HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will we be taken seriously?

Old
12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Yeah, but none of our streaks were this long. It's one thing to have a good October. It's another to be closing in on Christmas and you are still a great team.
Weren't we #1 in points in the whole league through December in the 05-06 season? I don't really remember.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:40 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Many non rangers fans
You answered your own question ^^^^....

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 05:45 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I'm watched NHL on the Fly and the guy (don't know his name) was saying he doesn't know about us in the playoffs.

Said, he doesn't know how the Rangers match up against Pittsburgh and Boston. Without Staal.

He was acting as if Staal would not be back. And this is our defense from here on out.
NO,hes acting as if NYR is nothing without staal,apparently he is very wrong... Im sick of all this Staal being hyped up,dude is over rated .Girardi and mcDonagh are just as good,probably better.Enoughs Enough.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
We're doing well, but come on it's early. I still think if this team wants to be taken "seriously" they have to get a scorer *cough* Bobby Ryan *cough*. You can't have a camp invite and a waiver pick up as your second line lw and on your pp unit

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

We will get real respect when we accomplish something of note. There hasn't yet been a point this season where we've looked at the standings for more than one day and seen the Rangers at the top. I know, I know... they've played less games than everyone. The point remains the same. The Rangers have been hovering between 4th and 6th for a while now. If they're in 4th or leading their division come February, that's at least a small accomplishment... although they led their division at the Olympic break in 05-06, so it could still be meaningless. Why should the Rangers record right now garner much respect when this is a league that saw Atlanta as one of the best teams in the conference heading into the New Year last season?

Well, all of that and this.

#4 http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings (last week #2)
#3 http://tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/ (last week, this week's isn't up yet)
#3 http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...vid=nhl-search (#2 last week)
#3 http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...ankings_dec12/ (#2 last week)

THN bizarrely has us falling 3 spots into 9th...

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:05 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
We're doing well, but come on it's early. I still think if this team wants to be taken "seriously" they have to get a scorer *cough* Bobby Ryan *cough*. You can't have a camp invite and a waiver pick up as your second line lw and on your pp unit
Who cares if Fedotenko was a camp invite? He's only the 2nd line LW because Dubinsky has his head up his ass. Tampa won the cup with Feds on Richards' line, too - is it ideal, no, but it's far from terrible. He can put up 10+ goals and 30+ points and is excellent along the boards.

They just need a solid top-6 player ala Tuomo Rutuu. They don't necessarily need a 35+ goal player.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Jim Ramsay

I really don't know why people are seeking respect from other fans about this team. I'd rather just go about our business and open some eyes at the end of the season.... They've already shown that they can beat good teams (Pens, Flyers, Caps, Sharks, Panthers) I dont know why people need some kind of recognition from other people.

I actually cringe when I see people post ranger topics on the main forum.... We are tied with playing the least amount of games and we are sitting great point wise. If people don't want to recognize what this team is doing then they are gonna be caught by suprise at the end of the season

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
NO,hes acting as if NYR is nothing without staal,apparently he is very wrong... Im sick of all this Staal being hyped up,dude is over rated .Girardi and mcDonagh are just as good,probably better.Enoughs Enough.
You have every right to think that, even though you're very, very wrong.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:27 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You have every right to think that, even though you're very, very wrong.
Im vERY WRONg and according to who??? YOU,Lmao...

There are lots of people out there who think he is opver rated.My partner at work a fan for over 30 years (about 42 years old),knows the game in and outmplayers ,drafts picks etc... Also feels he is way to hyped..every one has opinions,kid.I respect yours but its ,VERY WRONG.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Vitto79

I think alot of us saw the potential we just didnt know if or when it may come out

in G - Hank..........He's the freaking King.......Biron s a sold back up and team guy........so in G I think we can agree its Cup caliber

on D Staal our best Dman is out. yet McDonaugh has stepped up huge and Girardi is proving he's not just Staals D partner.

Del Zotto is chipping in and playing descent D. Sauer has been hurt alot but he's a rock when he's in........team guys are chipping in........Eminger has stepped up ........Woywitka has not made many mistakes and heck even Stalman just put together good games.

I could go on but the same goes to the F group, everyone is chipping in............they just have a confident team so far.......even callups like Hagelin and Mitchell have stepped up given opportunity

who cares what the rest of the league thinks

oh yea and Brad Richards makes a huge difference on overal team depth

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Leetch66

First things first...just make the playoffs ! I'm not looking any further ahead than that . We also need to beat a good team really bad...Boston with Thomas in the net . I would also like to see us lay a hammering on Toronto and especially Montreal who made us look ridiculous last season or the year before when we blew a 5-0 lead and lost . Get that accomplished along with hammering the Flyers in the outdoor game...and I'm a believer !!!

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Im vERY WRONg and according to who??? YOU,Lmao...

There are lots of people out there who think he is opver rated.My partner at work a fan for over 30 years (about 42 years old),knows the game in and outmplayers ,drafts picks etc... Also feels he is way to hyped..every one has opinions,kid.I respect yours but its ,VERY WRONG.
1. BRB isn't a kid, he's 30 (or at least close to it).

2. McDonagh isn't as good as Staal. And I love McDonagh and am not the biggest fan of Staal.

3. This may come off as rude, but it's sincere advice...try and put spaces after a comma, it's pretty hard to make out your post as it is.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Who cares if Fedotenko was a camp invite? He's only the 2nd line LW because Dubinsky has his head up his ass. Tampa won the cup with Feds on Richards' line, too - is it ideal, no, but it's far from terrible. He can put up 10+ goals and 30+ points and is excellent along the boards.

They just need a solid top-6 player ala Tuomo Rutuu. They don't necessarily need a 35+ goal player.
Who cares? I care, I was making a point to show that we need more talent because you can't have, like you said, a 30+ point guy as your second line lw plain and simple. And what if Dubinsky continues to have his head up his ass? I'll reiterate my point, the team needs another scoring prescence, especially on the power play. I like Stepan, and I like MDZ, but they both cannot be the point men. Neither shoots enough, nor do they have a good shots it's not their game which is fine but eventually teams will collapse down low because they know the point shot isn't there.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:37 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

You really shouldn't care how a player was acquired so long as they fill their role nicely and play well.

I agree that Stepan shouldn't be at the point. Having two pass first players on the point doesn't make much sense. I'd throw Stralman or McDonagh out there.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I really don't take us seriously lol

I feel like we're so good and our record shows it, but it feels too good to be true. Everything's just rolling right now. Chemistry is through the roof.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
When we do something significant in April.
This. Despite the fact that we have been a playoff team 4 of 5 seasons since the lock out, we have won what, 2 playoff series since and have snuck in as a 7th or 8th seed most of the time. Hell last year we had to rely on Tampa winning to make the playoffs.

If we finish high in the standings this year and make it to the ECF, then we will be taken seriously as a contender. Anything after that just cements it further. That is what we need to do IMO.

Also, most around the league don't even know what our real potential as a team is yet, sans our world class top 3 goalie. Hell most of us don't even know if we are playing up to our potential, if there is more to be seen, or if we are playing above our means right now. Do we play even better once Marc Staal comes back? Are we playing way above our element right now and maybe take a step back until Staal comes back? Are we playing at our best level regardless of Marc Staal? Does Staal even have a serious impact on the team with how well we are playing (I think yes).

Alot of unknowns right now. I think don't think we are playing above our level but can we really get any better then what 14-3-1 in the last 18 games? We would all hope so just for the sake of being a fan but with the way this team has fought so far this season and bounced back after losses or even coming close to coming back in the Toronto after being down 3-0, no one really knows. Id say very few of us expected the start we have, even fewer of us expected our defense to play this well sans Staal, and I don't think any one could have expected us to play this well without Staal and Dubinsky having 1 goal.

If some one were to tell us at the start of the season Staal still wouldn't be back after 1/3 of the season and Dubinsky would have 1 goal in 27 games we would say maybe slightly over .500.

Despite being only 23 I can remember watching Rangers games as young as 8 years old with my dad. Just ending the golden cup era and entering the dark era... so at this point I can't remember being a better time being a Rangers fan. I thought Callahan would be a great captain but I never knew he would step it up and have 12 goals so far and be on pace for 36 this year. Girardi playing the most minutes of ANY defenseman in the league over your Chara's and Webers? Double yoo tee eff mate.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:41 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I really don't take us seriously lol

I feel like we're so good and our record shows it, but it feels too good to be true. Everything's just rolling right now. Chemistry is through the roof.
Same, I'm just waiting for everything to fall apart.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
I know, right?

There's nothing to it, but enjoy it.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
See and IMO thats a valid worry considering the Rangers history. We have been let down more then any other franchise in hockey so... yeah. Im hoping that our big losing streak over thanksgiving break, aka the 2 games to MTL and Florida were our last snide.

Even in the Toronto game despite going down 3-0 we made it very close. We have been able to win close games when needed, but not just win close games, win games by a big margin AND win them in regulation. Big difference between this year and years past. Last year we would be in Jerseys situation except maybe in the 8th spot but with like 6 shoot out wins.

Im hoping our dominating style of play and convincing wins in regulation show that this team is past the point of barely closing out games and winning by a nut hair in a shoot out. Our young players are entering their prime, our stars are still in their prime and playing up to their contracts, and Biron's fantastic play as a back up will hopefully keep this team rolling and keep momentum up if Lundqvist needs a rest here and there.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:43 PM
trilobyte

I actually do believe that when a gigantic slice of the hockey-watching pie see the Rangers lose, it affects the perception.

I know Leafs fans that know nothing about the Rangers, but after seeing their team beat the Rangers (handily I might add, even if the Leafs aren't great) they think "what's all this talk about the Rangers being good, I didn't see it". Same with that horrible game at Bell Centre. Or the early game losing to the Senators.
Lots of the talking heads in Canada fixate on Canadian teams. They are not really truly open-minded, and to be honest, it's not like they see every game by every team.

All I am saying is that I wish the Rangers could smoke the Leafs or Habs or whomever some night on a nationwide CBC broadcast, but it never seems to happen.

Go Rangers!!

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:00 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
I feel like no matter what, we are not taken seriously and nobody consideres us to be a contender or "for real." Maybe we have to beat the flyers or pens a few more times, and ofcourse keep it up the whole year. Many non rangers fans I have spoken to say we will fade out eventually and nothing has changed. I even know some Rangers fans who still arent buying in, I guess due to years of torment and pain. I dont know..we have been in the top 5 of espn.com and nhl.com power rankings for the past 5 weeks!! Whats next? We gotta win the winter classic on a national stage maybe?
The Rangers need to be a top team at least two years in a row in the regular season. Then after that, make a run to at least the CF.

That should do the trick.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:09 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

I worry about the big wins inflating our sense of how this team is doing scoring-wise. Last year we were 16th but that wasn't indicative of our ability to score goals, because in some games, especially against the Caps we would get up big quickly and they would give up. We scored a lot and it inflated our goal scoring numbers.

What's nice now is that we're still playing the grinding style, we're not necessarily grinding these wins out. Being able to win 2-1, 1-0, etc. is great and necessary but it wears on the team and in my opinion cost us last year because we had to work hard just to win.

Now we have the skill and ability to put a team away and give guys some rest. We can score 3-4 goals per game because our offense is much improved and this in turn takes some of the pressure off the defense. We had to be amazing defensively because otherwise we would lose.

I don't feel like I'm explaining this properly (Finals Week Stress) but hopefully you guys understand what I mean.

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Dicks Sporting Goods is taking us pretty damn serious by posting up a whole lot of winter classic gear.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:14 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

When we prove we're consistent and can by the first round.

If we have multiple 2+ win streaks this season, that's a good sign, but it'll take more than just a good regular season.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:57 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz21 View Post
I worry about the big wins inflating our sense of how this team is doing scoring-wise. Last year we were 16th but that wasn't indicative of our ability to score goals, because in some games, especially against the Caps we would get up big quickly and they would give up. We scored a lot and it inflated our goal scoring numbers.

What's nice now is that we're still playing the grinding style, we're not necessarily grinding these wins out. Being able to win 2-1, 1-0, etc. is great and necessary but it wears on the team and in my opinion cost us last year because we had to work hard just to win.

Now we have the skill and ability to put a team away and give guys some rest. We can score 3-4 goals per game because our offense is much improved and this in turn takes some of the pressure off the defense. We had to be amazing defensively because otherwise we would lose.

I don't feel like I'm explaining this properly (Finals Week Stress) but hopefully you guys understand what I mean.
This is pretty much the way I see it, too. There is now the luxury of thinking that the whole game does not hang on having to never make a mistake. If all a team can do is be 100% perfect on the grunt stuff, it's going to be hard to keep it up. It won't be sustainable. Changing up the complexion of the team is where it's at. Just seeing the extra threat that a guy like Hagelin, and a Del Zotto who has somehow managed to be a defenseman while not castrating himself offensively (Michael Del Zotto has shown true guts to do what he has done) just makes the team better. They will look better all over the ice.

So many NHL fans just don't see much Rangers game minutes like we do, so they don't get it.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote