HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Bourdon capable of being 5-6 defender?

Old
12-11-2011, 12:49 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think he could be a #5. Maybe not every day at this point, but if he sticks around this year because of injuries and plays well, he could earn it (maybe not here when everyone is healthy, but elsewhere). I think he definitely is a borderline 6-7 guy right now, and there isn't much of a difference between 5-7, so I think he has it in him. I have liked the way Marshall has played for the most part too. Plus he looks like the homeless guy/caddie from Happy Gilmore.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Interesting to see what they do when Gustafsson and then Lilja come back. I think Gustafsson was on the verge of solidifying himself on the roster. Was starting to play 18+ minutes a game, and was getting some PP time.

Would be fine with something like:

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Gustafsson
Meszaros-Bourdon/Lilja

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Interesting to see what they do when Gustafsson and then Lilja come back. I think Gustafsson was on the verge of solidifying himself on the roster. Was starting to play 18+ minutes a game, and was getting some PP time.

Would be fine with something like:

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Gustafsson
Meszaros-Bourdon/Lilja
I'd switch Gus and Bourdon. While Bourdon isn't exactly the biggest or strongest guy in the world, that Carle-Gus pairing is a little weak physically.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:16 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

Ive been pulling for this dude since we drafted him, always liked his game. I was glad he finally got the call so I could wear my jersey and people would know who the **** he was haha.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Snipsnap12

He has great offensive skills, but his defensive zone game needs work. I have been impressed with his physicality and to be honest havent noticed him make many mistakes.

Hopefully he can develop while getting this chance more than he did in the AHL over the past while.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
He has great offensive skills, but his defensive zone game needs work. I have been impressed with his physicality and to be honest havent noticed him make many mistakes.

Hopefully he can develop while getting this chance more than he did in the AHL over the past while.
I remember the scouting report after the Flyers picked him said he was offensively talented with a booming shot, but that his skating was essentially **** and it would likely hinder him from becoming a top-4 defender. Also made mention of his stout, sturdy build and propensity for delivering crushing hits. So far, however, it's Bourdon's defensive game that has impressed me most during his stint with the Flyers. Very cerebral, smart, and safe with the puck. He has played a low risk style and appears to be jumping into the play more now that he's started to get comfortable... only problem is if he gets caught pinching, he's got no chance to recover.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:27 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Also, all these "trade a bottom pairing dman to philly" thread are just plaing rediculous. The guys being proposed in these threads really aren't much of an improvement on Gustafsson, MAB or Marshall and we CERTAINLY shouldn't be trading someone like Simmonds or Voracek for any of them. I've also seem way too many threads where we trade our 1st for a prospect that PROJECTS to be another Matt Carle clone if he reaches his full potneital (2nd pairing PMD with at best average play in his own zone). Why the hell would we give up ANYTHING for those type of prospects when we could just resign Matt Carle for free and still have the better player.

For all you Matt Carle haters out there, I can't imagine just how insane you'd go if some of your "wishes" actually came true and you had to live with your "replacement" for Carle logging the minutes Carle does and against the same opponets Carle does.

When Carle is asked to do just what he is capable of realistically doing he's fine (complimentary piece on the top pairing along side someone like Pronger, lead the 2nd pairing with a strong defensive partenr) but when he's EXPECTED to fill the void left by a Chris Pronger you are going to be sorely dissapointed.
Yeah, Carle isn't my favourite player, but the criticism he gets here at times is a bit over the top. He deserves some credit for the way that pairing has held up as well. Carle-Bourdon as a solid defensive duo, who would have thought that?

As for adding a bottom pairing dman... I hope we won't make any panic trades. What Bourdon (and Marshall) has given us is enough to hold on, and Gustafsson and Lilja ain't too far away from coming back. I doubt we'll make a trade where on of our roster players are moved. A pick and/or a prospect of some sort is more likely. I still feel that a move for a dman might be a good idea, someone who can be a 4/5th guy if needed. Depth on d is always a good thing, and even though Gustafsson, Bourdon and Marshall has done their job so far, we don't really know if they'll hold up down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Last edited by mirimon: 12-12-2011 at 12:50 AM.
mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

For only a few games:

His Corsi and qualcomp stats are decent.

12.62 ice time average per game.

He's clearly playing better than Marshall.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...2+13+14+15+16#

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:20 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Yeah, Carle isn't my favourite player, but the criticism he gets here at times is a bit over the top. He deserves some credit for the way that pairing has held up as well. Carle-Bourdon as a solid defensive duo, who would have thought that?

As for adding a bottom pairing dman... I hope we won't make any panic trades. What Bourdon (and Marshall) has given us is enough to hold on, and Gustafsson and Lilja ain't too far away from coming back. I doubt we'll make a trade where on of our roster players are moved. A pick and/or a prospect of some sort is more likely. I still feel that a move for a dman might be a good idea, someone who can be a 4/5th guy if needed. Depth on d is always a good thing, and even though Gustafsson, Bourdon and Marshall has done their job so far, we don't really know if they'll hold up down the stretch and in the playoffs.

About the only move discussed that I'd actually LIKE to see the Flyers make would be to aquire Scott Hannan for a pick (3rd rnd pick seems to be the general concensus for his value). He'd probably be better than even Meszaros right now and would make Lilja totally expendable. Hannan would be a great bottom pairing addition with the potential to jump up into the top 4 if needed.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:51 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

When we were ranking the prospects in the off season I think I said something like "he's not even a prospect anymore." Guess I was very wrong. I like when I'm wrong in that direction.

I wonder if we actually have an AHL coach that can develop dmen. I sure hope so. I'd really like to see the Dane do well for some reason. I guess his size impresses me and I've liked his strength from what I've seen in camp.

Depth chart preseason for me:
1)Pronger
2)Timonen
3)Coburn
4)Mezaros
5)Carle
6)Gus
7)Lilja
8)Walker
9)Bart
10)Marshall
11)Jancevski
12)Kessel
13)Bourdon

Preseason I think the highest anyone would have had this guy ranked would have been 11th on the d depth chart, and he is clearly outplaying Marshall and Walker.

I think the sample size is too small to determine if he can stick, but our record with him in the lineup is impressive and I've liked his game so far.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:56 AM
facts

I as well am impressed. I thought his speed might be an issue but he appears to be adjusting well. He is alot more physical than I thought he would be. He has a great first pass and holds the line really well. Good on him. Whereas Marshall hasnt impressed me at all. Looks unsure and not as physically ready. He looks quicker than Bourdon but seems rushed and overwhelmed with the puck.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
Ive been pulling for this dude since we drafted him, always liked his game. I was glad he finally got the call so I could wear my jersey and people would know who the **** he was haha.

no offense, but is Bourdon a family member or a friend?

who the hell would get a MAB jersey? especially since it's their old style jersey, did you get it even before he played a game for the Flyers?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

who the hell would get a MAB jersey? especially since it's their old style jersey, did you get it even before he played a game for the Flyers?
I always love it when people say that. No offense, but I am going to insult and offend you right now.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Krishna

Quote:

I could understand if he got the jersey at the summer sale where jerseys were like 10 bucks.. But i think he got it when he was drafted.. If so

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Jtown

I think a Bourdon Gus 3rd pairing could work out next year with limited minutes. say 15 a game.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:28 PM
McNasty

I'm not sold on him yet, he's playing better than anybody could have expected but I also think the coaches are doing a good job of putting him in a position to not get exposed. Carle has also been playing pretty well of late, which certainly plays it's part.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:59 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think a Bourdon Gus 3rd pairing could work out next year with limited minutes. say 15 a game.
Unless one of our young guys really establish himself in the second half of the season, I hope we're not counting on having two of them on our third pairing next season. We really need to have someone who can step into a top 4 role. While paying 4 million for your 5th dman is a bit extravagant perhaps, we need someone more reliable than Gustafsson or Bourdon imo.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:16 PM
CptCannon

Quote:

I woulda gotten me a Rinaldo Jersey over a year ago if it was possible without massively costing shipments or having to order it from China.

No, I'm not a friend or family member of him.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Bourdon is a testament as to what good coaching will do. I've ripped a lot on Laviolette and staff as of late, but Laviolette and Kevin McCarthy have done a superb job of getting Bourdon to play within his abilities and not get caught up doing things he simply can't do. I know some may think this is a big jump, but I see a lot of Dan McGillis in Bourdon.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:46 PM
orangecrush8

I think I remembered reading in the jersey thread that he bought a Biron jersey after he had not been resigned for something like $10-15 and then just switched the nameplate to Bourdon.

I could be wrong but I think that Pronger jersey used to be an Umberger, again bought for extremely cheap after he wasnt resigned, if I remember correctly

orangecrush8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Bourdon is a testament as to what good coaching will do. I've ripped a lot on Laviolette and staff as of late, but Laviolette and Kevin McCarthy have done a superb job of getting Bourdon to play within his abilities and not get caught up doing things he simply can't do. I know some may think this is a big jump, but I see a lot of Dan McGillis in Bourdon.
Yes, please.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:46 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
I think I remembered reading in the jersey thread that he bought a Biron jersey after he had not been resigned for something like $10-15 and then just switched the nameplate to Bourdon.

I could be wrong but I think that Pronger jersey used to be an Umberger, again bought for extremely cheap after he wasnt resigned, if I remember correctly
makes sense

I just did it with my old Carter jersey

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:50 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:

I based it on the preseason and I got a $10 Biron a while back and stripped it. You don't have to say no offense, you cannot offend me

Old
12-12-2011, 06:52 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post

You remember well sir. I did it to a Carter too that I got from Champs for 15

Old
12-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Considering how low Bourdon was buried in the depth chart, he's been a very pleasant surprise to date. Hands up, everyone who anticipated a 5-game winning streak with Pronger out and Bourdon and Marshall playing with the big club?
Both young kids have been playing ok. It is good to see some home grown talent including Gus playing with the big club. Defense is the hardest position to learn to play in the NHL and many a time players are inserted into a line up before they are ready. You see it across the league. There is nothing wrong with playing in the AHL learning and gaining experience until they are ready. With the extra early picks the Flyers have in the next two drafts they should really be able to stock up the farm system for the future.

Hockeypete49 is online now   Reply With Quote