HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 26 @ Buffalo Sabres

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 3 2.40%
Marty Biron 85 68.00%
Ryan Callahan 85 68.00%
Michael Del Zotto 22 17.60%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 1.60%
Steve Eminger 9 7.20%
Ruslan Fedotenko 1 0.80%
Marian Gaborik 14 11.20%
Dan Girardi 18 14.40%
Carl Hagelin 120 96.00%
Ryan McDonagh 11 8.80%
John Mitchell 3 2.40%
Brad Richards 1 0.80%
Derek Stepan 1 0.80%
Other 3 2.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-10-2011, 09:46 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Didn't catch the game but was following on my phone through ESPN Gamecenter.

The one thing thought stood out to me, other than Hagelin's awesomeness, was how often "shot missed by Brian Boyle - wide of net" popped up on the play-by-play. If a 4th liner such as Boyle is fortunate to have so much ice time, including PP time, then he better damn well take advantage of it and hit the net more often.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:56 PM
wr50l

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Didn't catch the game but was following on my phone through ESPN Gamecenter.

The one thing thought stood out to me, other than Hagelin's awesomeness, was how often "shot missed by Brian Boyle - wide of net" popped up on the play-by-play. If a 4th liner such as Boyle is fortunate to have so much ice time, including PP time, then he better damn well take advantage of it and hit the net more often.
He has hands of stone. I've noticed more than once this season he has used his body to drive with the puck to net then flipped it over the bar from the bottom of the circle. I think he's trying too hard to beat the goalie and just needs to start slamming it on net. I also don't think I've seen him deflect a puck this year despite getting to the front of the net often enough.

For everything good he has done this season including all the little nuances that easily get forgotten about, so long as he keeps failing to hit the net this will go down as a disappointing season.

wr50l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:57 PM
MorrisWanchuk

It seems the mob mentality is out in force. Even when we're playing well these boards want to whine and moan about something and Boyle is the new target.

Boyle is out there because he's defensively responsible, wins faceoffs, is an excellent PKer and is a good team guy. Torts trusts him to not miss his backchecks, to break up plays and to kill games off. So he's not scoring at the pace he was - ok, but it's not that big of a deal.

Good teams need players like Boyle.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 1092
Just watched the game on DVR.. Nice win boys.

1. McD
2. Hags
3. MDZ

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:02 PM
wr50l

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
It seems the mob mentality is out in force. Even when we're playing well these boards want to whine and moan about something and Boyle is the new target.

Boyle is out there because he's defensively responsible, wins faceoffs, is an excellent PKer and is a good team guy. Torts trusts him to not miss his backchecks, to break up plays and to kill games off. So he's not scoring at the pace he was - ok, but it's not that big of a deal.

That's fine to an extent, use him defensively and be happy when his line gets an offensive opportunity. That said, Hagelin and Mitchell are creating a lot and he is holding that line's potency back. Aside from this, nearly 2 minutes on the powerplay is absolute farce.

wr50l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:02 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

Pretty accurate description. The board always needs something to complain about.

12-10-2011, 10:03 PM
beastly115

It was an ugly win but I'll take it. Hopefully they can build off this. Going to be a tough game tomorrow against the Cats.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:07 PM
trilobyte

Quote:

I'm with you Morris. All the time Boyle is getting is making some Rangers fans really dislike him, though.
Surely, it is good to have a guy like Boyle. I want him on the team, I think he is a Plus. But, seeing him fail in situations like the PP is simply not good.
Does Torts put him out there for some reason we mere mortals are not aware of, is he two steps ahead of all us hockey experts?
I don't think so. I think Boyle should get back to proper ice time and usage, but it isn't his choice, he's not the coach.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Just watched some highlights. How in the name of Jesus did Callahan score that mystery goal?

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Muh
Beadle

Hagelin
Biron
Callahan

And while we are talking about Boyle...Boyle is obviously not producing much offensively, so why not switch him and Dubinsky? I feel if we really want to succeed this year we need Duby to produce at some point, and it is a struggle for him to do it playing with Prust and Avery. Give Duby a few games with Hagelin and Mitchell, and Boyle with Avery and Prust and see how this team does.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
Just watched some highlights. How in the name of Jesus did Callahan score that mystery goal?
Was a very good play by Cally. But I think the better question is how in the name of Cally did Enroth let the shot go in.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:13 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Good- Carl Hagelin. All I have to say is Holy ****. This kid is awesome.
Bad- Gaboriks back check on the Buffalo goal.
Redden- Buffalos Play by play Rick Jeanerette or whatever. He ****ing sucks.
My thought's completely except that I'm so glad i didn't have to listen to Buffalo's Feed. Listen to the commentary by Toronto's two idiots on Phanoufs hit on Sauer. it's on you tube.
My Redden was Francoir St Laurant.

[IMG][/IMG]

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:18 PM
anofsti

Voted Biron, Hagelin and Eminger.

Biron looked so damn relaxed in goal, just hanging out and occasionally kicking the puck into the corner like it ain't no thing.

anofsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:22 PM
azrok22

Quote:

I have no problem with Boyle getting even strength ice time, and he's more than earned the PK time he gets. It's the PP where he has no business being out there. Richards, Gaborik, Callahan, Stepan, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Mitchell, and Hagelin have all thoroughly outplayed Boyle in the offensive zone, and should be getting his PP ice time. An argument could be made that Fedotenko and Avery are better PP options than Boyle too.

Of course, winning should silence criticism to an extent, or at least lessen the volume, but Boyle on the PP remains an issue worthy of skepticism, imo.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:27 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I'm with you Morris. All the time Boyle is getting is making some Rangers fans really dislike him, though.
Surely, it is good to have a guy like Boyle. I want him on the team, I think he is a Plus. But, seeing him fail in situations like the PP is simply not good.
Does Torts put him out there for some reason we mere mortals are not aware of, is he two steps ahead of all us hockey experts?
I don't think so. I think Boyle should get back to proper ice time and usage, but it isn't his choice, he's not the coach.
the PP is a mystery to me. Today we had Mitchell on it ????

I'm still not convinced about MDZ and Stepan as the points.

I really don't know where we going with the PP. Boyle probably isn't the biggest issue with it.

Though, it is getting better.... so maybe Torts knows something we don't.

Old
12-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

And a big congrats to Steve Eminger for getting his first assists of the season tonight.

It's been a long time coming.

Hagelin has been here 8 games and is already miles better than Avery. Biggest weakness with our team right now is that we have only 1 powerplay unit.

12-10-2011, 10:36 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Eminger was fantastic the last two games.

Honestly, I have no problem with him on the bottom pairing.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:38 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Eminger was fantastic the last two games.

Honestly, I have no problem with him on the bottom pairing.
me neither. but i'd like Sauer back for the 2nd pairing. Eminger is doing fine for now though.

Old
12-10-2011, 10:38 PM
trilobyte

It's hard to understand why the powerplay cannot be better. I guess it was back in the days of Jagr-Straka-Sykora that it was going to work more often than not, always dangerous.

It would be amazing if the Rangers could improve it. Here's to hoping.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:40 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
By the way,

21-year-old Mike Del Zotto AKA The Worst Player in the NHL now has eclipsed his point totals from last season in 21 less games, and is a +11.

On pace for 40 points and around a +35
Where is the like button for this post?

Kid is playing well, and very quietly.

Nice

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Exactly! I was watching the game and thinking about Boyle and his role on the team... What separates Boyle and some other bottom 6 forwards in the league that may struggle at times, is that Boyle is excellent on the PK, responsible defensively, and a very good teammate... Very vocal both on and off the ice... Understands what the coaches expect from him and how they want the team to play... Very coachable/likeable guy... He plays a role... Not having the best season offensively but he definitely deserves to be in the line-up.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Ail
k.

POTG: Hagelin, Eminger, Biron

The Good: Not losing momentum after the Vanek goal. Winning the game. DelZotto.

The bad: Boyle.

Redden: Not getting Biron a shutout.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Get very nervous that McDonagh broke his hand on that blocked shot... He was not gripping the stick with it after he lost his glove on the play... Rangers cannot afford to be down 3 of their top 4 defensemen!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:53 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
And a big congrats to Steve Eminger for getting his first assists of the season tonight.

It's been a long time coming.

Hagelin has been here 8 games and is already miles better than Avery. Biggest weakness with our team right now is that we have only 1 powerplay unit.
This is exactly why I want Wolski to be able to come back and play good offensively.

Also, I know he is 8 games into his NHL career, but Hagelin could be useful on the PP as well, on the 2nd unit.

Gaborik-Richards-Callahan
Stepan-DZ

Wolski/Hagelin-Dubinsky-Anisimov
McDonagh-Girardi

The second unit has size to work the front of the net and enough skill to move the puck around and set up plays. I'd argue it's time to bring up Zuccarello, but with the team playing well as is, he wouldn't get many minutes

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJay NYR View Post
1. Hagelin
2. Biron
3. Cally

Great game! Hagelin could really become something special.
Definitely agree! Kid has skill, poise and moxey.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote