HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What if (MOD: the NHL used the proposed larger nets after the lockout)

Old
12-11-2011, 01:09 AM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750
What if (MOD: the NHL used the proposed larger nets after the lockout)

What if the NHL had decided after the lockout to use these nets (which were proposed, but did not receive the votes)

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 12-11-2011 at 12:48 PM.
saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
What if the NHL had decided after the lockout to use these nets (which were proposed, but did not receive the votes)
Then we would have to make up a new name for a new shape. It isn't a square, it isn't a circle, it isn't an oval, it isn't even an octagon. It's.............who knows? Thank God that never happened. The NHL does some stupid things but if they really want to increase scoring they just should mandate the size of the pads more, not the nets. That's foolish

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Jules Winnfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
WTF is that supposed to be?

Why not just force teams to use midgets as goaltenders instead?

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Syckle78

vCash: 712
I don't like changing the size of the nets because it messes with records and discussions of have players compare across generations. However, if players keep getting bigger and bigger they may have no choice.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:54 AM
RabbinsDuck

I'm really not against it happening. As long as sticks are uncontrolled goalies are going to need bigger pads.

Personally I would love to see the ice surface expanded and a wood stick rule.

As it is, players and equipment will continue to get larger, and the space for creativity will continue to diminish. I'd rather see nets like that than a majority of garbage goal games.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
I'm really not against it happening. As long as sticks are uncontrolled goalies are going to need bigger pads.

As it is, players and equipment will continue to get larger, and the space for creativity will continue to diminish. I'd rather see nets like that than a majority of garbage goal games.
Exactly how bigger do you think the players can and will get? I can't see them growing much more. Especially when you see stars like Crosby, St. Louis, etc. well under 6'0" doing well and perhaps influencing smaller kids.

There was a brief time in NHL history when size was the be all and end all. This was the 1990s and early 2000s. A defenseman didn't even get a second look if he wasn't 6'0". A forward that was 6'4" and hands of stone would take precedence over a player like St. Louis all the time. Other than the clutch and grab era of 1995-'04, the NHL hasn't been obsessed about speed. Yes, if you are a 6'4" forward that can skate like the wind it trumps one who is 5'9", but in almost any other era of NHL history the best players in the world didn't have to be giants.

Lindsay was 5'8". Richard was 5'10". Hull was 5'10". Mikita was 5'8". Clarke was 5'10". Trottier was no more than 5'11". Bossy was 6'1" but very slight. Lafleur was only 6'0". Gretzky was 170lbs. soaking wet. Crosby is very strong but only 5'10". St. Louis is 5'8".

There are exceptions, Beliveau, Howe, Esposito, Lemieux, Robinson, Pronger, Chara, Lindros, etc. stood out among their eras but with most of their eras there wasn't a necessity to be huge

Last edited by Big Phil: 12-11-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post

I tend to agree but I doubt that we are going back to wooden sticks.

If the league had been on top of the goalie equipment issue and not caved in to the silly "safety issue" then we wouldn't have the inflated blimp problem that we have now.

I doubt that the league will ever really deal with it since it's easier to win by defending and playing not to lose than it is to be creative and let the cream rise to the top.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote