HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Terry Murray Rant Thread [Merged]

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2011, 08:53 PM
  #626
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Is everyone missing the fact that Muller was the head coach of the Preds AHL team before the Canes hired him?
No one is missing that, but Dean still has to ask. They can say no.

I don't think Shero would stand in his way to an NHL job, but you never know. At least the Kings are no where near Pittsburgh's conference.

Do it Dean.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 09:00 PM
  #627
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!
 
agentfouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Man, I keep hoping every time I log on here, there's a "Murray Fired" thread.
You and me both, man, you and me both.

agentfouser is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 09:18 PM
  #628
LAPenguin
Registered User
 
LAPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Jordan
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

John Hynes

The AHL coach of the year for 10-11.


http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.c...-coach-of.html

He's young, relatively new, and because he coaches the Penguins AHL affiliate, I believe he runs a similar system to Bylsma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
No one is missing that, but Dean still has to ask. They can say no.

I don't think Shero would stand in his way to an NHL job, but you never know. At least the Kings are no where near Pittsburgh's conference.

Do it Dean.
Hey guys, saw this thread as I'm a supporter of the Kings and want to see the team take the next step, which I also believe involves going in a new direction for a coach.

To answer the above two quotes, the WBS squad runs a very similar system to Bylsma's, so they can step and pick up the NHL system very quickly(unfortunately, we've called up a ton of players the last few years).

Shero has shown a willingness to allow his staff to take jobs, as our assistant GM(Fitzgerald), and Mike Yeo have both moved on to new positions the last few years.

Good luck the rest of the season. I hope it turns around.

LAPenguin is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 09:24 PM
  #629
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!
 
FrozenKing18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: So Cal
Country: United States
Posts: 5,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
You and me both, man, you and me both.
lol same here

FrozenKing18 is online now  
Old
12-11-2011, 09:30 PM
  #630
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
What would be the point of hiring a new coach if he doesn't get the chance to implement his systems? Would the new coach just tell the players to go do whatever they want for those four games? Teams don't get the same type of quality practice on the road that they do at home.

If Murray is fired before the next game, I will rock a Terry Murray avatar for the rest of the season.
Covering sports at the junior level, a lot of coaches said it was actually easier to start a season on the road. It promotes bonding and removes several distratcions. Never asked if the same applies to joining a team mid-season, but I could see the value to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I think a new coach would prefer to start on the road. No distractions from the home life.
Or what Sydor said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
It usually takes an off season and training camp to implement a completely new system.
No it doesn't. Much of what seperates a coach from another coach is how players are taught to react in specific situations; breaking out from their own zone, where to go with a neutral zone turn over, positioning inside the offensive zone, etc. Important stuff, but not applicable to much of the game. It's why a guy like Hitchcock adjusted so quickly. Muller is up against a lot of issues in Carolina, while Hunter is trying to change a desire to win, or lack thereof. There's no similar issues here from what is apparent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
would like to see Tony Granato get a chance. He has paid his dues and is learning in a great organization which always finds a way to win.
No thank you. He has failed to get the most out of his line ups in the past, line ups that included some pretty damn good names in Colorado. We already have someone who can't get the most out of his line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak331 View Post


This is us in a few days
It's not now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Either get a proven winner in Carlyle or get a young and hungry coach to come in and stoke some fire in these guys.
100% this. Though I don't think Carlyle is the right choice right now. I think someone like him might be best if he takes a few months off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

If it is a case of waiting until the offseason Bob B would be an incredible choice.
The bogeyman is on my list as well. I think he'd be an excellent choice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Here are a couple guys I wouldn't mind seeing

Craig MacTavish Just more of the same, pass
Joe Paterson (Coaching Adirondack, coached Sault St. Marie, former Kings)
Igor Larionov Sounds good, but he won't come
Tony Granato Pass for reasons above

maybe you roll the dice on guys like

Mark French (Current coach of the Hershey Bears)
Brent Thomspon (Former Kings, coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, ECHL coach of the year last year)

good minor league coaches.
Done know enough about the other three, but of MacT, Igor and Tony G, I'd only support Larinov for the boom potential. There's zero chance he comes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
my #1 choice. don't know much about this guy, but THIS is the type of resume you look for in a new and upcoming coach. consistently producing results each level up he goes. the most impressive is what he accomplished last season with WB. the PIT roster decimated with injuries called on the AHL club all season. with huge roster overturn this guy goes out to a 58-21 record. that is a guy that gets everything out of his players.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56898
I second your choice. He has a good pedigree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Would the penguins let him go mid-season? I could see Stevens used as an interim coach and Dean wil go after a new coach after the season.
Maybe they would, like Muller. We are in a different conference, so that helps a lot. Outside of a cup final match-up, there's zero chnace this backfires on them.

kingsfan is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 10:16 PM
  #631
ZJames
Registered User
 
ZJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dont worry about it
Country: United States
Posts: 521
vCash: 500
I dont know how many times in the last few days ive checked the websites hoping that TM would be fired, all along knowing that there was no hope of him getting canned.

Im thinkin I need to step away from this team for a week or so and relax a little. Finals this week, then a nice 5 week break after the longest semester of school ive ever had.

Although I know that if I miss a few games, thats when the team will finally decide to play some actual hockey.

ZJames is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 11:12 PM
  #632
cheap77
Registered User
 
cheap77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,800
vCash: 500
The next best time to fire TM will be after the Toronto game. I believe it's a 3 day break. It would give the new coach time and then the next game will be at home.

cheap77 is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 12:40 AM
  #633
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,630
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Look at teams like Chicago..give up lots of goals...score lots of goals. Top of the conference. Minny. They have less talented and gifted forwards then we do...and they have 79 goals for and 64 against.
I don't see the Wild keeping up on the pace their on for the whole season.


Whoever said Tony Granato...good god no.

GKJ is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 01:10 AM
  #634
I Am Ziggy Palffy
Registered User
 
I Am Ziggy Palffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 2,117
vCash: 500
With this talk being so open, I wouldn't be surprised if TM gets fired first thing tomorrow, and Stevens takes over as tentative coach for the road trip. If the decision is already made, no point in keeping TM around as a lame duck just to keep a seat warm until they find the replacement.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 01:28 AM
  #635
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!
 
Tonellisghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: twillingate NFLD
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,740
vCash: 500
So we missed out on Tippet by hiring TM.

Should we let Stevens have the rest of the season while we find a perfect candidate?

Bob B might be available this offseason and he would be an ideal fit (among others eh?).

I am as much as I hate to spew this filth our of my feted pie muncher willing to give Stevens the rest of THIS season as a place holder if it means we get out absolute best option at coach rather then picking up a placeholder with a different name for a longer period of time.

Tonellisghost is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
  #636
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,630
vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
With this talk being so open, I wouldn't be surprised if TM gets fired first thing tomorrow, and Stevens takes over as tentative coach for the road trip. If the decision is already made, no point in keeping TM around as a lame duck just to keep a seat warm until they find the replacement.
The key was not letting it out. People knew Carlyle was on the hot seat, but it was obvious they were waiting for Bruce Boudreau to be fired before doing it.

GKJ is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 10:07 AM
  #637
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
So we missed out on Tippet by hiring TM.

Should we let Stevens have the rest of the season while we find a perfect candidate?

Bob B might be available this offseason and he would be an ideal fit (among others eh?).

I am as much as I hate to spew this filth our of my feted pie muncher willing to give Stevens the rest of THIS season as a place holder if it means we get out absolute best option at coach rather then picking up a placeholder with a different name for a longer period of time.
agree with you TG that stevens will likely be the answer at this point. some type of change needs to happen and i would rather DL take time on this and get the right guy for the long-term, rather than a new guy.

hell who knows perhaps Stevens has learned something and sees that his next chance will require a change in coaching strategy than his last. test drive him and see how he handles. if he seems to be working then give him a 1 or 2 year contract as HC. in any event something needs to be done, this team is lost and it needs a new leader.

Whiskeypete is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 10:21 AM
  #638
deeshamrock
Registered User
 
deeshamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
I hope they're not pegging Stevens. They should just leave him doing what he's doing with the defensemen. Although when Stevens took over the Flyers, his plan was to open up the offense.

Quote:
perhaps Stevens has learned something and sees that his next chance will require a change in coaching strategy than his last. test drive him and see how he handles. if he seems to be working then give him a 1 or 2 year contract as HC. in any event something needs to be done, this team is lost and it needs a new leader.

Having watched both Murray and Stevens with the Flyers, I totally preferred Stevens and Richards was made Captain at the start of the 2008-09 season and he and the team did well under Stevens, they worked well together.
I think Stevens learned some valuable lessons during his tenure (and I believe he was fired too soon, the team didn't fare any better unde Lavvy and barely made the playoffs on a shootout)
He had a lot of very young players who perhaps needed more discipline at times when he allowed them free reignt. He also didn't have the goaltender that would giveyou a chance.

He'd be fine as an interim coach, during this road trip or beyond if DL is interviewing. I like Granato too as well as some of the others listed . They need somebody with intensity and motivation.
I still think they need a couple trades , a solid top 6 winger for Kopi and something better on the third line.

deeshamrock is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 10:36 AM
  #639
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!
 
TwoForRoughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
Having watched both Murray and Stevens with the Flyers, I totally preferred Stevens and Richards was made Captain at the start of the 2008-09 season and he and the team did well under Stevens, they worked well together.
I think Stevens learned some valuable lessons during his tenure (and I believe he was fired too soon, the team didn't fare any better unde Lavvy and barely made the playoffs on a shootout)
He had a lot of very young players who perhaps needed more discipline at times when he allowed them free reignt. He also didn't have the goaltender that would giveyou a chance.

He'd be fine as an interim coach, during this road trip or beyond if DL is interviewing. I like Granato too as well as some of the others listed . They need somebody with intensity and motivation.
I still think they need a couple trades , a solid top 6 winger for Kopi and something better on the third line.
I took you seriously until right about here.

TwoForRoughing is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 04:39 PM
  #640
KingNothing4
Registered User
 
KingNothing4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Basement of Staples
Country: United States
Posts: 850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
I took you seriously until right about here.
I believe he meant trade for a winger to play with Kopi, not trade Kopi for a winger.

KingNothing4 is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 04:50 PM
  #641
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,659
vCash: 1888
Okay, no need for this now.

Live in the Now is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.