochi after all. lol

"Jamaica is well set to field an ice hockey team at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Moscow, Russia."

Hockey IMO is one of the hardest sport to win in. Not to take anything away from individual sports, but you don't need to start Bobsleighing very early in life (4-8 years old) to become a professional. No wonder it can take 20-30 years to get into the top 2 divisions nowadays..

Last edited by Fulcrum: 12-10-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Great to see them trying to bring some diversity to the sport, but It's not even possible for them to qualify for 2014, as first they'd have to be accepted into the IIHF, and then consecutively win each of the lower level championships (beginning at Division 3) just to get to the point where they qualify to play in the qualification round for the last three Olympic spots. Since those spots are awarded a year prior to the games, there is not enough time for them to even get half way there, meaning their fight is over before it began. One would think they'd have looked into such important and readily available details before going public. And lets face it, they're not going to be anywhere near good enough to get to the Olympic level for at least 20 years once their program starts.
Not only that, but they would also struggle to find anyone that would be eligible to play for them under IIHF rules.
There may be many hockey players that have Jamaican dual nationality, but that alone does not make a player eligible under the current IIHF rules.

I do wish them the best of luck though. Always great to see the sport of hockey reach new corners of the world.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:38 PM
metric

Feel the rhythm!
Feel the rhyme!
Get on up, it's hockey time!

COOOOOOOOOL RUNNINGS!

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:47 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Nobody would drop the gloves with Yul Brenner.

"I see a badass mudder, dat don't take no crap off of nobody.."

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:55 PM
BIitz
BPA Free Lining

The only chance Canada would have against this power squad is if they had Burrows to pull on the Jamaican players dreads.

BIitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:00 PM
BruinsHockey

As the late Great Bob Marley said,"No Boarding, No Cry."

If you play for Kingston can you automatically play for team Jamaica?

BruinsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsHockey View Post

If you play for Kingston can you automatically play for team Jamaica?
Good ol' Kingston rude boys, as Rasta Don Cherry would say

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:21 AM
molsonmuscle360

This could explain why there was a Jamaican guy at shinny last week asking us as we came off the ice if we wanted to be Jamaican citizens.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:04 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

SM-Liiga player Semir Ben-Amor (half Finn, half Tunisian) was asked to play for Tunisia's national hockey team couple of years ago... Declined.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Just ice the Frontenacs roster

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:18 AM
TMLOBI

Have you guys never heard of Donovan Davis? He came to Canada at the age of 16 and made a AA team. He was drafted the next year to the OHL and amassed 32 goals and 35 assists in his rookie year for the Windsor Spitfires. The following year he was hit by a car and was never able to play hockey again :'( . He would have probably been their captain. Oh well.

I do wish the Jamaican team the best of luck in this pursuit. I just think the odds are pretty stacked against them. The teams that are going to be in the tournament regardless are;

Canada, USA, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany, Belarus, and I don't think the Swiss are going anywhere. So are the Jamaicans going to take a spot from Norway or Lativia? And of course there are other teams waiting to get into the top 12 so I'd say it's impossible.

I agree it will take a MINIMUM 20 years for them to develop the sport enough to even consider going to the Olympics. The first thing is getting kids interested in the game. I am not sure how many ice rinks there are in Jamaica, but if I were to guess I would say not too many.

Good luck Jamaica... hope to see you in the finals one day

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:20 AM
Canada4Gold

Jamaican me laugh

Getting to the olympics just isn't a thing you decide to do on a whim. They may get there in 20 years, not a chance for 2014

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:20 AM
TMLOBI

hmm so I searched Donovan Davis in google after I made my poor attempt at humour and I found this guy

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecr...van-Davis-8579

I guess he switched over to football

TMLOBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:26 AM
JSBach

How would they garner enough interest from Jamaicans? I would think most would try skating, realize how hard it is, and conclude that it's not worth it because they could switch to sports that Jamaica dominates. It would take a lot of incredible marketing to get the sport known enough to inspire enough people to make a development program thrive. Sports aren't infused into a culture over night.

Anyway, all the best. Hockey is easily the most exciting sport and it needs to be known. Although, I don't think hockey will ever be very significant outside of the more traditional hockey countries. Y'know, the cold ones.

Last edited by JSBach: 12-11-2011 at 03:30 AM.
JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:24 AM
slovakiasnextone

Itīs a nice dream. Not sure if theyīre serious though? Either itīs a joke or they donīt know anything about how Olympic hockey works?

However letīs return to reality, hockey at the Olympics isnīt like some other sports where you can qualify even though youīre really bad just based on the country you come from.

For starters Jamaica isnīt even a member of the IIHF and since they probably have no home hockey league they also have no players who would fulfill the IIHF criteria in order to play at an IIHF tournament such as the Olympics.

Also the system for qualification for the Olympics is as follows:

Final Olympic Qualification (3 tournaments, 7-10 February 2013)

Nations ranked 10-18 plus the three winners from the Olympic Pre-Qualification.

Olympic Pre-Qualification (3 tournaments, 8-11 November 2012)

Nations ranked 19-27 plus qualifiers from any preliminary qualification required or ranked nations 28 and higher.

Since theyīre not a member of the IIHF and therefore are unranked right now, even if they would join the IIHF they would be rankd at the bottom and they would have played this preliminary qualification (which would be played at the latest during the summer of 2012 since the next pre-qualification is in November 2012). Even if by some miracle they managed to win this preliminary, where they would face some of the teams ranked 28-48 in IIHF ranking (which isnīt happening), between them for example Spain, who played Division I hockey not so long ago , they would have to face a number of the best Division I teams before they would even get the chance to be destroyed by the likes of Belarus, Latvia, Denmrk or Slovakia.

If they really wanna play hockey, why donīt try joining the IIHF and Division III tournaments at first?

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Jevo

So whens the first photoshops of Usain Bolt playing hockey coming in?

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:37 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Itīs a nice dream. Not sure if theyīre serious though? Either itīs a joke or they donīt know anything about how Olympic hockey works?

However letīs return to reality, hockey at the Olympics isnīt like some other sports where you can qualify even though youīre really bad just based on the country you come from.

For starters Jamaica isnīt even a member of the IIHF and since they probably have no home hockey league they also have no players who would fulfill the IIHF criteria in order to play at an IIHF tournament such as the Olympics.

Also the system for qualification for the Olympics is as follows:

Final Olympic Qualification (3 tournaments, 7-10 February 2013)

Nations ranked 10-18 plus the three winners from the Olympic Pre-Qualification.

Olympic Pre-Qualification (3 tournaments, 8-11 November 2012)

Nations ranked 19-27 plus qualifiers from any preliminary qualification required or ranked nations 28 and higher.

Since theyīre not a member of the IIHF and therefore are unranked right now, even if they would join the IIHF they would be rankd at the bottom and they would have played this preliminary qualification (which would be played at the latest during the summer of 2012 since the next pre-qualification is in November 2012). Even if by some miracle they managed to win this preliminary, where they would face some of the teams ranked 28-48 in IIHF ranking (which isnīt happening), between them for example Spain, who played Division I hockey not so long ago , they would have to face a number of the best Division I teams before they would even get the chance to be destroyed by the likes of Belarus, Latvia, Denmrk or Slovakia.

If they really wanna play hockey, why donīt try joining the IIHF and Division III tournaments at first?
After seeing that one of their representatives was responding to comments on the article, I posted the qualifications for them since they seem to be in the dark about the reality of the situation. The paper so far has neglected to approve my comment, so maybe they're just letting these guys dupe people into giving them money, knowing full well that nothing is going to come of it.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
At the risk of stereotyping Caribbean countries, I hope for the same entertainment that Trinidad & Tobago's team provided in D2.
I would spend lots of money to buy a D2 Trinidad jersey, the tye dye done, my god, it's amazing.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:00 PM
mchose

mchose is offline   Reply With Quote