HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ducks at Predators 12/10 - Highly Questionable

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2011, 11:26 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Did not know there was a "trolling" rule on these boards! I guess I will have to be careful as well as I watch alot of games and enjoy the banter after. Every once in a while, I throw my "2 cents" in!
Congrat to the Preds!
Detroit (another of my favorite teams) also won tonight, hammering the Jets.....so they are still up in the "tight" standings.
yep. found this out at the cost of a couple of infractions last season. say whatever you want on the main board but if you talk ,um, provocatively, about a team on their board, particularly in their GDT when they have just played your team, and you may very well get dinged.

Old
12-11-2011, 09:17 AM
RaiderDoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Tootoo is notorious for it, and has lost my respect a while ago. IMO he needs to start being a man out there, this is a man's sport. If he gets tapped by someone and acts like if he was slashed to death after he should have just got a penalty. Its just embarrassing.

And why was my last post deleted? I asked the same question. It was a serious question.
That pretty much describes Perry getting bumped by Weber.

For a second there, I thought there had to be a sniper in the crowd. There's no way Perry went down like that unless he took a bullet.

Then, I just realized it was Corey P#@$% Perry.

Old
12-11-2011, 10:08 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Tootoo is notorious for it, and has lost my respect a while ago. IMO he needs to start being a man out there, this is a man's sport. If he gets tapped by someone and acts like if he was slashed to death after he should have just got a penalty. Its just embarrassing.

And why was my last post deleted? I asked the same question. It was a serious question.
At least he's not a dirty player like Perry. Remember the stick to Rinne's crotch?

And as the poster above points out, Perry laying on the ice after a hard bump wasn't embellishment?

Old
12-11-2011, 10:41 AM
token grinder

in all fairness, if weber bumped you, wouldn't you lay there? I would think the slightest bump would hurt.

And aren't you supposed to act dead in front of a bear so he leaves you alone? I think corey perry was actually using his brain there.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:07 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

w/r/t the Weber/Perry incident, it looked to me like Shea was skating to cover the left side while Suter went for the puck, and Perry was skating across. Incidental contact. If that is interference on Weber it has to be interference on Perry, too. Just because that... well, I won't call him what I want to, so I'll say "guy"... just because that guy fell to the ice after running into Weber doesn't mean he was interfered with. There was a similar play later in the game when a Ducks player collided with a Preds player (I was at a friends house, so I didn't have the luxury of DVD and rewind to catch the names) with no call. The refs saw Perry go down, and they made a call. Absolutely terrible officiating on that play.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:09 AM
bananaslug

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
At least he's not a dirty player like Perry. Remember the stick to Rinne's crotch?

And as the poster above points out, Perry laying on the ice after a hard bump wasn't embellishment?
I'm a fan of both teams and I get that there's obvious bad blood between a lot of you guys and the ducks and understand you have valid reasons for hating the guy, but I don't get why based on one play Perry is a dirty player. Tootoo has more suspensions than Perry and way more questionable plays.

I truly don't know where this reputation for Perry as a "cheap shot artist" came from I mean if u took as much abuse from goalies as he did in front of the net it would get under your skin and retaliate. Constant slashes to the back of the legs by goalies, constant cross checks by the other teams defenders, rarely a penalty will get called for any of that, it would just be frustrating. Even when he was cup checked by a goalie people say he deserved it, but if he does it back, its a cheap shot.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
I'm a fan of both teams and I get that there's obvious bad blood between a lot of you guys and the ducks and understand you have valid reasons for hating the guy, but I don't get why based on one play Perry is a dirty player. Tootoo has more suspensions than Perry and way more questionable plays.

I truly don't know where this reputation for Perry as a "cheap shot artist" came from I mean if u took as much abuse from goalies as he did in front of the net it would get under your skin and retaliate. Constant slashes to the back of the legs by goalies, constant cross checks by the other teams defenders, rarely a penalty will get called for any of that, it would just be frustrating. Even when he was cup checked by a goalie people say he deserved it, but if he does it back, its a cheap shot.
I think Perry was a far 'dirtier' player years ago than he has been for the past 2-3. Regardless, both players have an edge to their game, both rely on getting under the other team's skin, and both sometimes skirt the line as to what is acceptable in a hockey game. Is it a wonder why the two fan bases loathe each player, respectively?

Personally, they're both players I'd take on my team any day.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:32 AM
mighty all the way

Perry is one of the toughest players in the league. He gets up after everything, if you watch Perry he gets hit the most, gets abused the most. If you watched the Blues game, just a game ago. Thats his normal level of abuse that he takes, he was out a shift last game and had to go to the locker room, yet he still came back. Perry wasn't embellishing anything, Weber is a big guy and that collision was a big one. Saying Perry was embellishing there is almost as saying the Kariya was embellishing when he was hit by Scott Stevens.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

To be fair, the stick between Rinne's leg incident didn't just happen once, and he did it to other players, too. A lot of players take a ton of abuse from goalies without resorting to that sort of childish crap.

Also, to say he is one of the toughest players in the league is quite the stretch. Most players in the NHL are tough people. They have to be to play hockey at this level. Perry certainly isn't one of the toughest among them. Coming back from the locker room after a minor injury happens all of the time. Kevin Klein often plays the next shift after being shaken up (without going to the locker room), and I don't think any Preds fan would put him among the toughest in the league.

My issue with Perry is all of the little crap he likes to do behind the play or after the whistle. I understand that it's to try to draw a retaliation, but it's frustrating that he can get away with crosschecks and spears and slashes, etc, but then the other team gets the call because the official missed the original act. And then he doesn't back it up by dropping the gloves (unless it's with someone like Pavel Datsyuk)... he backs it up by scoring. It's the ultimate in pestering.

edit: to add, Weber's collision with Perry wasn't even close to the Steven's hit on Kariya. Kariya's head was targeted and hit hard. Perry and Weber ran into each other, and Perry's head was never hit. I'm not saying Perry necessarily embellished (I think he laid on the ice not because he was hurt, but because he wanted to make sure a ref noticed, which is technically embellishing), but those hits are not even close to comparable.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:51 AM
bananaslug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
w/r/t the Weber/Perry incident, it looked to me like Shea was skating to cover the left side while Suter went for the puck, and Perry was skating across. Incidental contact. If that is interference on Weber it has to be interference on Perry, too. Just because that... well, I won't call him what I want to, so I'll say "guy"... just because that guy fell to the ice after running into Weber doesn't mean he was interfered with. There was a similar play later in the game when a Ducks player collided with a Preds player (I was at a friends house, so I didn't have the luxury of DVD and rewind to catch the names) with no call. The refs saw Perry go down, and they made a call. Absolutely terrible officiating on that play.
There's no doubt that weber stepped up on Perry, it wasn't incidental in any means. Perry was looking behind him, Weber anticipated the pass and stepped up but the pass never came and Weber committed to the hit. Not a cheapshot, honest mistake by Weber but deserved 2 min for that one. Nothing incidental about it but definitely worth the 2 min for the Preds as it made Perry think twice before accepting a pass in the neutral zone

Old
12-11-2011, 11:58 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'd have to watch it again to properly argue it. Like I said, I was at a friend's house watching so I didn't have my usual luxury of rewinding and re-watching during the commercials. As far as I remember the puck was already well into the Pred's zone when the contact was made, and the two collided in the neutral zone.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:10 PM
mighty all the way

Quote:
To be fair, the stick between Rinne's leg incident didn't just happen once, and he did it to other players, too. A lot of players take a ton of abuse from goalies without resorting to that sort of childish crap.

Also, to say he is one of the toughest players in the league is quite the stretch. Most players in the NHL are tough people. They have to be to play hockey at this level. Perry certainly isn't one of the toughest among them. Coming back from the locker room after a minor injury happens all of the time. Kevin Klein often plays the next shift after being shaken up (without going to the locker room), and I don't think any Preds fan would put him among the toughest in the league.

My issue with Perry is all of the little crap he likes to do behind the play or after the whistle. I understand that it's to try to draw a retaliation, but it's frustrating that he can get away with crosschecks and spears and slashes, etc, but then the other team gets the call because the official missed the original act. And then he doesn't back it up by dropping the gloves (unless it's with someone like Pavel Datsyuk)... he backs it up by scoring. It's the ultimate in pestering.

edit: to add, Weber's collision with Perry wasn't even close to the Steven's hit on Kariya. Kariya's head was targeted and hit hard. Perry and Weber ran into each other, and Perry's head was never hit. I'm not saying Perry necessarily embellished (I think he laid on the ice not because he was hurt, but because he wanted to make sure a ref noticed, which is technically embellishing), but those hits are not even close to comparable.
He doesn't fight? He has 20 career fights. He's a first line player that is not afraid to fight. He backs it up alright with both fighting and scoring.

And Perry has been hit on between the legs by a lot of goalies too. I wouldn't be surprised to thats where he got it from. haha.

Old
12-11-2011, 01:29 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
He doesn't fight? He has 20 career fights. He's a first line player that is not afraid to fight. He backs it up alright with both fighting and scoring.

And Perry has been hit on between the legs by a lot of goalies too. I wouldn't be surprised to thats where he got it from. haha.
as long as you admit perry does cheap crap, we will concede that tootoo does cheap crap.... but every team has a player or two like that, so if we wanna get rid of them, i'll certainly agree to be rid of tootoo if you guys get rid of perry

Old
12-11-2011, 01:57 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Does that mean Blum can start stomping on people's feet with his skates because it has happened to him before?

I don't buy that type of argument. If it happens to him, that's too bad, but it doesn't mean it's ok to do it.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:24 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Spearing is NEVER acceptable. Defending an indefensible act .... wow. Nichol did it as a Pred and deserved every second of his suspension. Ovie should have been called for his spear even though the reaction was embellished. Perry delivers a lot of extracurricular shots away from the play to include spears to the groin. He pulls similar stunts when playing against other teams.

As for Tootoo, he's been known to leave his feet to deliver a hit and leveled Robidas with a gloved punch (not that Robidas was about to drop his as he rushed Toots).

Old
12-11-2011, 08:20 PM
WartracePred

Tootoo admittedly has run a few guys over the years. I think he has cleaned up his game quite a bit over the past 2 seasons. If the worst you can say about him is that he embellishes penalties, you aren't saying much. I've seen clips of him running guys and looked past it because he's a Pred. Thankfully, he doesn't need to play as aggressively today.

I can't look past using your stick as a weapon. When SOB carved up someone last year, I was done with him. I'm glad O'Brien is no longer a Pred.

Old
12-12-2011, 09:32 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
I mean if u took as much abuse from goalies as he did in front of the net it would get under your skin and retaliate. Constant slashes to the back of the legs by goalies, constant cross checks by the other teams defenders, rarely a penalty will get called for any of that, it would just be frustrating. Even when he was cup checked by a goalie people say he deserved it, but if he does it back, its a cheap shot.
Patric Hornqvist takes all the same abuse and doesn't cheap shot.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:00 AM
mighty all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Spearing is NEVER acceptable. Defending an indefensible act .... wow. Nichol did it as a Pred and deserved every second of his suspension. Ovie should have been called for his spear even though the reaction was embellished. Perry delivers a lot of extracurricular shots away from the play to include spears to the groin. He pulls similar stunts when playing against other teams.

As for Tootoo, he's been known to leave his feet to deliver a hit and leveled Robidas with a gloved punch (not that Robidas was about to drop his as he rushed Toots).
I don't understand who speared who though? If you are talking about McMillan, he didn't spear him. He touch him with his stick. It was barely a tap. Not a spear.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:03 AM
token grinder

Quote:
I don't understand who speared who though? If you are talking about McMillan, he didn't spear him. He touch him with his stick. It was barely a tap. Not a spear.
I think the crux of it was perry's spear to rinne's groin in the playoffs

Old
12-12-2011, 10:04 AM
mighty all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
as long as you admit perry does cheap crap, we will concede that tootoo does cheap crap.... but every team has a player or two like that, so if we wanna get rid of them, i'll certainly agree to be rid of tootoo if you guys get rid of perry
Perry does cheap crap. A lot when younger though, when he didn't have as much talent. The stuff I don't like though is embellishment. I can stand the other stuff, because thats the type of player they are. But embellishment is just embarrasing and unsportsmanlike. Theres a difference playing on the line and being unsportsmanlike. There's a reason that Maxime Lappiere isn't on the ducks anymore, the team and Carlyle didn't like his style of embellishing calls and they told BM to get rid of him.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:05 AM
mighty all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think the crux of it was perry's spear to rinne's groin in the playoffs
Is there a video of it? I need to refresh my memory.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Predator119

http://www.section303.com/video-time...ch-other-13750

Old
12-12-2011, 01:35 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
were you there? no? then how can you say it wasn't a spear. Hell, I was there and I dunno - I'd say if it was it sure isn't the worst I've ever seen . But McMillan is a P*&^y and proved it. It was a clean hit, and he wasn't man enough to get on with the play or challenge him - he stuck a stick in his gut. That's bush - anyone who ever played learned it from the youngest of ages - you don't use it as a weapon.y

As for Perry - just a couple of shifts before he embellished when he ran into Weber - behind the play he cross-checked someone - I think it was Hornqvist. Weber happened to have been behind the play, saw it, said something to the ref who shrugged.

Old
12-12-2011, 04:10 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

It baffles me how some cheap crap is ok, but embellishing isn't. Either it's all ok or it all isn't. Embellishing is crap. I hate it. Putting the shaft of your stick between the legs of a player and lifting is also crap. I hate it just as much. How is using your stick as a weapon cheap but acceptable while going to the ice easier than you should to draw a penalty is shameful and is a reason players don't play for teams?

Also, by the book what Perry did to Rinne wasn't a spear. It is, however, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, and it should have been treated as such. A spear has to be a stabbing motion using the tip of the stick blade. Using the shaft of your stick as a weapon falls under Unsportsmanlike Conduct if it isn't a crosscheck or a high stick.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
mighty all the way

Quote:
It baffles me how some cheap crap is ok, but embellishing isn't. Either it's all ok or it all isn't. Embellishing is crap. I hate it. Putting the shaft of your stick between the legs of a player and lifting is also crap. I hate it just as much. How is using your stick as a weapon cheap but acceptable while going to the ice easier than you should to draw a penalty is shameful and is a reason players don't play for teams?

Also, by the book what Perry did to Rinne wasn't a spear. It is, however, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, and it should have been treated as such. A spear has to be a stabbing motion using the tip of the stick blade. Using the shaft of your stick as a weapon falls under Unsportsmanlike Conduct if it isn't a crosscheck or a high stick.
Yes, that play was very unsportsmanlike. And was embarrassing. For the league MVP to do that, is shameful. I think embellishing bothers me a lot, is because it is easy to control. You chose to do, where as the other stuff is in the heat of the moment. But yes both are wrong but I just hate embellishing a lot more.

Closed Thread