Fort Wayne Komets announcer Bob Chase makes questionable remark Saturday night

http://journalgazette.net/article/20...009/SPORTS0601

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

vCash: 500
It is probably a little insensitive, but given his age, I can understand the reference. I tend to believe him that there wasn't malice intended, but it was a thoughtless comment. He should get 'don't do that ever again speech' from the owner, but nothing more.

12-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Ouch that's a mistake!

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:53 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

I thought he had finally hung it up.

Yeah, it was a slip, no big deal, but to call someone spiteful who complained really makes him come off as arrogant about it.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I thought he had finally hung it up.

Yeah, it was a slip, no big deal, but to call someone spiteful who complained really makes him come off as arrogant about it.
I wish he would. The dude is 85. I've listened to him a handful of times and he has the mouth of a sailor. I can't believe he gets away with swearing qhen so many other things in todays world are bleeped out and what not.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Solution

This is not justifying what he said, but another factor to take into account is how close it occurred to the anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack. To that generation, it was truly a day that will live in infamy. So that may have been on his mind when he made the comment.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:44 AM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
I wish he would. The dude is 85. I've listened to him a handful of times and he has the mouth of a sailor. I can't believe he gets away with swearing qhen so many other things in todays world are bleeped out and what not.
Woah.....he swears on the air? I thought the Komets were still on WOWO (which you can pick up on a good night all over the country.)

What does he say?

Old
12-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Woah.....he swears on the air? I thought the Komets were still on WOWO (which you can pick up on a good night all over the country.)

What does he say?
These are minor IMO but hell and damn I have heard, damn frequently enough though. Yeah they are on WOWO(Have no idea what it is but you said a lot of our AM dials could get it?)

Old
12-07-2011, 11:13 AM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Quote:
These are minor IMO but hell and damn I have heard, damn frequently enough though. Yeah they are on WOWO(Have no idea what it is but you said a lot of our AM dials could get it?)
WOWO are call letters for a radio station.

There was a time when you could pick up WOWO clearly in New England. I guess no longer as there is another radio station that overpowers it at night.

"Hell" and "damn".......big deal.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:05 PM
desert dawg

First, I thought he was only doing home games- what is he doing taking bus trips when he is 85 years old?? (Good for him!!)
Secondly, I highly recommend "Live from Radio Rinkside" the Bob Chase story-Bob not only played for the Komets in one game against the US Olympic team (he actually had an assist on the first goal) he has interviewed Elvis, the Beatles, and Frank Sinatra among others-
Third, I finally made it to Ft Wayne last year, and the entire building to include both benches, stood up and sang happy b-day to him before the game-
As for his comment, jeez, cut the guy a little slack- I think he has more than earned it-

desert dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:25 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
heh, was expecting a lot worse, actually.

I still remember as a kid when the WWF announcers would make Pearl Harbor references whenever there was a surprise attack, so that's obviously just an obvious go-to for a lot of people of that generation and slightly younger. I'd be inclined to believe him when he said that he honestly meant no malice, though as a broadcaster he should've been smart enough to know not to say it.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dawg View Post
First, I thought he was only doing home games- what is he doing taking bus trips when he is 85 years old?? (Good for him!!)
Secondly, I highly recommend "Live from Radio Rinkside" the Bob Chase story-Bob not only played for the Komets in one game against the US Olympic team (he actually had an assist on the first goal) he has interviewed Elvis, the Beatles, and Frank Sinatra among others-
Third, I finally made it to Ft Wayne last year, and the entire building to include both benches, stood up and sang happy b-day to him before the game-
As for his comment, jeez, cut the guy a little slack- I think he has more than earned it-
Shouldn't there be a limit to this stuff? Kinda like joePa being 84 and coaching. It's obvious real life concepts passed him by at a certain age, it's life. I'm not saying I have a personal problem with the comment but many others do. Also, i'd like to know...was the Rush player Japanese? The comment just seems hella random.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Solution

Quote:
Shouldn't there be a limit to this stuff? Kinda like joePa being 84 and coaching. It's obvious real life concepts passed him by at a certain age, it's life. I'm not saying I have a personal problem with the comment but many others do. Also, i'd like to know...was the Rush player Japanese? The comment just seems hella random.
My grandfather is 90 years old and would still be farming if he had not lost his mobility after his stroke. So I can not necessarily agree with his age meaning the real world has passed him by (although Joe Pa is another story for another time), but I reference my earlier post. It occurred on Saturday the 3rd with Pearl Harbor's anniverdary being the 7th. I just think that it was in his mind.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
My grandfather is 90 years old and would still be farming if he had not lost his mobility after his stroke. So I can not necessarily agree with his age meaning the real world has passed him by (although Joe Pa is another story for another time), but I reference my earlier post. It occurred on Saturday the 3rd with Pearl Harbor's anniverdary being the 7th. I just think that it was in his mind.
Perhaps. However farming and announcing are an apples to oranges comparison IMO.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Solution

Quote:
Perhaps. However farming and announcing are an apples to oranges comparison IMO.
I can concede that point as well. Sometimes I just like to point out other points of view to be as open minded as possible since I am natually closeminded.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

No reason to say that, but I love how they make is seem like what he said was so bad, then they print it in the newspaper, just like he said it. Hilariously hypocritical.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:36 AM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyNystromOwnsYou View Post
No reason to say that, but I love how they make is seem like what he said was so bad, then they print it in the newspaper, just like he said it. Hilariously hypocritical.
I don't think the article the way it was written acted like it was bad at all. It referred to it as a remark and a phrase....never saying it was patently offensive. And they even found a Japanese professor to say it was not offensive.

Reporting on a subject does not indicate it was positive or negative inherently.

Last edited by GarbageGoal: 12-12-2011 at 11:57 AM.