HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke can't get on the same page as Regier

Old
12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Brian Burke can't get on the same page as Regier

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/1...=Google+Reader

I'm trying to figure out if I, as a Sabres fan, should be happy or upset about that.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Sabretip

If some of TBN's editorials in the past are to be believed, Burke isn't the only GM to have a tough time dealing / negotiating with Regier.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:39 PM
gallagt01

Regier values his players higher than most GMs. That's why he generally wins his trades. He stands pat and finds the best value for his guys.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:40 PM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Well, especially being in the same division, you don't want a trade to backfire and haunt you all year by giving a close rival a key player.

Edit: I'll have to watch the vid when I'm home

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Clock

The answer to the question containing said blurb starts at about 10:30, actual mention is around 11:20.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Love his comments about going to other team's games -- "It's fun....the officiating is flawless".

Zip15

vCash: 50
Why is that a bad thing? Burke has always said his philosophy is to get the best player in the deal. That should be every GM's philosophy. I don't want Regier giving away the best player in the deal--at least while we're in win-now mode and not getting back great futures--especially to a team we're playing six times per season. Notwithstanding Burke's lip service to making each deal a win-win, he wants to get back more value than he's giving up--duh. That's the point of trading. I'm glad Regier wants to win the deal, too.

I bet Anaheim fans are real happy that Murray and Burke are so chummy. I'm sure Ducks fans wouldn't want a guy playing 24 minutes/game (Gardiner) in recent weeks on their blueline.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Matty K

I get the feeling that after Regier and Burke made the swap of Dominic Moore for the Second Round Pick(2009/EDM) at the 2009 Trade Deadline and found out he got robbed out of a Top Sixty Draft Pick Darcy put Brian on his Block List.

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty K View Post
I get the feeling that after Regier and Burke made the swap of Dominic Moore for the Second Round Pick(2009/EDM) at the 2009 Trade Deadline and found out he got robbed out of a Top Sixty Draft Pick Darcy put Brian on his Block List.
I think it's funny that he says he and Darcy are good friends but they just don't speak the same language when it comes to trades. His points about guys working together is true and it's not uncommon at the Top Prospects Game to see the guys who trade together sitting together.

It also makes me wonder who is calling who and what players they are talking about...

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:58 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Some of my favorite pieces from the interview:

Burke saying that he'd punch a player in the face if they came to him and complained about ice time or linemates.

Burke talking about pulling for Boston after the way the Canucks played the first couple of games in the SCFs.

The whole thing on the Kevin Lowe fight thing was awesome.

And the ending about homophobic slurs was spot on.

Old
12-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I think it's funny that he says he and Darcy are good friends but they just don't speak the same language when it comes to trades. His points about guys working together is true and it's not uncommon at the Top Prospects Game to see the guys who trade together sitting together.

It also makes me wonder who is calling who and what players they are talking about...
Right. I'm sure Doug Wilson thinks Regier is fairly easy to work with.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Right. I'm sure Doug Wilson thinks Regier is fairly easy to work with.
Lombardi is another.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:01 PM
indigoo

Who is the woman interviewing? Nice seeing a pretty face in the hockey world of journalists (if she is one?)

Interesting interview to say the least...

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:13 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoo View Post
Who is the woman interviewing? Nice seeing a pretty face in the hockey world of journalists (if she is one?)

Interesting interview to say the least...
Sophia Jurksztowicz - it's in the first sentence

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

I remember the rumor of him asking for Sakic, when whoever inquired about Jay McKee...

what a clown...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Afino
The Juice

Of course, this doesn't shock me....

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:28 PM
joshjull

Between the misleading thread title and posters making assumptions/mischaracterizations about what Burke actually said and how he said it. Its no wonder we're getting some pretty silly comments.

Burke said they are great friends. But when they talk trade Darcy speaks one language on players and Burke speaks another. Burke when on to say (tongue in cheek) that obviously means one of them is being unreasonable. Then, while smiling and laughing a bit, said obviously its Darcy thats unreasonable.

It sounded to me like someone (Burke)teasing a friend (Regier)he knows is as tough in trade talks as he is.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-12-2011 at 02:34 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:47 PM
LGB24

I agree JJ. You cant complain about the trades Regeir hasn't made because those trades could have meant giving up key pieces such as Myers, Kassian, Enroth etc for part time players. I remember a few years ago at the trade deadline my leafs friends were telling me that the leafs were asking for Myers and Stafford for Kaberle. This was the year before Myers 1st NHL season and he was still in Kelowna. Just because Darcy is hard to trade with doesn't mean he's overvaluing his players, and even if he is, it doesn't mean he's making the wrong decision.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Matty K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

I think this also goes back to what Loods said(which I agree) about how Darcy values his Player's more highly than most General Managers and that he stands pat until he finds the best value for his Player's.

In my opinion, Darcy Regier is a real smart Hockey Man and has to be one of the best in the League when it comes to Player's Values and Trades. I get the feeling that Burke thought Regier was one of those General Managers that he could walk all over(quite possibly because Regier isn't one of the most talkative General Managers and does not Trade often with other General Managers) and rob the other General Manager while doing Trades.

I can imagine there have been instances in the past where Burke has called up Regier whether that be at the Trade Deadline, Draft, Off-Season or sometime during the Season where he has thrown his garbage at Regier trying to pry Myers or Roy out of Buffalo or probably at the Deadline where he's tried dumping his overpaid garbage for Top Ninety Picks.

Surely, Burke and Regier are probably friends when it comes to the Off-Season and such. I remember Burke saying once that he is friends with Chia in Boston and that they go fishing together in the Summer. I just think when it comes to Hockey Business and during the Hockey Season Regier blocks Burke's number as Darcy and Brian don't see eye to eye when it comes to Trades and Player's Values.

Like I mentioned in my previous post it probably had to do back at the Trade Deadline back in 2009 when Burke robbed Regier out of a Second Round Pick back in 2009. So Darcy is probably scared to make another Transaction with Brian thinking he'll rob him again. Thus, I get the feeling that unless Brain is calling Darcy from another Phone offering an overpayment of some sort Regier and Burke are probably not doing any sort of Transaction which each other in the near future.

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:58 PM
sabresfan129103

Have the Sabres made a deal with Phoenix since Regier fleeced them for Briere? Gratton and a 4th for Briere and a 3rd.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Have the Sabres made a deal with Phoenix since Regier fleeced them for Briere? Gratton and a 4th for Briere and a 3rd.
Tellqvist at the deadline a few years back(08-09?) was with Phoenix IIRC.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:11 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Tellqvist at the deadline a few years back(08-09?) was with Phoenix IIRC.
Yeah, but the GMs in Phx were different.

Briere trade was in 02-03 and Mike Barnett was the Yotes GM.

The Tellqvist deal was at the 2009 deadline when Don Maloney was the GM.

Old
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

The real question is, have we had a trade with Phoenix after fleecing them for:

To Buffalo:
-Tellqvist
-Giant white scarf

To Phoenix:
-4th Round Pick 2010

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:58 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

I agree that Regier is probably hard to deal with and that he regards his players very highly, but IMO thats part of our problem. Thats why our roster is usually fairly similar year after year. Same core, same problems. Its not bad that he usually fairs well in trades, but there are a good number of guys that should have been traded under his watct that never were because he valued them too high.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Disenfranchised*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
I agree that Regier is probably hard to deal with and that he regards his players very highly, but IMO thats part of our problem. Thats why our roster is usually fairly similar year after year. Same core, same problems. Its not bad that he usually fairs well in trades, but there are a good number of guys that should have been traded under his watct that never were because he valued them too high.
Yeah no kidding, it's like we've had the same team since 07-08 with minor changes and expect a different result(The definition of insanity i might add). So what does Mr.Pegula do when he get's to Buffalo? Hires a slick salesmen in Ted Black and keeps everything the same. I won't pull any punches he should of fired both Ruff and Regier and he should stay out of personnel decisions in the future if he wants to make good on his dream of winning a cup.

Disenfranchised* is offline   Reply With Quote