HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part 4*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2011, 09:57 PM
  #201
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
It's always Miller time at MSG, for $9.50 a pop
If JT Miller becomes a star player, we had better start seeing some discounted beverages.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 10:05 PM
  #202
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
St. Croix with a goal and an assist tonight.

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 10:17 PM
  #203
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15
 
EuroFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: west coast
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 50
I really want to see Thomas in the WJC, have just seen a few videos of him..

EuroFlair is online now  
Old
12-10-2011, 10:38 PM
  #204
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
St. Croix with a goal and an assist tonight.
Sick. Just stupid, crazy, sick. Does this kid have any idea what an off night looks like.

Pizza is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 10:42 PM
  #205
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Sick. Just stupid, crazy, sick. Does this kid have any idea what an off night looks like.
He actually finished with a goal and two assists. Let's hope his game translates to the higher levels.

Zil is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 10:51 PM
  #206
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Oops, goal and 2 primary assists... I guess the game had not ended yet when I checked the box score when it was 4-1...

Where is that poster who watches/follows the Oil Kings?

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 11:04 PM
  #207
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Oops, goal and 2 primary assists... I guess the game had not ended yet when I checked the box score when it was 4-1...

Where is that poster who watches/follows the Oil Kings?
Yeah, Oilburnsclean I think is the handle. Guy's had some really good analysis on St. Croix.

I hope his game translates as well. I'd be thoroughly shocked if it did not, but I know nothing.

Pizza is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 11:06 PM
  #208
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Oops, goal and 2 primary assists... I guess the game had not ended yet when I checked the box score when it was 4-1...

Where is that poster who watches/follows the Oil Kings?
Watching the Oil stink it up against Calgary My son was at game will find out from him how MSC looked tonight.

Oilmageddon* is offline  
Old
12-10-2011, 11:33 PM
  #209
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Yeah, Oilburnsclean I think is the handle. Guy's had some really good analysis on St. Croix.

I hope his game translates as well. I'd be thoroughly shocked if it did not, but I know nothing.
The knocks on St. Croix pre-draft were that he isn't very fast, is a major perimeter player, and refuses to go in the corners or do the dirty work. Aka PP specialist or AHL star.

Thankfully he seems to have improved on these areas.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now  
Old
12-10-2011, 11:45 PM
  #210
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Sick. Just stupid, crazy, sick. Does this kid have any idea what an off night looks like.
Well, he did go 0-0-0 and -1 on Tuesday.

Seriously - I believe that makes 23 points in his last 9 games. He's now up to #8 in overall scoring in the WHL.

By the way, speaking of sick scoring in the WHL, in looking at the leaderboard I noticed that Bartschi has 59 points - in only 24 games. Meanwhile, Rattie also has 59, but leads the league with 32 goals - in 32 games. (Not surprisingly, the two play together on the Winterhawks.) I thought the WHL was the defensive league in the CHL! In any event, I'm very psyched that our 4th round pick is starting to approach their stratosphere.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 12:07 AM
  #211
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
I can't really give a good analysis of the game as I was not there , I report from a text only. MSC line was supposedly buzzing all night and they could of racked up alot more points. To put things into Context no other 18 year old centerpeice on offense has their team first in their conference which is kudos to MSC . And @ Colonialshockey10 He did play on the Perimeter his first year but last season and this one he has changed up his game he goes into the hard areas ,scores alot in tight. I was really pissed Oilers did not draft him considering they own the fn team And his 3point+ games which I think are 7 to date shows he controls games on offence.

Oilmageddon* is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 12:31 AM
  #212
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
The knocks on St. Croix pre-draft were that he isn't very fast, is a major perimeter player, and refuses to go in the corners or do the dirty work. Aka PP specialist or AHL star.

Thankfully he seems to have improved on these areas.

That was the exact knock on Marc Savard, plus he was absolutely horrible defensively and smaller than St. Croix. On the other hand, his Oshawa coach once remarked that Savard can "score at will" in juniors.

Being a perimeter player, refusing to go into corners, poor defense and even skating to some degree, it can all be improved with effort. Offensive creativity, however, isn't a teachable skill. That's why I'm excited to see the Rangers go after guys like Thomas, Fasth and St. Croix. Will most of them turn into busts? Sure. But having just one of them succeed would be huge for the franchise.

Beacon is online now  
Old
12-11-2011, 12:37 AM
  #213
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
That was the exact knock on Marc Savard, plus he was absolutely horrible defensively and smaller than St. Croix. On the other hand, his Oshawa coach once remarked that Savard can "score at will" in juniors.

Being a perimeter player, refusing to go into corners, poor defense and even skating to some degree, it can all be improved with effort. Offensive creativity, however, isn't a teachable skill. That's why I'm excited to see the Rangers go after guys like Thomas, Fasth and St. Croix. Will most of them turn into busts? Sure. But having just one of them succeed would be huge for the franchise.
You know what you nailed it for a player comparison although MSC has a better shot than Savard had.

Oilmageddon* is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 12:47 AM
  #214
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
You know what you nailed it for a player comparison although MSC has a better shot than Savard had.

So would you say that MSC has the potential to be as good as Savard, if he reaches his ceiling?


Last edited by Beacon: 12-11-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Beacon is online now  
Old
12-11-2011, 12:56 AM
  #215
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
So would you say that MSC has the potential to be as good as Savard, if he reaches his potential?
I say his ceiling is a ppg player .More realistic 60-70 point peak player in the NHL but could exceed those numbers he reads the play so well . I have said and will stand by my words he makes the NHL but I can see a problem for next Season too young for the Ahl too good for junior can't crack a very strong Ranger team.

Oilmageddon* is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 12:59 AM
  #216
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
I say his ceiling is a ppg player .More realistic 60-70 point peak player in the NHL but could exceed those numbers he reads the play so well . I have said and will stand by my words he makes the NHL but I can see a problem for next Season too young for the Ahl to good for junior can't crack a very strong Ranger team.
I really hate that rule, but do you think St. Croix would actually be physically ready to handle the AHL next year anyway?

Zil is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 01:04 AM
  #217
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I really hate that rule, but do you think St. Croix would actually be physically ready to handle the AHL next year anyway?
For sure he is no wimp he is at 190 lbs already. And he has a brother who is 6'3 or6'4 I dont think he is done growing. And he does not let players punish him he pushes back.But I will add about his offence again he led the manitoba midget aaa league in scoring with 103 pts in 41 games played in the world under 17 at 15 years of age he has produced at every level so far and the way he gets off those nice passes with no room is very Savard like. Cheers for now and Kudos to the Rangers looks like you have a great team assembled this year.


Last edited by Oilmageddon*: 12-11-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Oilmageddon* is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 01:23 AM
  #218
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
For sure he is no wimp he is at 190 lbs already. And he has a brother who is 6'3 or6'4 I dont think he is done growing. And he does not let players punish him he pushes back.But I will add about his offence again he led the manitoba midget aaa league in scoring with 103 pts in 41 games played in the world under 17 at 15 years of age he has produced at every level so far and the way he gets off those nice passes with no room is very Savard like. Cheers for now and Kudos to the Rangers looks like you have a great team assembled this year.
I'm not questioning his attitude. It's great that he pushes back. I'm just wondering if he looks physically strong enough to handle playing against grown men next year. I don't know that making him play another year of juniors while he grows is going to be the worst thing for him. Better for him to be a little overprepared for the AHL than underprepared.

Zil is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 01:28 AM
  #219
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
I think I will trust his word on MSC.

NOBC has watched hockey for over 40 years and he knows what talent is.

He found out about Nugent-Hopkins as the best 2011 draftee before all the media hype was on Couturier and Larsson. Check his post history.

He knows hockey and he knows more about MSC more so than any of us. He does get to watch him, probably as much as our scouts do.

We really appreciate the updates NewOils, please come again!

Kershaw is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 01:54 AM
  #220
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I think I will trust his word on MSC.

NOBC has watched hockey for over 40 years and he knows what talent is.

He found out about Nugent-Hopkins as the best 2011 draftee before all the media hype was on Couturier and Larsson. Check his post history.

He knows hockey and he knows more about MSC more so than any of us. He does get to watch him, probably as much as our scouts do.

We really appreciate the updates NewOils, please come again!
It's kind of a moot point either way. He can't play in the AHL next year, and he's certainly not going to make the Rangers.

Zil is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 02:21 AM
  #221
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
It's kind of a moot point either way. He can't play in the AHL next year, and he's certainly not going to make the Rangers.

If he puts up the numbers that Thomas put up last year, people will wonder and hope he'll make the Rangers, though it will again be misguided. If a 24 year old barely makes it, he deserves to be in the NHL, but for a 19 year old, he needs to blow everyone away to make it.

That's because a 24 year old can be placed on the fourth line, but not a 19 year old. And a 24 year old is more proven, at least at the minor pro level, whereas the 19 year old may just be hot in camp.

For St. Croix, Thomas, Fasth, Miller, etc. to make it next year, I want them to just blow us away.


Last edited by Beacon: 12-11-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Beacon is online now  
Old
12-11-2011, 02:35 AM
  #222
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
If he puts up the numbers that Thomas put up last year, people will wonder and hope he'll make the Rangers, though it will against be misguided. If a 24 year old barely makes it, he deserves to be in the NHL, but for a 19 year old, he needs to blow everyone away to make it.

That's because a 24 year old can be placed on the fourth line, but not a 19 year old. And a 24 year old is more proven, at least at the minor pro level, whereas the 19 year old may just be hot in camp.

For St. Croix, Thomas, Fasth, Miller, etc. to make it next year, I want them to just blow us away.
Yeah, I agree with that. Although Miller's a different case because he does have the AHL option and he is more of an all around player than just a guy you look to for points. Given how impressive he looked in camp this year for an 18-year-old, I could see him making the jump to the AHL if he has a strong enough camp. Thomas should also make the jump to the AHL, given his age. Fasth will probably spend another year in Sweden, especially with the injury. It depends how the Rangers feel about burning a year of his ELC though, since they have to sign him in the offseason, or lose his rights.

Zil is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 02:54 AM
  #223
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
For sure he is no wimp he is at 190 lbs already. And he has a brother who is 6'3 or6'4 I dont think he is done growing. And he does not let players punish him he pushes back.But I will add about his offence again he led the manitoba midget aaa league in scoring with 103 pts in 41 games played in the world under 17 at 15 years of age he has produced at every level so far and the way he gets off those nice passes with no room is very Savard like. Cheers for now and Kudos to the Rangers looks like you have a great team assembled this year.

Hope so. He's what 5'10/5'11 now? If he can add an inch or so that'd be good.


Oh and thanks for all your updates. Much appreciated.

darko is online now  
Old
12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
  #224
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,385
vCash: 500
Miller's goal last night was pretty nice. Highlights are up at the Whalers' site, it is at 3:15.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 10:52 AM
  #225
Jacques Strap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
That was the exact knock on Marc Savard, plus he was absolutely horrible defensively and smaller than St. Croix. On the other hand, his Oshawa coach once remarked that Savard can "score at will" in juniors.

Being a perimeter player, refusing to go into corners, poor defense and even skating to some degree, it can all be improved with effort. Offensive creativity, however, isn't a teachable skill. That's why I'm excited to see the Rangers go after guys like Thomas, Fasth and St. Croix. Will most of them turn into busts? Sure. But having just one of them succeed would be huge for the franchise.

I love the Marc Savard comparison. How about a David Krejci comparison? After all, Jeff Gorton did draft Krejci. I am really high on MSC. He might be the steal of the 2011draft?

Jacques Strap is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.