HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

All things Crosby (injuries, career, etc)

View Poll Results: Concussions
Boooo 2,000 99.80%
Yay 4 0.20%
Voters: 2004. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2011, 07:33 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
All things Crosby (injuries, career, etc)

Let's separate the threads for injuries and Sids drama. Lots of users are requesting this.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:37 PM
nTsplnk*

I'll maintain my pessimistic attitude, if only to offer debate on the subject.

Sid is going to be injury prone for the rest of his career. He will get more concussions. It's just going to happen with 3 concussions in the last year.

He needs to take his time, but the team can't wait forever. If he isn't himself by his contract I think the Pens will part ways with him.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
I request that the two threads be merged.

Kidding.

Honestly, it's difficult to even put into words what I'm feeling about this whole situation. Sid's my favorite player, he's one of the main reasons I even came back to following the NHL after giving up on the league for about 6 or 7 years back in the "clutch and grab" era.

So while I've been a Pens fan for longer than the "Sid era" and I'll remain a Pens fan, have no plans of stopping watching the games, and obviously will follow the club and hope they can win the Cup without Sid, a part of the excitement that I get from watching the Pens is being put on hold (indefinitely?).

[/melodramatic]

Old
12-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Nakawick

I am very depressed today. I don't even know what to say. It' s a sad, sad situation.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:50 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
I'll maintain my pessimistic attitude, if only to offer debate on the subject.

Sid is going to be injury prone for the rest of his career. He will get more concussions. It's just going to happen with 3 concussions in the last year.

He needs to take his time, but the team can't wait forever. If he isn't himself by his contract I think the Pens will part ways with him.
There's nothing really to suggest he's had another concussion.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:55 PM
joey23

He'll likely to miss the game vs Hawks next week...the 4th year in a row?

Old
12-12-2011, 07:57 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
There's nothing really to suggest he's had another concussion.
He's having symptoms of something.

maybe it isn't another concussion. But why wait it out if he isn't having symptoms of one? To be safe? safe from what? If he's not having symptoms he should play.

But he is. It's quite clear he is. He went from 2 games out, to now DTD indefinitely. Something is wrong. Let's not kid ourselves like we did all last year.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:57 PM
DreamBeaut

I was a Penguins fan before Crosby and will be a Penguins fan after Crosby.

His career is certainly not over at this point, but it is concerning.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

I just want to go on the record saying that any suggestion Sid should "suck it up and play or leave for years" is beyond stupid.

Yeah, this is frustrating as hell, but just because you're not patient enough to deal with a moderate "better safe than sorry" approach doesn't mean it isn't the most rational option.

Just look at Patrice Bergeron.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:00 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
He's having symptoms of something.

maybe it isn't another concussion. But why wait it out if he isn't having symptoms of one? To be safe? safe from what? If he's not having symptoms he should play.

But he is. It's quite clear he is. He went from 2 games out, to now DTD indefinitely. Something is wrong. Let's not kid ourselves like we did all last year.
It could simply still be reoccurering symptoms from his old concussion, not that he sustained an all new concussion. I really think some people on here may need to step back a bit. I mean, seriously, in the other thread, you're blaiming Sid for the media circus surrounding him, and don't understand why the media (especially national) pay more atention to his concussion than Michaleks?

Saying he had '3 concussions' is just trying to basically exagerate things. We only know he's had 1. 1 Very very serious one.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:02 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
I feel legitimate sadness... this sucks. Trying to be as unselfish in my thinking for Sid as possible but damn... I just want him to come back healthy

Old
12-12-2011, 08:03 PM
BrookswasHere44

Hey Cole, can we ban all Crosby talk? That'd be great
K. Thanks. Bye

Old
12-12-2011, 08:08 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
It could simply still be reoccurering symptoms from his old concussion, not that he sustained an all new concussion. I really think some people on here may need to step back a bit. I mean, seriously, in the other thread, you're blaiming Sid for the media circus surrounding him, and don't understand why the media (especially national) pay more atention to his concussion than Michaleks?

Saying he had '3 concussions' is just trying to basically exagerate things. We only know he's had 1. 1 Very very serious one.
There is more evidence he had another than he didn't. He's DTD now. For a phantom injury? yea right.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:10 PM
SirBrad

I think everyone should watch the video of Crosby answering questions. Maybe I am being too hopeful, but he's smiling and emphasizing that he's clearly not where he was in January and he'd clearly better off than he was in August. It made me feel a little better about this.

But with that said, he says he is having symptoms. I still maintain that I don't think the Pens want him to get slammed twice so close together. Perhaps he's having some issues, but I don't think it's that alarming yet. I hate to put a timetable on it, but I really won't start worring until 3 or 4 more weeks pass since that seems to be about the going rate for the average concussion healing time.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:11 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
There is more evidence he had another than he didn't. He's DTD now. For a phantom injury? yea right.
Again, what part of, it can simply be reoccurrence of symptoms from his first concussion didn't you understand. That's not a phantom injury, that's a lingering injury.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:12 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
I think everyone should watch the video of Crosby answering questions. Maybe I am being too hopeful, but he's smiling and emphasizing that he's clearly not where he was in January and he'd clearly better off than he was in August. It made me feel a little better about this.

But with that said, he says he is having symptoms. I still maintain that I don't think the Pens want him to get slammed twice so close together. Perhaps he's having some issues, but I don't think it's that alarming yet. I hate to put a timetable on it, but I really won't start worring until 3 or 4 more weeks pass since that seems to be about the going rate for the average concussion healing time.
He always looked upbeat in the videos last playoffs too.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:14 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'm going to be a little more stern with all Crosby talk. There is an ignore thread feature if u want to ignore the thread. I would suggest avoiding it as much as possible unless you are patient and respectable with the discussion. That's the only thread warning.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Again, what part of, it can simply be reoccurrence of symptoms from his first concussion didn't you understand. That's not a phantom injury, that's a lingering injury.
So, technically, he is still concussed. Which is exactly what I'm saying.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:18 PM
PhillyFlying

the addition of crosby into the lineup around march-april trumps any deadline acquisition i can think of.

anything is possible.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:20 PM
1 09Cup*

I put this in another post that I think got deleted as the threads were being merged and not because I said anything objectionalble, I hope:

It is possible that the symptoms returned because he over did things too fast too soon. Really, he had like 6 months of doing nothing then very little practice time and most of that was without contact.

Go into NHL calibur games against very physical teams for 20+ minutes a night right out of the gate and it's understandable that your body may not react favorably.

I'm not saying this isn't concussion related, it probably is but it mild symptoms return after the abuse he took in those last three games then I don't think our world is craxhing down around us just yet.

I certainly don't thing every time he gets bumped he is going to miss 20 games. I think we should see how this plays out before we panic, even though panic is so much more fun.

Sid says he feeling good, those were Sid's words and so far he's the only one not to mislead us.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

If this turns out to be another concussion, and it turns out to be a bad one, he's done imo. And that really, really sucks. We'll see what happens though. I won't keep my hopes up or worry myself day after day as to how he's doing this time around. Get well Sid, take as much time as you need, but I'm done focusing my efforts on this. We have another Cup to win.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Which wingers should we go after with the 8.7m in cap space that just opened up?

But seriously, I'm not that pessimistic yet. We'll see how things go but this could very well be something minor that they're being overly cautious about.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:43 PM
joey23

Sid's all smiles, visited the kids' hospital today...

(got them from that tumblr.com site)

Old
12-12-2011, 08:50 PM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:

Wrong. He had 2 in rapid succession. Steckel and Hedman. Thats why it took 10 months to recover, this new one probably isnt a whole new concussion but rather recurring symptoms from the old one.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:57 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Wrong. He had 2 in rapid succession. Steckel and Hedman. Thats why it took 10 months to recover, this new one probably isnt a whole new concussion but rather recurring symptoms from the old one.
And your source to back you up on that? He had a concussion, the Hedman hit may have aggravated it but to call it a separate concussion is misleading.

Closed Thread