HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time is now to enjoy Vancouver Canucks squad

Old
12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

vCash: 500
There have been far more bleak seasons than seasons to celebrate. It was absolutely surreal for me, a fan since 1970, to read last year's predictions and see "Vancouver Canucks" next to "who will win the Stanley Cup?". After the Roulette wheel, the V jerseys (which I grew to love!), Bill Laforge, Derlago-Vaive trade, Neely trade, Nedved holdout, Lidstrom from center, Keenan, Messier, Bertuzzi-Moore, HELL YEAH I'm so happy to be around for the glory days. this team, this year, is a trade deadline acquisition away from going right back to the Final with a wealth of lessons learned and a hunger for the prize.
Life is GOOD!

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
There have been far more bleak seasons than seasons to celebrate.
Like the Canucks 15 consecutive losing seasons? An all-time NHL record.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
CallMeJerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...622/story.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Province
You hear longtime fans getting down on this year's team from time to time on talk radio or in the comments online and even we in the media often lose perspective over some issue whether it's a goalie shuffle or whether somebody is playing enough or too much. But the real Vancouver fan should recognize that the time to enjoy a team this good is now. This is pretty much as good as it gets unless you somehow get to an Oilers-Islanders-Habs like dynasty somehow. Remember there have been too many years when it's been terrible and those years will one day return. Now is the time to enjoy, celebrate and relish this team. Believe me, over the years there have been some bad ones.

A strange feel good piece by Tony G, but he's right. This is the best we've seen in 41 years.
Somehow the double somehow got past the editor somehow.

But seriously the negative Tony G tag should have been dropped years ago. He was "negative" when this team was pure crap for decades. That's not being negative - that's reporting.

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:08 PM
CallMeJerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
There have been far more bleak seasons than seasons to celebrate. It was absolutely surreal for me, a fan since 1970, to read last year's predictions and see "Vancouver Canucks" next to "who will win the Stanley Cup?". After the Roulette wheel, the V jerseys (which I grew to love!), Bill Laforge, Derlago-Vaive trade, Neely trade, Nedved holdout, Lidstrom from center, Keenan, Messier, Bertuzzi-Moore, HELL YEAH I'm so happy to be around for the glory days. this team, this year, is a trade deadline acquisition away from going right back to the Final with a wealth of lessons learned and a hunger for the prize.
Life is GOOD!
I had no issues with the Vaive trade - it got us Tiger Williams who was key to the 82 run. Vaive may have scored a lot of goals - but at the end of the day, Vaive didn't take the Leafs never went as far as the Canucks did with Tiger.

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:16 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseat View Post
i only enjoy stanley cups the rest is a waste
thanks.
I feel sorry for you thenn. With that attitude you're obviously someone that struggles to enjoy much in life.

We all want a Cup but I don't agree with this Cup or bust crap that gets spewed around on these boards. It would be incredibly disappointing if the Canucks never win the Cup with this team, but that doesn't mean that the past few seasons - and likely more seasons to come - haven't been extremely entertaining and enjoyable. When it comes down to it, I absolutely would not trade this team for, say, the Carolina Hurricanes, who won their Cup in 2006 and have been a putrid team since. I wouldn't even trade them for the Ducks who also haven't done squat since winning, although they at least still have a fantastic core and some great prospects coming through the fold.

So yeah, I said it. I would take a team that doesn't win a Cup but has promising seasons year after year over a team that goes for broke one year, wins a Cup, and are losers from that point on. Why? Because hockey is just hockey. The value of it is strictly entertainment. Some people take hockey way too seriously and those are the ones that can't appreciate anything they get from their hockey team except Cups.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Love how he speaks as if some of us don't already appreciate the team enough, when in reality most of the negativity around the team is manufactured by the media themselves (whether it's local or national) and now the team is doing good and the goaltender controversy was squashed like a bug it's all roses and sunshine for them again and only everyone else is being unreasonable.
Are you kidding me? It's the fans fault just as much as it is the media's. The Canucks have a notoriously whiny fanbase.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:51 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Anybody who can't appreciate good hockey unless all the stars align and a Cup us delivered probably doesn't know good hockey when they're watching it. Give me the Canucks team that lost in the SCF over any Devils team that won.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Canuckommunist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carseat View Post
i only enjoy stanley cups the rest is a waste
thanks.
Might want to find yourself a new team then.

Canuckommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:58 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Love how he speaks as if some of us don't already appreciate the team enough, when in reality most of the negativity around the team is manufactured by the media themselves (whether it's local or national) and now the team is doing good and the goaltender controversy was squashed like a bug it's all roses and sunshine for them again and only everyone else is being unreasonable.
yeah.... YEAH! what a fool!

VanJaysFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:27 AM
vadim sharifijanov
#bryantreevesbad

last year, after we picked up hamlard ballhuis, i told myself watch as many games as you can and still have a job, not get fired, etc. and i did-- i think i saw 50 full regular season games (thank you internet), which is more than i'd been able to since i was in high school, and every second of every playoff game.

i'm just glad that the nasbert crawtier years are no longer our "golden age." OMG TWO TOP FIVE SCORERS AND HE WOULD HAVE WON THE ART ROSS AND HART if they weren't a bunch of effing losers.

fml.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
I started following the Canucks in the last 2-3 years. I followed the Suns religiously back then, so it's probably even worse than being a Canucks fan.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Zombotron
Wrong Sarah

I agree with Gallagher's sentiment, and I agree with this statement (as the WCE era was when I first started developing my fandom [though I didn't complete the conversion into a hardcore fan until 2007, after the Stars series])

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i'm just glad that the nasbert crawtier years are no longer our "golden age." OMG TWO TOP FIVE SCORERS AND HE WOULD HAVE WON THE ART ROSS AND HART if they weren't a bunch of effing losers.

fml.
The great thing is that this team, while similar in notoriety/stature around the league, is just so much more likeable — if you're a Canucks fan, of course. Gone is the country-club locker room, "We Choked™," and "it is what it is" — we now have the pleasure of watching an extremely tight-knit, upbeat team with a great attitude.

That's just how I see it, of course.

Zombotron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:03 AM
carseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckommunist View Post
Might want to find yourself a new team then.
pain is pleasure

carseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Golden era... Maybe... I think the whole era will be tainted if we can't manage to win a cup. This team has it all: Hart winner, Lindsay winner, back to back Art Ross winners, Selke winner, Vezna nominee goalie, and no real holes to speak of. We SHOULD be able to win a cup with this team, there is absolutely NO excuse if we don't. We DEFINITELY have another 3 very good shots it it, beyond that is a bit of a question mark but I still imagine we'll be good enough to make a couple more runs with Gillis at the helm.

This could be remembered as a golden era.. But if we don't win, I think I may look back at this time with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth knowing we squandered our best chance in 40 years, and we might not get a better one for another 40.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I feel sorry for you thenn. With that attitude you're obviously someone that struggles to enjoy much in life.

We all want a Cup but I don't agree with this Cup or bust crap that gets spewed around on these boards. It would be incredibly disappointing if the Canucks never win the Cup with this team, but that doesn't mean that the past few seasons - and likely more seasons to come - haven't been extremely entertaining and enjoyable. When it comes down to it, I absolutely would not trade this team for, say, the Carolina Hurricanes, who won their Cup in 2006 and have been a putrid team since. I wouldn't even trade them for the Ducks who also haven't done squat since winning, although they at least still have a fantastic core and some great prospects coming through the fold.

So yeah, I said it. I would take a team that doesn't win a Cup but has promising seasons year after year over a team that goes for broke one year, wins a Cup, and are losers from that point on. Why? Because hockey is just hockey. The value of it is strictly entertainment. Some people take hockey way too seriously and those are the ones that can't appreciate anything they get from their hockey team except Cups.
I don't agree entirely with the guy you quoted in all else is a waste, but I will say that the longer you're a fan of a team that has never won a cup and faced disappointment after disappointment, the more important that first cup becomes. I can relate to what he's saying.

My dad was a Canucks fan for 39 years and died without seeing the Canucks win a cup. I'd rather not.

It could never find us here
Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

I'm going to be choked if we don't win the cup before the Sedins retire.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:05 PM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Golden era... Maybe... I think the whole era will be tainted if we can't manage to win a cup. This team has it all: Hart winner, Lindsay winner, back to back Art Ross winners, Selke winner, Vezna nominee goalie, and no real holes to speak of. We SHOULD be able to win a cup with this team, there is absolutely NO excuse if we don't. We DEFINITELY have another 3 very good shots it it, beyond that is a bit of a question mark but I still imagine we'll be good enough to make a couple more runs with Gillis at the helm.

This could be remembered as a golden era.. But if we don't win, I think I may look back at this time with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth knowing we squandered our best chance in 40 years, and we might not get a better one for another 40.
If we don't ever win a cup with this core we'll be the Seattle Mariners of hockey. (assuming the Caps don't take that title before us)

Old
12-12-2011, 12:08 PM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I'm going to be choked if we don't win the cup before the Sedins retire.
At least we're finally relevant in the cup discussion year-in and year-out.

Finally.

Old
12-12-2011, 12:23 PM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
The great thing is that this team, while similar in notoriety/stature around the league, is just so much more likeable — if you're a Canucks fan, of course. Gone is the country-club locker room, "We Choked™," and "it is what it is" — we now have the pleasure of watching an extremely tight-knit, upbeat team with a great attitude.

That's just how I see it, of course.

the dichotomy is absolutely hilarious sometimes

while ottawa is still foaming at the mouth over lapierre and kesler and burrows and diving and god knows what else, the canucks are sitting around picking animal names for each other

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:24 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanJaysFan View Post
If we don't ever win a cup with this core we'll be the Seattle Mariners of hockey. (assuming the Caps don't take that title before us)
or the St. Louis Blues of hockey.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:30 PM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I don't agree entirely with the guy you quoted in all else is a waste, but I will say that the longer you're a fan of a team that has never won a cup and faced disappointment after disappointment, the more important that first cup becomes. I can relate to what he's saying.

My dad was a Canucks fan for 39 years and died without seeing the Canucks win a cup. I'd rather not.
Yeah,my dad passed in 04 after having season tickets sincethe start. I so wanted a cup for him, and I have had a lot of hard years as a fan too. But those who say that the only measuring stick is the cup don't remember the 15 losing yrs where we begged for mediocrity.

(and I think both the Oil and the Isle of the 80's were a little more impressive than Vcr last year, but it is great to watch these guys. (though this city has more bandwagon sales then any other NHL city I believe)

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote