HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

When will we be taken seriously?

Old
12-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

vCash: 500
When will we be taken seriously?

I feel like no matter what, we are not taken seriously and nobody consideres us to be a contender or "for real." Maybe we have to beat the flyers or pens a few more times, and ofcourse keep it up the whole year. Many non rangers fans I have spoken to say we will fade out eventually and nothing has changed. I even know some Rangers fans who still arent buying in, I guess due to years of torment and pain. I dont know..we have been in the top 5 of espn.com and nhl.com power rankings for the past 5 weeks!! Whats next? We gotta win the winter classic on a national stage maybe?

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:00 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
When we do something significant in April.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:00 PM
mullichicken25

as pumped and excited as I am...its still very early

keep it up, and remain near the top of the standings and there cant be any debate about it

however, no one in their right mind can deny that the team is playing well right now, and is very hot at the momment

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:03 PM
ruckus*

I think you answered your own question.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:04 PM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 50
When we are doing good in the playoffs.

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The best way to get noticed is to win a couple of playoff rounds. Until then, there will always be doubts--quite correctly given the way the team has played in the past.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:08 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I'm watched NHL on the Fly and the guy (don't know his name) was saying he doesn't know about us in the playoffs.

Said, he doesn't know how the Rangers match up against Pittsburgh and Boston. Without Staal.

He was acting as if Staal would not be back. And this is our defense from here on out.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

No, that's a cliche. People always say that, but it's false. If you get into the second half of the season, after the All-Star break, as a top-5 team in the NHL, you are taken seriously no matter what happened before.

Too many teams start well, then collapse.

The one thing we have going for us is that we'll be adding an All Star defenseman to our team in another month or so. So even if some others cool off, adding Staal will hopefully make up for it, allowing us to continue as one of the league's elite teams.

Having 4 All Stars (Gaborik, Richards, Staal and Lundqvist) will go a long way to helping you win. Then on top of that we have great players like Girardi, McDonagh, Stepan, Anisimov, Dubinsky (he'll recover from his slump) and Callahan, as well as good depth players like Sauer, Hagelin, Feds, Boyle, Prust... that's a great team.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:09 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
^ this about sums it up...close the thread

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:10 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
No, that's a cliche. People always say that, but it's false. If you get into the second half of the season, after the All-Star break, as a top-5 team in the NHL, you are taken seriously no matter what happened before.

Too many teams start well, then collapse.

The one thing we have going for us is that we'll be adding an All Star defenseman to our team in another month or so. So even if some others cool off, adding Staal will hopefully make up for it, allowing us to continue as one of the league's elite teams.

Having 4 All Stars (Gaborik, Richards, Staal and Lundqvist) will go a long way to helping you win. Then on top of that we have great players like Girardi, McDonagh, Stepan, Anisimov, Dubinsky (he'll recover from his slump) and Callahan, as well as good depth players like Sauer, Hagelin, Feds, Boyle, Prust... that's a great team.
It's all for naught unless you play well in the playoffs.

People don't take the Caps seriously, and they've won their division for the past 4 years.

Old
12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:

People don't take the Caps seriously, and they've won their division for the past 4 years.
Oh, they do. The Caps are listed as cup contenders on a year to year basis by NHL fans.

12-12-2011, 04:14 PM
WeWillWinTonight

As long as we win I dont care what anyone thinks and I'm sure the players feel this way as well. That's kinda all that really matters

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:

Yet I always see them on contender lists. Meanwhile, Tampa was one goal away from the Finals, and started this season awful, and suddenly they're a permanently awful team.

Hit the all star break 5th or better in the conference. That'd help.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:16 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Oh, they do. The Caps are listed as cup contenders on a year to year basis by NHL fans.
They shouldn't be listed as cup contenders, although they should be "conference" contenders.

What I'm trying to say is that a team who isn't doing anything in the playoffs shouldn't be considered a real threat outside of the regular season (which is really all that matters). Non-Ranger fans will probably start to point to the Rangers as a "great" team if they can keep this going for another few weeks, but I really don't care what other people think about the Rangers (and I don't see why anyone else does to honest). I just want to win.

Old
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

No one has a reason to yet. We have had really good starts post-lockout only to fizzle out towards the end of the season.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:22 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

When we finally don't have the least games played and our point total is only behind boston for second in the east.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
No one has a reason to yet. We have had really good starts post-lockout only to fizzle out towards the end of the season.
Not really correct. Normally they'd start struggling by now, be mediocre up until the Allstar break, then have a strong finish. Key will be remaining consistent

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
They shouldn't be listed as cup contenders, although they should be "conference" contenders.

A little before you were born, Detroit was regarded as a permanent choker.
  • They lost in the first round in 1990-91.
  • They had the best record in the West in 1991-92, then got swept in the second round.
  • They lost in 1993 in the first round despite having home-ice advantage.
  • In 1994, they again were the #1 in the West, but lost to the #8 Sharks, solidifying their reputation as a choker.

Then in 1995, they went to the Finals and got swept by the Debbies. Considering their past history, everyone wrote it off as another Detroit choke.

There was also a 40+ year no-Cup streak.

Then came 1995-96 and the Wings proceeded to win 4 Stanley Cups in the next 12 seasons.

LESSON: Never write off a team just because it choked a couple times. It proves nothing and they will learn from their past mistakes.

Old
12-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Yeah, but none of our streaks were this long. It's one thing to have a good October. It's another to be closing in on Christmas and you are still a great team.

Old
12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
A little before you were born, Detroit was regarded as a permanent choker.
  • They lost in the first round in 1990-91.
  • They had the best record in the West in 1991-92, then got swept in the second round.
  • They lost in 1993 in the first round despite having home-ice advantage.
  • In 1994, they again were the #1 in the West, but lost to the #8 Sharks, solidifying their reputation as a choker.

Then in 1995, they went to the Finals and got swept by the Debbies. Considering their past history, everyone wrote it off as another Detroit choke.

There was also a 40+ year no-Cup streak.

Then came 1995-96 and the Wings proceeded to win 4 Stanley Cups in the next 12 seasons.

LESSON: Never write off a team just because it choked a couple times. It proves nothing and they will learn from their past mistakes.
I don't think anyone is writing anyone off...just saying you get respect by being consistently good for a number of years and/or doing something in the playoffs...call it the Marty Schottenheimer effect...or for the younger NFL fans the Norv Turner effect.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

When we stop having threads called "This is a bad hockey team."

Maybe I'll just go bump that for a laugh...

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:59 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I don't think anyone is writing anyone off...just saying you get respect by being consistently good for a number of years and/or doing something in the playoffs...call it the Marty Schottenheimer effect...or for the younger NFL fans the Norv Turner effect.
Pretty much this. It's the reason why the Jets get a lot of respect from other team/fans. They went to back-to-back AFC Title games. Once can be a fluke, twice is a trend.

This team is going to have to make the 2nd round this year AT LEAST to be seen as an up-and-coming team to contend for the cup. A lot of people think if they make the ECF, they'd be playing above their level. I for one, at season's beginning, thought that would be the case as well. RIGHT NOW, I'd say we have as good of a shot to come out of the East as any team out there.

We need a couple pieces though, one is Marc Staal. He will be need to play at his elite level in the playoffs. Another would be another top 6/9 forward. Think of someone in the mold of Vinny Prospal, preferably younger than him. Someone who can be plugged into the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd lines and play at that level CONSISTENTLY. Of course, a player of that quality or better would be just as good.

We'll gain respect from analysts/other fans later in the season, if we're near the top of the Atlantic/East/NHL. Right now, it's anyone's guess to where we'll be.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:11 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

30 games is nothing. If they're a top team come the playoffs, people will know. Besides, who cares? The results on the ice matter, not what biased people think.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:12 PM
outlaw52
"what i do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I'm watched NHL on the Fly and the guy (don't know his name) was saying he doesn't know about us in the playoffs.

Said, he doesn't know how the Rangers match up against Pittsburgh and Boston. Without Staal.

He was acting as if Staal would not be back. And this is our defense from here on out.
lets say for arguments sake staal is lost for the year. that would be horrible yes, but not the end all for us. forget mdz mcd and girardi for a sec..woywitka is playing a solid sound defensive game consistantly.emminger has stepped up his game nicely and the more i see stralman the more i like him. his skating and passing are outstanding. if he would take the body more often i would not have a complaint. . hopefully both staal and sauer will be back soon but right know im not panicking just yet i think we are fine. we are taken seriously where it matters most. on the ice. im taking this one game at a time and from where im sitting right now all is good.LGR

outlaw52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:29 PM
ruckus*

A few things from reading this...

People can get upset because of people's skepticism about whether or not we can compete with the Penguins and Flyers, but history has shown that to be a fact. Now, if you want to make the argument that head-to-head we can compete with them that's a different story. And I agree with that. But the problem is outsiders don't look at it that way. They look at it as an entire body of results and those teams have been head and shoulders above us over the past few years. Comparing us head-to-head is interesting though.

The other thing I have an issue with is everyone who chalks up Staal coming back as a given, as if any of us know. It's like because the guy is lightly skating for the past month people think it's a guarantee he has no set backs, he's back before the playoffs, and he's typical Marc Staal. I'm guessing no one paid attention to the whole Crosby thing, and certainly weren't paying attention to it today, right?

This is a serious situation, and I think the Crosby thing means it's going to be even longer for Staal. And when it does come back we better pray he doesn't get his clock cleaned. All it takes is one time. Personally I'm pretty worried about the length of Sauer's as well. Haven't heard a thing about that. I know, I know he's day-to-day. Remember how accurate their reports were about Staal at the start of the year?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote