HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 26 @ Buffalo Sabres

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 3 2.40%
Marty Biron 85 68.00%
Ryan Callahan 85 68.00%
Michael Del Zotto 22 17.60%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 1.60%
Steve Eminger 9 7.20%
Ruslan Fedotenko 1 0.80%
Marian Gaborik 14 11.20%
Dan Girardi 18 14.40%
Carl Hagelin 120 96.00%
Ryan McDonagh 11 8.80%
John Mitchell 3 2.40%
Brad Richards 1 0.80%
Derek Stepan 1 0.80%
Other 3 2.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-10-2011, 10:55 PM
trilobyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Why does Torts do that to Avery. Bellow 4 minutes TOI.Thats mean. Torts is bullying him.
I agree. It is not a case of myself being blindly pro-Avery for the sake of it. He is worth way more than 4 minutes.
Torts is grinding an axe still. Nobody can point at Avery's play and show me a reason why. What is the point of dressing a player if they get time like that, unless it is a personal axe to grind.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I was certain that we were going to lose someone to a long term injury in this one, and while it would have rather been Anisimov than McDonagh, either one would have been awful.

We're in a situation where guys are close (Wolski, Rupp) but they are all left wingers, which means in all likelihood Avery is gone. Then perhaps Mitchell is gone as well, who knows maybe Torts likes him. Try Wolski with Richards and Callahan and see what happens. Reunite Feds Boyle Prust as a 4th line and have Dubinsky center Hagelin and Mitchell.

12-10-2011, 11:00 PM
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm
so hot right now

vCash: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Biggest weakness with our team right now is that we have only 1 powerplay unit.
The lines are still out of balance. Sure they won 4-1, but with 2 SHG and 1 PPG. Overall they were and have been ineffective at even strength over the past few games. Torts needs to employ Feds - Boyle - Prust as the 4th line again. It seems that's the only line where all of those 3 players are effective on a nightly basis. Feds will have a great game skating with Richards/Cally, but then disappear for a stretch. Boyle hasn't been playing well at all and Prust has been MIA as well besides a few fights.

After the kind of game he had tonight, time to reward Hagelin with a promotion:

Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik
Hagelin - Richards - Callahan
Avery - Dubinsky - Mitchell
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

IfYouCantEtemJoinEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:01 PM
broadwayblue

Hagelin
Callahan
Biron

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
the PP is a mystery to me. Today we had Mitchell on it ????

I'm still not convinced about MDZ and Stepan as the points.

I really don't know where we going with the PP. Boyle probably isn't the biggest issue with it.

Though, it is getting better.... so maybe Torts knows something we don't.
Agree. MDZ either doesn't shoot enough or doesn't hit the net when he does shoot and Stepan doesn't have much of a shot and as a playmaker, would do better on the half wall. Richards and Mcdonagh would be better on the points.

Last edited by Drewbackatu*: 12-10-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Biron was a really big gamer for us tonight. You have to know he wants to play well at Buffalo.

Maybe this team can bounce back from another 2 game skid and put together another long streak of wins here.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
The lines are still out of balance. Sure they won 4-1, but with 2 SHG and 1 PPG. Overall they were and have been ineffective at even strength over the past few games. Torts needs to employ Feds - Boyle - Prust as the 4th line again. It seems that's the only line where all of those 3 players are effective on a nightly basis. Feds will have a great game skating with Richards/Cally, but then disappear for a stretch. Boyle hasn't been playing well at all and Prust has been MIA as well besides a few fights.

Agree with one change; time to put Dubi back on the 2nd line and perhaps move Hags to the 3rd line. Don't want to put too much on Hags plate too soon.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Pizza

It's clearer than the water at my local break.

Torts totally trusts Boyle....and that can't be because he sucks.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:12 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:

I don't think we need to rush Hagelin up the lines just yet. He's only a handful of games in. He's ok where he is on the 3rd. If he's flying (like tonight) he can be moved up.

I expect him to play the second PK unit from now on. This will be good for Arti and Step, who'll get less time on the PK and more energy for their 1st line duties.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:14 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
It's clearer than the water at my local break.

Torts totally trusts Boyle....and that can't be because he sucks.
Yup, he's Torts' guy.

Though, remember the first few games of the year when BB was taking 2-3 penalties a game. Torts was seen saying "Is that *********g Brian Boyle?".

he's regained the coach's trust

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:23 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Missed this one, glad we came out with the W.

Good to get off that small losing streak. Sounds weird to say, but we got a tough game tomorrow night against Florida.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
It seems the mob mentality is out in force. Even when we're playing well these boards want to whine and moan about something and Boyle is the new target.

Boyle is out there because he's defensively responsible, wins faceoffs, is an excellent PKer and is a good team guy. Torts trusts him to not miss his backchecks, to break up plays and to kill games off. So he's not scoring at the pace he was - ok, but it's not that big of a deal.

Good teams need players like Boyle.
I pretty much agree--Boyle has been playing well--defensively he's been very solid and he's getting more confident about shooting the puck again. Hopefully, he'll score a couple of goals and really relax. He's not going to score 20 this year, but I think he'll ultimately break out on offense.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:10 AM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I said Biron, Hagelin, and Gabby.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:31 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I said Biron, Hagelin, and Gabby.
Still not sure how people are giving Gabby the nod over Cally. The game was over when Gaborik scored, although he did have a solid 3rd period. But without Cally's goal (which turned out to be the game winner) we could very well have been heading into the 3rd period down a goal as opposed to up 2-1. Gaborik did have one heck of a snipe though.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:38 AM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Still not sure how people are giving Gabby the nod over Cally. The game was over when Gaborik scored, although he did have a solid 3rd period. But without Cally's goal (which turned out to be the game winner) we could very well have been heading into the 3rd period down a goal as opposed to up 2-1. Gaborik did have one heck of a snipe though.
He wears a 'C' on his chest. He's expected to have a hand in games that we win... not to mention that Cally's goal was soft as microwaved butter.

PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

#1 star for the Rangers HAS to be Enroth. He. Was. AWFUL.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:03 AM
JT Kreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
#1 star for the Rangers HAS to be Enroth. He. Was. AWFUL.
Pretty much this.

Ill show some love to MDZ he's been rather smart with the puck and continues to play smart position-wise in the d-zone. Brilliant feed on hagelins goal.

Eminger was pretty stellar, not spectacular but with staal and now sauers concussions he's getting a chance to prove himself to torts so ill commend him for taking advantage of the opportunity to earn a full-time roster spot.

Well see how they come out tomorrow vs a good florida team. 5 out of a potential 6 points would be... Excellent

JT Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:36 AM
darko

Dubi's been playing better lately and he even reappeared today on the line with Richards and Callahan. Hope he keeps it going. Getting last year's Dubinsky would make us that much better.

Shame Pitt and Philly refuse to lose. Sucks that 2/3 of best teams in East are in our division.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Dorado*

Boyle def has Torts trust . He is an offensive disaster and his supposed improved skating appears to have gone back to it's pre " Barb " ( barf ) days . Maybe going forward he's a Strudwick 2.0 extra F/ 7 D man .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:12 AM
IfYouCantEtemJoinEm
so hot right now

vCash: 983
I like looking at these post game threads because I think they are the best indication of who played well during the games. No stat-watchers or fan boys here. The three stars so far this season have easily been Gaborik, Hank, and Cally, and it is confirmed here.

Having said that, I can't believe Boyle doesn't have ANY stars. I'm starting to believe more and more that last year was simply an aberration. The guy has stone hands and doesn't skate all that well.

Perhaps his only way back to form is if Zenith changes his name back to what it should be to reverse the bad voodoo

IfYouCantEtemJoinEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:30 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Hagelin
Biron
Callahan

And while we are talking about Boyle...Boyle is obviously not producing much offensively, so why not switch him and Dubinsky? I feel if we really want to succeed this year we need Duby to produce at some point, and it is a struggle for him to do it playing with Prust and Avery. Give Duby a few games with Hagelin and Mitchell, and Boyle with Avery and Prust and see how this team does.
Makes sense to me.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:39 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
I like looking at these post game threads because I think they are the best indication of who played well during the games. No stat-watchers or fan boys here. The three stars so far this season have easily been Gaborik, Hank, and Cally, and it is confirmed here.

Having said that, I can't believe Boyle doesn't have ANY stars. I'm starting to believe more and more that last year was simply an aberration. The guy has stone hands and doesn't skate all that well.

Perhaps his only way back to form is if Zenith changes his name back to what it should be to reverse the bad voodoo
He's a good bottom 6 player who does what he has to do, much like Feds.

But it's ridiculous that he's getting PP time.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:44 AM
silverfish
Player Usage

Torts treatment of Avery is a disaster. His play warrants more than 4 minutes of ice time...but he's a goner when the Rangers are healthy, due to no fault of his own. Torts knows it, and I'm sure Avery knows it too.

Even in games where Torts says Avery was effective he's logging less than 10 minutes of ice.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:46 AM
NYRSchrute217

The goals the Rangers scored were a little concerning. Callahan made a great play but an NHL goalie realistically should never give up a goal like that. Hagelin's first goal was pretty weak and the second could've been stopped as well. Gaborik's goal was an absolutely ridiculous shot, but overall Enroth was incredibly shaky all night.

Good to get out of Buffalo with a win though. Biron's been very impressive this year.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Ranger109

I don't know why Avery is only getting the minutes he has. I think it's a bunch of ******** considering that Avery has netted 4 goals already and has been making an impact.

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote