HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto Quietly leading Team in +/- (among the league leaders)

Old
12-12-2011, 01:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Another thing that should be mentioned is his off season work ethic. He did a serious summer routine with the Rangers strength coach and last year went to that crazy Gary Roberts camp.

Good to see someone that wants badly to succeed.
When I had read 2 summers ago that MDZ was training with Roberts & Stamkos and taking his off-season preparation seriously, I was expecting him to have a strong year... When he struggled, I started to get nervous about his development because my impression was that he was struggling mentally and not focused... So this past summer I was real anxious to see how MDZ was going to respond this season, whether he was going to be mentally strong enough to be a difference maker out on the ice... Not only has he proven to do so 1/3rd of the way through the season, but I think we also need to give some credit to the coaching staff for keeping him grounded and not letting him get ahead of himself, and supporting him along the way... They've done a solid job....

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
I was a little skeptical of Del Zotto at the beginning of the year. He was making some solid rookie mistakes which I think was nothing more then nerves.

He seem to have settled in well. If he can continue this pace and continue to make plays and generate goals (2-10- 12pts) it will be great for the Rangers in the long run. IF we had drafted Fowler, Del Zotto would make him seem redundant at this point considering Fowler has 1 more point but is a -13.

Hope he keeps up the great play.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:43 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

His contributions offensively at even strength have been much larger over the course of the last week or so than they have been all season long. It's encouraging that he's starting to reintegrate 5-on-5 offense into his game. Hopefully it is just a sign of things to come.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

His +/- was a little inflated earlier in the season and he was making some mistakes... but he's played much better lately. He's been pretty good 5-on-5 and he's really done well with Stepan and Richards on the point during what's become the best Ranger powerplay in the last 10 years. Glad to see the kid doing well, I could see him improving even more moving forward.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
After a slow start (typical of the rest of the team) when he had only a single point in 6 games, MDZ has 13 points in the last 21 games. In particular after Sauer went down, MDZ really stepped up.
Even better...

Del Zotto has at least a point in 7 of the last 8 games, 8 points total and is a +8 while averaging about 22-23 minutes.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:42 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

I think Stepan's second goal last night was really indicative of how far MDZ has come this year. He read the play, jumped in and put the puck on net for a rebound. He probably doesn't do that last year, and it's because of the maturity in understanding the play and the confidence that he can make that play and still be in reasonable position to get back if need be. I loved him his rookie year but this year's version is so much better.

The young dmen who have more points than him for the most part (excluding Carlson and maybe Kulikov) have had their offense come at the expense of their defense and even some of the older players are worse defensively then MDZ such as Bergeron and Wideman.

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
His +/- was a little inflated earlier in the season and he was making some mistakes... but he's played much better lately. He's been pretty good 5-on-5 and he's really done well with Stepan and Richards on the point during what's become the best Ranger powerplay in the last 10 years. Glad to see the kid doing well, I could see him improving even more moving forward.
Wasn't his defensive partner Tim Erixon for the 8 or 9 games that Erixon played?

Old
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Wasn't his defensive partner Tim Erixon for the 8 or 9 games that Erixon played?
Yes.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:47 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Forever View Post
He is finally growing into his game and is comfortable playing in NYC and looks great out there every night
As much as like the kid,lets no forget he is playing the PP and is the 3rd pairing ,until recently ,D-unit....He doesnt play against the guys McD and Girardi are against..but I still wont take credit,as I am a bigger supporter of DelZotto and firmly believe he will be a 50 point defenseman.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
As much as like the kid,lets no forget he is playing the PP and is the 3rd pairing ,until recently ,D-unit....He doesnt play against the guys McD and Girardi are against..but I still wont take credit,as I am a bigger supporter of DelZotto and firmly believe he will be a 50 point defenseman.
MDZ has been playing on the second pairing pretty much all season. In our current lineup, he's our number 3.

Greg02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Del Zotto has played 2nd pairing minutes pretty much all season long

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
2nd pairing all season and on road games the Rangers have no say in who he plays against, it's whoever the opposing teams want to put out there as they get the last change.... You can bet the opposing teams would be trying to keep their best players away from the Girardi/McDonagh pairing.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:59 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I was completely fine with his play before he started scoring, now that he is racking up assists it is quite nice.

He's got major confidence issues. When he calms down and plays within his boundaries he shows why he was once touted as a potential all-star defenseman.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:01 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
MDZ has been playing on the second pairing pretty much all season. In our current lineup, he's our number 3.
He's been our #3 all season long, and likely will be until Staal comes back to form.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Not for nothing, because I think he's been very good this year, but it's easier to be top 10 in the league when you increase an already decent plus by >33% in a single game still fairly early in the year. Of course, he was already the top in the category on the team before last night.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
2nd pairing all season and on road games the Rangers have no say in who he plays against, it's whoever the opposing teams want to put out there as they get the last change.... You can bet the opposing teams would be trying to keep their best players away from the Girardi/McDonagh pairing.
Good to see there are a few here who are not eternal pessimists.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Yes he has been,my mistake..eminger and Woywitka/erixon were the 3rd pairing.....

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:31 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I'm still not quite sold on him. He just doesn't have the poise in the defensive zone that I covet in a D-man. He has been throwing his body around more, which I love, but he always looks hesitant and nervous to me. The polar opposite of Staal.

His plus-minus doesn't lie, though. I hope he continues to contribute.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

He has simplicity.

Florida Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:36 PM
ncmike

still needs to shoot more

ncmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmike View Post
still needs to shoot more
...on net

Florida Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 12:26 AM
darko

He's a top-4 on just about any team. Keep it up kid.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:01 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

I would love to see DZ still getting a lot of ice time when Staal/Sauer come back.

He is really putting up numbers offensively, and is capable of doing that is get gets 20 mins/game.

I am sick and tired of people saying he has been playing just decent. He has been great.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
I would love to see DZ still getting a lot of ice time when Staal/Sauer come back.

He is really putting up numbers offensively, and is capable of doing that is get gets 20 mins/game.

I am sick and tired of people saying he has been playing just decent. He has been great.

When Staal and Sauer come back, Torts will have to give McDonagh and Girardi a break. They can't keep playing 31 minutes a game. I'd like to see their minutes reduced to around 20 minutes per game for a few weeks to rest them up for the season end and the playoffs. This would require MDZ to keep playing at least 20 minutes a game.

If it were up to me, I'd run all 3 pairings at 20 minutes each, except Staal would play a little more and Erixon (who'll be here after the All Star break) a little less. This would allow the team to go into the playoffs much more fresh and rested.

I don't want Girardi and McDonagh playing 30+ minutes the rest of the regular season. They will collapse.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 02:33 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz21 View Post
I think Stepan's second goal last night was really indicative of how far MDZ has come this year. He read the play, jumped in and put the puck on net for a rebound. He probably doesn't do that last year, and it's because of the maturity in understanding the play and the confidence that he can make that play and still be in reasonable position to get back if need be. I loved him his rookie year but this year's version is so much better.

The young dmen who have more points than him for the most part (excluding Carlson and maybe Kulikov) have had their offense come at the expense of their defense and even some of the older players are worse defensively then MDZ such as Bergeron and Wideman.
He still misses the net a lot more often with that shot. Most notably on the PP when he shoots wide and the puck flys all the way out of the zone. He needs to get more of his shots on the net. Maybe last nite he could realise what happens when you hit the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I'm still not quite sold on him. He just doesn't have the poise in the defensive zone that I covet in a D-man. He has been throwing his body around more, which I love, but he always looks hesitant and nervous to me. The polar opposite of Staal.

His plus-minus doesn't lie, though. I hope he continues to contribute.
I'm with you. But lets face it,... he'll never look like Staal or Girardi. Never. I have yet to see him come out of a battle along the wall, with the puck. Staal and Girardi do this on a regular basis. That said, atleast his positioning is improving to the point where he's gaining confidence and it is starting to show in other parts of his game,... namely jumping into the play.

I wont say that the +/- stat doesn't lie. But that is probably the one stat of all the hockey statistics,.... that is not entirely truthful.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote