HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Price worth 7 million?

View Poll Results: Is Carey Price worth 7 million a year at a 5 year deal?
Yes 66 30.41%
No 151 69.59%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Double XX L

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
He quite deserves 7 millions but I expect a long term deal at 6 or 6.5 per year..
Absolutely It's wise IMO for guys at Prices level to go for longer terms, at slightly below market value. Esp. in goal, its wise to keep options available...

As much as the money may be nice... if the player doesnt perform, or a scenario doesnt work out,... the nightmare is long... (See Gomez, Redden, Drury) I see the superstars going this way to lower cap hits, & guarantee large payouts Like legal versions of Luongo's or Hossa's deals.

Nobody wants to BE Kovalchuk IMO... That may be proftable upfront, but it tends to burn bridges at the backnd

Double XX L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:34 AM
MathMan

No goalie is worth 7 million, even an exceptional one. Even the best goalie in the world is not worth so much. The gap between "elite" and "good enough" simply isn't impactful enough, and there's plenty of goalies and only 60 jobs to fill. Unlike for, say, centers, it's a buyer's market. Despite some organizations' complete ineptitude at it, quality goalies are just not that hard to find -- and Montreal is most decidedly NOT inept at evaluating and developing goaltenders.

That's even without considering that Price is an RFA, limiting his leverage in contract negotiation.

I've gone one further in the other thread: if Price cannot be signed under 7 million, then the org should absolutely consider trading him. I like Price, I hope the Habs keep him, I think he is an exceptional goalie. But goalies, even exceptional ones, are not worth that kind of money. Price has a lot of hype; some GM may be willing to trade some extremely valuable assets for him, and then the Habs can turn around and dig up a good-enough goalie (they've been really good at digging up quality goaltending!), sign him for a heck of a lot less than 7 million, and end up with assets that help them more than the difference between Price and his replacement.

Now, of course it depends on the return and on the salary cap. If it keeps going up, a rich team like Montreal can pay whoever they want however much it takes. Player valuation becomes a non-issue when there's no practical cap on salaries and your budget is all but unlimited; you just pay the guys you want.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Souvenirs

I love Price, he is worth quite a bit of money and will get it. 7 million though? No. I don't think that he'd refuse to sign for less. It's mostly all speculation since Rinne got 7 million,but he has better numbers and was going to be UFA: Price will get less. something around 4.5-5.5 imo.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Lafleurs Guy

So, if the guy demanded 7 mil... all you guys would let him walk?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Walk no way, but definitely see who I could get for him in a trade.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:56 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
depends on length

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:01 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
If he wanted a 7m cap hit. If he wouldn't budge from a 49/7 contract; yes most GMs would trade him. Goalies are not, ever, worth a 7m cap hit aka 1/10th of your cap.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:02 AM
guest1467

He really has no grounds to demand 7 million.

This organization has treated him like a king.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:06 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
If he wanted a 7m cap hit. If he wouldn't budge from a 49/7 contract; yes most GMs would trade him. Goalies are not, ever, worth a 7m cap hit aka 1/10th of your cap.
if lets say thomas was paid 7 last year, he wouldn't have been worth it?

(he was paid 6.. cap hit is 5)

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Goalies are often worth that much money for a season, the problem is that they're way more inconsistant than any other position and you can replace them much easier, making parking a big amount of money into the position not a very good bet.

Old
12-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Adam91

Is he worth it? Probably. Will he get it? No. He's an RFA people, Rinne signed that contract 1 season before becoming a UFA.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Goalies are often worth that much money for a season, the problem is that they're way more inconsistant than any other position and you can replace them much easier, making parking a big amount of money into the position not a very good bet.
Isn't that all the more reason to pay a goalie when you find one that actually is consistent?

And I really don't understand all the 'no goalie is worth 7 mil' comments... how that hell does that make any sense? If anything the goalie is the most important position on the team. And if you have one that is arguably the best in the league I don't see how you can let that guy walk.

As for the 'he has to have won the cup...' how does that make sense either? Why is it okay to pay a center 7 million of he hasn't won a cup but not a goalie?

Price is a top 5 goalie in the league right now. He might even be top 3 and he's probably the lead candidate for Team Canada next time around. His development is better than almost any goalie in history and some guys are saying that he's inconsistent? Most goalies aren't even in the league at 23 years old let alone 20. And how many of those folks could handle the heat in Montreal?

About the only thing here that resonates with me is the fact that Price might (and I haven't checked) be an RFA next time around. If that's the case then it gives the club leverage. Still, if it were me, I'd lock him up for 5/35 in a heartbeat if I could.
Quote:
Walk no way, but definitely see who I could get for him in a trade.
I'm just shocked by this... you'd trade him? At 7 mil, you'd look to trade him?

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 12-12-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:56 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
if lets say thomas was paid 7 last year, he wouldn't have been worth it?

(he was paid 6.. cap hit is 5)
Quote:
I obviously mean over a long period of time, as in several seasons, because goalies are very inconsistent. Especially Price, who has not proven anything individually tremendous in the playoffs.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Isn't that all the more reason to pay a goalie when you find one that actually is consistent?

And I really don't understand all the 'no goalie is worth 7 mil' comments... how that hell does that make any sense? If anything the goalie is the most important position on the team. And if you have one that is arguably the best in the league I don't see how you can let that guy walk.

As for the 'he has to have won the cup...' how does that make sense either? Why is it okay to pay a center 7 million of he hasn't won a cup but not a goalie?

Price is a top 5 goalie in the league right now. He might even be top 3 and he's probably the lead candidate for Team Canada next time around. His development is better than almost any goalie in history and some guys are saying that he's inconsistent? Most goalies aren't even in the league at 23 years old let alone 20. And how many of those folks could handle the heat in Montreal?

About the only thing here that resonates with me is the fact that Price might (and I haven't checked) be an RFA next time around. If that's the case then it gives the club leverage. Still, if it were me, I'd lock him up for 5/35 in a heartbeat if I could.

I'm just shocked by this... you'd trade him? At 7 mil, you'd look to trade him?
Being top 5 in the league doesn't mean that much when number 15 is the league average starter. At that is if Price is top 5, which is debatable.

The point also is that Price is a milestone at 7 either, although goalies are so volatile he certainly could be. Its that the return on trading him would make up for the gap between Price and the kind of decent goaltending a team can pick up on the cheap.

In anycase, I doubt Price makes 7. That's what Rinne got when he had the leverage of UFA status and he's been better than Price over the past few years. Thus far Rinne's career save percentage (.920) is what Price does during a good year.

Old
12-12-2011, 04:21 AM
The Right Price

Geoff probably threw something in the wall the second he heard what money Rinne got. I mean Rinne is a great goalie and all but he hasn't really won anything, no a Cup nor a Vezina. I don't see how Price wouldn't warrant 7 M for a longer term contract considering he is our Hart candidate for the second year running (plus the media obligations and high taxes to booth). With that said, I think even his agent realizes that Rinne got a bit overpaid and therefore is willing to settle in the 6 M - 6.5 M range. However, MAF gets 5 mill in Burgh and has won a cup, which is good for our capspace.

I'd offer Price a 6 year 36 M deal. 6 per year.

But basically you give him whatever he wants that's 7 or under.

Last edited by The Right Price: 12-12-2011 at 04:30 AM.
The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:03 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
never , goalies are worth less because of the market.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:07 AM
Lshap

Previous goalie contracts don't automatically set the bar higher. Yes, if Nashville and Philadelphia meet in the SCF, it'll be a vindication of Bryzgalov and Rinne's massive salaries. Goalies will say, "See what that money buys you?", and GM's will have to agree. However, if Bryz continues to sputter and Rinne ends up lost amongst many other very good goalies, then those other goalies don't have as much bargaining weight. Huge salaries only become the norm when they're backed up by huge results.

After all, Gomez's contract hasn't spurred other non-producing forwards to demand the same salary.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:07 AM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Rinne wasn't worth 7 million, and Price isn't either.
Though he's still amazing.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Price is a good goalie with a potential to be great but whatever he does has not made us a great team. It would pain me giving him this much if his plays has had so little consequences for us.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

$7M?

Maybe for two or three years in a long-term contract, but that's it.

Just saw the poll - Not a chance, IMO. He's worth $7M more than Gomez is, but so is freaking Todd Fedoruk.

Last edited by Hawkguy: 12-12-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Dekar

I say give him $9M for 2 years (cap hit $4.5M, salary $4M and $5M), then lock him up at $31M for 5 years (cap hit $6.2M, salary $5M, $6M, $6M, $6.5M, and $7.5M).

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:23 AM
PunkinDrublic*

I was actually quite surprised to see Agnostic be one of the first to vote no.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Beakermania*

Price is not getting the same money as an RFA that guys like Miller and Rinne got when they were knocking on the door to being UFAs.... Hes just not... Its silly.

Even if they sign him to a long term deal and buy out those UFA years.

The contract would be structured similar to Halak's St. Louis deal... with the money backloaded, and the RFA years at RFA price, and UFA years and UFA price.

Something like

Total Cap Hit 30 million over 5 years or 6 million per season.

I don't see any way he gets 7 million next season, short of a cup and conn smythe performance... and if he does that, its a nice problem to have.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:45 AM
neofury*

To people saying no over the semantics... does it honestly really matter if you feel Price isn't worth 7 million when the market dictates he is? Imo he's worth 7 million because on the market 7 million is easily what he would get. In the same logic most people are using to say no every player in the league isn't "worth" what they are paid. They're paid to play a sport, but if we're looking at it logically within the context of said sport 7 million is fair market value for Price. After the Rinne signing it pretty much set the bar but it isn't like guys like Ward weren't making 6 million way back when 6 million was a higher % of the cap than 7 million is currently. Pretty scary to think about honestly. I'd have to imagine that Ward was probably around 10-15% of their cap space at the time.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:49 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Price is a good goalie with a potential to be great but whatever he does has not made us a great team. It would pain me giving him this much if his plays has had so little consequences for us.
lolwut? If anything he's the only thing keeping this team in "alright" territory

How do you expect him to "make us a great team" have a shutout every game?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote