HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Final Fantasy Thread.

Old
12-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Unholy

vCash: 500
Cecil and Kain would be IV though right? *headache from thinking about it*

Either way I agree. Had to get the DS release as well. Still need to play After Years too >.<

12-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Rizer
Registered dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengui View Post
Oh... Well, you said "the american releases of II and III", so I thought you were talking about the actual FFII and FFIII being released in america...
And it's FFIV they named FF2, not FFV
I can never remember

But yeah, the American II and III. Those are by far my favourites. Kefka was the best villain ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy View Post

Either way I agree. Had to get the DS release as well. Still need to play After Years too >.<
Yeah, it makes my head hurt thinking about the Japanese to American conversion for the game titles. I have them both for DS as well, and still play them from time to time for nostalgia purposes.

Rizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:11 AM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Quote:

You just reminded about that existing, and that my PSP is messed up and I'm unable to play it.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeyMonster View Post
You just reminded about that existing, and that my PSP is messed up and I'm unable to play it.
Haha sorry about that. If you have a Wii you can download it. Not sure which I'll play it for yet.

A little love for Tactics A2 while we are talking about handhelds. Spend a lot of hours playing that at work. A3 would be nice, not sure if I can find A2 to play it again.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
always have been interested in the final fantasy series but never actually played it , should I start to play? which one should I play first?

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:32 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

VIII will always be my favorite. Ive enjoyed every one that I've played though, including XII and XIII.

Never played XI or X-2.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:55 AM
Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
always have been interested in the final fantasy series but never actually played it , should I start to play? which one should I play first?
I would say X. One of nicer recent ones. A good mix of old and new of what FF has to offer. First to include voice acting which was used well IMO. If you don't care much for graphics try either VII or IX.

All opinion though someone could easily just say try VIII or XIII since it was the most recent.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:28 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, I think FFX has the best turn based gameplay I can think of in any game. It just works so damn well. The switching out, the switching the armors, weapons and so on is damn awesome. Also, showing who takes the next turn is always helpful.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
VIII will always be my favorite. Ive enjoyed every one that I've played though, including XII and XIII.

Never played XI or X-2.
The only one I've never played is XI, never was interested in MMORPG's.

I guess I'm in the minority when I think X-2 is still a really good game, sure not a great game by FF standards, but a good game none the less.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:56 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, I think FFX has the best turn based gameplay I can think of in any game. It just works so damn well. The switching out, the switching the armors, weapons and so on is damn awesome. Also, showing who takes the next turn is always helpful.
It devolved into just spamming Quick Hit eventually for me though.

Ar Tonelico 2 was probably the funnest turn based combat to me, although no one played that. Persona 4 as well, but that came 8 years after FFX.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Bengui

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizer View Post
Yeah, it makes my head hurt thinking about the Japanese to American conversion for the game titles.
Just play FFV, and I guarantee the confusion will go away

Bengui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:57 PM
TheIceShotMe
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
I agree with the people saying X. FF X was the best Final Fantasy by far.
Great battle system, deep story and an awesome minigame called Blitzball.

TheIceShotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Definitely play FFX first. Best of the series.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:06 PM
TheIceShotMe
Rookie User

But, don't play X-2. Never...

Old
12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
I always see lots of hate for X2, and I guess that's because it just didn't live up to the standards of hardcore final fantasy fans, but if you look at that game on its own merits, it's not bad at all. It has like an 86% average score on gamerankings. That's actually very good.

BreakTheWallsDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:22 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakTheWallsDown View Post
I'm actually in the middle of going back and playing the final fantasy games that I never played before. Working on 8, 9, and 12. Playing 12 right now. It's not too bad. The combat system that is supposed to be more free actually feels more restrictive though.
console ***, knew i'd find you here

muahaha

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:30 PM
ColonialsHockey10

While I thought FFXIII was a large step down from previous titles, some of the presentation was incredible.

The combination of music and the area really makes this one of the best places I've ever been in a video game (it's no Besaid thoough )

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:48 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I don't know if I would quite call it the best turn placed gameplay, but what FFX did best was provide a system where you make use of all your characters... with the exception for Kimari once you recruit Auron. Many RPG's give you a good cast of characters but there's always a handful you never use, I always found this to be a minor immersion breaker.

But yeah if you're going to jump into your very first Final Fantasy X is definitely the best choice, though IX might not be too bad either. VIII, XII and XIII are a little 'different', while anything starting with VII and earlier may seem a bit dated. Or if you've ever played and enjoyed old school SNES/Genesis RPG's then you'd be a safe bet to play through IV V and VI.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:13 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
I'll give them major credit for not remaking FF7 yet.

Seems like the easiest cash cow in the world, during a time when everything is being remade or rebooted.
I'll always challenge this notion. To the lay person it seems like it would be the easiest thing to do, but they're overlooking just how immense the world of VII was. They could do this at the time because the low res polygons were cheap to do, but converting that to modern high res 3D would be an immense job. There's a reason they don't make the games that big anymore.

I also get the impression that it's a very loud... maybe not quite minority, but close, that's asking for it. Take the existing FF fanbase around the world, divide that by around half, and from there you have the group that's constantly demanding this get remade. It's not an insignificant number by any means, like the isometric Fallout fanbase, but it's also not nearly as big as the fans think it is. Don't forget that Square has released numerous FFVII spinoff projects, more so than any other FF. Look how well Crisis Core sold and how many people watched the movie, that should give you a decent indication of how well a remake would sell.

Now on the other hand if you want to talk about Squaresoft being 'smart', they should be courting Nintendo or Sony, or they should be courting Squaresoft, for an exclusive new batch of handheld Final Fantasy remakes. We got III and IV on the DS, and now that we have a new generation of handhelds it's time for a new Gamecube/PS2 quality engine to remake VI and VII on (not sure what to do with V). The scaled back technology eases the burden I was talking about above, and while a handheld FFVII remake wouldn't sell as much as a console one it will sell a significant number of handhelds.

I don't know exactly how these deals work but this is something Sony or Nintendo should be paying or providing some sort of incentive for Square to do.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:38 PM
TheIceShotMe
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I don't know if I would quite call it the best turn placed gameplay, but what FFX did best was provide a system where you make use of all your characters... with the exception for Kimari once you recruit Auron. Many RPG's give you a good cast of characters but there's always a handful you never use, I always found this to be a minor immersion breaker.

But yeah if you're going to jump into your very first Final Fantasy X is definitely the best choice, though IX might not be too bad either. VIII, XII and XIII are a little 'different', while anything starting with VII and earlier may seem a bit dated. Or if you've ever played and enjoyed old school SNES/Genesis RPG's then you'd be a safe bet to play through IV V and VI.

I agree.

Old
12-11-2011, 05:27 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post

Its why games like FF6 were so effective. It forced you to use different characters at different points in the story.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
There is no finer game ever made than FF7

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:49 PM
straka91*

FF13 sucked for the 1st 9 chapters (25 hours) of the game. I mean really sucked, for an "RPG" that was probably the most boring, linear start to a game I have ever incountered. I started to enjoy the game a lot after chapter 11 though. I hope the sequal improves on that.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:57 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
FF13 sucked for the 1st 9 chapters (25 hours) of the game. I mean really sucked, for an "RPG" that was probably the most boring, linear start to a game I have ever incountered. I started to enjoy the game a lot after chapter 11 though. I hope the sequal improves on that.
Absolutely.

Gran Pulse was awesome, but it was far too small of a portion of the game to deem FFXIII awesome IMO.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:04 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Is the good part of FF13 actually good enough to be worth slogging through the early, boring part? I played it for a couple of hours but just couldn't get into it even though I liked the combat system a lot but if the later part of the game is really a big improvement than I might just force myself to go back and play through it again.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote