HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part 4*

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Looks like the Oshawa/Sudbury game got real nasty:

Quote:
1 - OSH E. Clark, 2:57 - Fighting, 5 min
1 - SBY C. Thibodeau, 2:57 - Fighting, 5 min
1 - SBY M. Campagna, 6:14 - Holding, 2 min (PP)
1 - SBY R. Hanes, 7:43 - Delay of Game, 2 min (PP)
1 - OSH A. Andreoff, 14:39 - Check from Behind, 2 min (PP)
1 - SBY F. Corrado, 16:09 - Holding, 2 min (PP)
2 - OSH D. Maggio, 6:20 - Boarding, 2 min (PP)
2 - OSH S. Laughton, 7:49 - Check from Behind, 2 min (PP)
2 - OSH S. Laughton, 7:49 - Check from Behind, 2 min (PP)
2 - OSH D. Maggio, 17:39 - 10-Min. Misc., 0 min
2 - SBY C. Thibodeau, 17:39 - Inter. on Goaltender, 2 min
2 - OSH P. Hermenegildo, 18:17 - Interference, 2 min
3 - OSH P. Hermenegildo, 2:47 - Fighting, 5 min
3 - OSH C. Suellentrop, 2:47 - Roughing, 2 min
3 - SBY K. Kontos, 2:47 - Roughing, 2 min
3 - SBY S. Schutt, 2:47 - Fighting, 5 min
3 - OSH B. Jenner, 7:34 - Roughing, 2 min
3 - OSH S. Laughton, 7:34 - Fighting, 5 min
3 - SBY M. Campagna, 7:34 - Fighting, 5 min
3 - SBY B. Silk, 7:34 - Roughing, 2 min
3 - OSH A. Andreoff, 13:43 - Fighting, 5 min
3 - SBY R. Hanes, 13:43 - Fighting, 5 min
3 - OSH P. Hermenegildo, 14:25 - Slashing, 2 min (PP)
3 - SBY A. Racino, 17:36 - Slashing, 2 min (PP)

Old
12-09-2011, 09:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

McIlrath with an assist (secondary) through 2 periods.

Old
12-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

D.Maggio has been in the minors FOREVER.

Had the one good offensive season and that has been it from him.

12-09-2011, 10:46 PM
TheRedViper

Fogarty with an assist through 2

Finished with 2 assists**

Last edited by TheRedViper: 12-10-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old
12-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Claxton

Good to see Thomas back on track after the slow start to the season+suspension. He's been on fire lately. 12 points in his last 3.

Old
12-10-2011, 12:53 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Grachev was a guy in Brampton that knew he was bigger and stronger then his competition, and he exploited that. He didn't learn the game as much as he just dominated weaker competition. And that sent him for a loop when he then had to face stronger, wiley competition in professional hockey.
Hmmm...sounds a lot like a certain defenseman in our system. I guess we better hope he has that "it" factor, huh? Especially if "it" factor includes hockey sense.

Old
12-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Hmmm...sounds a lot like a certain defenseman in our system. I guess we better hope he has that "it" factor, huh? Especially if "it" factor includes hockey sense.
It does, but at least McIlrath acknowledges the weaknesses in his game in interviews. We just have to hope that translates to him making the adjustments on the ice.

Old
12-10-2011, 01:48 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

That wasn't my point as much as that's the inherent risk you take every time you draft a player who has never proven that intelligence and preparation, what he'd need to succeed in the NHL at a high level, are what made him successful to that point in his life. That's the risk when you draft players primarily for size or physical attributes, rather than knowledge of the game. The risk is not insignificant.

Old
12-10-2011, 08:26 AM
JimmyStart*

Never mind bad post...well maybe not but I don't care to find out if it is or isn't...so I'll pick something else to discuss.

That St.Croix debate. The stats are great to me because they refl;ect what I saw outta the guy in Traverse City where I thought he just single handedly carried many offensive possessions...that was against other prospects though so yea it's way impossible to say how he goes in the pros...How is he speed, balance and skating wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
It does, but at least McIlrath acknowledges the weaknesses in his game in interviews. We just have to hope that translates to him making the adjustments on the ice.
Also something of note is unlike Grachev who fast tracked himself and went against the organization. McI is the complete oppossite and is mature to the point where not only does he stay to continue to try and improve the coaches have taken note of his coachability and his maturity and ability to be a good teammate has him named a captain all over the place. In that regard his coachability, maturity and work ethic have him favorably comparing to kreider who has been recieving praise for coachability all over the place. Coacability, work ethic and maturity are important because these factors are immeasurable and can help a player achieve his utmost potential.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 12-11-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: OT
Old
12-10-2011, 11:09 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Also something of note is unlike Grachev who fast tracked himself and went against the organization. McI is the complete oppossite and is mature to the point where not only does he stay to continue to try and improve the coaches have taken note of his coachability and his maturity and ability to be a good teammate has him named a captain all over the place. In that regard his coachability, maturity and work ethic have him favorably comparing to kreider who has been recieving praise for coachability all over the place. Coacability, work ethic and maturity are important because these factors are immeasurable and can help a player achieve his utmost potential.
You don't know Grachev, you don't know anything about Grachev, his personal situation, his relationship with his agent. How do you know if he is mature or not? How do you know his attitude in practice, his work ethic? How do you know how coachable he is? How can you possibly assume the negative answer to all of those questions simply because of the fact that "he" asked to be traded? There's never been a single thing reported in the press, or even through unsubstantiated rumors, that hints at any of that.

You don't know his familial situation. You don't know his financial situation. You don't know (and obviously don't understand) the role that his agent, as opposed to Grachev himself, plays in negotiating his career path.

Thank god McIlrath was given a 'C.' Who cares that his positional defense and decision making are still nowhere near where they need to be? Why worry?

Last edited by Fugu: 12-11-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: qep
Old
12-10-2011, 12:18 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
That wasn't my point as much as that's the inherent risk you take every time you draft a player who has never proven that intelligence and preparation, what he'd need to succeed in the NHL at a high level, are what made him successful to that point in his life. That's the risk when you draft players primarily for size or physical attributes, rather than knowledge of the game. The risk is not insignificant.
The thing is, McIlrath looked totally comfortable in the pre-season against actual players. Was never a huge fan of the pick, but he might be one of those players who does well against big guys and not too well against the kids.

Old
12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
The thing is, McIlrath looked totally comfortable in the pre-season against actual players. Was never a huge fan of the pick, but he might be one of those players who does well against big guys and not too well against the kids.
Not in my opinion, but to each their own. I think he looked comfortable at times; at others, he looked like he was completely out of his element. From the MJW games I've seen this season, the same remains true. At times he's looked improved, at others, he's made the same Garnet Exelby-type mistakes he's made in the past. Better than before, certainly, but far from where I think he'll need to be for the NHL. I'm not trying to say he has to be NHL-ready today. But this all comes back to the general point about prospects who have developed dominating with their size. When you draft a player like Sauer or Stepan, for example, they have the mental part of the game more or less down before they even get to the NHL. They have more to learn, for sure, and they have adjustments to be made, but the foundation is very strong. A kid like Grachev, he is at a huge disadvantage, because what do you do know that all of your habitual and instinctual moves and plays on the ice aren't nearly as effective? What do you do when you can no longer simply impose your physical will on your opponents?

Old
12-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

8 Goals, 9 Assists in Thomas' last 8 games, wow someone caught fire!

Old
12-10-2011, 12:53 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

McLIrath looked fine to me when he was playing Defense and concentrating on positioning at Traverse City and in the preseason games.

When he'd try some Bobby Orr moves or take runs at guys before the whistle blew is when he'd get into trouble.

If he plays to his strengths he'll be fine; stay at home DMan who can mash people, and use his shot to score the occasional goal/provide havoc.

Old
12-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Pizza

The Thing about Grachev that I read on some of the beat blogs and from I think Leslie Treff was that Grachev and "his people" rejected the Rangers counsel to return to the OHL for another year.

I think it was speculation on some family concerns, maybe financial that was pushing the decision on the Grachev side. For what ever the reason that was the point that things seemed to deteriorate in Grachev's relationship with the Rangers.

Old
12-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Jumbo*

Canada's WJC camp opened today with Thomas joining 40 other players. Half the players will be cut.

Apparently Thomas is a huge longshot but he is going into camp with a ton of confidence, lets hope for the best.

4 day camp.

Old
12-10-2011, 02:50 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Not in my opinion, but to each their own. I think he looked comfortable at times; at others, he looked like he was completely out of his element. From the MJW games I've seen this season, the same remains true. At times he's looked improved, at others, he's made the same Garnet Exelby-type mistakes he's made in the past. Better than before, certainly, but far from where I think he'll need to be for the NHL. I'm not trying to say he has to be NHL-ready today. But this all comes back to the general point about prospects who have developed dominating with their size. When you draft a player like Sauer or Stepan, for example, they have the mental part of the game more or less down before they even get to the NHL. They have more to learn, for sure, and they have adjustments to be made, but the foundation is very strong. A kid like Grachev, he is at a huge disadvantage, because what do you do know that all of your habitual and instinctual moves and plays on the ice aren't nearly as effective? What do you do when you can no longer simply impose your physical will on your opponents?
Well, that's exactly why I'm against drafting those kinds of players. That's why I would be really pissed off if we had picked, say, Biggs last draft. You have no idea if they're just getting by because of their size or size + skills. I'm optimistic from what I saw, though.

Old
12-10-2011, 03:59 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinFan62 View Post
Canada's WJC camp opened today with Thomas joining 40 other players. Half the players will be cut.

Apparently Thomas is a huge longshot but he is going into camp with a ton of confidence, lets hope for the best.

4 day camp.
In the summer he was considered to have a very good chance. His weak start made it unlikely he would even be invited to camp, but he was and has been on a tear for a few weeks. I'd say the odds are actually in his favor, although some might feel differently.

Old
12-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
In the summer he was considered to have a very good chance. His weak start made it unlikely he would even be invited to camp, but he was and has been on a tear for a few weeks. I'd say the odds are actually in his favor, although some might feel differently.
I hope so. I was looking through the Canada WJC thread on the main board and there was not one person that predicted he will make the team.

Edit - well except for me, I had to show some love for him

Old
12-10-2011, 07:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

JT Miller with a primary assist through 2 periods.

Old
12-10-2011, 08:32 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
JT Miller with a primary assist through 2 periods.
As far as I can tell from the Whaler's twitter, also with a goal tonight

Old
12-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
As far as I can tell from the Whaler's twitter, also with a goal tonight
Yup.

PWhalers Plymouth Whalers
MILLER TIME IN PLYMOUTH. 4-1 WHALERS !!

I believe that means a Miller goal, but I'm not sure

Old
12-10-2011, 08:42 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Yup.

PWhalers Plymouth Whalers
MILLER TIME IN PLYMOUTH. 4-1 WHALERS !!

I believe that means a Miller goal, but I'm not sure
haha well I think thats a good assumption. Cant wait till it's Miller time in NY.

Old
12-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
haha well I think thats a good assumption. Cant wait till it's Miller time in NY.
It's always Miller time at MSG, for $9.50 a pop

Old
12-10-2011, 09:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

39 points in 31 games for Miller... Tonight's goal was his 13th of the season.

Closed Thread