HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Blackhawks X and O's

Old
12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Hawkimus

vCash: 500
Blackhawks X and O's

Hi fellow Hawks fan,

I'm a big hockey fan and know the general terms and philosophies about the game, but don't seem to know enough about the X and O's about the Hawk's overall strategy offensively and defensively. I was curious if anybody had time if they could maybe give me a more detailed explanation of what the Hawks do that makes them stand out from other teams both ways, obviously they have super star talent in their roster, but i was looking more of the terms that get thrown around about the hawks, like 'transition' 'off the rush' 'puck possession' and 'trapping'.

I remember while watching them during their Cup year, a lot of opposition commentators talk about the hawks transition game all the time and depth. I've heard the hawks overall offensive strategy be called 'puck-possession' and i guess only a few teams in the league play that kind of style, if so is it true? and what are the other styles? Again i know i'm asking a lot, especially for being a new poster, but i can't seem to find answers on my own on the internet. If anybody has the time to help me out, i would be very thankful.

Thanks,
GO STACKHAWKS

Hawkimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:01 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
They largely play a transition game offensively. It means that they tend to score off the rush - when the opposing team loses control of the puck, we tend to push the puck up at a quick pace and not allow the opposing defense to get set/beat them with numbers.

Defensively, we play the Chinese Fire Drill. It's an ancient method that involves running all over the damn place and not covering anybody.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:25 PM
stingo

Puck possession is all about keeping control of the puck until you get a scoring chance, and not throwing it away needlessly. This isn't a good year to watch the Hawks if you're hoping for a puck possession game. We're turning the puck over a lot the last while.

Trapping is when the team plays a 1-2-2 style, or with a couple of teams (the most popular being Tampa Bay) it's a 1-3-1. Most teams will play the trap at some point during games - mostly if they're up by a goal and 10 or less minutes left in the third.

That's where when going up the ice, 2 defensemen stay back, 2 stay and clog up the neutral zone, and 1 goes into the offensive end.

The goal with the trap is to cause turnovers (sometimes sitting back and waiting for a turnover) and then capitalizing on those chances off the turnovers.

Another type of way some teams play is the "left-wing lock", which is similar to "the neutral zone trap". This is a style of play where the left winger, once puck possession changes, moves back in line with the defense-men. The Red Wings made this style famous back in the mid 90's, but it was started by Czech teams as a way to beat and stay competitive with dominant Soviet teams.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:09 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

The left wing lock is intended to funnel the puck to one side of the ice, clog up the neutral zone, and hope for a turnover so you can counter-attack.

Old
12-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
They largely play a transition game offensively. It means that they tend to score off the rush - when the opposing team loses control of the puck, we tend to push the puck up at a quick pace and not allow the opposing defense to get set/beat them with numbers.

Defensively, we play the Chinese Fire Drill. It's an ancient method that involves running all over the damn place and not covering anybody.
I would call it more "Chickens with there heads cut off"

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:13 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
The left wing lock is intended to funnel the puck to one side of the ice, clog up the neutral zone, and hope for a turnover so you can counter-attack.
isn't the lwl basically a specific type of 131?

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:23 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Yes, it's a 1-3-1 where the forechecker pressures the defenseman carrying/passing the puck to a particular side of the ice.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Hawkimus

Thanks for all the replys guys. About giving up the puck a lot this year and last year...yeah not really good PuckPoss, but i think they did a good job of that back when they won the cup for obvious reasons. Good stuff!

Old
12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

We play the 1-2-2 all the time... like most teams do. Difference is, we don't 'trap' and are very passive about forechecking in the neutral zone.

The center will put pressure on the other teams defense but will rarely try to force puck. Our wingers are usually at around the red line. Problem with us is that when the puck is moved into the neutral zone, our wingers are found flat-footed and the puck carrier usually just rushes the puck into our zone and our defensemen are either chasing them or get out of position and allow a passing lane to open.

Our wingers don't pick up the center (leaving that 'drop' pass in the high slot) that usually ends up with us allowing a goal. It would be a decent system defensively if we were more adamant about having a player-on-player coverage instead of picking up who's near, which inevitably means that we lose them and pick up someone else. That's why we get out of position and our defensive coverage is always sloppy.

I mean, I'm by no means a coach but this is what I've always noticed and it has always bugged me. I was always taught to cover a certain player unless they have an odd-man break or the other team gets set up in the offensive zone.

Edit: Another thing that bothers me is the 'fly by' attacks where we skate AT the player and try to knock the puck off their stick and then are beaten cleanly. It works great sometimes when that turns into a breakaway or 2-1 or 3-2... but more often than not, it means that now a player is free of coverage and leads to an odd-man break on us. Stalberg and Kane are guilty of this all the time. Please skate with the player, angle them to the outside and attack their stick when they try cutting to the middle... otherwise, keep your stick in the passing lane! UGH!

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Hawkimus

Thanks, The Dude...

Good stuff

I was curious if their are any teams that play actual Puck Possession style? Would the Hawks be considered this? I know the Bowman's are fans of this style. I heard the style is originally from europe? Can anybody go into detail about this offensive style and why it doesn't seem popular in the league.

Also, what is the offense called when you jump and chase and just outmuscle people for pucks?

Old
12-05-2011, 06:55 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkimus View Post
Thanks, The Dude...

Good stuff

I was curious if their are any teams that play actual Puck Possession style? Would the Hawks be considered this? I know the Bowman's are fans of this style. I heard the style is originally from europe? Can anybody go into detail about this offensive style and why it doesn't seem popular in the league.

Also, what is the offense called when you jump and chase and just outmuscle people for pucks?
Dump and chase.

The Red Wings were the best puck possession team in recent years. The WHA Winnipeg Jets with Bobby Hull, Ulf Nilsson and Anders Hedberg were the first team to implement it at a high level if I remember correctly. It's not straight line hockey, and it's easier to possess the puck on bigger european ice. On North American ice, there's less ice to skate/pass into, and physical contact/pressure is more prevalent.

Old
12-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Edit: Another thing that bothers me is the 'fly by' attacks where we skate AT the player and try to knock the puck off their stick and then are beaten cleanly. It works great sometimes when that turns into a breakaway or 2-1 or 3-2... but more often than not, it means that now a player is free of coverage and leads to an odd-man break on us. Stalberg and Kane are guilty of this all the time. Please skate with the player, angle them to the outside and attack their stick when they try cutting to the middle... otherwise, keep your stick in the passing lane! UGH!
I see this ALL game long by almost EVERY player and it drives me nuts too. Whatever happened to get the puck or a piece of the man? We come up with neither way too often

Marotte Marauder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:40 AM
BobbyJet

/\ yup me too. Brouwer gets critized like hell around here, but at least he took the player out on a regular basis... it's fundamental hockey that will burn you one way or the other if not employed.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
zac

Quote:

This sums up our defensive effort perfectly. There's no need for anyone to extrapolate on this any further.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote