HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Terry Murray Fired

Old
12-12-2011, 05:26 AM
SuperAlmeida

vCash: 500
The article says that they will use some time to find the right person for the job. I think they will call in two, three or four candidates for interviews (or over phone). Then Dean Lombardi will hear what each candidate can offer and what they will do with the system. Then he will choose the one that says: "The defense first ... We have to build around it". Meanwhile, John Stevens operates as a temporary coach.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:46 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Terry Murray Likely To Take Fall Soon For LA Kings Failures, No Matter Whose Fault Is

Terry Murray Likely To Take Fall Soon For LA Kings' Failures, No Matter Whose Fault It Is

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:59 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
The only thing in there beyond just pure speculation is "People familiar with the situation but not authorized to comment publicly" ...

Interesting. Who could that be?
It's true, there isn't a whole lot of substance there. It more reflects the opinions of Kings fans on the internet.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
I'm wondering if Hammond will mention all these reports/rumors.
Probably he won't.

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
thelos
Bunk

Whatever you do, do not let Stevens take over.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Face Wash

Look, this article as a motivational tactic won't change anything. There are certain guys on this team that haven't bought in and TM can't reach them. Leaking this info isn't going to be the reason the Kings start reaching expectation and thus saving the coach's job.

In fact leaks like this are indicative of why this organization doesn't have a winning environment. To me, this either came from DL (which I'm now doubting) or it came from TL (which I'm believing). At this point if you're looking to make a trade, you give your coach a vote of confidence while you're making calls... If you're going to fire the coach, just fire him and move on. This leak BS only serves to bring the hornet's nest closer to the team where it doesn't belong.

Whoever leaked this to Helene and Lisa is clearly not an effective leader. Good Leaders don't make overall statements like this in the attempt to motivate 23 guys and coaches to improve. External motivation is NOT a team sport. It's an individual thing because different people/players are motivated by different things in different ways. Some people need a pat on the back (positive reinforcement), some people need a night in the press box (sending a nonverbal message), some people need to be chewed out on the practice ice (discipline). It depends on the player.

If you're going to fire the guy, just do it...don't leak this BS out. It's a detriment!

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:08 AM
SuperAlmeida

Rich Hammond:
Quote:
Having arrived in Boston yesterday, the Kings will practice at TD North Garden today at 12:30 p.m. local time. As of now, there is zero indication that any coaching change is on the horizon today, but no doubt that will remain a topic of conversation, reports and rumors as long as the Kings struggle. Per road-trip plan, Dean Lombardi and Ron Hextall are to arrive later today.

Hammond

Old
12-12-2011, 09:10 AM
SuperAlmeida

Here is a list of candidates from MayorsManor:
Quote:
If Murray goes, list of possible replacements for LA Kings
When a tweet appears from a Hall of Fame hockey writer saying 'Kings may be preparing to fire Terry Murray as coach,' you click the link.

And according to a report filed with the LA Times by Helene Elliott and Lisa Dillman here late last night, that may be the course of action in progress at the moment.

Murray's Kings are one game above .500 and have lost four games in a row.

They're in Boston today, preparing for tomorrow night's game with the defending Stanley Cup Champion Bruins. Currently, it's not known if Murray will be behind the bench for that match-up.

If a move is made this week though, here's a quick look at some of the names that may replace him - starting with five known commodities (NHL and AHL coaches), followed by the five leading candidates from junior hockey and wrapping up with five candidates you may hear about - but aren't likely to get the gig.

NHL and AHL Coaches:

John Stevens - LA Kings assistant coach - he may be the short-term solution while a replacement is secured...however, he isn't considered to be a finalist for the job...Stevens is said to coach the same (or very similar) system to Murray and his results while leading the Flyers were mixed

Randy Carlyle - former Anaheim Ducks coach - he's available, due to recently being fired from the Kings Pacific Division rival...supposedly, his players tuned him out a long time ago and he is thought to be extremely hard on players (which may not be such a bad thing for the Kings right now)...his familiarity with the division could be a plus, but according to the Times' article, the 'Kings are not thought to be interested in Carlyle'

Craig MacTavish - another former NHL head coach (Edmonton), he's now coaching Chicago's AHL team...if there is one other team the Kings are most often linked to besides the Flyers, it's the Oilers...so, Mac T has that going for him...he knows several of the current Kings from their days in Edmonton...also another coach thought to be extremely hard on his players and not well liked

Mark Morris - head coach for the Kings minor league affiliate in the AHL, the Manchester Monarchs - you would think if a move was going to be made to Morris it would have happened already...sure he knows many of the Kings from being heavily involved in training camps held in LA...however, Morris hasn't had any real success in Manchester either...highly, highly doubt he's the guy

Tony Granato - assistant coach Pittsburgh Penguins - he took over the head coaching job in Colorado at a time when he admits he wasn't ready...he's since spent more time learning to be a coach and has been Dan Bylsma's right hand man in Pittsburgh the last few seasons...Granato was an intense player, who wanted to win, and could possibly instill a killer instinct in a Kings team that has looked lifeless at times...there is no word on how the Penguins would respond if asked for permission to speak with Granato

Junior Coaches:

Dale Hawerchuk - head coach Barrie Colts (OHL) - should be heavily considered among the final candidates...is a former first round pick at the NHL Draft, won the Calder Trophy as the top rookie, scored over 500 goals and 1,400 points in 1,188 regular season games in the NHL...was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2001...was considered a high-character guy during his playing days...oh yeah, he played for the Flyers for two seasons (which some people will assume instantly pushes him to the top of the list)...one of his assistants in Barrie is former Kings defenseman Jay Wells

Gerard Gallant - St. John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) - while it might be more common for NHL coaches to come from the OHL or WHL, you can't discount his credentials and Gallant should be considered a major player, like Hawerchuk...Gallant's team won the Memorial Cup last season, making him more than worthy of being part of the conversation...he also was named the 2009-10 and 2010-11 CHL Coach of the Year...his squads have consistently been one of the top scoring teams during the regular season (which could benefit a Kings team desperate for goals)...he has prior NHL coaching experience, as both a head coach (Columbus) and assistant coach (Columbus and New York Islanders)

Lorne Molleken - head coach Saskatoon Blades (WHL) - served as an assistant under Darryl Sutter in San Jose (NHL), so there is familiarity with Kings GM Dean Lombardi...Molleken has had success recently in the WHL with the Blades, guiding them to the league's best record last season...he also had head coach and assistant coaching roles with the Chicago Blackhawks, under Bob Pulford (Lombardi's father-in-law)

Chris Byrne - head coach Ottawa 67's (OHL) - the Kings have ties to the 67's and Byrne studied under Hall of Fame coach (and former Kings forward) Brian Kilrea...he hasn't had any major success in Ottawa yet, so he hasn't risen to the status of 'hot coach to watch' on most lists...he also never played in the NHL, not that it's a must though...according to his bio published by the 67's, Byrne's players 'must be committed to skill development and conditioning to reach a higher level of performance' and he stresses that 'players are accountable to each other, the organization and the fans'...probably a long shot compared to the three listed above

Joel Otto - assistant coach Calgary Hitmen (WHL) - played 14 seasons in the NHL, including three with the Philadelphia Flyers...known as a great two-way center...won the Stanley Cup with the Calgary Flames in 1989...would be a surprise hire at this point

Five Probably Nots:

Dave Cameron - coached Team Canada and the Mississauga St. Michaels Majors (OHL)...now an assistant coach with the Ottawa Senators

Bob Boughner - highly doubtful at this point...he had success with Windsor OHL), then went to Columbus (NHL), only to quickly returned to junior hockey...has a good thing going there, doubt he leaves again so soon

Wayne Gretzky - his name will probably be surfaced by some fans...however, according to an interview with Luc Robitaille here on MayorsManor over the summer, Gretzky is still involved legally with the Phoenix Coyotes...that situation would need to be cleared up first (and that's probably not happening any time soon)...plus, the Great One hasn't been out there publicly declaring that he's in a hurry to return to coaching

Mark Hardy - Ontario Reign (ECHL) - timing is everything in life...the Kings missed out on hiring former assistant Dave Tippett a few years ago, due to bad timing...here, the timing just isn't right...Hardy returned to hockey (in the ECHL) this season, where he's serving as an assistant coach...he may somebody make his way back to the NHL, and there are many pulling for him, but the timing isn't right at the moment

Pat Conacher - Regina Pats (WHL) - he played for the Kings from 1992-1996 and was thought to be a player who gave it his all every shift, every night...he's received much praise for the work he's doing in Regina this season too...however, he just became the head coach there this year and probably needs more seasoning before an NHL team is ready to give him a chance as a head coach...now, if it's an assistant job, that could be a different story...he spent three years as an assistant in Phoenix

Stay tuned, the Kings coaching situation could be a fast moving story this week. Interviews with some of the names mentioned above are linked below for your reference.
Link

Old
12-12-2011, 09:18 AM
BigBrown
They did it!

While I don't think Murray is solely responsible for the lack of results and scoring, much of the blame falls on the players and there's definitely a part that's on management, I do think it's time to start something new. Being last place in scoring is unacceptable.

While they're at it, get a new leadership group of players too. I'm not sure who should get the C, the obvious choice would be Richards but he didn't seem to respond well to the responsibility in Philly. Maybe Scuderi, he's always seems to be saying the right things in interviews.

Overall I'm still appreciative of what Murray has done for this club, I don't share the venom most fans seem to have towards him, and so should everyone able to remember the Crawford years be.

But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, lets wait until he's officially fired.

BigBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
Here is a list of candidates from MayorsManor:

Link
Eh, some solid candidates not on that list, hopefully DL wouldnt only look into those guys like Mayor would

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Other than Toronto where the media tried to push Ron Wilson out and couldn't do it, you don't leak a coaching change unless it's going to happen.

Whoever they bring in shouldn't be an unknown commodity. Terry Murray has served his purpose in one respect, and that's getting the team to a point where they should have higher expectations for themselves. The next guy should be the closer, the guy who you expect to win the Stanley Cup.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Other than Toronto where the media tried to push Ron Wilson out and couldn't do it, you don't leak a coaching change unless it's going to happen.

Whoever they bring in shouldn't be an unknown commodity. Terry Murray has served his purpose in one respect, and that's getting the team to a point where they should have higher expectations for themselves. The next guy should be the closer, the guy who you expect to win the Stanley Cup.
As I've said a hundred times... Terry Murray is Del Harris...mild mannered guy with Finals experience and good X's & O's teacher who got a young Lakers team to understand playing the professional game. The Kings need to Hire their Phil Jackson now which basically means Scotty Bowman (not happening). This is going to be a tough choice I believe.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:30 AM
SuperAlmeida

The article from LA Times is mentioned on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=605998

Old
12-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Look, this article as a motivational tactic won't change anything. There are certain guys on this team that haven't bought in and TM can't reach them. Leaking this info isn't going to be the reason the Kings start reaching expectation and thus saving the coach's job.

In fact leaks like this are indicative of why this organization doesn't have a winning environment. To me, this either came from DL (which I'm now doubting) or it came from TL (which I'm believing). At this point if you're looking to make a trade, you give your coach a vote of confidence while you're making calls... If you're going to fire the coach, just fire him and move on. This leak BS only serves to bring the hornet's nest closer to the team where it doesn't belong.

Whoever leaked this to Helene and Lisa is clearly not an effective leader. Good Leaders don't make overall statements like this in the attempt to motivate 23 guys and coaches to improve. External motivation is NOT a team sport. It's an individual thing because different people/players are motivated by different things in different ways. Some people need a pat on the back (positive reinforcement), some people need a night in the press box (sending a nonverbal message), some people need to be chewed out on the practice ice (discipline). It depends on the player.

If you're going to fire the guy, just do it...don't leak this BS out. It's a detriment!
Great post my friend

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:41 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
Mark Morris deserves to be the coach of the Kings.
I'd be fine with that, as long as it was agreed he had until the end of the season to earn the job permanently or we look elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
lolwut? How so? It would make sense if most of our players had come through the system or had been coached by him for years, but that's not the case.

Martinez, Voynov, Bernier, Quick, Westgarth, Lewis are really the only guys that had been coached by Morris for a long period of time. Was Morris the head coach of Manchester when Brown was playing there?
Morris is 236-151-47 as Head Coach in Manchester and has taken his club to the third round twice in five years. This year he is 16-10-2 with a team that has lost guys like Hollway and Mollar while Voynov and Loktionov have spent a good amount of time on the NHL roster, leaving him with Jordan Nolan and Marc-Andre Cliche as his top two scoring forwards. If anyone can get goals out of this line up, maybe it's Morris.

He has also coached Lewis, Westgarth, Parse, Quick, Bernier, Drewiske, Voynov, Martinez, Richardson, Loktionov and Clifford, even if some of those were only for a handful of games. It provides some level of familiarity with current Kings players, what other coaching candidate can claim to have coached at least half of the current Kings line up, outside of Stevens I guess.

Morris isn't necessarily the right guy, I don't know, but if he was promoted it certainly wouldn't be the worst decision IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak331 View Post
I wonder if he knows, or not. If he's in Boston chances are he hasn't heard about the story, since it leaked around 3am back there. Has he already been told he's being let go? Did he even go to Boston? So many questions....
He knows. The media word spreads like wildfire. When I worked at a small town newspaper in northern Canada, news articles would reach politicians in Ottawa before it'd even be widely circulated in the actual community I worked in. I'd get phone calls within an hour of it hitting the shelves. Someone in LA is paid to watch the media and called DL immediately after seeing this article. All of the media, from the Times to the prominent online blogs, are followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
What about Gerard Gallant???
He looked as stunned as TM and IIRC the Columbus players tuned him out quickly as a head coach. Pass.

Mehh, another so-so article Frozen. I appreciate your work, but you put to much of your own opinion into your articles.

"After all, the Kings are not getting blown out of games, and their defense and goaltending have been sound, overall. To be sure, if the system was the problem, neither would be the case."

Says who? Not one quote in there backs this up. Just because we aren't getting blown out night in and night out doesn't mean we don't have a failing system. Everyone agrees TM's system is very sound defensively, and we have a goalie who is putting up nearly record numbers for goals against average and save percentage. How would we be getting blown out? We are still losing a lot more than we are winning though, that's a very good indicator our system isn't working.

The real tell-tale sign to me, and something once again you don't address or ask in your articles, is what is TM doing to address the flaws which you've shown are so obvious. Our gaps are to wide. And TM has done what about this? The scout you quoted said he's seen this, and it looks like it's been ongoing for a long time, likely months. Just because TM coaches it not to happen doesn't alleviate him of blame.

People like to use the teacher analogy when it comes to TM, so think of it like this. If a student refuses to do what the teahcer asks, does the teacher simply just keep asking the student to do that task? No. Eventually, the teacher does something, such as send the student out of the class, to the principal, suspension, extra work, Saturday school, whatever. What has TM done to control his forwards who are allowing the gaps to get to wide? What has TM done to force the defensemen to start putting the puck forward quicker? He's to busy trying to be their friend that he refuses to come down on anyone not named Lewis and Richardson. Why hasn't Drew been sat for taking a dumb penalty? Clifford should have been scratched for a game or two earlier this year as well. Williams has looked brutal at times. Penner wasn't even in the same time zone as the rest of his teammates last year. When does TM do anything about any of that? Never.

Are the players at fault for their lack of inspired play? Sure. But your article spins it to read like it's basically the players getting TM fired by how they are playing and that's not the case. TM has done little on the ice to change his teams direction and that's squarely on his shoulders and no one elses.

Last edited by kingsfan: 12-12-2011 at 09:49 AM.
kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:44 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post

I totally agree, leaking this to the press is bush league. However, so much of the article is really just speculation; it's not much more than a repost of what people on here have been saying. These "sources" that Elliot and Dillman mention could be anyone, and they're not saying anything that isn't totally obvious.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
I totally agree, leaking this to the press is bush league. However, so much of the article is really just speculation; it's not much more than a repost of what people on here have been saying. These "sources" that Elliot and Dillman mention could be anyone, and they're not saying anything that isn't totally obvious.

Helene isn't going to say it, just to say it. That's not what she does. She is a professional even if some of us don't like her.

And it doesn't matter how it was leaked. It should have been done awhile ago.

If Dean doesn't fire him soon, he is making a huge mistake.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:06 AM
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?

Well guys, do you think that if a fan base like us wants terry to be fired the Gm has no choice, i think its an unwritten fact isn't it? like almost every kings fan hates terry, and even if DL likes him its not good for the fan base, so he fires him? this is possible right?

KingKopitar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:10 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Well guys, do you think that if a fan base like us wants terry to be fired the Gm has no choice, i think its an unwritten fact isn't it? like almost every kings fan hates terry, and even if DL likes him its not good for the fan base, so he fires him? this is possible right?
No. Just because we hate him doesn't mean we won't keep coming. Unless ownership starts to see a loss of revenue, there won't be a push from within to get rid of him. The push will only come based off wins/losses, or if playoff revenue is risked. Our opinions don't matter as much as some think.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:13 AM
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
No. Just because we hate him doesn't mean we won't keep coming. Unless ownership starts to see a loss of revenue, there won't be a push from within to get rid of him. The push will only come based off wins/losses, or if playoff revenue is risked. Our opinions don't matter as much as some think.
Oh i guess so, just thought we might have a little budge.

KingKopitar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
The Judge

5 Possible Coaching Candidates: IF Murray gets FIRED

In Order:

1. Bill Peters - Detroit's Assistant Coach

2. Tony Granato - Penguins Assistant Coach

3. Gary Roberts

4. Jeff Blashill - Assistant Coach for the Red Wings

5. Dale Hawerchuck

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:22 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Helene isn't going to say it, just to say it. That's not what she does. She is a professional even if some of us don't like her.

I think you're right on all counts there. My point was rather that Elliot and Dillman are not saying anything that is not totally obvious, and so there really isn't a need for someone very high up in the organization to leak these things.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
In Order:

1. Bill Peters - Detroit's Assistant Coach

2. Tony Granato - Penguins Assistant Coach

3. Gary Roberts

4. Jeff Blashill - Assistant Coach for the Red Wings

5. Dale Hawerchuck
Where is Roberts now?

Old
12-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

I completely disagree with this article in both execution (based on its substance being only the opinion of the reporter) and the fact that it overlooks a few key suppositions to its own conclusions. Though again a very well written article.

The author states that it is their belief that our teams troubles boil down to execution which they believe is the sole responsibility of the players. But who comes up with the plan that they are supposedly responsible for poorly executing? In turn who is the more responsible party in the players being unable to properly execute said plan?

If TM isn't happy with the results then he has nobody but himself to blame. If he was into his second season and we had the same roster that we did back then I could understand the position of the author but it just isn't. We are in the fourth season of TM's tenure as the Kings head coach and if the core players that he has had around during the entirety of his time in L.A. are among the players not properly executing his plan then it is solely his fault.

Any new players who aren't performing up to expectations can fall into many different categories when it comes to explaining why they are where they are. Anything from sophomore slump to conditioning to not understanding a plan where they are NEVER given the opportunity to develop chemistry with their line mates etc.

The point that goes glaringly overlooked is that TM has had four years to develop and implement his system and while we may have made some key roster changes, the two most critical come from MR and SG. Both of these players have played under TM before and have experience with what his expectations were going to be.

TM simply isn't the coach to take us to the next level or we would easily be there by now. To put it in a word, results.

We have a deeply talented roster/system and TM has been unable to bring them to the next level during his time as our head coach. He gets a pass in my book for his first two years even though he is credited with implementing a system that my Bantaam coach used but there were many problems with our team last year that have carried on through to this season.

With the talent that he has been given this season and the fact that we haven't come close to moving forward as a team I think TM has nobody but his self to blame for his firing. All coaches face adversity, the great ones know how to use it to their advantage.

The rest are looking for an NHL coaching gig.

Tonellisghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post

Yea i am kind of on this side of it. Elliot wouldn't come out with something as inflammatory as the coach getting fired unless she was pretty damn certain it was going to happen.

I'll give her this credit...and i hate her..sooo....yea.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote