HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Pysyk and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc

Old
12-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Matty K

vCash: 500
Mark Pysyk and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc

I just have to say congrats to Mark and Jerome on being selected to take part in Team Canada's Selection Camp as they both have an opportunity to crack Canada's World Junior Squad.

I was watching TSN the other day and TSN were covering and discussing the upcoming World Junior Tournament and Bob McKenzie was projecting Team Canada's Roster. Bob McKenzie projected both Mark Pysyk and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc to Crack Canada's Top Six Defense Core(Bob McKenzie projected Pysyk to be Canada's Number Two Defensman and sounded like Mark was a lock to crack the Squad and Gauthier-Leduc to be Canada's Number Sixth Defenseman).

Stats this Season:

Mark Pysyk: Captain of the Edmonton Oil Kings: 25 Games Played, 2 Goals, 16 Assists, 18 Points, 47 PIM and a +6 Rating(+/-).

Jerome Gauthier Leduc: 30 Games Played, 18 Goals, 28 Assists, 46 Points, 27 PIM and a +12 Rating(+/-).

What I wanted to say was that it looks like the Sabres have themselves another pair of Defensemen for the future and as a Sabre Fan am excited for the future for Mark and Jerome and I must say that the Sabres have unreal Defensive Depth almost to a point where maybe Rochester won't even have enough room for everybody soon.(However, Defensive Depth is great to have)

Not to mention, it will be interesting how everything plays out in the future and which ones eventually crack the Sabres Backend. I also want to praise Darcy and the Scouting Staff on the Job they have done stocking the Cupboards when it comes to Defense. Not only, on the quantity of Defenseman we have in the Pipeline(because any GM can draft any Defenseman) but the quality of Defensemen the Sabres have in the Pipeline as many of them project to be Top Four Defensemen and not all of them being One Dimensional.

As Comparisons go, I have heard the Jordan Leopold Comparison on Mark Pysyk. However, I think if Mark can develop more Offense into his Game I can see Mark developing into a Brent Seabrook Mold of Defenseman. As per, Jerome Gauthier-Leduc I have heard a Kris Letang Comparison and I read somewhere on these Boards that one of his Coaches felt that he was better than Letang at his age.

What are your thoughts on Mark Pysyk and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc... Where do you see them fit within the Sabres Organizaion down the line... and who do you compare Mark Pysyk and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc to...

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:22 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty K View Post
As Comparisons go, I have heard the Jordan Leopold Comparison on Mark Pysyk. However, I think if Mark can develop more Offense into his Game I can see Mark developing into a Brent Seabrook Mold of Defenseman. As per, Jerome Gauthier-Leduc I have heard a Kris Letang Comparison and I read somewhere on these Boards that one of his Coaches felt that he was better than Letang at his age.

What are your thoughts on Mark Pysyk and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc... Where do you see them fit within the Sabres Organizaion down the line... and who do you compare Mark Pysyk and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc to...
After being burned in the past for lacking defensive depth, Darcy has ensured that won't happen again. Overcompensation?

What I love about these two is that they are also RHD. With Myers and Ehrhoff signed long term, there is only spot currently up for grabs on the right side. They'll likely give Pysyk some time in Rochester and Gauthier-Leduc may take longer then him, so we have time.

I won't pretend to know a good comparison from outside the organization. From within I would say, I expect him to become a solid defensive player(potentially better) and minute eater the way Leopold and Ehrhoff have been this season, without the offensive potential.

Gauthier-Leduc I think will get comparison's early to Gragnani from his offensive prowess. Hopefully he'll take less time to develop and will be much better defensively (and offensively I guess too). McNabb, Sekera and Gragnani were all great offensively in Junior. If he could produce at Letang's level in the NHL I would be very happy.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Mergus merganser

Just looking at QMJHL stats..... WOW.

JGL has a 16 point cushion on the next highest scoring defenseman below him! And he has played 4 fewer games than the next closest defenseman.

He is on pace for right around 100 points. I know it is the QMJHL and scoring is insanely high, but that is still impressive for a defenseman.

Hell, just for comparisons sake, Jonathan Huberdeau was the 3rd overall pick in the draft last year and he only scored 105 points as a forward.

Hopefully he keeps it up. He is exactly what this team needs, an offensive defenseman!

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:58 AM
SoFFacet

Our wealth of defensive prospects frequently gets mentioned in trade HF speculation, but honestly I think they should hold them all for the foreseeable future. Our supposedly awesome D-corps (remember all those "best D in the league?" posts?), has turned out to be a huge weakness of this team, and the only two players that have reliably played well are the two older guys, Robyn and Leo.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:09 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
Just looking at QMJHL stats..... WOW.

JGL has a 16 point cushion on the next highest scoring defenseman below him! And he has played 4 fewer games than the next closest defenseman.

He is on pace for right around 100 points. I know it is the QMJHL and scoring is insanely high, but that is still impressive for a defenseman.

Hell, just for comparisons sake, Jonathan Huberdeau was the 3rd overall pick in the draft last year and he only scored 105 points as a forward.

Hopefully he keeps it up. He is exactly what this team needs, an offensive defenseman!
Maybe that was the case in 2005, but that was half a decade ago.
Scoring in the three CHL leagues is relatively equal and the totals are within a tenth of a goal of each other.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
I've thrown together a quick list of some of the more recent NHL debutantes from the QMJHL, and for arguments sake, included the stat line from their best years, so take it FWIW, and continue to hope for the best in JGL's development. In thirty less games, JGL already has surpassed the career highs (in goals) of Gragnani and Brennan. It would be awesome if JGL could help lead Rimouski to a championship en route to winning the league's Emile Bouchard Trophy (Best D) and Telus Trophy (D), ala Keith Yandle, but he doesn't exactly have Brad Marchand and Andrew MacDonald as teammates nor Ted Nolan behind the bench.
  • J.Gauthier-Leduc (Q10-11) 61GP 18G 38A 56P 26PIM 1-
  • J.Gauthier-Leduc (Q11-12) 31GP 18G 29A 47P 27PIM 9+
  • K.Letang (PIT 06) 60GP 25G 43A 68P 156PIM 4+
  • M.Vlasic (SJS 06) 66GP 16G 57A 73P 57PIM 41+
  • K.Yandle (PHX 07) 66GP 25G 59A 84P 109PIM 50+
  • M.Gragnani (BUF 08) 62GP 16G 55A 71P 75PIM 23-
  • O.Bartulis (PHI 09) 55GP 13G 35A 48P 52PIM 20+
  • D.Kulikov (FLA 09) 57GP 12G 50A 62P 46PIM 34+
  • A.MacDonald (NYI 09) 65GP 14G 44A 58P 81PIM 5+
  • M.Bourdon (PHI 11) 69GP 12G 47A 59P 114PIM 39+
  • T.Brennan (BUF 11) 65GP 16G 25A 41P 92PIM 15-
  • S.Despres (PIT 11) 47GP 13G 28A 41P 54PIM 29+
  • K.Marshall (PHI 11) 61GP 9G 29A 38P 125PIM 23+
  • D.Savard (CBJ 11) 64GP 13G 64A 77P 36PIM 32+

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Looks like JGL cooled off considerably since his historic tear to open the season. Here's hoping they both make the cuts come the time, I think they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Our wealth of defensive prospects frequently gets mentioned in trade HF speculation, but honestly I think they should hold them all for the foreseeable future. Our supposedly awesome D-corps (remember all those "best D in the league?" posts?), has turned out to be a huge weakness of this team, and the only two players that have reliably played well are the two older guys, Robyn and Leo.
I think Rej has been as good over the course of the season as any defenseman not named Robyn Regehr. I agree with your point, though. I'm open to trading some D prospects if the right deal is there but they shouldn't feel like they need to be actively shopping them just yet. The future is clouded as to which guys should be the keepers, and that applies to the NHL, AHL, and amateur levels of the Sabres system.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:21 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Complain all you want about Regier, but damn can the Sabres draft well. It seems like their 1st-3rd round picks always crack the NHL, even if just for a short time. It really is an impressive track record.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Zagrapan and Persson

But seriously, we are a pretty good draft team and that is only going to get better under Pegula. You know, since we can actually afford to send scouts to Europe rather then watching tape on them.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:52 PM
HiddenInLight

Id like to see the %s of players that regier has drafted that played in the nhl.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:02 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
Complain all you want about Regier, but damn can the Sabres draft well. It seems like their 1st-3rd round picks always crack the NHL, even if just for a short time. It really is an impressive track record.
Well, scouts do a lot of the work.
It's also a mentality; since we were basically a farm team for all of the other NHL teams for awhile, we had to make the safe pick so that we'd have a young player to replace an older player that we were surely going to lose to free agency.

Old
12-10-2011, 02:42 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Id like to see the %s of players that regier has drafted that played in the nhl.
Supposedly the Sabres have the most drafted players playing in the NHL right now.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Supposedly the Sabres have the most drafted players playing in the NHL right now.
On my count, 49 of the 107 players (45.8%) the Sabres drafted from 1997 to 2008 have played at least one NHL game. I wonder how that compares across the league?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 03:44 PM
kcoxsabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
On my count, 49 of the 107 players (45.8%) the Sabres drafted from 1997 to 2008 have played at least one NHL game. I wonder how that compares across the league?
This is for "Career Players" which the guy who wrote this article defined as players who played more than 200 games. So, its entirely different than the % of players playing in at least 1 game, but its interesting to compare.

Quote:
Success rate of first-round draft picks

Of the 494 career players drafted in the 1990s, 160 were selected in the first round.
Of those 160 career players, over half have played more than 500 NHL games.
Among the older players (those drafted from 1990 to 1994), six first-round picks have made it to 1,000 games. Another couple of dozen are still active and within reach of 1,000.
Based on the 1990s sample, a first-round draft pick has a 63 percent chance of being a career player.

Results can vary widely from year to year:
The 1993 NHL Draft produced 22 career players from 26 first-round picks.
In 1999, less than half of the first-round selections went on to become career players (12 out of 28).

Beyond the first round.

This is where the NHL dream begins to fade in a hurry:
From 1990 to 1999, about one-quarter of the players selected in the second round turned into NHL career players.

Those drafted in the third round and beyond are really up against it.
From over 2,000 players selected in the third round and beyond during 1990s, just 261 made it as NHL career players. That's about 12 percent.
From http://proicehockey.about.com/od/pro...ft_success.htm

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Ness
@KetchTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty K View Post
I just have to say congrats to Mark and Jerome on being selected to take part in Team Canada's Selection Camp as they both have an opportunity to crack Canada's World Junior Squad.

I was watching TSN the other day and TSN were covering and discussing the upcoming World Junior Tournament and Bob McKenzie was projecting Team Canada's Roster. Bob McKenzie projected both Mark Pysyk and Jerome Gauthier-Leduc to Crack Canada's Top Six Defense Core(Bob McKenzie projected Pysyk to be Canada's Number Two Defensman and sounded like Mark was a lock to crack the Squad and Gauthier-Leduc to be Canada's Number Sixth Defenseman).

Stats this Season:

Mark Pysyk: Captain of the Edmonton Oil Kings: 25 Games Played, 2 Goals, 16 Assists, 18 Points, 47 PIM and a +6 Rating(+/-).

Jerome Gauthier Leduc: 30 Games Played, 18 Goals, 28 Assists, 46 Points, 27 PIM and a +12 Rating(+/-).

What I wanted to say was that it looks like the Sabres have themselves another pair of Defensemen for the future and as a Sabre Fan am excited for the future for Mark and Jerome and I must say that the Sabres have unreal Defensive Depth almost to a point where maybe Rochester won't even have enough room for everybody soon.(However, Defensive Depth is great to have)

Not to mention, it will be interesting how everything plays out in the future and which ones eventually crack the Sabres Backend. I also want to praise Darcy and the Scouting Staff on the Job they have done stocking the Cupboards when it comes to Defense. Not only, on the quantity of Defenseman we have in the Pipeline(because any GM can draft any Defenseman) but the quality of Defensemen the Sabres have in the Pipeline as many of them project to be Top Four Defensemen and not all of them being One Dimensional.

Say WHAT? That's crazy.....I had no idea JGL was this good of a prospect, I haven't been keeping tabs on him. Nice.

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:43 PM
gallagt01

Are either of these guys particularly physical? Pysyk has 47 PIMS...throwing hands? I remember reading he's a more passive player.

JGL is intriguing but I was intrigued by Grags at one point too.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Monk View Post
Say WHAT? That's crazy.....I had no idea JGL was this good of a prospect, I haven't been keeping tabs on him. Nice.
That was the commentary at the time JGL was drafted, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Are either of these guys particularly physical? Pysyk has 47 PIMS...throwing hands? I remember reading he's a more passive player.

JGL is intriguing but I was intrigued by Grags at one point too.
Mark only has one fight this season, back in October against the Warriors Jordan Wyton, but he's had a number of aggressive penalties with a handful of roughing calls, a couple crosschecks/boardings/slashings. He's shaking a little of the shrinking violet thing.

Please don't lump Gauthier-Leduc in with Gragnani. The two have nothing to do with one another.

12-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
So did anyone catch the Red-v-White game last night? Perusing the WJC Team Canada thread and a few mention JGL as having a good game.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:25 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
So did anyone catch the Red-v-White game last night? Perusing the WJC Team Canada thread and a few mention JGL as having a good game.
He had the primary assist on the winning goal.
It was a slapper from the blueline that was saved by Domingue (he actually hit the net, so he'd be useful on the big team) and Christian Thomas potted the rebound.
Overall, he played a good game (miles better than the summer camp).
No bad pinches or reads really and was skating well.
He did get caught on the wrong side of the puck once coming out of the corner, but it wasn't anything big, it just stuck in my mind for some reason.

Pysyk was good too.
He skated really well and showed his ability to separate himself.
Was also very quick and decisive in his reads and made a few beautiful outlet passes.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:25 AM
gallagt01

Quote:

Please don't lump Gauthier-Leduc in with Gragnani. The two have nothing to do with one another.
From what I read in his draft year, it seems as though the two are similar players. Highly touted offensive d-man out of the Q who plays a more passive game than anything. I really don't know much about him other than what I've read, which sounds like a Grags-esque player.

What more can you tell me about him?

Thanks for the Pysyk write up.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
From what I read in his draft year, it seems as though the two are similar players. Highly touted offensive d-man out of the Q who plays a more passive game than anything. I really don't know much about him other than what I've read, which sounds like a Grags-esque player.

Gragnani was a far less defensively sound player at the same point (both draft-wise and developmentally) who's offensive instincts overwhelm(ed) his defensive game. He was a passing-oriented playmaker from the backend.

Gauthier-Leduc, if one has to draw a parrallel to any Sabre Francophone Q' drafted D-man, is more of a Phillipe Boucher type -- in that he's a solid puck mover who generates with a great and accurate shot and the ability to get into position to utilize it. He's the parrallels drawn to Kris Letang, but Letang has gone through a development process on par with what we saw with Myers over Tyler's final WHL season and rookie NHL season. Jerome will have to up his game to come close to that -- not to say he can't/won't, just the curve to get to Letang's level is steep.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He had the primary assist on the winning goal.
It was a slapper from the blueline that was saved by Domingue (he actually hit the net, so he'd be useful on the big team) and Christian Thomas potted the rebound.
Overall, he played a good game (miles better than the summer camp).
No bad pinches or reads really and was skating well.
He did get caught on the wrong side of the puck once coming out of the corner, but it wasn't anything big, it just stuck in my mind for some reason.

Pysyk was good too.
He skated really well and showed his ability to separate himself.
Was also very quick and decisive in his reads and made a few beautiful outlet passes.
Thanks. I saw you posted in the discussion thread, figured you could chime in with your take on it. Much appreciated.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:38 AM
jfb392

Quote:

Gragnani is just kind of average at everything.
Gauthier-Leduc has better passing ability, a better shot, better skating (actually has another gear), and better vision.
Hell, he's probably just as capable defensively as Grags even though he's only 19.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
That was the commentary at the time JGL was drafted, yes.
Wasn't the comment from his coach that he may be better than Letang was at that age? That said, Letang has made huge strides and the Pens have done an amazing job developing him as a player. I fear that if too many make JGL/Letang comparisons, he'll quickly become a board scapegoat if he isn't a star in the league within three or four years.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with JGL at the Traverse City Tourney. He looked passive, weak on the puck, and I thought his decisions were slow--sound familiar? He wasn't seeing much ice late in games, and, personally, I thought Matt MacKenzie looked to be the the better of the two, at least in that tourney. Sounds like he's taken some big steps in the intervening period, though.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:32 PM
jfb392

Seems like this is the place to post this: Pysyk is paired with Beaulieu for tonight's game.
Gauthier-Leduc is paired with Dumba.