HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto Quietly leading Team in +/- (among the league leaders)

Old
12-12-2011, 08:02 AM
68Forever

vCash: 500
Del Zotto Quietly leading Team in +/- (among the league leaders)

He is finally growing into his game and is comfortable playing in NYC and looks great out there every night

68Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Yet he still gets no respect from some people.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:16 AM
68Forever

Has been a real catalyst in helping the NYR start games scoring, assisting on the first goal Saturday and Sunday

68Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I don't put too much stock into +/-, but Del Zotto's is no coincidence. He has been very good out there. It's impressive how far he has come defensively in such a short period of time. If the guy keeps working, he's going to be an excellent defenseman for the team for a long, long time.

He's been much better with his passing as well. He no longer attempts long, ice-length passes from his own end every shift. He still makes them, but he's doing a much better job choosing his spots. Still needs to work on hitting the net more frequently. Nothing more frustrating than when he's at the left point and fires a slapper high and wide on the glove side and the pucks wraps around the boards and back out of the zone.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Scooter17

now he just has to start hitting the net when he shoots instead of wrapping the puck around the boards and giving the other team a free break out

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:35 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't put too much stock into +/-, but Del Zotto's is no coincidence. He has been very good out there. It's impressive how far he has come defensively in such a short period of time. If the guy keeps working, he's going to be an excellent defenseman for the team for a long, long time.

He's been much better with his passing as well. He no longer attempts long, ice-length passes from his own end every shift. He still makes them, but he's doing a much better job choosing his spots. Still needs to work on hitting the net more frequently. Nothing more frustrating than when he's at the left point and fires a slapper high and wide on the glove side and the pucks wraps around the boards and back out of the zone.
Pretty much the only major negative you can point to in his game right now.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Levitate

Still has stuff he could work on to be sure (his pivoting and keeping guys to the outside when they go wide with speed is kind of weak) but he's been good. On pace for a career total in points, doing well on the +/- and overall defensive side of things, it's really huge that he stepped up this season

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:43 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Yet he still gets no respect from some people.
Seriously. People wanted to write him off last year after having the sophomore slump. The kid is... well a kid, he is young and still learning. The tools are there, just have to learn how to organize them and place them properly in the toolbox.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:45 AM
NYR Viper

He just needs to keep his game simple and let the game come to him. He has been doing that. Last season he wanted to do everything all at once.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

He's gotten a lot better. Much more physical, smart decisions, quick passing.

With that being said, HIT THE ****ING NET!

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:06 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
it's funny cause defense has been his strong point this season. his weakness so far has been at the point on the pp, not just his wide shots that end up coming out the zone, but actually creating something from the point. he telegraphs his passes, is too predictable, is too hesitant to shoot when shooting is the right option. he needs to have more confidence in his shot, be more decisive in creating from the point.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Our team is functioning as a 5 man unit all the time. Forwards are contributing to the defensive effort big time, which is one of the reasons why our GAA is so low despite missing Staal and Sauer for many games.

Our Dmen are contributing to the offense the most they have since I can remember. Right now we're looking at 3 dmen with 35-45 points.

12-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

vCash: 420
I remember him distinctly hitting the net twice yesterday, and everyone went crazy

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:15 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
I remember him distinctly hitting the net twice yesterday, and everyone went crazy
And to be fair, there was one time on the powerplay last night where there was a forward directly in front of the crease and IMO he was trying to hit his stick for a tap-in.

But, yes, when he's actually shooting on net, he needs to actually hit the net.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

He's been very good so far this season.

If he starts hitting the net with his shot more he will be such a huge asset for us.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Greg02

He's reincorporating those gorgeous stretch passes into his game that we saw his rookie season, and it's working right now. What's important, though, is that he doesn't try to overdo it like he did last season.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:37 AM
blue425

I am so happy to be eating crow on this one.

He has his confidence back and it shows.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Even more impressive about his +16 is that 8 or 9 of his games he played alongside Tim Erixon and he's also played a handful of games with Eminger....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
He's reincorporating those gorgeous stretch passes into his game that we saw his rookie season, and it's working right now. What's important, though, is that he doesn't try to overdo it like he did last season.
Thats a good observation, and I think its a prime example of why he is getting better. When Del Zotto bursted onto the scene, he mezmorized everybody with his flashy offensive upside. It masked the fact that he was a disaster in his own zone for his first 40 games or so. In my opinion, thats not the proper way an offensive defenseman needs to develop.

They need to learn how to take care of business in their own end at the NHL level first and foremost - then the inherant offensive skill will come. I think thats what we're seeing now with MDZ. Once he lost confidence in his ability to get it done defensively in the NHL, the rest of his game took a nosedive too.

He's had an interesting career path so far, and far too many people seem to forget how young he still is because hes been around for a while

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Its kind of hard to hit the net from the blueline when the opposing players have their sticks in the shooting lanes and nearly every shot is blocked or deflected into the net. The puck rarely gets to the net for defection or a rebound opportunity for a Ranger player. I have a Ranger calendar on my wall. MDZ is the player for December. He was born 6/24/90. Still just 21 years old.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
mullichicken25

unfortunately he's got the Rosi bullzeye on his back and no turnover will ever go unnocticed by this fan base

But Del Zotto has been nothing short of lights out this season

the turnaround from last year is remarkable and he continues to play better as his icetime goes up

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
ThirdEye

Still kind of raw, but a massive improvement on last season. Good for him

I wish he was way more decisive on the PP, but that will come with time

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

In MDZ's defense, his 17 missed shots are not even in the top 50 amongst league dmen. Byfuglien, Yandle, Bogosian, and Karlsson each have more than twice as many.

The Rangers are rather good at not missing points shots.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:01 AM
PavelBure9

Whats crazy though about MDZ is that he has more points already then he did the entire season last year all while playing good defense

PavelBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:03 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Its kind of hard to hit the net from the blueline when the opposing players have their sticks in the shooting lanes and nearly every shot is blocked or deflected into the net. The puck rarely gets to the net for defection or a rebound opportunity for a Ranger player. I have a Ranger calendar on my wall. MDZ is the player for December. He was born 6/24/90. Still just 21 years old.
That's fine though, let the shot get blocked or deflected. When he rips those shots wide from the point, it's an automatic clear each time. And it's not even exclusive to when there's traffic in front of the net--even when he has a lane he frequently misses. IMO, he's just trying to be too fine with his shots. He's aiming rather than just shooting. He has good velocity on his slappers, he just needs to get them on the cage. Hell, try to hit the goalie in the chest even.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote