HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Information on Mattias Weinhandl

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 08:55 PM
xxIn_Flamesxx

vCash: 500
Information on Mattias Weinhandl

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you can give me some info on the injury of Mattias and how long he is expected to be out. Drafted in '99 do you guys think it is almost time to write him off as a bust or do you not think he has been given a fair chance yet? If some other information like scouting reports could be supplied that would be appreciated.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
He's been out this season because he's recovering from ankle surgery. Right now he's been rehabbing in the Isles AHL-affiliate, Bridgeport and his status for the Islanders is a little unknown. He's only got 20% vision in one of his eyes...left one I believe. He's got some great stick-handling and is a great passer. He had 6 G, 17A, and 23 PTS in 47 games. That's almost a half a point a game for his first year. He played on a line with Yashin on and off and saw his most success with him. So being paier with a skilled player is what would help him the most

~TL

Old
11-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
He's been out this season because he's recovering from ankle surgery. Right now he's been rehabbing in the Isles AHL-affiliate, Bridgeport and his status for the Islanders is a little unknown. He's only got 20% vision in one of his eyes...left one I believe. He's got some great stick-handling and is a great passer. He had 6 G, 17A, and 23 PTS in 47 games. That's almost a half a point a game for his first year. He played on a line with Yashin on and off and saw his most success with him. So being paier with a skilled player is what would help him the most
Kind of ironicallly, vision is his best asset. He's great at reading the play and seems always know where the puck is going. this gives him a surprising defensive element in addition to his passing and stickhandling.

biggest knocks on him are he's not the strongest physically and although he doesn't shy from contact or the corners, he can get pushed off the puck a little too easily. most likely, this wasn't helped at all by his ankle injury. for a projected sniper, he has yet to show enough ability to finish. he also seems rather injury prone. but he's still young and has shown more offensive talent at the NHL level than any other Isles prospect so far. however, with the first line playing like it is, it's going to be difficult to find a spot for him on the roster, especially with papineau and hunter unlikely to clear waivers. but when the first line slows down, i see him getting another shot next to Yashin to see if he can again find the chemistry they briefly shared last year.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:45 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxIn_Flamesxx
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you can give me some info on the injury of Mattias and how long he is expected to be out. Drafted in '99 do you guys think it is almost time to write him off as a bust or do you not think he has been given a fair chance yet? If some other information like scouting reports could be supplied that would be appreciated.

Write him off as a bust?

at 22 yrs old,he's played a whopping 47 nhl games.

23 pts in 47 games is pretty good for a kid in his first yr in N. America.Sterling's comments sound like he'll have a roster spot waiting once he finishes rehabbing in Bridgeport.

so no, I don't think the nyi are ready to write him off as a bust

Old
11-03-2003, 07:14 AM
NYIsles1*

From what I have read to this point he has been skating with the Tigers for a while, that update was almost a month ago. Nothing new has been written in the papers and the Islanders coverage has had nothing about him.

When this injury was first reported he was expected to miss the first two weeks of the season.

If he is close to returning December seems like a reasonable guess because he needs to get in game shape. Only question I have is will he be allowed to play for Bridgeport at all or must he report to the Isles.

When everyone is healthy Isles are going to have to make a trade.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:01 AM
Islanders4Cups

MW was the Islanders rep in the NHL Young Guns game last season at the All Star Classic. Lots of untapped talent in the is kid in my opinion.

Looking forward to his return to the team soon.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Isle Be Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxIn_Flamesxx
Bust? Absolutely not. He's made a remarkable recovery from a serious injury. Last year was his first over here in North America and he made a significant impression.

I'm not sure why his recovery from ankle surgery seems to be taking longer than anticipated. The organization is curiously quiet on the subject. That probably isn't a good sign. But I believe they think he's a significant part of their plans and justfyably so. I'm very much looking forward to his return.

Closed Thread