HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The announcers

Old
12-11-2011, 09:03 PM
DayoftheGreek

vCash: 500
After 5 years away from the Philly area and being stuck with every other teams announcers, I'm happy to put up with their banter. They have their flaws, but at least they seem to have some fun messing with each other. From what I've seen/heard, we're pretty lucky as far as I am concerned.

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

If I'm actively watching the game I'm generally not concentrating on what the announcers are saying. If they want to have a side conversation it's fine by me, I'm not using them anyways.

If I'm making dinner and only listening to the commentary their sidetracks get on my nerves. I don't know how often they'll be in the middle of a story and suddenly break out of it to say two words about a scoring chance I had no idea was forming, because they weren't talking about it.

I'm fine with Coatsey. He is what he is.

12-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
I have to give credit to Therien on Giroux. Roo's rookie year that Therien was saying that he was further along in his development than Richards/Carter were at his age, and that he would one day be a top 5 scorer in the NHL. I remember thinking at the time that he was just being a huge homer.
Credit to Therien for sure, but he was far from the only one who could see the potential with Giroux (Pierre McGuire's been slurping him forever). It was immediately noticeable... he made plays that rookies -- even veterans -- simply do not make. His hockey sense was off the charts, and his natural talent was on a different level altogether. But it wasn't until Giroux's Gordie Howe hat trick against the Penguins in the playoffs, which included his remarkable individual effort short-handed to steal the puck from Gonchar and then find Gagne at the side of the net for the easy tap in, that I elevated his peak potential from first-liner to legitimate superstar. I was at the game, right behind the Flyers net in the upper level, so I saw that entire play develop. After my friends were done pulling at my Giroux jersey and pointing to it for the entire section to see, I turned to one of them and said, "We have ourselves a very special hockey player, and this is only the beginning." Remember it like it was yesterday.

Anyway, I like the Flyers' broadcast team. I grew up with JJ and Dorny and after having listened to so many other broadcasts, I know I could've had it a lot worse. Jones and Clement are two of the best at what they do, while Coatesy is a sideshow clown meant to dance for our entertainment.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:53 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Creator of this thread clearly does not have Center Ice. Or had Center Ice at a time when both team's feeds weren't available (a few years ago).

Some team's in the west have announcers that can put people to sleep. Many have biased announcers that are totally unbearable. JJ, Jonesy, Clement, and Coatsey are no where near that.

And Rick Jeannerette can be fired from a cannon into the sun for all I care.

I still think the best announcer around is Doc Emerick. Guy is a solid announcer, knows his stuff, and rarely shows a bias (and rarely showed it even when doing Devils broadcasts).

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 12-12-2011 at 10:18 AM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
And Rick Jeannerette can be fired from a cannon into the sun for all I care.
Thank you.

I guess it's cute if you're from Buffalo, but when he gets excited he sounds like a homeless guy gargling mayonnaise.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:11 PM
McNasty

The more I listen to other broadcasters the more it dawns on me how much of a homer JJ is. To his credit he's fairly knowledgeable of other teams and is usually good with names, but he's a blatant homer.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Prongo
Beer

I think almost every single announcer is really a homer. They all are biased to their team. One of the worst annoucers I heard recently was the Flames play by play guy. I had to change the feed because he was absolutely boring haha. He really had no enthusiasm while I watched the game.

Gene Hart is still my boy. Loved listening to him and Dorny on Prism when I was young... ahh the good ol days lol. RIP

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:14 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Creator of this thread clearly does not have Center Ice. Or had Center Ice at a time when both team's feeds were available (a few years ago).

Some team's in the west have announcers that can put people to sleep. Many have biased announcers that are totally unbearable. JJ, Jonesy, Clement, and Coatsey are no where near that.
I agree with this statement 100%. I had center ice for 3 years and they rarely had Flyer feeds that were not non-Flyer feeds so I got to listen to a lot of opposing announcers. Far too often announcers would be biased even if their team played terribly or could not call a PBP for their life. After having to endure that, I welcome what we have knowing it could be far worse - even having to put up with Coatsey (and his limited range of quotes and stories).

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Snipsnap12

All I know is after watching the pens-flyers game on the pens feed (ROOT) I have come to realize that they have the worst, moronic, biased announcers in the league.

The guy said "the flyers are taking a page out of the pens book" at least 15 times... they refused to show malkin take his coward elbox at giroux, and played arm chair referee the entire game.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:57 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
I don't have a problem with anyone except Coates. He's a great guy and everything, but come on. The dude's losing it.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:11 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

The Flyers' crew is middle of the road compared to the rest of the league.

You can't escape biases when you cover the same team time and again; my least favourite crews are those that have extremely biased colour commentators, though... even though I understand why they've been employed.

Re: Doc Emrick... I've always been unable to stand his voice and his terminology. His knowledge base is excellent, but I just can't sit through an entire game listening to him.

12-12-2011, 01:17 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I really don't understand the hate on JJ in this thread.

And for the record, maybe it's just me, but I want my teams announcer to be a homer. Im watching as a fan of my team, in order for me to connect with the pxp guy, I want him to be a fan too.

Doc emrick is good, but he's severely over rated. He seems to always downplay the flyers and however good they're playing, and he really needs to expel the word "paraphernalia" from his vocabulary.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:25 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

jj gives credit to other teams/players when due, but when it comes to refereeing decisions he's a homer. "they say the play is onsides!"

saunders is great for radio. he paints a great picture of the game for listeners. i wouldn't want that to be wasted on television.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:26 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I really don't understand the hate on JJ in this thread.

And for the record, maybe it's just me, but I want my teams announcer to be a homer. Im watching as a fan of my team, in order for me to connect with the pxp guy, I want him to be a fan too.

Doc emrick is good, but he's severely over rated. He seems to always downplay the flyers and however good they're playing, and he really needs to expel the word "paraphernalia" from his vocabulary.
knifed along the boards and carried in with swagger and OFF THE PARAPHERNALIA while the flyers were making a fire-wagon change! MMYYY GOOODNESS!"

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:37 AM
duffy9748

Emrick is brutal with names. He blew a ton in the game against the Sabres.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:40 AM

JJ is actually quite a good commentator in terms of keepin up with play and delivering the facts. Just get him to tone back the banter.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:17 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I do like all of them, even if Coatsey can grate on me a bit. But honestly, some of the better ones I like are the ones from Dallas and Carolina.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I really like all the guys apart from coatsey. Guy is just an idiot.

Saunders on the Radio is pretty fantastic. I remember in the earlier days before streams staying up till 2 in the morning listening to flyers radio.

JJ is good at what he does. If you think he's too over the top in homerism then you seriously need to go listen to the penguins, bruins or buffalo feeds.

Personally I've always thought that jim hughson was the best in the business.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Slowbro

NOT SO FAST, HORN MAN

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Ah yes, mishkin or whatever his name is. What a joke

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:29 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I could not stop laughing when I heard the guy from Tampa. Oh my god that is so bad .

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Krishna

I never understood why people don't hate bias announcers if its not a nationally broadcasted game

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:34 AM
StandingCow

I always thought the Flyer announcers weren't too bad. I have heard them give props to the other team and talk about their players plenty of times...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Foreverinour

i they theyre fine. course they're going to be homers..its CSN. Not Versus/NHLN. its our home network. coatsey is whatever..(they stopped doing coatseys corner right?) as a flyers fan standpoint its good. a technical standpoint, could be better of course with more clement, etc. but its fine.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Kaktus*

I can not stand Cotsey.
WIP guys are really good. I love what Therian says on the radio. Sometime, it is priceless.
Put comcast on mute and put WIP on.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote