HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How to fix the horrible PP?

Old
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
sabrezombie

vCash: 500
Keeping pucks in at the blueline would help tremendously too. Too many times we build up some pressure only for it to be released by a shot/dump that goes around the boards and either no one is there to keep it in or they just don't keep it in.

sabrezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:09 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Scott Arniel was an assistant for 3 years here.

02-03 --> our PP was ranked 20th
03-04 --> our PP was ranked 19th

05-06 --> our PP was ranked 3rd with a 21.2% conversion rate.

Our success that year had much more to do with defenders struggling to adapt to the new rules than Arniel suddenly getting it as a PP coach.

Our PP since Arniel's departure

06-07 --> 17th
07-08 --> 14th
08-09 --> 7th with a 21% conversion rate
09-10 --> 17th
10-11 --> 9th with a 19.4 % conversion rate.

Since Arniel's departure we've had two season either at the same conversion rate or not far off. Overall in the previous 5 season we've had 2 good years and 3 poor years. With Arniel it was 1 good year and 2 poor years. If we struggle for the rest of this year then our ratio of successful PP years to poor ones will be the same as it was with Arniel. If we turn it around then we will have a 1 to 1 ratio of successful PPs to poor ones. Obviously thats better than the Arniel days.
Fair enough. And in all honesty, I don't think Arniel would help. Just trying to come up with ideas and stimulate discussion.

I'm bored.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:19 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Fair enough. And in all honesty, I don't think Arniel would help. Just trying to come up with ideas and stimulate discussion.

I'm bored.
A few years back I thought the same thing about Arniel. I did some research on our numbers with him and was surprised at what I found.

As for the PP. At the end of the day the players need to move their feet, make smarter decisions and match the Pkers intensity. One of the few things Harry Neale talks about that I agree with is the curious nature of the PP. Even teams with incredible talent and guys with proven success on the PP can struggle mightily to convert. Generally speaking even the best PP's only convert 1 out of every 4 chances. In most cases its a mental thing. The Pkers are generally more desperate than the PP unit because they have to be. The PP guys have to match that intensity in order to succeed. Many times they let up mentally because of the "advantage" they have with an extra attacker.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:23 PM
DuklaNation

Try Ehhoff,Pominville,Vanek, Adam, Kassian at least once.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:24 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
A few years back I thought the same thing about Arniel. I did some research on our numbers with him and was surprised at what I found.

As for the PP. At the end of the day the players need to move their feet, make smarter decisions and match the Pkers intensity. One of the few things Harry Neale talks about that I agree with is the curious nature of the PP. Even teams with incredible talent and guys with proven success on the PP can struggle mightily to convert. Generally speaking even the best PP's only convert 1 out of every 4 chances. In most cases its a mental thing. The Pkers are generally more desperate than the PP unit because they have to be. The PP guys have to match that intensity in order to succeed. Many times they let up mentally because of the "advantage" they have with an extra attacker.
That's the thing that I always heard: If you have the man advantage, you need to work harder than you would at even strength.

This team does not come close to that.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Guess I'll jump on the Grags hate-wagon and say get him off the PP. Leopold isn't by any stretch of the imagination a great offensive defenseman, but when he's back there I feel like he seems to make the right plays. Grags loves trying to feed it to Ehrhoff whenever the opportunity presents itself, or not, but I swear to God he is physically incapable of putting the puck in Ehrhoff's wheelhouse. Every time Hoff gets a point shot off, he usually has to adjust to a pass or he has to stop it and then shoot. It drives me nuts.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Hire Arniel to run the special teams again.

Quote:
His impact is incredibly overrated on here. They had one good year with him running the special teams.
Thanks for saving me the trouble of noting such - but don't hold your breath on some letting go of this myth that Arniel is a power-play guru who can solve any team's woes. The more time and distance that goes by between his tenure in Buffalo and the present, the more exaggerated his influence seems to become to some.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
Try Ehhoff,Pominville,Vanek, Adam, Kassian at least once.
Albeit it was only a 1-game trial by Ruff apparently, the 1st unit looked better keeping the puck in the zone with Pominville replacing Gragnani at the point in Friday's game - the Panthers seemed to respect that the shot from the point could come from either Pominville or Ehrhoff, something that doesn't seem to happen when Gragnani is teamed with Ehrhoff.

Putting another shooter from the blueline, be it Pominville, Leopold or eventually Myers, seems to be more likely to free Ehrhoff's shot up than putting a passer like Roy or Gragnani (in Connolly fashion) there to set up Ehrhoff. No one seems to respect or fear the latter.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Park Goose/Adam/BZK on the doorstep (a la Byfuglian) & let Ehrhoff, Leo, Sekera & Pominville (Myers as well eventually) rain bombs - Vanek/Stafford at the top of the circles to pick up the garbage.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:06 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I wonder if they are getting into the same bad habit they had when Kotalik was here, which is putting too much emphasis on setting Ehrhoff up for one-timers. That's not the only way to score, and it only works if the PKers have to worry about scoring from good puck movement and shots down low. They should practice ignoring Ehrhoff for a while.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Paradigm

Number one and two priorities are definitely more movement and better entries (smart dump and chase game), as already stated.

My other thing that I've been thinking of is more touch passing to create better shooting lanes. Even if the players move more, there's still too much pass-hold-pass-hold-pass, which allows the PK to get into lanes, regardless of how much the players move.

Unless I'm recalling incorrectly, I seem to remember a bunch of touch-passing going on in the 05-06 year (though this could've just been a product of the level of talent on that team), and I feel like this could really open up the lanes, especially for Ehrhoff.

The other thing would be for players to stop trying to pick corners so often. Someone will get it along the side, move in towards the middle, then blast it wide aiming for a corner, but then the puck zooms out of the zone and we have to set up all over again. I would want the players to concentrate more on creating rebound opportunities: get hard shots on the net, and then have the other two forwards converge for a scoring chance.

One way for Ruff to stop the over-passing would be to implement a pass limit (I seem to remember him trying this in the past). Limit the number of passes to 5 before taking a shot or something... if a given player can't follow the rule, take him off the PP until you find the right personnel who "get it."

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote