HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Price worth 7 million?

View Poll Results: Is Carey Price worth 7 million a year at a 5 year deal?
Yes 66 30.41%
No 151 69.59%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-12-2011, 10:42 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 500
It depens of the lenght, I'd say. 10 years +, it would be worth it big time, with inflation and all. But 5 years ? And right now that he is a RFA ? I guess management knows the answer better than we do. I mean give Price what he wants, because nobody wishes to see him leave as a UFA...

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:56 AM
karatekid

6 mil per sounds good to me.

karatekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

He may not be worth $7M per season but $5-6M I could live with.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Aeneas

Im not sure completely sure on what positions earn more money, but i would think the best player on our team should be paid the most, however with that logic gomez should be gone, he should make at least what plekanec makes if not more

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
So, if the guy demanded 7 mil... all you guys would let him walk?
Yes, a pretty good goalie for 4-5 mill with a good team in front of him could go a long way. Spend all your money on an elite goalie, a d -men and an elite forward and you will go nowhere in the nhl. I would rather have a team of good players as opossed to 1 or 2 elite players. Spend all your money on the so called elite and you will scrape the bottom of the barrell to fill the rest of the spots on the team. Not like it use to be, spend all the money you want

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:31 AM
AraGOHABSGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Yes, a pretty good goalie for 4-5 mill with a good team in front of him could go a long way. Spend all your money on an elite goalie, a d -men and an elite forward and you will go nowhere in the nhl. I would rather have a team of good players as opossed to 1 or 2 elite players. Spend all your money on the so called elite and you will scrape the bottom of the barrell to fill the rest of the spots on the team. Not like it use to be, spend all the money you want
Tell that to Flyers

Devils won the cup mainly because of Brodeur and Nidemayer.
The year the Canes won the cup, mainly because of Ward.

Yeah you need a good team, but with the team habs have right know, I rather sepnd 6-7mil$ on Price...

Plus, take away Gomez next year, and you got a 7mil$ space.
If we can work with the 7mil$ per year of Gomez and make a good team.
Imagine with the 5mil$ free of Gionta and the 7mil$ free of Gomez.

AraGOHABSGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
that's just ridiculous length... why does he need a 12 year contract?

Roy ever get 12 years?
Dryden ?
Plante? lol

We need a goalie who is going to be loyal, AND accept 4-5 year contract... or will that be too ''disrespectful''...
Good one...loyal being the key word. Should apply to any player who wears the habs jersey, committed to winning without grabbing the bucks first. they all make tons of money

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:37 AM
AraGOHABSGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Good one...loyal being the key word. Should apply to any player who wears the habs jersey, committed to winning without grabbing the bucks first. they all make tons of money
The reality of hockey has changed alot....
I dont know why we can't pay Price 7mil$, when Pittsburgh pays Crosby and Malkin 8mil$.
When Capitals pay Ovechkin 9mil$.

I mean, yeah they are the top players of the league, put up 100 points every season.

But goalie wise, Price is in the top of the league. Always will get 30 wins and will have higher than 0,915% and always will give you a really good chance of winning the games.

Kinda of what the other 3, mentionned above, do.

AraGOHABSGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraGOHABSGO View Post
The reality of hockey has changed alot....
I dont know why we can't pay Price 7mil$, when Pittsburgh pays Crosby and Malkin 8mil$.
When Capitals pay Ovechkin 9mil$.

I mean, yeah they are the top players of the league, put up 100 points every season.

But goalie wise, Price is in the top of the league. Always will get 30 wins and will have higher than 0,915% and always will give you a really good chance of winning the games.

Kinda of what the other 3, mentionned above, do.
Dude, almost 15 goalies get those stats consistently now. So top of the league is top 15? I'd say 35-40 wins, ,920+ and -2,50 season in and season out.

Price either gets his big pay day when he's about to hit UFA, and then might well get 7 mil, and will sign a low two season 4,5 per until then, or the Habs might just go half way and offer him more seasons at around 5,5. All depends on if both the Habs and Price agree on which way to go. Who's Price agent? That could give all of us a better idea of how it's gonna go. If it's a guy like Meehan, than it's gonna be short term until he's UFA, because both parties won't agree on present salary due to the nature of restricted free agency. This has often happened with Meehan players.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

I cannot see this team without Price.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:31 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
I cannot see this team without Price.
Exploding TV?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Reluctantly, I say yes. If he were to depart at the end of this season (or the next several) the Habs would be a basket case. He's one of the very best but I think $7M is a bit high at this stage of his career. What would he have to receive upon the expiration of his 5-year contract? $9M for another 5 years?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
He really has no grounds to demand 7 million.

This organization has treated him like a king.
Now, about that Slovak ... and JM

Old
12-12-2011, 12:59 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
not at all. he is still young, still prone to inconsistency, and the best part. he's a RFA.

habs are not in the habit of locking people up for long term, low cap hit so i don't know why they would start now. my guess is gauthier gives him a 2 year contract then goes for the 5-6 year contract after. same goes for subban.

money wise, 5.5 i think is he gets. especially if he keeps playing like this. damn!
you guys ok ?

he is worth 7 easily , you take Price out we are a top 5 lottery pick
he single handedly is 10-15 points a year to us

let me explain what the problem is with the cap and salaries

its not Price , Rinne, the Sedins, Crosby etc... the front line difference makers
the problem is the retarded GM`S and owners , who continously get burned by paying guys like Wiz, Cammy, Drury, Gomez, Jovo, Gio, Komi, etc
the 4.5-7 mil in free agency then 1 year later are on the block in a trade when that idiot GM realizes he made a mistake

thats the problem , barely second line 50 point players are now 5+ mil players

so if Cammy makes 6 who isnt going to carry us anywhere , why isnt Price worth 7 ?

If Gio and his 20 goals makes 5 , are you gonna tell Price we cant give you 7?

the above should be 3-3.5 mil players

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:19 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
That's been the narrative for a while. It was even true for a while, most notably in 2009-2010, where the Habs were arguably the worst club in the NHL at 5-on-5.

I don't think it has been true for over a year, now. But because it's been the ongoing story, well, the story keeps going on. Certainly, I'm having trouble remembering a game Price stole outright this season (whereas the Habs have had several games stolen by opposing goalies). This doesn't mean Price has been bad -- he hasn't -- but the team does not depend on goaltending nearly as much as it used to.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
As RFA, no he is not. As a UFA, possibly.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
you guys ok ?

let me explain what the problem is with the cap and salaries

its not Price , Rinne, the Sedins, Crosby etc... the front line difference makers
the problem is the retarded GM`S and owners , who continously get burned by paying guys like Wiz, Cammy, Drury, Gomez, Jovo, Gio, Komi, etc
the 4.5-7 mil in free agency then 1 year later are on the block in a trade when that idiot GM realizes he made a mistake

thats the problem , barely second line 50 point players are now 5+ mil players

so if Cammy makes 6 who isnt going to carry us anywhere , why isnt Price worth 7 ?

If Gio and his 20 goals makes 5 , are you gonna tell Price we cant give you 7?

the above should be 3-3.5 mil players
How many wingers in the league will give you one goal every two games in the playoffs? Cammy and Gionta have scored 28 of our last 63 goals in the playoffs in 26 games (since getting them actually). They've had 49 points out of our 63 goals, out of 189 possible points. They have scored 5 goals together (goal or assist), so that means they've both participated and are directly responsible of 44 of our last 63 goals in the playoffs. More than 2/3 of our goals have Gionta or Cammalleri's or both their names in the boxscore in the playoffs.

The regular season is NOT the only comparative. And when it comes to the playoffs, Price loses big time in the comparative department. He has won 1 playoff series.

Not to mention he plays on a defensive team, with a coach who has a reputation for defence-first.

Also, you're whole argument is backwards. When Cammy was signed, he had an 80 points season and 39 goals. How many players in the league get that? No matter if a player underperforms after signing a contract, you cannot just simply ignore the initial reason why he got the contract. You cannot also just ignore the difference of signing with the team that drafted you (Price) and signing on an open market like Cammy and Gionta. If it was the case, Plekanec would've asked for Gomer's 7 mil, don't you think? Actually, his (Cammy, or Gio or Gomer, take your pick) underperformance in regular season after signing said contract should be a deterent to signing a goalie like Price to such a cap hit considering all the goalies who have underperformed after signing huge cap hits....

Last edited by Ozymandias: 12-12-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:02 PM
RonFournier

6 500 000 long term would be fine for me . If it's for 3 years or less then 5 500 000 per.

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:13 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Had to vote yes to be part of Price exclusive fanboy club

i stll think he will fetch a 6 mil (cap) contract.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:15 PM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
A debate sprang up on one of the threads that spurred the discussion of how much Carey Price is worth. I personally think that he's worth 7 million+ easily. Most who posted disagreed with me however so I figured I'd create a thread here as I think it's a worthy discussion all on it's own.

My argument is that Price is coming up on his prime years and if you compare him to other top goalies he compares pretty favourably (even to the very best) when you consider where he's at in his development stage. I'm really curious as to what people think about this. Here are the numbers:

Price
age games wins Sv pctg
20 42 24 .920
21 52 23 .905
22 41 13 .912
23 72 38 .923
24 26 11 .920 (in progress) projects roughly to 71 games, 30 wins and .920

His first season was great. The only real bad stretch of Price's career was when he came back too early from injury in his 2nd season. Up until then he had a save percentage of something like .920. Even in that third season where his team couldn't score in front of him he still put up respectable numbers. Last year he was incredible and a workhorse and he's been great again this year.

Brodeur games wins save pctg.
age 19 4 2 .882
age 20 ----
age 21 47 27 .915
age 22 40 19 .902 WINS STANLEY CUP
age 23 77 34 .911
age 24 67 37 .927

Brodeur is pretty much the best goalie in the league who is still active. Brodeur has the cup at a young age but Price has better regular season numbers. Yes, it's a cup but keep in mind that we're comparing Price to one of the best goalies of all time and Brodeur had multiple HOF players helping him to win championships. Price's stats (not including the cup) are better but it's a different era so it's tough to capture a true comparison. Still, we can see that Price actually acumulates more wins quicker on worse teams.

Luongo games wins save pctg.
age 20 24 7 .904
age 21 47 12 .920
age 22 58 16 .915
age 23 65 20 .918
age 24 72 25 .931

Price has more experience and better numbers than Luongo at the same age. There is one huge difference here however, while Price is on mediocre teams Luongo is on terrible ones. Still, Luongo is considered one of the best in the game so it's cool to see how Price stacks up.

Lundqvist games wins save pctg.
age 20 ---------------------
age 21 ---------------------
age 22 ---------------------
age 23 53 30 .922
age 24 70 37 .917

Lundqvist is considered to be about as consistent a goalie as there is in the game today. He doesn't come close to stacking up to Price though when you put them side by side at the same age.

Miller games wins save pctg.
age 20 ---------------------
age 21 ---------------------
age 22 15 6 .902
age 23 3 0 .795
age 24 48 30 .914

This one isn't even close. And Tim Thomas doesn't even make an NHL game until he's 28 and then doesn't have a season worth mentioning until he's 32 so I didn't bother listing him here. Ditto with Kipper who has a great season (playing in only 38 games) at the age of 27 and then follows up with two great years at 29 and 30 before becoming inconsistent.

Given that three years ago Lundqvist signed a contract paying him an annual salary of 6.5 million and Pekka Rinne's recent signing at 7 mil per, I don't see how Price doesn't warrant this cash. Esp when you factor in that we play in a very difficult market and rely on him as heavily as we do.
How old was Lundqvist when he signed his deal? See what I'm getting at? Carey is too young to command such money. Maybe the next contract.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:42 PM
danyhabsfan

No he isn't worth 7M.

RFA contract < UFA contract

danyhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
How many wingers in the league will give you one goal every two games in the playoffs? Cammy and Gionta have scored 28 of our last 63 goals in the playoffs in 26 games (since getting them actually). They've had 49 points out of our 63 goals, out of 189 possible points. They have scored 5 goals together (goal or assist), so that means they've both participated and are directly responsible of 44 of our last 63 goals in the playoffs. More than 2/3 of our goals have Gionta or Cammalleri's or both their names in the boxscore in the playoffs.

The regular season is NOT the only comparative. And when it comes to the playoffs, Price loses big time in the comparative department. He has won 1 playoff series.

Not to mention he plays on a defensive team, with a coach who has a reputation for defence-first.

Also, you're whole argument is backwards. When Cammy was signed, he had an 80 points season and 39 goals. How many players in the league get that? No matter if a player underperforms after signing a contract, you cannot just simply ignore the initial reason why he got the contract. You cannot also just ignore the difference of signing with the team that drafted you (Price) and signing on an open market like Cammy and Gionta. If it was the case, Plekanec would've asked for Gomer's 7 mil, don't you think? Actually, his (Cammy, or Gio or Gomer, take your pick) underperformance in regular season after signing said contract should be a deterent to signing a goalie like Price to such a cap hit considering all the goalies who have underperformed after signing huge cap hits....

Age is a key factor. Likeother goaltenders, Price will get better while forwards like Gomez, Gionta, and Cammalleri may already be on a downward trajectory. Also, playing for a coach whois obsessed with defense isn't necessarily a boon to a goaltender, who needs his team to produce goals as well as to cut down opponents' chances.

Old
12-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
As RFA, no he is not. As a UFA, possibly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
No he isn't worth 7M.

RFA contract < UFA contract
He's in his 5th year... we COULD offer him a one year deal... But more than likely, it's going to be entertained that a Long term deal could be put in to place.

Negotiating anything longer than 1 year is = to the UFA status contract.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:16 PM
BLONG7

Would like to see him inked around 5 yrs, and 26.25M which would be 5.25M per...... or they could go to 6.0M per season, just slightly ahead of Markov....7M seems high and other than Crosby,and Ovie to a lesser extent, no one else should be making 7M...just my .02 cents...

Seems like every guy who gets 7M becomes a major cap headache...and he seems to lose his motivation...money ( and agents) are the root of all evil....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Would like to see him inked around 5 yrs, and 26.25M which would be 5.25M per...... or they could go to 6.0M per season, just slightly ahead of Markov....7M seems high and other than Crosby,and Ovie to a lesser extent, no one else should be making 7M...just my .02 cents...

Seems like every guy who gets 7M becomes a major cap headache...and he seems to lose his motivation...money ( and agents) are the root of all evil....
Totally agree... and he only has to take a look over at Gomez' stall to realize there are a lot of troubles that comes with being a 7 million dollar man... and not performing to it.

He'd be worth the 7 million because he is Montreal's franchise face, and could be for a really long time.
He'd be better suited to getting a long term, valued around 5-6 per. He's gotta realize he'll make even more staying on as Montreal's goalie... in endorsements.
His next 5-6 years, he'll make a kiling there

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote