HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avalanche vs. Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 07:09 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
Yes. It was the worst broadcast pair I've ever heard. Like Jori said, at one point they said the Avs franchise has been in Colorado for 13 years, then they immediately said "since 1995." It's one thing to not know the facts, but that's just math retardation. JD also said at one point that neither the Avs nor Rangers had gone to OT this year. Then he said a few minutes later that they had actually played two OT games, and that he called both of them. They also constantly misidentified players -- I was actually pining for Gary Thorne. How 'bout that?
Yep and they thought Hinote scored the GTG. They also mentioned that the PP did not have a goal prior to the game against the Avs despite scoring PP goals in their last two games.

Old
11-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Yep and they thought Hinote scored the GTG.
That one I'll give them a mulligan on, because 13 and 18 do look alike, and it was more of a Hinote style goal than a Tanguay style goal. But that was the Avs top line of Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk, so maybe he should have known better.

I will say one thing, they aren't homers. They gave a pretty balanced view on penalties, even saying that they didn't think that Kono tried to hurt Kovalev, which is correct. If Kono goes full bore, it would have been Lemeiux-Draper all over again - scary play.

And someone mentioned the officiating again - it was pretty piss-poor. The dive that Simon took when Hejduk tugged on him was so blatant that he should have been giving a minor as well.

The Brigley goal was awesome. You don't see many down and dirty goals like that scored by the Avs, it was nice to see. I don't know how much he adds to our lineup, but he sure doesn't appear to be hurting us.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:24 AM
4hockey8

Quote:
That one I'll give them a mulligan on, because 13 and 18 do look alike, and it was more of a Hinote style goal than a Tanguay style goal. But that was the Avs top line of Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk, so maybe he should have known better.

I will say one thing, they aren't homers. They gave a pretty balanced view on penalties, even saying that they didn't think that Kono tried to hurt Kovalev, which is correct. If Kono goes full bore, it would have been Lemeiux-Draper all over again - scary play.

And someone mentioned the officiating again - it was pretty piss-poor. The dive that Simon took when Hejduk tugged on him was so blatant that he should have been giving a minor as well.

The Brigley goal was awesome. You don't see many down and dirty goals like that scored by the Avs, it was nice to see. I don't know how much he adds to our lineup, but he sure doesn't appear to be hurting us.
See Glen Sather's quote on what set up the Brigley goal:

Bridged
Rangers coach Glen Sather accused Colorado defenseman John-Michael Liles of taking a dive to successfully draw a penalty on Kovalev at 4:17 of the third period. Travis Brigley scored for the Avs with three seconds remaining on the power play, and Sather remarked that Liles looked as if he had fallen off the 42nd Street Bridge.

Of course, there is no such bridge in New York.

I thought it was pretty iffy, until I saw the replay. Liles definitely got it good in the lower back (even though he was smiling after getting up...)

Old
11-03-2003, 08:27 AM
SilverSkate

Hope you enjoyed the ‘Colorado Bears’ this past weekend!! The ‘Hershey Lightning’ lost both games this weekend! The only Colorado players left are Slovak, Viitanen, & Saviels, & the goalies. (I don’t know if Clark & Brule count.) Everyone else is either Hershey or Lightening property. Oops, I forgot the one Dallas player we have.

Kuleshov is still out with his hamstring injury & might return Wednesday. Krestanovich is out from his kitchen accident!! His return is unknown.

What is in that Denver water system that makes everyone's bones & joints so brittle?

Old
11-03-2003, 08:37 AM
DarioinDenver

The crosscheck on Liles was the right call. If it's a push up on the shoulder blades that knocks a guy over that's one thing but when they put it in the small of your back and give you the whip lash treatment then that needs to be called. Slather is a tired act. He's going down in hard and will likely never recover from this NY Ranger experiment.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
I was actually pining for Gary Thorne. How 'bout that?
That says more about you than it does about JD. Sick *******.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
The crosscheck on Liles was the right call. If it's a push up on the shoulder blades that knocks a guy over that's one thing but when they put it in the small of your back and give you the whip lash treatment then that needs to be called.
Absolutely. The play was over and Kovalev just drilled him out of the blue. How could Liles take a dive when he doesn't even know it's coming? Kovalev showed zero discipline and that's who Sather should be blaming. But of course, a team not showing any discipline reflects upon the coach and we all know who the coach is. Let's blame somebody else; that's always worked so well for teams in the past.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:09 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Absolutely. The play was over and Kovalev just drilled him out of the blue. How could Liles take a dive when he doesn't even know it's coming? Kovalev showed zero discipline and that's who Sather should be blaming. But of course, a team not showing any discipline reflects upon the coach and we all know who the coach is. Let's blame somebody else; that's always worked so well for teams in the past.
I'm mailing these guys a tissue: Money quotes from the NY Times:

Kovalev and Rangers Coach Glen Sather thought Liles was guilty of more than a little acting on the play.

"He took a dive off the 42nd Street Bridge," Sather said. "But to put yourself in that position, that's what we're trying to improve."

Sather wants Kovalev and the rest of the Rangers to play with more discipline. But after the game, Kovalev was candid about his belief that the referees have a double standard when it comes to what they call against him and the liberties other players can take with him.

"It's always been like that," Kovalev said. "I didn't hit him there. I just kind of pushed him in front of the net and he pretended like I hit him hard.

"Sometimes, I guess, it depends on who you are. If it would have been me, they probably wouldn't have called it. Rob Blake hit me like that in front of the net at the end of the game; it was the same thing, and they didn't call it."

Old
11-03-2003, 09:59 AM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I'm mailing these guys a tissue: Money quotes from the NY Times:

Kovalev and Rangers Coach Glen Sather thought Liles was guilty of more than a little acting on the play.

"He took a dive off the 42nd Street Bridge," Sather said. "But to put yourself in that position, that's what we're trying to improve."

Sather wants Kovalev and the rest of the Rangers to play with more discipline. But after the game, Kovalev was candid about his belief that the referees have a double standard when it comes to what they call against him and the liberties other players can take with him.

"It's always been like that," Kovalev said. "I didn't hit him there. I just kind of pushed him in front of the net and he pretended like I hit him hard.

"Sometimes, I guess, it depends on who you are. If it would have been me, they probably wouldn't have called it. Rob Blake hit me like that in front of the net at the end of the game; it was the same thing, and they didn't call it."
kovalev should join bertuzzi nad brian burke and they can all cry together

Old
11-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
That says more about you than it does about JD. Sick *******.
Actually, you are the one with the picture of him as your avatar. Don't boys pull the pigtails of the little girls they secretly like? Mhmmm.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:46 AM
fcbarcelona

Call me crazy or not, but i think this win could be a turning point in the avs season simply b/c of the way they won. i think from now on the players will be more inclined to stick to the plan and play simple. plus, this game did show that aebi can make key saves when necessary. how often he does this is up for debate.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
plus, this game did show that aebi can make key saves when necessary. how often he does this is up for debate.
I have been a little concerned at the way he's been making some of his saves the past few games, specifically the NJ and NY games. He really seems to be literally fighting off the puck, and actually swinging at it in some cases. I don't remember him having this "style" before, and I guess you could say it's okay as long as he stops the puck, but it sure makes for unpredictable rebounds. I've never played goalie, so I don't know if it's a positioning thing, or a reaction thing, but it sure looks awful.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:07 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Actually, you are the one with the picture of him as your avatar. Don't boys pull the pigtails of the little girls they secretly like? Mhmmm.
You might have stumbled onto something if I was one of the normal teenagers here at HF. Problem being I'm not a boy and Thorne is far from a little girl and I wish actual physical harm upon him. Nothing small like pulling his hair; more like stringing him up in the center of a hockey town that he has mindlessly butchered their player's names and positions over the years and watching him hang by his neck until he is dead. Of course, small children would be encouraged to throw rocks at his corpse afterwards because I'm a sharing kind of person.

Old
11-03-2003, 12:27 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
I have been a little concerned at the way he's been making some of his saves the past few games, specifically the NJ and NY games. He really seems to be literally fighting off the puck, and actually swinging at it in some cases. I don't remember him having this "style" before, and I guess you could say it's okay as long as he stops the puck, but it sure makes for unpredictable rebounds. I've never played goalie, so I don't know if it's a positioning thing, or a reaction thing, but it sure looks awful.
one goal i though he shouldn't have let in was the colin white shot when he wasn't set for the shot in the slot and kept his paddle down???? what's up with that?

Old
11-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSkate
Krestanovich is out from his kitchen accident!! His return is unknown.
What did he do?

Old
11-03-2003, 12:51 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
You might have stumbled onto something if I was one of the normal teenagers here at HF. Problem being I'm not a boy and Thorne is far from a little girl and I wish actual physical harm upon him. Nothing small like pulling his hair; more like stringing him up in the center of a hockey town that he has mindlessly butchered their player's names and positions over the years and watching him hang by his neck until he is dead. Of course, small children would be encouraged to throw rocks at his corpse afterwards because I'm a sharing kind of person.

wow, im surprised to find that ur a gentle creature now come on, don't hold anything back about thorne.

Old
11-03-2003, 01:18 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfoppa94
What did he do?
Sliced open his left hand attempting to cut appart two frozen hamberger patties. Sounds lovely doesn't it?

Old
11-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
So you're Somalian? OK, poor taste begets poor taste, sorry.

Anyway, no need to go into such detail, I know you don't like Thorne. I am just saying I'd never heard more stupidity from a pair of announcers in one single game, ever, and I would have much rather have listened to Thorne, who would have at least known who is on the Avs top line, and can probably do rudimentary math. I'm done now.

Closed Thread