HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Notes from Bergen Record Rangers Article

Old
12-12-2011, 01:18 AM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
That is the point - that the Avery crowd's fervor is based on emotional attachment to his personality and amusement at the bush league crap that he pulls rather than his actual value as a hockey player.

I readily admit that he played well his first couple of games back and that he had one other good game a week or so back - but other than that, he's been invisible. So, fourth liner that he is, he got swapped out for another fourth liner. Hey, if the team goes stagnant and loses a couple of games I have no problem with him being subbed back in for Christensen in an effort to provide some kind of spark. (Frankly, I don't expect either of the players in question to be here this time next year.) Yet, because he's Sean WWE Avery he's supposed to be afforded some special treatment. The OP is ticked off that he sat; I'm ticked off that there is a contingent of Rangers fans that idolize him as they do.
what bush league crap has he pulled this year? in fact when was the last bush league act he pulled? i guarentee you don't answer this. and nobody cares if your ticked off that avery has fans. the fact that your happy christensen is playing makes me cringe. pretty embarrassing. take out sean wwe avery and replace him with eric crybaby headcase christensen. thats what your happy about... ugh.

avery has played well and then all of a sudden his minutes got cut. there is nothing else to say.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
what bush league crap has he pulled this year? in fact when was the last bush league act he pulled? i guarentee you don't answer this. and nobody cares if your ticked off that avery has fans. the fact that your happy christensen is playing makes me cringe. pretty embarrassing. take out sean wwe avery and replace him with eric crybaby headcase christensen. thats what your happy about... ugh.

avery has played well and then all of a sudden his minutes got cut. there is nothing else to say.
Well, I'm not a Christensen fan either, but he's far from a headcase.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:47 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post

The Rangers have lost, what, 3 of the last 17 games and you're questioning the coach and a minor roster decision? EC was probably in because he hasn't played in such a long time and Avery is the obvious choice to sit for a game. Plus, the team did win 6-1.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:53 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

They're going to each get their games in. Christensen and Avery.

Don't see what the issue is.

Christensen contributed to a big win.

Avery gets a rest and reevaluate what he needs to do to be effective. And his turn will come again.

These are 4th line players. If one is struggling, the other gets a look, when he struggles the other gets another look.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:12 AM
bmw2004

I think it is impossible to show some effectiveness night after night when your ice time is averaging 7 min a game, which is 2.3 min a period. Torts just hates Avery and does everything to shot him down.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:02 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
I readily admit that he played well his first couple of games back and that he had one other good game a week or so back - but other than that, he's been invisible.
Is it a coincidence that you picked out the 3 games he scored in?

Sophisticated analysis you got going on there. Any seminars upcoming to share your theories?

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
That is the point - that the Avery crowd's fervor is based on emotional attachment to his personality and amusement at the bush league crap that he pulls rather than his actual value as a hockey player.

I readily admit that he played well his first couple of games back and that he had one other good game a week or so back - but other than that, he's been invisible. So, fourth liner that he is, he got swapped out for another fourth liner. Hey, if the team goes stagnant and loses a couple of games I have no problem with him being subbed back in for Christensen in an effort to provide some kind of spark. (Frankly, I don't expect either of the players in question to be here this time next year.) Yet, because he's Sean WWE Avery he's supposed to be afforded some special treatment. The OP is ticked off that he sat; I'm ticked off that there is a contingent of Rangers fans that idolize him as they do.
People love Sean Avery. It is what it is. Not going to change. I try not to let myself get frustrated with how other people feel about certain players. People hated Michal Rozsival to the point that they booed him after he assisted on goals. There's always a certain segment of the fan base that have irrational feelings towards a player. You'll drive yourself crazy if you get caught up in those "arguments" though. Just my two cents.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I think it is impossible to show some effectiveness night after night when your ice time is averaging 7 min a game, which is 2.3 min a period. Torts just hates Avery and does everything to shot him down.
Surprised it has not been mentioned but NEITHER Avery or EC will have a spot on the roster once Rupp and Wolski get back. We can argue Avery is better than EC till the cows come home, but Avery is no better than the 12th best forward on this team right now. Rupp is taking his spot as soon as he is healthy....End of story.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
The Rangers have lost, what, 3 of the last 17 games and you're questioning the coach and a minor roster decision? EC was probably in because he hasn't played in such a long time and Avery is the obvious choice to sit for a game. Plus, the team did win 6-1.
Hit the nail right on the head with the bolded part.

This situation occurs with pretty much every team in the league when it comes to their 12th and 13th forwards. Personally, I dont think the difference between Avery and Christensen is that great, especially when you take the shootout into consideration.

But the main issue is its largely inconsiquential - again, we're talking about the 12th forward here that will get minimal ice time most nights. The fact so many posts have been wasted on this subject is comical at this point - then again, its just a symptom of the Sean Avery cult.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hit the nail right on the head with the bolded part.

This situation occurs with pretty much every team in the league when it comes to their 12th and 13th forwards. Personally, I dont think the difference between Avery and Christensen is that great, especially when you take the shootout into consideration.

But the main issue is its largely inconsiquential - again, we're talking about the 12th forward here that will get minimal ice time most nights. The fact so many posts have been wasted on this subject is comical at this point - then again, its just a symptom of the Sean Avery cult.
Absolutely right. The people that get so caught up with Sean Avery and the minutes he's getting seem to lack an overall context of the situation.

Sean Avery has been usurped on the depth chart over the past few years. It's an unfortunate consequence of the team improving & Avery's losing his effectiveness. That's too bad for him, but when the team is winning how can anyone take any real issue? Makes me question their allegiences.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

People should be less concerned with Avery's ice time and more concerned that we're off to our best start in 20 years. Can't make this stuff up.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:37 AM
KennyWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Well, I'm not a Christensen fan either, but he's far from a headcase.
Nope, he just looks like one.

KennyWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:11 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
People love Sean Avery. It is what it is. Not going to change. I try not to let myself get frustrated with how other people feel about certain players. People hated Michal Rozsival to the point that they booed him after he assisted on goals. There's always a certain segment of the fan base that have irrational feelings towards a player. You'll drive yourself crazy if you get caught up in those "arguments" though. Just my two cents.
Sigh - I know. For the most part I've learned to stay out of these debates since the epic training camp threads.

What can I say, I had had that one extra beverage last night, was basking in the glow of a 6-1 NYR beatdown and let myself get overly annoyed with the fact that someone would choose that moment to complain about Avery. I should know better. My bad.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You're absolutely right about this. In fact, you could perhaps label me as an Avery fan going back to 2007/2008 - but that was years ago. And with NYC, being such a "what have you done for me lately" type of town, I cant understand why so many fans still salivate over him.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:43 AM
pjdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
People should be less concerned with Avery's ice time and more concerned that we're off to our best start in 20 years. Can't make this stuff up.
AMEN... We have depth.. that is what we should be thankful for. Gzzz guys. Who cares who is in/out, as long as they keep playing this way, I dont give a flying poop.

pjdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Maybe Torts felt that you can't sit Christensen for 30-40 games and hope that when needed he can be called on to hop onto the ice and perform.

It's not that big an issue... guys have to play once in a while to not lose that "game pace" feel. Practice doesn't cut it, not even close, at this level.

Also, we're not in the lockeroom... if Avery has something else going on, off ice, that we're (shockingly) not privy to, then we should trust Torts, feelings about him aside. I'll bet Avery is inserted into the lineup in the next week or so.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I'll bet Avery is inserted into the lineup in the next week or so.
Maybe.

But even longer term, with Rupp and Wolski coming back and callups like Hagelin and Mitchell playing well, I think its more likely that he doesnt find his way back into the lineup with any regularity or ***GASP***, gets sent back down.

Old
12-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
Surprised it has not been mentioned but NEITHER Avery or EC will have a spot on the roster once Rupp and Wolski get back. We can argue Avery is better than EC till the cows come home, but Avery is no better than the 12th best forward on this team right now. Rupp is taking his spot as soon as he is healthy....End of story.
That depends on how you assign value to each player and how much you value Boyle, Prust, Feds, Mitchell, and Rupp. You can make a case for Avery over each of these guys and EC and Dubi. So, to say he is no better than 12th is your opinion and not even close to the end of the story. Nice try.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyWu View Post
Nope, he just looks like one.
Actually EC is a major head case. He has admitted publicly that his confidence comes and goes in wild swings and that he is not sure why his effectiveness is so hard to get consistent. He is a talented guy, the only reason that he has been so inconsistent is because he is a major head case.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
That depends on how you assign value to each player and how much you value Boyle, Prust, Feds, Mitchell, and Rupp. You can make a case for Avery over each of these guys and EC and Dubi. So, to say he is no better than 12th is your opinion and not even close to the end of the story. Nice try.
Just means that you're terrible at assessing player values and/or reaching when it comes to Avery's importance if you "can make the argument" that he deserves to be in the lineup over half the forwards on the roster.

Reality need not apply, I guess.

Dont mean you in particular, but anyone trying to make that argument,

Old
12-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post

I don't think Dubi has been bad... he's just not scoring. He's still creating and working and maintaining possession of the puck. All very valuable traits. I wouldn't sit him for Avery.

Feds had a great couple games last week or the week before. Time to sit? Not yet IMHO. He was involved and had some good opportunities last night.

Rupp wasn't impressive when he was healthy (if he was actually healthy).

Prust has value just from fighting and has worked hard on each shift.

I like what Mitchell has done in his time here.

That being said, I think there will be oppostunities for Avery... injuries, slumps both team and indv. player. He has value for his spark, but that value diminishes after a few games.

Old
12-12-2011, 12:18 PM
mullichicken25

this thread title should be changed to "waaaahhhhhh! Avery! waaahh!"

i dont give a crap if Torts kept Gaborik and Cally to 5min a game as long as we were winning like we have been

Avery hasn't done much out there, and you can blame it on the player, the coach, or whatever you like but the bottom line is that he hasn't been a factor and it hasn't mattered

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:25 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
this thread title should be changed to "waaaahhhhhh! Avery! waaahh!"

i dont give a crap if Torts kept Gaborik and Cally to 5min a game as long as we were winning like we have been

Avery hasn't done much out there, and you can blame it on the player, the coach, or whatever you like but the bottom line is that he hasn't been a factor and it hasn't mattered
Well, the reason for the thread was the note from Gross that Avery was in the dog house because of something off the ice. Living on the west coast, it is not always easy to hear about what is going on. Guess I should have been smart enough to refrain from starting an Avery thread at all. This is how they all seem to end up.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Well, the reason for the thread was the note from Gross that Avery was in the dog house because of something off the ice. Living on the west coast, it is not always easy to hear about what is going on. Guess I should have been smart enough to refrain from starting an Avery thread at all. This is how they all seem to end up.
You ARE to blame here

Getting back to the original point, IF Avery did something off ice to end up in the doghouse, it wouldn't shock anyone. I guess we can't just trust Torts when it comes to Avery.

Old
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

6 regulation losses in 27 games, folks. I think Torts knows what he's doing.