HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

If the Wild had all state natives on the roster...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2011, 02:53 PM
  #76
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,519
vCash: 50
http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv...ince=&state=MN

That is the only thing you need my friend...I would suggest you look at the names on that list and what they did in their careers. All born and raised here in the Land of 10,000 lakes.

Also:

Quote:
According to USA Hockey, Minnesota produces the most Division 1 hockey players, and that isn't even close. Currently, slightly more than 40% of Division 1 hockey players are Minnesotans.

Minnesota also has the highest number of players drafted by NHL teams every year, and it has been that way for some time. However, both Michigan and Massachussets produce quite a bit of hockey talent as well. Just not as much as Minnesota.

Not surprising though. If you look at last year's high school hockey rankings, Minnesota high school hockey teams absolutely dominate the rankings.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/hocke...#ixzz1gARE7Otb
or since you like NHL things:

Quote:
US Hockey Hall Of Fame by state, through 2008

(place of birth/high school or prep)

Minnesota 48/52
Massachusetts 35/37
Michigan 13/13
New York 5/7
New Hampshire 3/6
North Dakota 3/1
Rhode Island 2/2
Pennsylvania 2/1
Connecticut 2/1
Wisconsin 1/2
Illinois 1/2
New Jersey 1/1
Texas 1/0
California 1/0
Oklahoma 1/0
Washington DC 1/0
Missouri 1/0
Colorado 0/1

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/hocke...#ixzz1gARTkv9S

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 03:00 PM
  #77
TurnStyles5
Registered User
 
TurnStyles5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
If 18 Minnesota high school hockey players on NHL rosters is alot to you guys than end of argument. Remember like I said, that's about 2.5% of the roster spots avaliable in the NHL. That's not a big number to me, but remember that's New York math. Your state does not produce that many NHL players that have made a difference in the NHL. Has a Minnesota guy ever finished in the top 20 in scoring in the NHL. If you have so many great players in Minny than how come only 18 are on NHL rosters right know. Seems to me if "We are hockey period.." Than you should have more than 2.5% of the players in the leauge right? Your high school hockey is overrated as far as the nhl guys are concerened because you only get 10-12 guys drated every year. This year there is not one Minnesota high schooler rated in the top 60 in the NHL draft. That to me does not = 'We are hockey period..." If your lucky this year out of the 210 kids that get drafted you might have 6-8 guys that played high school hockey this year get drafted. That's 4% of the draft folks. For the poster that really thinks there playing high school hockey any where else other than the Boston area there not. All the good kids play for Culver, Little Ceasers, Honey Baked ,Madison Capitals, Pittsburgh Hornets, Chicago Chill, Chicago Mission, Dallas Stars, Phoneix Road Runners, Junior Saint Louis Blues. I could name 20 more if you want. These teams are being coached by X NHLers and they all play for 9 months of the year and play more than 24 games (which for most Minnesota high school teams you maybe have 5-7 games all year that are played with any jam at all). Maybe you should change that comment to "We are NOT hockey period..."
Simply we are stating that Minnesota, as a whole, is hockey period. From top to bottom, squirts to the NHL. No other state has produced more NHLers than Minnesota. So, really you're argument needs to end. The bolded part of your statement is just ignorant really. 9 months of the year? Hockey is a full year-round sport in Minnesota. No breaks. And you can't say that's how it use to be, because I went through it, as did both of my younger brothers. 5-7 games a year? Really? Not sure what brought you to hate Minnesota hockey so much, whether you are from a different state or not, but your strongly biased opinions are terribly wrong.

TurnStyles5 is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 03:07 PM
  #78
Stepanformayor*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
First off the school is called Shattuck not Shattucks. Parise did not play Bantam hockey in Minnesota He was only here because his dad worked at Shattuck.. My whole point is that high school hockey in Minnesota is not that great. If you have so many great high school players than why are they not in the NHL. There is a break down somewhere, where is it?. Why is it that your Gopher program can not finish higher than 5th or 6th in the WCHA the last 5 years. There all Minnesota high schoolers. You know why, because the other states are catching you because all you have there is high school hockey. If you had AAA Midget hockey in that state you would dominate. If your high school hockey is so great should you be producing more than 1-2 kids every 2-3 yeasr that play in the NHL. Last year you had Stepan and Leddy step up and play this year you have Gardiner, Faust who left high school hockey and went to Ann Arbour. Really in the last 3-4 years thats it for Minny boys. If you only get 1-3 kids every 3-4 years is that = "We are hockey period..."

Stepanformayor* is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 03:09 PM
  #79
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
ITT some moron tries to argue completely different points than other people.

tomgilbertfan is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
  #80
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 50
Matt Cullen - Moorhead
T.J. Oshie - Warroad
Jamie Langenbrunner - Clouquet
Tom Gilbert - Bloomington Jefferson
David Backes - Spring Lake Park
Erik Johnson - Holy Angels
Keith Ballard - Lake of the Woods
Toby Petersen - Bloominton Jefferson
Paul Martin - Elk River
Alex Goligoski - Grand Rapids
Jordan Leopold - Armstrong
Mark Stuart - Rochester Lourdes
Peter Mueller - Breck
Blake Wheeler - Breck
Nick Leddy - Eden Prairie
Jake Gardiner - Minnetonka
Jason Blake - Moorhead
Ryan Carter - White Bear Lake
Matt Niskanen - Virginia
Ryan Mcdonagh - Cretin Derham
Mike Lundin - Apple Valley

The list goes on and on for Minnesota High School players who are currently in the NHL. This was just a sample.

TaLoN is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
  #81
TurnStyles5
Registered User
 
TurnStyles5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Please Stepanlover, tell us who or what state is better? Your beloved New York? I hope you say so because that is quite comical.

TurnStyles5 is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 03:51 PM
  #82
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,352
vCash: 50
And, we can't include anyone who played high school, before moving on to juniors or something. And even if they finished high school first, we still can't count them if they went to the Canadian major junior after.

So basically...everyone else trains Minnesota born players that make it to the NHL, Minnesota has nothing to do with it. Thus it's purely coincidence that Minnesota has anything to do with any player in the NHL, and leads all other States.

TaLoN is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 04:59 PM
  #83
Atomic Punk
Mean Streets
 
Atomic Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Panama
Country: United States
Posts: 8,745
vCash: 50
I am not originally from MN. Been here only 6 years. But I have lived in 6-7 states and travel for biz all over the country. My neighbor's kids play year-round. The HS hockey seems to be what comes after all the other seasons of year-round hockey. I have a lit outdoor rink in the park off my back yard which is full every day/night. It seems to be the focus of every parent.

Also, with the old UND coach in Omaha now (and he recruits MN a lot), the HS kids are off to ND, UNO, UND more so than staying home at UM.

My only complaint is the style of hockey that is taught here doesn't seem to translate to 'pretty' hockey. Not talking Shattuck....but HS hockey. But as a Hawks fan, Leddy is a great skater and well advanced in hockey sense than other young D-men. So I might be a little off there. Just trying to think of a slick skating, high scoring player(s) that come form here on a consistent basis.

Atomic Punk is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 05:29 PM
  #84
GORGO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BABBITT, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
I'm jumping into the frying pan here, but here goes: Been here all my life. Played HS hockey here and love the MN teams and i'm very proud of our hockey heritage, but this mentality that just because someone grew up here playing High school hockey automatically means we should fill both the Gopher and Wild rosters, and now the TV booth with MN kids is ridiculous..This to me is a huge reason why the U keeps failing.. Too much pressure to recruit 95% MN kids..Fletch felt the pressure to hire a MN guy in Richards...Where'd that get him? I hate to tell you people but there is a whole lot of good hockey players in this country now that Do Not come from MN. and never played High school hockey in our state.. IMO.. MN high school hockey and MN hockey in general IS falling behind. I've said it for several year's now well before New York's mayor came along. The High school league has too much power. If i had a son who had a chance to get to the next level. MN high school hockey is the last place he'd play.

GORGO is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 05:33 PM
  #85
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
I'm jumping into the frying pan here, but here goes: Been here all my life. Played HS hockey here and love the MN teams and i'm very proud of our hockey heritage, but this mentality that just because someone grew up here playing High school hockey automatically means we should fill both the Gopher and Wild rosters, and now the TV booth with MN kids is ridiculous..This to me is a huge reason why the U keeps failing.. Too much pressure to recruit 95% MN kids..Fletch felt the pressure to hire a MN guy in Richards...Where'd that get him? I hate to tell you people but there is a whole lot of good hockey players in this country now that Do Not come from MN. and never played High school hockey in our state.. IMO.. MN high school hockey and MN hockey in general IS falling behind. I've said it for several year's now well before New York's mayor came along. The High school league has too much power. If i had a son who had a chance to get to the next level. MN high school hockey is the last place he'd play.
Richards was not given enough time, nor enough talent. Aside from that point I felt like making (I was a Richards supporter) I feel the rest of your entire post is complete BS. No offense.

651* is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 05:35 PM
  #86
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Richards was a bad coach. He had NO idea how to deal with players, as is clear from his multitude of bag skates that did nothing and every player this year saying its so nice to "be able to know what their role is".
All the time in the world wouldn't make him a good coach.

tomgilbertfan is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 05:38 PM
  #87
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,779
vCash: 500
I work and go shopping one day...

In the future, please make use of the "report" button if you think it's trolling. Thanks. I'm going to give this thread one more shot but know it's on thin ice.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 05:39 PM
  #88
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Today I learned what that little triangle does.

tomgilbertfan is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 06:09 PM
  #89
GORGO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BABBITT, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWW View Post
Richards was not given enough time, nor enough talent. Aside from that point I felt like making (I was a Richards supporter) I feel the rest of your entire post is complete BS. No offense.
And yes you are entitled TYOO. but simply put and with all do respect, it's just that said mentality i was refering to. "Richards was not given enough time" It's a typical make excuses type of response. "The MN born player/coach can do no wrong" But unfortunetly that type of thinking keeps us stuck in mediocrity or less than.. in the gophers case.. Good day my friend I've got a hockey game to watch..

GORGO is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 06:22 PM
  #90
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
And yes you are entitled TYOO. but simply put and with all do respect, it's just that said mentality i was refering to. "Richards was not given enough time" It's a typical make excuses type of response. "The MN born player/coach can do no wrong" But unfortunetly that type of thinking keeps us stuck in mediocrity or less than.. in the gophers case.. Good day my friend I've got a hockey game to watch..
The bottom line is he wasn't given much time at all.


And if he is such an incompetent, why is he currently a coach in the league?

651* is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 06:26 PM
  #91
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 96
vCash: 500
I don't really see much of a hometown player/coach can do no wrong type mentality with the Wild.

I don't think Minnesota as a whole is unique in getting a little extra satisfaction from seeing a local kid make it to the big show with the hometown team. Bulls fans would love Derrick Rose no matter where he was from, but they still dig the fact that he grew up there. It crops up with the Wild more than other teams in town because there are more Minnesotans worth a look in hockey than in other sports, and by quite a large margin.

Averman is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 06:33 PM
  #92
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWW View Post
The bottom line is he wasn't given much time at all.


And if he is such an incompetent, why is he currently a coach in the league?
He's an assistant with the worst team in the league. I don't think that's the sort of thing you put on your resume.

squidz* is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 06:41 PM
  #93
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
He's an assistant with the worst team in the league. I don't think that's the sort of thing you put on your resume.
And he's still a coach in the league. End of discussion.

651* is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 06:52 PM
  #94
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWW View Post
And he's still a coach in the league. End of discussion.
And he's not a head coach. End of discussion.

There's a reason he hasn't gotten a new head coaching position.

squidz* is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 06:59 PM
  #95
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
And he's not a head coach. End of discussion.

There's a reason he hasn't gotten a new head coaching position.
I'll agree to disagree on this with you, thanks. You aren't in the league if you aren't a well-rounded hockey mind.

651* is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 07:07 PM
  #96
ChexLeMeneux
Registered User
 
ChexLeMeneux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWW View Post
The bottom line is he wasn't given much time at all.


And if he is such an incompetent, why is he currently a coach in the league?
You can say he was not given much time but at the same time he did not do much with the time he had.

ChexLeMeneux is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 07:08 PM
  #97
djgriff
Registered User
 
djgriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWW View Post
I'll agree to disagree on this with you, thanks. You aren't in the league if you aren't a well-rounded hockey mind.
Yes you have to be smart to be a coach in the NHL. Richards problem seemed to lie more in motivation and keeping the team together. A good coach does not always make a good head coach IMO.

djgriff is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 02:20 PM
  #98
Mike Jones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
I think this team would be bananas:

...

What would your team look like?
I think this would be a cool idea but it would never happen. For some strange reason a number of NHL teams refuse to tap the hockey talent in their own back yards. I've always been mystified that teams like the Wild, Leafs (Although this has recently changed somewhat), Wings, and Canadiens do so little to draft and sign local players who have moved on to contribute to other organizations.

I understand the need to sign the best players available but for me that doesn't mean teams like the Wild ignore hometown (Or home state or province) players who have earned the chance to play for the home team.

An outsider's two cents...

Mike Jones is online now  
Old
07-31-2012, 04:30 PM
  #99
Jopsey
Registered User
 
Jopsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
An all Minnesotan team

What's the best lineup you can make with current NHL players from only Minnesota

Jopsey is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 04:41 PM
  #100
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Parise-Backes-Wheeler
Mueller-Stepan-Okposo
Cullen-M. Hendricks-Langenbrunner
R. Carter-O'Brien-Alberts

Defense is really tough

Byfuglien-McDonagh
E. Johnson-Gologoski
Gilbert-Martin
Ex. Leddy, McBain, Faulk, Gardiner

There aren't really any goalies but I'll go

Stalock
Patterson

Jaykay is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.