HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The announcers

Old
12-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Phunhog

vCash: 500
The announcers

Is it me or does anyone else think that the banter between Jackson, Coates & Jones is borish, stupid and annoying. I mean it's the same jokes every game. How many times do we have to hear from Jackson how "great" Jones was. How many times do we have to hear Jones make old man cracks about Coatesey. It's so unfunny it's embarrising. Bob Sagot was funnier on America's funniest home videos, really. Don't get me wrong, Jackson calls a great game minus the whinning about the Ref's. Although if I had my choice, i would make Saunders and Bundy the A team.

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Betts11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Is it me or does anyone else think that the banter between Jackson, Coates & Jones is borish, stupid and annoying. I mean it's the same jokes every game. How many times do we have to hear from Jackson how "great" Jones was. How many times do we have to hear Jones make old man cracks about Coatesey. It's so unfunny it's embarrising. Bob Sagot was funnier on America's funniest home videos, really. Don't get me wrong, Jackson calls a great game minus the whinning about the Ref's. Although if I had my choice, i would make Saunders and Bundy the A team.
I don't mind it to be honest. Coatesey can get annoying, but thats nothing new. And Saunders can give me a headache..sounds like he has something stuffed up his nose when the Flyers score.

Betts11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:55 PM
duffy9748

I like Clement and Jones. Jackson does take too many shots at Jones and Therien. Every time there is a trivia question he rags on them. I'm at the point now where I think whatever Coatesy says is hilarious. I loved how during last nights game, he said Simmonds goal was a nice shot up stairs.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

I'm luke warm on the crew as a whole.

I've always found Coutesey annoying and pretty much useless. I can't remember any time ever where Coutesey has made an observation and I thought "wow, thats a great point, I would have never thought of that"

I've always loved Jonesey. I think he has the right balance of funny vs serious input. He doesn't take himself too seriously but at the same time is articulate and knowledgeable.

I used too love JJ, but soured on him the last few years. I just don't think he carries the pace of a game to well, and find myself getting bored because of it. I just don't think he makes the game sound as dramatic as some of my favorite pbp guys.

The most frustrating thing for me is that they have, IMO, the best color guy in hockey in Bill Clement, and they hardly ever use him.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Clement and Jones are fine. Jackson and the drunken idiot are second-rate. They're not the worst, but there's much better.

Saunders is very good, but Therien actually says what he thinks (since he's on WIP's payroll and not the Flyers), so he'll never get promoted.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

on the other hand, Jonesy really loves his cheese balls .....

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:08 PM
BringBackStevens

I like Jackson but I definitely think the radio team would make for a much better TV crew. Give them Jones/Clement and it would be a great team

Coatsey is awful but I do enjoy him on a pure laugh at him basis

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
The jokes are very "eh" to me, I dont mind them but I dont laugh either. However, Bob Sagat was NOT funnier.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:10 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Worst Flyers broadcast I ever watched was a couple seasons back. Jonesy wasn't there and I guess Clement wasn't available either. So, it was JJ doing play by play and (ugh!) Coatsey doing the color commentary. You think Coatsey is kind of annoying when he's the on ice guy? Imagine him having something to say every 30 secs or so. Oy.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:13 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I wish clement got more time.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:21 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Saunders is very good, but Therien actually says what he thinks (since he's on WIP's payroll and not the Flyers), so he'll never get promoted.
WIP doesn't hire and/or pay Flyers broadcasters. So... yeah.

I think Jones, Therien and Clement are all great. JJ is ok. Not the best, but definitely not the worst. I like his hockey PBP way better than his baseball, Phillies need to end that experiment.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:28 PM
BringBackStevens

Things I like about Jackson: has a non-irritating voice, almost never messes up the players names (even the opposition), which is somewhat rare. Seems to have a pretty good understanding of league wide happenings

What I dont like - Just a little bit too much of a homer. I want my announcers to be a little bit of homers, but he takes it too far some times

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

I have to give credit to Therien on Giroux. Roo's rookie year that Therien was saying that he was further along in his development than Richards/Carter were at his age, and that he would one day be a top 5 scorer in the NHL. I remember thinking at the time that he was just being a huge homer.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:39 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

"They say it's onsides..."

I like them all though, great team imo

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:43 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I wish clement got more time.
I heard Clement on NHL Radio before the season. He said he's taking more of a "semi-retirement" role this year, which is why he's in the studio more.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Readyrock
(・_・;)

I think Coatesy should be demoted to mascot. He should just walk around during games with a beer and one of those hotdog launchers.

Jonesy and JJ are fine. JJ is a sort of doughy... in real life, I can picture him being an agoraphobic creep - but, all play-by-play guys seem kind of weird, I guess.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I have grown up with JJ so I like him.

Coatesy used to entertain me when I was growing up with his segment after the 1st period (Coatesy's Corner).

I enjoy Jones, but I REALLY like Clement. Wish he was on more.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:58 PM
DeflatedFootball7

I've always liked Saunders more. He just brings so much excitement when we score.

Therien is boring as hell though.

JJ has really been a put off the past couple years. He's become way too much of a homer.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

For those unfamilar with Gene Hart's 'Voice of the Flyers' days, I suggest if you can catch the Soviet Army vs the '76 Flyers Game being aired periodically on CSN... or get a hold of the en Greatest Flyers Game DVD and listen to Geno call games.

Gene originally called the TV and Radio in simulcast... so the TV got to hear what the radio people hear... and TV viewers heard what is going on, rather than banter while the play is going on. Hart couldn't dare take too much time off the PBP calling, lest the Radio listeners lose what is going on on the ice... The banter and education was between action filler or crammed into the game call.

In his heyday Gene was able to do the PBP as well as educate and amuse without missing a beat... And he had a ton of knowledge to give... and being a teacher originally by trade he loved to educate. Also for quite a while he had almost a clean slate for an audience when it came to hockey knowledge.

I miss that pure simulcast announcing... and most of all I miss Gene Hart. I believe all this post Hart announcing stems from the PBP man no having to stick to the action and their wanting to entertain rather than educate.

I also miss Dorney's "Stop it there" telestrations... but I'm not going to be to hard on JJ, Jones/Bill and Coatesy; we can do a hell of a lot worse.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
It is an annoying trend within the industry. It's probably not as abrasive because it is the home crew and Coatsey possesses self-deprecation. JJ is good but not exceptional. I've never been a proponent of three-men crews and though they can serve a purpose, too often it weighs down telecasts. When game action is occuring the PxP man's responsibility should be calling what is happening and the commentators shouldn't be too intrusive.

As I stated about Mike Emrick (VERSUS) the other night, PxP men should never stray from the course of the game as he often does during the NBC/VERSUS circus show. Less is more. Example in that game, with about seven minutes remaining, the trio was talking about Sean O'Donnell and how the Flyers chose not to re-sign him. There is little need to discuss such topics late in a one-goal game; then a play developed into a potential goal but that was secondary to the ongoing talk.

Duos that clicked, Emrick and Bill Clement for example, exuded chemistry and were an ideal tandem. John Shorthouse (Canucks) is an example of how to properly broadcast a game, at least for my tastes.

The Gene Harts of the world are a rare breed and it would be unfair to compare and contrast styles, but it was that unique talent that painted an atmosphere of excitement and kept the listener/viewer informed.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Krishna

I like em.. Basically for me at least with Jackson, its nostalgic since Jackson has been doing it for the flyers for as long as i can remember..
Jonesy i love because of him always pissing off Milbury on national broadcasts
Coatesy love him too even though he is slightly retarded, he provides a lot of laughs
Clement is a good hockey guy as well

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I feel like JJ's voice and how he calls the game is one of the best today. He is not overly homerish and is objective which i like.

Jones is a bit of a cheeseball but he has a good sense of humor and goes with the flow.

Coatsey is needed for comic relief and a guy that jj and jonesy can mock and stuff.

Bill clement is a legend, and hockey fans really miss out when he is not part of the broadcast, guy has the quickest wit about him and is funny as hell.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Flyerfan4life

maybe its just me.. but i really just let the announcers commentators chat go in one ear and out the other

it takes a real bunch of homers to make me notice them and wanna mute the audio. ala the Pens announce team

/UGH..

but i will agree Coatsey does say "butterfly" wayyyy to much

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:46 PM
bryzgalovsky*

There are 82 games in a season. How creative can an announcer be?

At least they keep it lighthearted as opposed to being dull.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:55 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Bob Cole in his prime would be awesome - alas he is beyond that....

Someone here should apply

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote