HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Criticism of Briere and JVR

Old
12-12-2011, 11:49 AM
DeflatedFootball7

vCash: 500
Criticism of Briere and JVR

As I have said I've been trying to be more positive. I noticed looking through some of the game threads that Briere and JVR seem to get a lot of flak. I haven't paid much attention to their stats so I took a quick look.

Briere has 9 goals and 14 assists in 26 games.

JVR has 8 goals and 8 assists in 23.

JVR certainly has room for improvement stats wise but he has been hurt. Briere however is producing at a normal Danny Briere rate. I think their biggest flaws personally are Briere's stick infractions, and JVR is prone to defensive lapses.

So basically I have a question for you guys. When you say things like "JVR sighting" or "Damn you Hobbit do something!" etc etc. What are your expectations for them? Any input is appreciated.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Flyerfan4life

i think Briere is more a by product of what kind of linemates he has or has not

i noticed when Roo went down that Hobbit was instantly awesome with Jagr n Harts

JVR is alot like Coby that when hes switched on hes a treat to watch. but when not amped they tend to be average to flat

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:56 AM
StandingCow

JvR has been kinda "meh".

Briere on the other hand... I am not worried about him, come playoff time he goes into beast mode. That alone makes him worth his contract.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The line of JVR - Briere - Simmonds doesn't work. When they are seperated, they (all of a sudden) become the players that we all want them to be.

Crazy that.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

JVR has continued his inconsistency.

12-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Jtown

Jvr put together 2 great games and then has this most recent setback.

I llike JVR but really he needs to show some more diversity in his game. He also needs to become a lot more physical. He may be the worst forechecker Ive ever seen. He rarely capitalizes on a big hit. I think this year i want to see a little more grit from him.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:13 PM
santapore

vCash: 50
briere rules and jvr sucks...that my opinion. i been screaming almost every game this season that i would be so happy if jvr would be sold. he's game sucks so many lvl...only good side is his speed. hes pretty fast but stick handling and head is so...awful.

santapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:18 PM
youthoftoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
JVR has continued his inconsistency.
At least he is consistent.

youthoftoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
RoDu

What happened to that hungry beast mode JvR?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
When I think about it, The Bruins D were not prepared to cover JVR for 150 feet. He also Had Giroux

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
BillDineen

JVR generated 70 shots in 11 playoff games and he has 75 in 23 games this year. While it would be difficult to consistently play at his level from the playoffs, I think everyone has expected more. He needs to take people on more and drive to the net imo.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:54 PM
dats81

Quote:
Got slayed by the fat contract they were throwing at him

Seriously, there are still enough games left to turn it on but he better start showing something special soon since the fanbase is getting sour on him.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Xegiie

have to admit i didn't know who JVR is before season started, but everyone was talking about him as some hockey semi god, well i feel dissapointed as JVR isn't showing anything i'd be telling about
btw if i remember Jagr played with him in begining of season and he was draging Jagr down just my opinion

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Krishna

JVR is starting to turn into a Coburn type character..

Has all the tools in the world but doesnt always put them together..
When he does, its great to watch him..

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
McNasty

Personally I think JVR is much more of a scoring threat from the right side, I feel like when he's on the left he settles for wristers from the wing. He seems much more comfortable attacking the net when he comes down the RW. They also really need to end the experiment of him on the point during powerplays, yes he shoots hard but he looks so uncomfortable in that position.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:15 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
As I have said I've been trying to be more positive. I noticed looking through some of the game threads that Briere and JVR seem to get a lot of flak. I haven't paid much attention to their stats so I took a quick look.

Briere has 9 goals and 14 assists in 26 games.

JVR has 8 goals and 8 assists in 23.

JVR certainly has room for improvement stats wise but he has been hurt. Briere however is producing at a normal Danny Briere rate. I think their biggest flaws personally are Briere's stick infractions, and JVR is prone to defensive lapses.

So basically I have a question for you guys. When you say things like "JVR sighting" or "Damn you Hobbit do something!" etc etc. What are your expectations for them? Any input is appreciated.
We are spoiled fans. Part of the problem for JvR and Brière is that when they're not contributing offensively, they aren't really contributing at all. They are both more or less terrible defensively. JvR has some time to grow and learn there, but Brière is what he is.

Brière has picked up his game considerably after having had a putrid start to the season.

As for JvR, I guess it's kind of a good thing that we're disappointed when he's pacing for 25 25 50 numbers. I had hoped to see a more complete game from him this season though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
JVR generated 70 shots in 11 playoff games and he has 75 in 23 games this year. While it would be difficult to consistently play at his level from the playoffs, I think everyone has expected more. He needs to take people on more and drive to the net imo.
I think there's been some positive signs in his game from just prior to his injury, in this regard. He's been using his speed and strength to get towards the net more frequently than early on in the season. He definitely could do it even more though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
have to admit i didn't know who JVR is before season started, but everyone was talking about him as some hockey semi god, well i feel dissapointed as JVR isn't showing anything i'd be telling about
btw if i remember Jagr played with him in begining of season and he was draging Jagr down just my opinion
JvR started out on the left wing with Giroux and Jagr, it didn't click however. Jagr and Giroux kept the puck for themselves mostly and JvR never found his place on that line. Don't know if I would say that it was completely JvR's fault that it didn't work out perfectly. (This was when Hartnell kind of struggled as well and we had threads about putting him on the fourth line or even trading him...)

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by santapore View Post
briere rules and jvr sucks...that my opinion. i been screaming almost every game this season that i would be so happy if jvr would be sold. he's game sucks so many lvl...only good side is his speed. hes pretty fast but stick handling and head is so...awful.
Well said...

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
There were a lot of high hopes for him this season because he played out of his mind in the Boston series. If you check out his highlights you'll see where people were coming from

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I don't think JVR is that bad defensively. He's not a world beater or anything, but he's decent enough.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Clyde Donovan

I'm still amazed at how people can get on Briere. Haven't his playoff performances his 2008 shown you how valuable this guy is in the postseason. I don't care if he goes pointless throughout the regular season, he is one of the most valuable assets in the league come playoff time.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I don't think JVR is that bad defensively. He's not a world beater or anything, but he's decent enough.
It's not a matter of ability, he's just been caught watching the puck (he's not alone either) far too often lately.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:49 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

JvR would be producing a lof more with G. Hes playing decent, His linemates are not as good as creators as Giroux.

Still, i dont think his points/to games is nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Briere will be his normal self come March.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
JvR would be producing a lof more with G. Hes playing decent, His linemates are not as good as creators as Giroux.

Still, i dont think his points/to games is nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Briere will be his normal self come March.
Technically he's his normal self now.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Larry44

JVR had an injury to start the season, finally got over it, then got hurt again.

Briere had an injury early, and has been playing just fine, while breaking in an ever changing cast of wingers.

Now that he's settled in with Simmonds and Read, they are dangerous all the time.

Briere will never be the greatest defensive C, but I am finding it hard to pick on any of our players given they are on a 5 game winning streak against some credible competition and with some key injuries.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
I am seriously thinking that mode is chemically induced during the playoffs when all drug testing stops....I honestly believe this.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote