HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Safe to Say LaBarbera has come back down to Earth

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2005, 12:06 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Safe to Say LaBarbera has come back down to Earth

Last 6 games save %s:

12/2 - .815
11/28 - .857
11/24 - .879
11/22 - .872
11/5 - .906
11/3 - .818

Still wish him the best, but he is clearly not a nhl starting goalie.

Old
12-03-2005, 12:31 PM
ftyutin51

I honestly never liked LaBarbera when he was in the AHL or NHL and I honestly do not think he will ever be a permanent #1 starting goalie for a team that doesn't already have a #1 starting goalie.

Old
12-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Edge

I posted on that in another thread a few days ago.

I was amazed how far down his numbers went. But people are getting used to him now, it's a lot like pitching.

I think Labs is an NHL goalie, I just don't think he's a starter on a good team.

Also it's worth mentioning that Ekman resembles the player he was before his 04 miracle season.

I remember a lot of threads about that one, but now that reality has set in it's flown under the radar.

Old
12-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Fletch

If you've seen some of those games...

you may know why. Also, I think with the return of Garon as the 'starter', he seemed to get out of rhythm, and hasn't gotten it back as he's played more in recent games. Last night he looked OK - but the Wings were buzzing for a while, especially after smelling blood - their defense looked a bit in disarray last night.

Old
12-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
you may know why. Also, I think with the return of Garon as the 'starter', he seemed to get out of rhythm, and hasn't gotten it back as he's played more in recent games. Last night he looked OK - but the Wings were buzzing for a while, especially after smelling blood - their defense looked a bit in disarray last night.
Don't think it's totally his fault. But he's also not stealing a whole lot either. Lundvist continues to play like a man hell-bent on winning a cup. Labs is looking like a guy who frankly, has kind of it the wall. He's not blame for LA woes per say, but he also doesn't look like he's the guy to end them.

Old
12-03-2005, 02:28 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Labarbera missed some games because of personal reasons early last month.Wonder if they are still bothering him?

Old
12-03-2005, 02:41 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Labarbera missed some games because of personal reasons early last month.Wonder if they are still bothering him?
Those personal reasons were him having to attend a will hearing, he had to be there since he was written into the will. I doubt that is what is bothering him.

Old
12-03-2005, 03:05 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Those personal reasons were him having to attend a will hearing, he had to be there since he was written into the will. I doubt that is what is bothering him.
Those will readings can get very emotional.Ralph Kramden thought he was inheriting a fortune but it turned out to be a bird

Ed even brought an empty suitcase to the reading

Old
12-03-2005, 03:17 PM
LeHab

The difference between then and now?

his first 5 games

Pho
Edm
Clb
Dal
Ana

His last 5 games

Nas
Det
Nas
Det
Ott

He is still good for a rookie

Old
12-03-2005, 03:21 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1
The difference between then and now?

his first 5 games

Pho
Edm
Clb
Dal
Ana

His last 5 games

Nas
Det
Nas
Det
Ott

He is still good for a rookie
So that proves he can't play against good teams? It really shouldnt matter that much who he plays.

Old
12-03-2005, 03:47 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I thought before also that he'd only amount to an NHL back-up, and I will stick by that.

Old
12-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Fletch

My friend recently did a will reading...

and hasn't spoken to his brother since - not fun stuff.

But being off for almost three weeks can affect a goalie, especially one in a groove.

And I agree, Edge - Lundqvist has been playing at an elite level; Labs average to good (two years ago it would've been considered below average, but these days, goaltending just ain't that good).

Old
12-03-2005, 04:23 PM
filthy#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
I thought before also that he'd only amount to an NHL back-up, and I will stick by that.
very true...good call!

Old
12-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Also it's worth mentioning that Ekman resembles the player he was before his 04 miracle season.

I remember a lot of threads about that one, but now that reality has set in it's flown under the radar.
Most sentiments were that he should have played in NY at a time when Matthew Barnaby was our most potent LW'er, not that he was a going to be an important part of the Ranger's future. I mean, can you say for a fact Ekman couldn't have contributed something at a time when that kind of contribution was most desperately needed. Wasn't it worth a try?

Old
12-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Fletch

I personally thought...

that on past Rangers teams, he deserved a shot to see what he had. At a minimum, I'll stick with that no matter how he's doing this year. Had no idea what he would turn out to be as I didn't really see him enough.

Old
12-03-2005, 05:14 PM
shoothepuck

I had a will reading last year and haven't spoken to my brother's and sister's since,(was like tomb raiders), so it could be a problem, but you never know. He is a pro, a back-up at best, maybe he can turn it around .

Old
12-03-2005, 05:33 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
trying to feel better about ourselves are we?

Old
12-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Refuse
Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
trying to feel better about ourselves are we?
You think there's are reason after 6 straight wins? Threads like that are started by pens fans.

Old
12-03-2005, 11:30 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse
You think there's are reason after 6 straight wins? Threads like that are started by pens fans.
lol

Old
12-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Most sentiments were that he should have played in NY at a time when Matthew Barnaby was our most potent LW'er, not that he was a going to be an important part of the Ranger's future. I mean, can you say for a fact Ekman couldn't have contributed something at a time when that kind of contribution was most desperately needed. Wasn't it worth a try?
Worth a try? Perhaps, but unfortunatly I don't remember the comments being quite that calm and collected.

If most reactions were as calm as what you and Fletch did here, I think it would've been over and done with. Unfortunatly the board as a whole went into "the world is ending mode" and it became a huge deal.

For better or worse, this is a VERY emotional board and that was one of those times where it got emotional. What usually happens though is as time goes by, no one really remembers how dramatic it was.

That's really what I found interesting. No more, no less really. My feeling than was that Ekman wasn't a huge deal to get concerned about, and that's my feeling now.

Old
12-04-2005, 01:19 AM
VEGASRANGERFAN

At the beginning of the season, when Jason was hot, I was just remembering all the players that we let go and they turn into all stars. Then I saw Lundqvist

Old
12-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
If most reactions were as calm as what you and Fletch did here, I think it would've been over and done with.
Oh, mine was much more emotional at the time, trust me.

If you used the word "perhaps" to get more emotional, it worked. Promoting a LW'er, who was also your affiliates leading scorer, to the big club with no scoring LW'ers should have been a no-brainer.

As far as trading Ekman, I did and still do think Wiseman has more of an upside, so it's tough for me to lament his departure.

Old
12-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
It's not that he's come down, it's that our defense is atrocious in front of him.

Hell our whole team has been downright bad, and it's not Jason's fault. He's been really good, but everygame he gives up one soft goal.

How's Rullier doing? I know he got his face broken a couple of weeks ago, but is he playing better? He's on a one way deal right? Does he have a chance at a call up?

Closed Thread