HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles & NFL discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
LOL. Look at Nostradamus telling everyone definitively how much it costs for Luck.

Luck is so ridiculously overhyped.

My prediction is that the Colts will trade out of that spot and will do it relatively cheaply, trading back to around the 4th or 5th overall spot.
I disagree about luck, the way he was able to play this year with basically no weapons to throw this year. he is going to be a good qb.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
LOL. Look at Nostradamus telling everyone definitively how much it costs for Luck.

My prediction is that the Colts will trade out of that spot and will do it relatively cheaply, trading back to around the 4th or 5th overall spot.
I don't think that Luck is overrated--but I doubt it will take a pick-a-spot to move up to get him.

The key issue may well be how Barkley (assuming he comes out) grades out against Luck in the eyes of the Colts scouting staff. I've heard that some observers (few, to be sure) believe Barkley will be the better pro prospect. I'm not sure I buy that, but, if true, there's not reason for the Colts not to trade down a few spots and pick up other assets.

You would probably need to trade to 1 or 2 to get Kalil as well. With Bradford in St. Louis, I can't imagine they pass on him.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:13 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I don't think that Luck is overrated--but I doubt it will take a pick-a-spot to move up to get him.

The key issue may well be how Barkley (assuming he comes out) grades out against Luck in the eyes of the Colts scouting staff. I've heard that some observers (few, to be sure) believe Barkley will be the better pro prospect. I'm not sure I buy that, but, if true, there's not reason for the Colts not to trade down a few spots and pick up other assets.

You would probably need to trade to 1 or 2 to get Kalil as well. With Bradford in St. Louis, I can't imagine they pass on him.
Is the Kalil thing a joke?!?

Why in gods name would the Eagles want Kalil? Is there some new formation w/ 3 OTs?!?

because right now, the Eagles have the best LT in the league in Peters and arguably the best RT in the league in Herremans. What does Kalil do for us?

Old
12-11-2011, 02:19 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:

Why in gods name would the Eagles want Kalil? Is there some new formation w/ 3 OTs?!?

because right now, the Eagles have the best LT in the league in Peters and arguably the best RT in the league in Herremans. What does Kalil do for us?
He's probably the best OT to come out of the draft since Jake Long. Move Herremans back to guard, and put Kalil at RT to protect Vick's blindside.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Herremans has been fine, but he's not a natural tackle and he's 29 years old. If a stud tackle is available, you take him and move Todd back inside.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Yeah, let's play the wide 9 formation when the Dolphins have the ball inside our 10 yard line. They won't run Reggie Bush right through the gaping hole there. NOPE.

Thankfully, they only get a field goal out of it.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Eagles should draft a LB (hopefully Te'o or Kuechly) with their first pick, WR with their second (hopefully Sanu from Rutgers) and OG with their third pick (best available). I originally wanted them to take RG3 in the second round, but people have him going in the first, which I didn't think would happen.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:

First off, I agree with you. The Colts should trade out assuming they're going with Manning for the next 3-5 years. A lot of if's in that, but if Manning is still someone you're keeping in your camp, you're still trying to win Super Bowls, and Andrew Luck won't help them do that. They either owe it to Manning to help him, or they owe it to him to move him along to the Jets or Redskins something. I don't buy the whole "Luck will learn from the Master" BS, Luck is a NFL QB next year, and he should be on the field, not waiting his turn.

It doesn't matter that the hype is ridiculous, he's been pegged as the #1 pick in the draft since before this year. A lot of teams made moves in the off-season clearly to try and be in the running. Some of those teams are just bad enough organizations that they played their way out of that. John Elway was one of those people, and they put in Tebow to prove to the armchair GMs that he can't play in the NFL (along with trading away a good receiver to further doom him), and it seems like it's going to take another year to prove that. Unfortunately for them, they'd need Luck to have a change of heart and stay in school now.

With new contract structures for rookies, and the potential of Luck, if it doesn't cost that, it's going to cost more. And that's not something I've made up, a lot of network insiders say the same thing. They also say that the Colts are keeping the pick and taking Luck, so you're going to have to blow them away with an offer, since rookies aren't getting $50M guaranteed anymore.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:56 PM
TheLegendkiller

Anybody think a package of Jackson and Samuel would get a first round pick? I think both of their personalities are bad for the team. I think they should sign Jackson, shop him around, and if a team offers a first for Jackson and Samuel then I say pull the trigger.

EDIT: On and unrelated note...**** Brendan Shannahan, he sucks, he stupid ass son sucks, and Rex Grossman sucks. That whole organization needs to accept that fact and just move to Mississippi.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:57 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Herremans has been fine, but he's not a natural tackle and he's 29 years old. If a stud tackle is available, you take him and move Todd back inside.
Herremans has been more than fine. Anyone w/ any legitimate knowledge of football will tell you he has been outstanding and among the best RTs in the league. There is no reason to move him back inside.

As to Kalil, no thanks. Tackles have a long life in the NFL and Peters and Herremans should be fine well into the future. Also, Vick is 31. So spending a top-5 pick on him to protect Vick's blindside seems like a waste when Vick might only be here 1 or 2 more years.

OT isn't a big problem for this team right now. WR is. Defense is. QB is starting to look like one too (I have no clue what Vick is doing this year). I'd much rather address something there.

Old
12-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Herremans has been more than fine. Anyone w/ any legitimate knowledge of football will tell you he has been outstanding and among the best RTs in the league. There is no reason to move him back inside.

As to Kalil, no thanks. Tackles have a long life in the NFL and Peters and Herremans should be fine well into the future. Also, Vick is 31. So spending a top-5 pick on him to protect Vick's blindside seems like a waste when Vick might only be here 1 or 2 more years.

OT isn't a big problem for this team right now. WR is. Defense is. QB is starting to look like one too (I have no clue what Vick is doing this year). I'd much rather address something there.
"Anyone with legitimate knowledge of football." Wow.

I disagree with almost everything in your post--except your underlying premise that Vick isn't the long-term answer at quarterback.

Regardless of your evaluation of Herremans (I think Vick's mobility makes up for some of our lines lapses, but his eagerness to scramble also makes it more difficult to design and executive pass blocking schemes), he's 29, and tackles don't have THAT long of a shelf life. There's a reason he was drafted and developed at guard--he's better suited to the position. He's done an impressive, admirable job as a fill-in RT, but that doesn't make him a long-term piece there.

You don't take a middle-linebacker in the top 5, unless Ray Lewis is coming out of the draft. Offensive tackle is a value pick, but only if there is a plus player like Kalil on the board. It isn't simply about whether Kalil is an upgrade over Herremans, moving Herremans back inside strengthens the line as a whole.

If we end up somewhere around 10, then I think Ta'o is someone worth looking at closely. We should not be taking a WR in the first round, unless they've decided to part ways with Jackson.

Old
12-11-2011, 03:20 PM
TheLegendkiller

Roughing the passer is the lamest penalty ever.

Old
12-11-2011, 06:48 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Tebow Nation!

Old
12-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

I like Barkley a lot also and feel he will be a good one. However that being said, Luck is no joke and will go number one overall.

Old
12-15-2011, 10:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Manti Te'o is returning to ND for his senior year...there goes my draft plan. Can't wait for this season to end.

Old
12-17-2011, 07:38 PM
uvegotafrendinpa

anyone else rooting for the cowboys? I just want this madness to end so that there can be some closure...

Old
12-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvegotafrendinpa View Post
anyone else rooting for the cowboys? I just want this madness to end so that there can be some closure...
I'm watching it, but I'll be caught dead before I root for the Cowboys unless them winning somehow helps the Eagles.

There won't be any closure though. Even if the Giants and Cowboys both win the Eagles are actually still alive in the WC hunt. Such a bad NFC this year outside of 3 teams. I would, however, like to have all the people that I hear from time to time say that the Eagles "will make the playoffs" shut the hell up and take a step back from the Kool aid. Is it possible? Of course, since they're still not mathematically eliminated. But that's such a remote chance it's laughable to say that and really mean it right now.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:46 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Even if the Giants and Cowboys both win the Eagles are actually still alive in the WC hunt.
The WC is a 1 in 1,000,000 chance and not even remotely possible.

But do I have this figured out correctly?

1) Eagles win out
2) Giants lose tomorrow and Next week, but beat Dallas last week
3) Dallas (wins tonight), but loses next week, and the last week to Eagles
4) Eagles make playoffs

Old
12-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
The WC is a 1 in 1,000,000 chance and not even remotely possible.

But do I have this figured out correctly?

1) Eagles win out
2) Giants lose tomorrow and Next week, but beat Dallas last week
3) Dallas (wins tonight), but loses next week to Eagles, and the last week to Giants
4) Eagles make playoffs
I bolded your schedule gaffe, but apart from that, yes that's right.

I just mentioned the WC possibility, because no matter how remote, it still exists even if the Giants win tomorrow. Since there is only 1 playoff WC spot the Eagles can reach they'd have to beat out Detroit, Seattle, Chicago, and Arizona. Head to head they've lost to all but Detroit so they'd have to finish with a better record than the other 3.

To make it as a WC, I believe these events must unfold:
- Win out (obviously)
- Dallas must lose out
- Detroit must lose out
- Chicago must lose out
- Seattle must beat Chicago, but lose its other two games
- Arizona must beat Seattle, but lose its other two games

coolstandings.com has the chance of that happening at less than 0.1%

The only one thinking there's a chance that way is Lloyd Christmas.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Amateur Hour

Pretty sure I've never hated a Philadelphia professional sports team as much as these Eagles. I really just despise everything about them -- how they play, how they act, how they represent the city. It's at the point where I don't even want to watch the games and am actively rooting for them to lose.

It takes a lot to completely alienate me as a fan, but the Eagles have done it... especially because I predicted in the preseason that this team wasn't nearly as good as 99% of people thought and that I could see this devolving into a disastrous season.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:43 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Pretty sure I've never hated a Philadelphia professional sports team as much as these Eagles. I really just despise everything about them -- how they play, how they act, how they represent the city. It's at the point where I don't even want to watch the games and am actively rooting for them to lose.
Well, I still want them to win, but the things I hate most (in order):

1) Andy Reid
2) Desean Jackson's selfishness
3) The Entire team's (unwarranted) arrogance

I've probably forgot a few, but that sums it up fairly well for me.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Flyersfan139

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Well, I still want them to win, but the things I hate most (in order):

1) Andy Reid
2) Desean Jackson's selfishness
3) The Entire team's (unwarranted) arrogance

I've probably forgot a few, but that sums it up fairly well for me.
I still want them to win as well but this team is so unlikable. They continue to take shots at other teams and the fans even though they have a terrible record. When they lost to the Dolphins a few players said they were a "far better" team than them...oh really well then why are you 6-8?

DeSean was one of my favorite players last year but now I can care less if he is not back after this season. I am not as down on Reid as most people, the players on this team are dislikable I prefer to blame them.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:05 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Can somebody tell me why on earth the NFL would push for more NFL Network games in the new TV deal?

Mike Mayock and Brad Nessler are maybe the most clueless and idiotic announcer duo in pro football (and that's a strong statement considering Joe Buck and Troy Aikman still share a booth). I don't know why the expert analysis is more like a fashion show and a competition who has the biggest ego (Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin, I'm looking at you) and Rich Eisen's desperate attempts at being funny are pitiful. The only positive is Alex Flanagan. (Although I don't see the sense in those sideline-reporters. Why do we need a pretty face to tell us what the coaches said? At least Suzy Kolber has been promoted from parrot to actual analyst who can share her own opinion in the studio.)

Old
12-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Let the Fantasy stress begin. Lot of money on the line in todays game for me.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
12-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
Can somebody tell me why on earth the NFL would push for more NFL Network games in the new TV deal?
Money. More NFL network games = more subscriptions.

Quote:
Mike Mayock and Brad Nessler are maybe the most clueless and idiotic announcer duo in pro football (and that's a strong statement considering Joe Buck and Troy Aikman still share a booth).
I can't disagree with you more, at least when it comes to Mayock. He knows his stuff and doesn't sound like he's a teacher's pet type talking down to you when he explains plays... *cough*Chris Wheeler*cough*. Nessler is fine by me, but nothing special imho.
Quote:
I don't know why the expert analysis is more like a fashion show and a competition who has the biggest ego (Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin, I'm looking at you) and Rich Eisen's desperate attempts at being funny are pitiful.
In game analysis I'm perfectly okay with. You need those guys in game for those few that don't normally watch football regularly yet - women, younger viewers - to explain plays often. Mayock doesn't come off to me as having a huge ego like the others you mentioned. Those guys I'm glad aren't in game and I can just turn off if they just get on my nerves too much, which they often do.
Quote:
The only positive is Alex Flanagan. (Although I don't see the sense in those sideline-reporters. Why do we need a pretty face to tell us what the coaches said? At least Suzy Kolber has been promoted from parrot to actual analyst who can share her own opinion in the studio.)
Sideline reporters should only report injuries. All coaches use mostly the same go-to phrases around halftime if they're winning (i.e. we gotta keep up the pressure for the second half) or losing (i.e. we need to stick with our plan, outwork them, and make smarter decisions) and don't need to be chatted up.

Closed Thread