HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Korpikoski

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Make

vCash: 500
In general TPS fans are a little disappointed in his play this season. I had high hopes for him this season, but imo he's been quite invicible in the matches I've seen. I think he needs to work on his play near the boards as he seems to get thrown away from the puck quite easily and looses balance too easily. He should also try to be more straight forward and shoot more. He seems to be somewhat inconsistant, for example if he makes a nice move in the beginning of the match he usually shows up for the whole game with hitting ect., if he doesn't he'll just have "normal" game. So the difference between a good day and a bad day is huge for him. But he always tries hard and in no ways is a lazy player even when not in his game.

He definately has the skill and sometimes makes very nice moves and good passes. He just needs to bulk up to do better in corners and against big defencemen. I think the Prucha comparison is good, but Lauri doesn't have the same scoring ability. He's more of a playmaker/ "all around ok " forward.

edit: He'll be in Finnish WJC team this year so you'll see him there too.

Old
12-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66
I like Korp but I think that a Zetterberg comparison is a little to high end for him. He kind of reminds me of a Hecht type. One of those players that looks good on paper but when you watch him play you see how much he really adds to the team.
Agreed, Zetterberg is a legitimate point per game player today and that was not the point I was trying to send. But Z is also in a great enviorment in Detroit. Had he played for Minnesota he might be happy to get 50-60 points instead of 70-80 in a year. I compare Korps to Z because what both brings to the game. Z have good vision but that dosen't separate him from many top line players in the league. For a player maker he for example is pretty avg. when setting up a PP. Z is good because he always moves his feets, the way he handles himself in traffic with a great low balance and his attitude. Z hockeysense might be a notch higher then Korps in the end.

I think these statistics shows allot too.

Alexander Steen 04-05 in the SEL:
50 games 9 goals 8 assists 17 points

Alexander Steen 05-06 in the NHL:
27 games 9 goals 8 assists 17 points

Petr Prucha
In europe:
47 games 7 goals 10 assists 17 points

In the NHL:
21 games 6 goals 3 assits

It ain't easy to score allot in Europe.

Last edited by Ola: 12-02-2005 at 07:44 AM.
Old
12-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Make #89
edit: He'll be in Finnish WJC team this year so you'll see him there too.
Those of us in the US won't. Makes me want Center Ice.

Old
12-02-2005, 09:51 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
My view on Korpikoski is currently this: He is a soldi two way player. Not a goal scorer but more like a future 3rd liner who will do the important so called "invisible work". Who knows if he regains his scoring touch in the mens level in the future but for now it seems like he isn't going to be a goal scorer.

Lately he has been playing in the third line with TPS. It has been tough for him since his head coach is complaining that the team management hasn't been willing to get him better players. He seems to be complaining a lot. Whether it's the older and more experienced players that doesn't please him or the younger promising players. Korpikoski said to me the other day that he is looking forward to join the Rangers' organization next summer so you might be see him sooner rather later in action.
Was just looking for your comments.

I have a timeline in my head similar to that of Jessiman when it comes to this kid. Getting him over here, and putting him in our system might be the best thing to do. Whether it's to the ECHL for half a year, or straight to the AHL, that will be decided in camp.

By the way, any truth to the military obligations affecting his play, and how would his obligations be any more of an excuse than other young Finnish players?

Old
12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Nemchinov13

Padawan, Ola, Make, Edge - thank you for your input. From the responses seen, it seems that Korpedo will be a nice complimentary 2nd line winger. If he'll get stronger, he'll be able to dig the puck out for his linemates, get a garbage goal (especially, if he's always around the puck) and set up his linemates with his hustle. I'll gladly have another Prucha-type player on the team. Everyone knows my penchant for bringing up the Devils, but if our players will be as hard working as theirs, I don't see why we won't be able to be perennial Stanley Cup contenders starting after year 3 from now.

Old
12-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Do you know what his miltary status is?
Actually, today in the mail was a magazine that has a Korpikoski interview. He is currently doing his mandatory military service and playing with TPS at the same time. Of course he gets a lot of so called "training vacation" from the army.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
By the way, any truth to the military obligations affecting his play, and how would his obligations be any more of an excuse than other young Finnish players?
He said in the interview that he didn't get the "training vacation" from the army during summer because he was then attending the basic training and during that time is very, very hard to get vacation from the army. Because of that, according Korpikoski, he said he lost most of the pre-season training and that definelty has affected his game during this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Jeff Hamilton would probably lead the finnish league in scoring if he played there, Lauri Korpikoski is what top 100 in scoring there this year. But if Renney without thinking about the future was forced to today pick one of Hamilton or Korpikoski to play on the 2nd line in NY I honestly think he would pick Korps.
Actually, Jeff Hamilton has played in the finnish sm-liiga in 2001-2002 season with Oulun Kärpät. Kärpät is a top team and he scored 18+15=33, +4 and 16 penalty minutes in 39 games. He was ranked third in points in his team and 38th overall in the league. Last years regular season Korpikoski was 219th overall in the league's regular season statistics and 91st overall in the play offs. Currently he is 200th best scorer in the league so far...

Old
12-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:

He said in the interview that he didn't get the "training vacation" from the army during summer because he was then attending the basic training and during that time is very, very hard to get vacation from the army. Because of that, according Korpikoski, he said he lost most of the pre-season training and that definelty has affected his game during this season.

I was thinking this exact thing before reading your reply. If he's doing training while playing, it's got to take something out of him during games.

Thanks for the reply.

Old
12-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
I was thinking this exact thing before reading your reply. If he's doing training while playing, it's got to take something out of him during games.

Thanks for the reply.
With "training vacation" I meant he didn't get the time off from the army to join TPS' summer training. This pre-season training is very important to a hockey players since it's pretty much is the foundation for the players to get through to season. He didn't get enough training during the summer and it shows.

In Finland players train hard during the season between games. The thing is, with the military service a hockey player won't get enough sleep. That means that his body doesn't revocer us much than without the military service. During rest the body's muscles also grow so lack of rest affects his physical strenght as well as his mental strenght.

Old
12-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Olympic nut

Quote:
With "training vacation" I meant he didn't get the time off from the army to join TPS' summer training. This pre-season training is very important to a hockey players since it's pretty much is the foundation for the players to get through to season. He didn't get enough training during the summer and it shows.

In Finland players train hard during the season between games. The thing is, with the military service a hockey player won't get enough sleep. That means that his body doesn't revocer us much than without the military service. During rest the body's muscles also grow so lack of rest affects his physical strenght as well as his mental strenght.
Do you think that that's enough to affect him this late in the season, Padawan? Will it affect his play all season long?

Old
12-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Good post and I just wanted to add that my comments on European players wheren't ment to credit them on the cost of canadian juniors for example. Its a fact that young CHL players are more effective then European players, they go through a much tougher climate. Which results that at a young age they are better in relation to there skills then european kids are. Thats never negative, but a result is that guys from the CHL who are tremendous scorers at the highest junior level, like CHL or the WJC, not always have the skills to back that up in the NHL and takes a step down the latter if they makes it.
I think I might disagree with you on that point a little.

I think European players as a whole, right now tend to be a little more effective than NHL players. I think the factor is that those meat and potato guys aren't going to ship themselves to america to make as much or less money than they can at home. Thus we see more CHL kids.

I've been disappointed with the CHL the last few years because frankly I've seen a lot of kids who dont understand the basics.

Old
12-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Do you think that that's enough to affect him this late in the season, Padawan? Will it affect his play all season long?
When the basic pre-season training is missed partly or whole, it will affect most of the season. Luckily, there are national team breaks and most teams usually train hard in those periods. Players who attend national team tournaments won't train hard so that'll show for them later on in the season. That's my view of the situation.

Old
12-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Olympic nut

Of course, that doesn't help Korpikoski immediately: he's going to the WJC...

Closed Thread