HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

More moves to come?

Old
12-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
not at all. he is still young, still prone to inconsistency, and the best part. he's a RFA.

habs are not in the habit of locking people up for long term, low cap hit so i don't know why they would start now. my guess is gauthier gives him a 2 year contract then goes for the 5-6 year contract after. same goes for subban.
money wise, 5.5 i think is he gets. especially if he keeps playing like this. damn!
Dude, why is it always the same people who get it right? (althoug I assume you meant RFAs get treated that way).

By all odds, both of them will get Plek'ed.

Even Markov did (got 2,2 per two years before he became UFA and hit the jackpot)

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It's an awful lot for any player... But when you have a star player, you hang onto him. Price would get 7 mil in a second on the open market.
I'm actually not so sure about that.

You have to keep in mind that as good as Price has been in the regular season, he hasn't done a lot in the playoffs. Now, that's certainly not all of his fault, but some of it is (Price's career playoff stats aren't what I would call 'great', by any means).

As good as Price is, he has one 30-plus win regular season under his belt, and one playoff series victory. I just fundamentally disagree with the idea that a really good season or two warrants making you one of the 20-to-30 highest paid players in the game. The only exception being if in that one really good season you totally took the league by storm (i.e. won major awards and/or was the main reason your team won the Stanley Cup or came just short of winning it).

Quote:
Not yet, no.

But Price just turned 24 and is on his 5th season already. To put that in perspective, last year he had a fantastic season at 23 years old... compare that to Henrik Lundqvist who only came into the league at 23 years old.... Price is well ahead of where he was and three years ago Lundqvist signed a six year deal in 2008 for 6.5 a season.

Pekka Rinne just signed 7 years for 7 mil a season.

How does Price not warrant 7 or more?
First of all, I disagree with the Rinne signing, as I made clear before. He's not worth that much, imo. No goalie short of St. Patrick is (i.e. a goalie that almost single-handedly makes you a Cup contender, that's how good he is).

Quote:
Martin Brodeur has taken a lot of criticism from his own union for making sweetheart deals for years... you don't think he could've made more?
Sure. But when all the Vezina trophy winners of the post-lockout era made less than $7 million a year, I really think it's a bit much to think that a goalie with one truly good year under his belt (and maybe a second depending on how this year goes), but no awards, is deserving of $7 million or more.

Right now, Rinne is the exception to the rule.

Quote:

Kipper and Thomas were both strange cases where they had breakout seasons much later in their careers and Kipper only had a couple of great years. They don't compare with a 24 year old Price at all.
Price's age would be a factor if he was completely taking the league by storm. But he's not. He's not that good. As is, he's one of the top 5-to-10 goalies in the league, but he doesn't stand out from the pack. He's not the Crosby of goalies. If and when he becomes that, then we can talk $7 million or more a year. But not until then, imo.

I don't care if a goalie is 24, or 33, or anything in-between, until he's proven himself to be on par with Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur, he doesn't deserve a $7 million price tag, imo.

Quote:

He doesn't have those awards but then again he's been on crappy teams. You can't blame the guy for not winning a cup, that's silly.
I don't blame him for not winning a Cop, but goalies can win the Hart or Vezina without winning the Cup. The team that Jose Theodore won the Hart for was a pretty crappy team itself.

Speaking of Jose Theodore, what happened to him after his two great seasons in Montreal when he was in his mid-20s? Now do you see why I'm leery of giving huge money contracts to players with only a really good season or two under their belts?

Quote:

And comparing him to Thomas is silly.
I'm not comparing Price to just Thomas or just Brodeur. I'm comparing him to all recent Vezina winners. If they're not worth $7 million/year than nor is Price. It's pretty common sense to me.

On what basis does a goalie demand $7 million/year when even Vezina winners don't get that sort of money? Because he happens to be young, like Theodore was when he won the Hart? Because Poile is a piss-poor negotiator, at least for the Salary Cap era? Sorry, those aren't good reasons, imo.

Quote:

Like I said, if he doesn't get AT LEAST 7 million then his agent needs to be shot.
If Price gets 7 million/year or more, than our GM needs to be fired. There's no way Gauthier or any other Habs GM should agree to that, barring Price taking this team on his shoulders and leading them to the 2011-2012 Stanley Cup Championship, like he was Roy in 1993.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Just a reminder. Incarcerated Bob is NOT a legit source as per the rules here at HF.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Just a reminder. Incarcerated Bob is NOT a legit source as per the rules here at HF.
Well he should be. I have seen him break all kinds of news before most. But Ek is allowed to be mentioned? Bob makes Ekker look like a peewee.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Just a reminder. Incarcerated Bob is NOT a legit source as per the rules here at HF.[/SIZE]
But eck is......................
will life's little wonders never cease

Either way, there's been traffic on the net from multiple sources reporting somethings up in montreal from :
Cammy and Pk for a Bona Fide super star
to: Big trade coming
to: big guy/contract being waived

where there's smoke there's fire, regardless of source there is usually little being reported on the habs other than Eck as they're on info lock-down. A little too much has leaked out today in a short time to ignore.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

I don't make the rules guys..

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

If you guys don't like it, feel free to bug the admins. This stuff goes way over what we as mods can do.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:52 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If you guys don't like it, feel free to bug the admins. This stuff goes way over what we as mods can do.
You're not a mod... You're barely a man. YOU'LL NEVER BE MY REAL DAD.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:52 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Are we currently seeing the last moments for Kostitsyn and Weber with the canadiens?

With all the trade rumors, I keep hearing that both of these guys will likely be traded at some point this season..

I would hate to see Kostitsyn leave because i think he is having a really good season, especially for a guy who is often playing on the 3rd line, rarelly gets a chance to see the ice during a power play (i also hate how martin is using him but that might be just me).

As for Weber, once Campoli, White and Markov are back there will be no place for him on this period unless more player are injured.

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Weber? Maybe. Kostitsyn? If we could bury Gomez first he isn't going anywhere.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Its possible, and honestly as sad as it is to say you trade a player while their hot to get the best value, not when their cold as ice

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Jake5

i REALLY hope Kostitsyn isn't traded and is re-signed. he is pretty great as a 3rd liner, has excellent chemistry with Eller, and can easily move into a top6 role in case of injury.

Jake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:04 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake5 View Post
i REALLY hope Kostitsyn isn't traded and is re-signed. he is pretty great as a 3rd liner, has excellent chemistry with Eller, and can easily move into a top6 role in case of injury.
A third liner making 3,8 million, possibly over 4 next year... NO !

He has to play on the top two and produce.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:05 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Keep AK we would have to overpay for someone not as good to replace him anyway.
I like Weber but he is something we have too much of in the organisation. Just hope they get good value if they trade him. Something ala O'byrne for Bournival.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I wouldn't be surprised if they were packaged sometime this year. Management needs to make a decision on Kostitsyn going forward if they don't have him in the plans then trade him and get something

Habs 4 Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:20 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
We all agree on that, we just wanna know what IB said!!!!!! at all cost!!!!!

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEMELIN74 View Post
With all the trade rumors, I keep hearing that both of these guys will likely be traded at some point this season..

I would hate to see Kostitsyn leave because i think he is having a really good season, especially for a guy who is often playing on the 3rd line, rarelly gets a chance to see the ice during a power play (i also hate how martin is using him but that might be just me).

As for Weber, once Campoli, White and Markov are back there will be no place for him on this period unless more player are injured.
AK has been one of our better players this year, don't see himk going anywhere.

Weber, I hope PG isn't trying to move him, he should be part of the future. He's a better forward than a guy like Darche right now plus he can help the PP.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Et le But

The Rinne contract was a contract given to a goalie in the prime of his career by a franchise that wanted to show its players that it's committed to spending money to win. Rinne has been the best player for the past few years and rewarding him for it was a message to others, especially Weber, that they will commit to their core.

It's a bad contract but it's also a desperate one.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:31 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
We all agree on that, we just wanna know what IB said!!!!!! at all cost!!!!!
Get a twitter account. Pretty marginal cost.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:38 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Weber no!!!

avatar says what i feel about it

but i wouldn't mind though if he is package for someone good

just don't want him traded for a pick or somthing

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
habitue*

So TB and Montreal are talking trade ?

Malone for Campoli ?

Old
12-12-2011, 07:42 PM
habitue*

There is some interesting underachiving players around the league...é

Havlat in SJ

Stewart in St-Louis

Hemsky in Edmonton

Morrow in Dallas

Fisher in Nashville

Semin in Washington

Would you trade lets' say Cammy, for one of these ?

Old
12-12-2011, 07:44 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Havlat in SJ

Stewart in St-Louis

Hemsky in Edmonton

Morrow in Dallas

Fisher in Nashville

Semin in Washington

Only Stewart, but he's untouchable. I wouldn't be angry if it was for Havlat but i'd prefer to keep Cammy.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:47 PM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Havlat in SJ

Stewart in St-Louis

Hemsky in Edmonton

Morrow in Dallas

Fisher in Nashville

Semin in Washington

The only one I like in that group is Stewart.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:49 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Price is NOT worth $7,000,000.00 and NO goalie in the NHL is, win a cup first and then let's start talking about salaries for a goalie over $5,000,000.00 a season.
Pretty simplistic reasoning..
[/COLOR]
Habs without Price are fighting for the 1st overall pick.. The Preds without Rinne are not a playoffs team.. The Rags without Lunqvist arent that high in the standing...

Price is a super goaltender, just like Rinne is.. They both can steal games by their own while they are rarely to blame for pts lost.. They are impact goaltenders that always give you a chance to win despite how bad the team is playing in front.. Regular like a clock despite playing about all the games.. Thats actually the big difference between Price and a guy like Thomas, as Claude Julien said himself, Thomas is an excellent goaltender when well rested..

Teams are built differently, the Habs just cant afford to have a just good no.1 in the net, they need a super goaltender to remain competitive.. Super goaltenders are as rare as specials players like Lemieux Bourque Crosby and can have a similar impact at their position..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote