HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Wayne Simmonds

Old
12-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Wayne Train
who is lord stanley?

vCash: 500
Wayne Simmonds

Ok so for me, I think simmonds is an excellent 3rd line player. He's a perfect 3rd line player in my eyes: big, gritty, will fight when he has to, makes the occasional dangle, has ok/decent speed, and also hands of stone.

IMO, i think that because simmonds is such a great 3rd line player it's contributing a little bit to Briere's struggles. I think having a Read-Briere-JvR line and then a Voracek-Talbot/Couturier-Simmonds 3rd line is absolute dynamite.

What do you guys think about simmonds on the 2nd and JvR on the 3rd lines? I know JvR just got back but try and overlook that point. I just think the team is way better balanced with JvR on the 2nd then simmonds on the 3rd.

Wayne Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Esq.

I'd like to see JVR with Briere and Voracek on the second line, with Read, Talbot/Schenn, and Simmonds on the third line. I know Read and Briere have shown chemistry, but I think we need JVR to be a dominant player to have long-term success. Also, I think Voracek would fit better on that second line RW position than Simmonds.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Rob View Post
Ok so for me, I think simmonds is an excellent 3rd line player. He's a perfect 3rd line player in my eyes: big, gritty, will fight when he has to, makes the occasional dangle, has ok/decent speed, and also hands of stone.

IMO, i think that because simmonds is such a great 3rd line player it's contributing a little bit to Briere's struggles. I think having a Read-Briere-JvR line and then a Voracek-Talbot/Couturier-Simmonds 3rd line is absolute dynamite.

What do you guys think about simmonds on the 2nd and JvR on the 3rd lines? I know JvR just got back but try and overlook that point. I just think the team is way better balanced with JvR on the 2nd then simmonds on the 3rd.
I agree. I think simmonds is perfectly suited for a 3rd line 4th line role. He is tough, a net presence and very athletic and physical. But he is severly lacking in skill and he is the worst and i mean worst passer on the team. I have yet in two consecutive games see him make a good pass. And it severly hurts his teammates. Once the puck gets on his stick the puck just dies there.

They need to move Voracek up with read and Briere. Then have couturier with JVR and SImmonds.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:04 PM
SgtJoseph

I think Simmonds has under achieved for the most part....If he had Hartnell's heart and drive he would be one heck of a player.I really liked him for the Kings and was happy as heck when i heard he was coming to Philly.He started out like gang busters during the pre-season etc....But just has not found his groove yet....Hopefully he will start clicking more consistently....He has a lot of raw talent and i find myself really pulling for him to do well.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:05 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
They need to move Voracek up with read and Briere. Then have couturier with JVR and SImmonds.
It's like you're inside my head. I'd much rather see Simmonds on the 3rd line playing with a scorer and Coutuerier who needs to get off the 4th line. Having Voracek with Read on the 2nd line is better suited for Briere since they have some nice speed and ability to finish plays, something I think Simmonds is lacking currently.

I still don't know why Simmonds has PP time and what worries me is that when he scores that goal once or twice on the PP he is kept there rather than have his spot given to someone else who could make better use of it. It's not a knock of Simmonds, it's that he played above his ability to start the season and his playing time doesn't reflect what it really should be.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Makes the occasional dangle? Any time he has the puck thats all he wants to do..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:47 PM
dookie88

One thing I noticed lately is that he has an extremely light stick, he gets poke-checked, stick-lifted and downright stolen off the puck so easy.

He's a good third liner right now, I still wouldn't rule him out to get to the top6 level, I'd like him to gain some weight though.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:58 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
This seems like the best place to ask, and I figured the conversation in this forum would provide the best information rather than the Trade forum.

What are the chances he would be available for a defenseman like Nicklas Grossman? It's an Ek rumor (only the part about Phili looking at Grossman), but Dallas is about to have a logjam with 8 D in the next week or so, and Philip Larsen (despite being the easiest option to fix the issue by returning to the AHL) may have earned a full time role in the NHL.

Simmonds seems to be the best fit as a GM Joe type player and the potential to be available.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 07:08 PM
itstheo54

Simmonds is beast. That briere goal was sick.

itstheo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
This seems like the best place to ask, and I figured the conversation in this forum would provide the best information rather than the Trade forum.

What are the chances he would be available for a defenseman like Nicklas Grossman? It's an Ek rumor (only the part about Phili looking at Grossman), but Dallas is about to have a logjam with 8 D in the next week or so, and Philip Larsen (despite being the easiest option to fix the issue by returning to the AHL) may have earned a full time role in the NHL.

Simmonds seems to be the best fit as a GM Joe type player and the potential to be available.
He just scored again for us. 3 goals in his last 3 games. I don't think Holmgren really would be interested in trading him so soon after getting him. Particularly given how much roster turn over we've seen recently already.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

This guy is a bum...he killed Giroux!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:23 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Simmonds has done a good job again recently...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
It's like you're inside my head. I'd much rather see Simmonds on the 3rd line playing with a scorer and Coutuerier who needs to get off the 4th line. Having Voracek with Read on the 2nd line is better suited for Briere since they have some nice speed and ability to finish plays, something I think Simmonds is lacking currently.

I still don't know why Simmonds has PP time and what worries me is that when he scores that goal once or twice on the PP he is kept there rather than have his spot given to someone else who could make better use of it. It's not a knock of Simmonds, it's that he played above his ability to start the season and his playing time doesn't reflect what it really should be.
Watch what he does in front the net for us on the power plays and tell me that isn't valuable.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

I feel so bad for him now that the game's over... he's gotta be sick.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Psuhockey

Don't underestimate Simmons. Right now he may be suited more for the third line, but power forwards typically don't start producing until their late 20's. Johan Frazen, Dan Cleary, Ryan Smyth and Mike Knuble are perfect examples. These players were barely getting into the teens with goals until 27 or beyond. Simmons will improve with ice time.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Played a great game tonight

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:49 PM
rban*

A few years back we had two great net presence guys, Hartnell and Knuble. Hopefully with Simmonds we can get back to two instead of just one.

Power forward net presence, a la Franzen, Cleary et al. Every team needs as many as those as possible.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
A few years back we had two great net presence guys, Hartnell and Knuble. Hopefully with Simmonds we can get back to two instead of just one.

Power forward net presence, a la Franzen, Cleary et al. Every team needs as many as those as possible.

Its true, Richards was actually a realy good net presence for us and Talbot has been dong a good job this year as well.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Lebanese Leaf

SCARBOROUGH!

Just came in here to post that. We love Simmonds up here.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Don't underestimate Simmons. Right now he may be suited more for the third line, but power forwards typically don't start producing until their late 20's. Johan Frazen, Dan Cleary, Ryan Smyth and Mike Knuble are perfect examples. These players were barely getting into the teens with goals until 27 or beyond. Simmons will improve with ice time.
I've really been impressed with Simmonds' compete level. He's got a huge amount of heart. He's still a skinny kid, in another year or two he's going to fill out a bit more and have strength to go with his speed and grit. A dynamite player.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Looks like Simmonds is starting to put up some numbers. Kings are missing him big time. Anybody interested in my authentic Kings Simmonds jersey?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:07 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
SCARBOROUGH!

Just came in here to post that. We love Simmonds up here.
Scarborough is well represented in the NHL!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:30 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Its true, Richards was actually a realy good net presence for us and Talbot has been dong a good job this year as well.
Well, there are different levels of competence in this... sure Talbot and Richards may do it to some extent, but not to the level of Franzen and Cleary. We need people who can do it at a similar level ... Knuble was almost at that level, Hartnell may get there.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:23 PM

vCash: 50
Simmonds shouldn't leave the opposition half. When he does, bad things happen.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Simmonds shouldn't leave the opposition half. When he does, bad things happen.
Actually his defensive stats are pretty good.

Edit: Simmonds, Read and Couturier have the best numbers thus far. I haven't checked the quality of competition, but still..I never would have predicted that before the season.