Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yeo/Koivu

Old
12-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

vCash: 500
I think the main thing Yeo and Koivu have in common is that if they both won back-to-back cups, they still wouldn't be satiated. Seems like Fletcher and co. have been drafting and acquiring players who feel the same way.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkid08 View Post
Nope people were criticizing him early in the season for playing the same level of hockey he is right now. He was overpassing in the Preseason but since game one he has been looking to shoot way more. The problem was that he wasn't scoring but now they are going in a bit more, although he still is doing that one timer on the PP that has failed to succeed. I have no idea what game fans were watching when they were calling for his captaincy because he was out there working his butt of every night just like he has every year here. Koivu does have a slow looking stride but when you realize just how much skating and work he does in the defensive zone while also getting in on the forecheck in the O zone, calling him slow is just plain wrong. Heatley is the guy on that line who has had the biggest struggles that are speed related. The lines main problem to start the year was that Koivu would have to be the one in the D zone to dig the puck out of the corner off a defender and he would be making the breakout pass instead of the defender, thus leaving him behind in the D zone while Heatley and Seto were moving into the O-zone without their best playmaking linemate. The biggest reason that line has been better lately IMO is that we now have that line playing with Scandella or Spurgeon instead of Zidlicky every time. The D have been able to make the breakout pass instead of Koivu and we are able to break through the neutral zone so much easier with Koivu to help out. Mikko has been awesome all year, guy never takes a night off and those calling Brodz the MVP have probably just become too accustomed to all that Koivu brings night in and out.
I'm gonna admit, I skimmed this post, but I'm mainly responding to the 1st and last sentences.

The first month of the season, Koivu was not playing at the level he is now. He was not working as hard, regardless of points. The simple fact is his game and/or effort has improved and he is now playing at the level we are accustomed to. He was not at the beginning of the season.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
I'm gonna admit, I skimmed this post, but I'm mainly responding to the 1st and last sentences.

The first month of the season, Koivu was not playing at the level he is now. He was not working as hard, regardless of points. The simple fact is his game and/or effort has improved and he is now playing at the level we are accustomed to. He was not at the beginning of the season.
Yeah being the kind of person that skims stuff I can see why you would have that opinion. If you watched the games throughout, Koivu was working just as hard during the start of the year if not harder as he was forced to do a lot more in the defensive end when we never had possession. If you wanted to argue that he didn't ever go into beast mode in the first few games like he did in Detroit and 1 or two other times this season then I can agree, but expecting that kind of play all year long is just not going to happen.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:21 PM
BagHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
I thought they only did that in southern US?
Son of a...

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagHead View Post
Son of a...
Sorry, I just couldn't resist

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:26 PM
pbunder

Quote:
Yeah being the kind of person that skims stuff I can see why you would have that opinion. If you watched the games throughout, Koivu was working just as hard during the start of the year if not harder as he was forced to do a lot more in the defensive end when we never had possession. If you wanted to argue that he didn't ever go into beast mode in the first few games like he did in Detroit and 1 or two other times this season then I can agree, but expecting that kind of play all year long is just not going to happen.
Your first post was a good explaination of what I was thinking. I think that the effort was there, just unfocused and unchanneled due to new system and linemates + tool d

pbunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:57 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Oh how embarrassing. . .

for some reason I've always thought Koivu was 30 when he's actually 28. Not quite an NHL.com caliber error but an error nonetheless.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Dudicles

Quote:
I skimmed because you wrote a wall of text, but whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Dudicles: 12-12-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Mumbler*

Quote:
I watched the games and dont' agree with your OPINION.

Mumbler* is offline   Reply With Quote