HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Suter not happy, calling out the coaches

Old
12-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Not sure if this was covered anywhere else, but did any of you Preds fans happen to catch Gary Suter's comments during the Sharks-Hawks game the other night?

He basically said he'd like to see the Sharks sign his nephew Ryan and it sounded (speculation) like he was pretty confident Ryan would be going to free agency when he announced him as a "Free Agent this summer".

Just curious your opinion on that, if it might mean anything at all.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:34 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Not sure if this was covered anywhere else, but did any of you Preds fans happen to catch Gary Suter's comments during the Sharks-Hawks game the other night?

He basically said he'd like to see the Sharks sign his nephew Ryan and it sounded (speculation) like he was pretty confident Ryan would be going to free agency when he announced him as a "Free Agent this summer".

Just curious your opinion on that, if it might mean anything at all.
I firmly believe and had all along Suter had to be signed in the offseason and wasn't. If he makes it to the New Year I see no chance of him signing here and hope he's traded to bring something of value back.

This is going to be another bad example of Poile's "patience" hurting the team.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I firmly believe and had all along Suter had to be signed in the offseason and wasn't. If he makes it to the New Year I see no chance of him signing here and hope he's traded to bring something of value back.

I agree with the first part, not the 2nd. I think Poile got surprised by the way the Weber thing went-down. I think he had a deal with the old agent worked, or just about worked, out, and when the change was made it went down the tubes, and with it, signing Suter. We signed Rinne to a bigger deal then we had to for only 1 reason, cause Poile knows the big 2 don't wanna' sign, or at least not at a rate we can afford.

Suter signed by New Year or deal him, and if he's signed, Weber needs to sign before trade deadline or he needs to go - we don't need another summer like the last one. Stupid to be stuck with guys that don't wanna' be here that have the value they do. However, this is where not being able to hang onto Hammer kills us, cause there's no fall-back from this. Josi someday, maybe Blum or Ellis someday, but all several years away.

It's not a patience thing biting us, it's a budget that's still working through the Liarpold disaster followed quickly by Boots and the not completely financially stable ownership group. Few more years of this I'm afraid - we simply need revenue share and can't spent what we'd like.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I agree with the first part, not the 2nd. I think Poile got surprised by the way the Weber thing went-down. I think he had a deal with the old agent worked, or just about worked, out, and when the change was made it went down the tubes, and with it, signing Suter. We signed Rinne to a bigger deal then we had to for only 1 reason, cause Poile knows the big 2 don't wanna' sign, or at least not at a rate we can afford.

Suter signed by New Year or deal him, and if he's signed, Weber needs to sign before trade deadline or he needs to go - we don't need another summer like the last one. Stupid to be stuck with guys that don't wanna' be here that have the value they do. However, this is where not being able to hang onto Hammer kills us, cause there's no fall-back from this. Josi someday, maybe Blum or Ellis someday, but all several years away.

It's not a patience thing biting us, it's a budget that's still working through the Liarpold disaster followed quickly by Boots and the not completely financially stable ownership group. Few more years of this I'm afraid - we simply need revenue share and can't spent what we'd like.
The problem is that we become a very, very bad team without ALL THREE of the "big three." It's not like we can let them go and plug someone else in and not miss a beat. Our legitimacy as a franchise, both on and off the ice, hinges on not only retaining both defensemen, but adding to the core.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
My gut says Suter wants to be out of Webers shadow, but he'd stay of he thought we were serious Cup contenders.

I know I keep mentioning Parise in all these threads, but if the Preds trade for Parise, I like our chances of keeping Suter.

If that trade doesnt happen, its gonna be a real gutsy call by poile if we sit somewhere between 6 and 9 at the deadline and it looks like Suter is going to bolt.... do we trade him so we dont lose him for nothing but in doing so tank our current year? or do we ride it out knowing without him we have no shot of a long playoff run?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:02 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
My gut says Suter wants to be out of Webers shadow, but he'd stay of he thought we were serious Cup contenders.

I know I keep mentioning Parise in all these threads, but if the Preds trade for Parise, I like our chances of keeping Suter.

If that trade doesnt happen, its gonna be a real gutsy call by poile if we sit somewhere between 6 and 9 at the deadline and it looks like Suter is going to bolt.... do we trade him so we dont lose him for nothing but in doing so tank our current year? or do we ride it out knowing without him we have no shot of a long playoff run?
thats an easy call for me man... if DP knows he wants out, he has to trade him. if he knows he can't/won't sign him.. trade him. the sooner the better. we're not the kind of franchise that can withstand losing players like suter for nothing

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Hmm, I was under the impression that Poile has been trying to sign Suter since he got back from his summer vaca...

Sounds to me that Suter is dead set on free agency no matter what Poile's plans are.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Suter's agent doesn't make the trip to Nashville for face to face talks a couple of weeks ago if he's dead set on leaving.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Suter's agent doesn't make the trip to Nashville for face to face talks a couple of weeks ago if he's dead set on leaving.
forgot about that... this is true

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:50 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I think this is Gary wanting his nephew to follow in his own footsteps by playing in San Jose. Gary finished his career in San Jose, so I would imagine he has a soft spot for the organization. As 101st said, Ryan's agent came into Nashville to negotiate with Poile. That doesn't mean #20 is definitely staying, but it casts doubts on the notion that he is definitely going to test the FA market.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Gut feeling Weber, not Suter, is back next year.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:12 PM
pekkaslap

Weber is a RFA, so yeah there's a good chance he'll be back next year lol. The question is will he be here long-term? I think both of them bolt, personally. Weber to Detroit and Suter to San Jose? *pukes*

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
predfan98

Quote:

This

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Weber is a RFA, so yeah there's a good chance he'll be back next year lol. The question is will he be here long-term? I think both of them bolt, personally. Weber to Detroit and Suter to San Jose? *pukes*
If both of them bolt, Poile needs to be fire right away no questions asked.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

A few weeks ago this place was filled with proclamations that all of the big three were definitely gone. Then we sign Peks and the paranoia shifts to we're definitely losing both d-men. Then Suter's agent comes into town for a face to face with Poile ... yet the paranoia remains.

Suter appears to still be willing to negotiate. Weber can't sign until after the 1st. It's just under 200 days until either of them can become a free agent. I'll stand back from the edge for a while.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:59 PM
predfan98

Isn't there a trade deadline in february? We can't afford to give away Suter like we did hamhuis. Suter is too valuable.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 07:06 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Isn't there a trade deadline in february? We can't afford to give away Suter like we did hamhuis. Suter is too valuable.
We don't move Suter unless the team completely tanks before the deadline.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
We don't move Suter unless the team completely tanks before the deadline.
If we get nothing for Suter and he is not resigned, it's a horrible move for this franchise.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
If we get nothing for Suter and he is not resigned, it's a horrible move for this franchise.
Really?

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:21 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

guess what I'm saying is, it would be stupid not to trade Suter if he's not signed by the deadline.

Old
12-12-2011, 08:21 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

im pretty sure poile would have signed him this summer if he had been willing

why is it always poiles fault if a player doesnt sign?

Old
12-12-2011, 08:24 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
If both of them bolt, Poile needs to be fire right away no questions asked.
what a load of crap.... if they dont want to be here, what can poile do? this isnt The Godfather where Luca Brazzi puts a gun to their head and says "either your signature or your brains will be on that contract"

if Weber and Suter leave I dont think it will be because Poile didnt make them fair offers

Old
12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
AEM6729

Do either Suter or Weber have a NTC/NMC? Can we trade them to whoever we want if it comes to that?

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
guess what I'm saying is, it would be stupid not to trade Suter if he's not signed by the deadline.
The only way Poile trades Suter is if we are out of the playoff race by the trade deadline, and we know for sure he will not re-sign. Teams with playoff aspirations just don't trade away their best players like that, regardless of their free agent status. I can think of very few instances where such a trade worked out for the team in question (Kings getting Deadmarsh and Miller for Blake and then beating the Wings in Rnd 1 and taking the Avs to 7 in Rnd 2 is a notable exception).

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
what a load of crap.... if they dont want to be here, what can poile do? this isnt The Godfather where Luca Brazzi puts a gun to their head and says "either your signature or your brains will be on that contract"

if Weber and Suter leave I dont think it will be because Poile didnt make them fair offers
I would tend to agree with this. This organization has seen a lot of quality players exit, and has seemed to weather the loss of them all. These might be the best 2 they have stood to lose, but management has surely shown an ability to regroup and maintain a competitive product regardless of who it loses. Seems to me it is pretty clear the direction that ownership/Poile intend to take the team, and either Suter/Weber want to be the core of it, or they don't. I believe them leaving would be more a reflection on them than on the organization.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote