HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
09-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Silver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Pain View Post
My favourite beer is called Coro-Catsup.

So what you do is you grab a Corona light. Instead of putting a lime into it, you squirt some ketchup into your bottle. How much? As much as your heart desires. Shake that puppy up until it fizzles violently and then you drink it. It tastes like that drink where you mix tomato juice and beer.

It's quite delicious and can be enjoyed with a nice enchilada or filet mignon.
I threw up in my mouth. A lot. Still tastes better than light Mexican beer and ketchup.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:10 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I threw up in my mouth. A lot. Still tastes better than light Mexican beer and ketchup.
The problem I have with your statement is that it's a baseless assumption.

Beer and tomato juice are often enjoyed at bars and restaurants. It's basically the same thing but with a twist. It's tangy-er and is good for the weight (being that it's light an all). The fact that it's Mexican shouldn't affect your opinion.

A nice Sol beer under the Mexican sun is almost like heaven. The only thing missing is a squirt bottle of ketchup.

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Hoogaar23

There are some decent Mexican beers. I quite enjoyed Negra Modelo (IIRC) and Bohemia. I've only ever seen those available in Mexico.

For good Mexican beer that you can get here, Dos Equis Amber and Lager are pretty good.

As for Sol and Corona - they are MUCH better in Mexico. Those clear bottles really don't travel well.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:34 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Tonight:

Yukon Brewery - Lead Dog, Olde English Ale

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:38 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Gotta find it in Australia

But Hahn Super Dry da best!

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
The problem I have with your statement is that it's a baseless assumption.

Beer and tomato juice are often enjoyed at bars and restaurants. It's basically the same thing but with a twist. It's tangy-er and is good for the weight (being that it's light an all). The fact that it's Mexican shouldn't affect your opinion.

A nice Sol beer under the Mexican sun is almost like heaven. The only thing missing is a squirt bottle of ketchup.
What's the reason that people put tomato juice or clam and beer together? Because the beer taste like piss in the first place. I love clam with my beer if I'm drinking a kokanee, canadian, pilsner, old chill, corona and any other pissy lager.

Better for the weight since it's a light beer? That's a highly inaccurate statement. First of all light beers compared to their counter part are only light because they have a lower alcohol content. Secondly if you are referring to lighter beers vs darker beers the caloric intake difference between most beers is pretty minimal.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Tonight:

Yukon Brewery - Lead Dog, Olde English Ale
Nice, I really want to try that beer next from Yukon.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:05 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Nice, I really want to try that beer next from Yukon.
I LOVE that beer. Try it...........now!! haha

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:07 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

You know, I was at this metal festival in Bavaria, and they love this drink (forgot what it's called) they mix beer with coke, and a shot of cherry liquor, sounds messed up but I actually enjoyed it.

Old
09-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
You know, I was at this metal festival in Bavaria, and they love this drink (forgot what it's called) they mix beer with coke, and a shot of cherry liquor, sounds messed up but I actually enjoyed it.
Haha yeah I was drinking dark & stormy's(Ginger beer and rum finished with lime) over the weekend under the sun. Pretty tasty stuff.

Also I finally had some guys square up some old palyoff bets. Got a bunch of random single bottles that for the most part I haven't even heard of. Most of it looks pretty tasty though. I'll post back later on when I'm home exactly what I scored.

Old
10-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

Hey Reimer, how are those beers treating you? Would be good to hear your thoughts on them all.

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 03:50 PM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
There are some decent Mexican beers. I quite enjoyed Negra Modelo (IIRC) and Bohemia. I've only ever seen those available in Mexico.

For good Mexican beer that you can get here, Dos Equis Amber and Lager are pretty good.
Negra Modelo, Sol, Pacifico Clara, Dos Equis, Corona, etc. are all availible in Alberta. I find that Negra Modelo is the best although they all have a distinctive "Mexican" style as in very light. The store I work at carries all of these. I've never seen Bohemia but I bet you could find it somewhere as I believe it's made by the same company as Dos Equis.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:54 PM
capebretonoilers

Better for the weight since it's a light beer? That's a highly inaccurate statement. First of all light beers compared to their counter part are only light because they have a lower alcohol content. Secondly if you are referring to lighter beers vs darker beers the caloric intake difference between most beers is pretty minimal.[/QUOTE]

Actually the calorie difference is quite significant --believe its 1/3 of the calories

capebretonoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:18 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretonoilers View Post
Actually the calorie difference is quite significant --believe its 1/3 of the calories
but when you add the catsup it's equalized in calories

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:53 PM
northern2020

Damn IPA's....Red Racer, Tree Brewing Hop seasonal double, Alley Kat Red dragon Double, Hopworks organic Hub......

Can't drink any other beer unless it's an IPA.....they all seem flavorless....

Now if anyone can find Phillips Hop Circle IPA from Victoria I'll pay $$$ for it!

northern2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Pterodactyl
Houston Texans Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Negra Modelo, Sol, Pacifico Clara, Dos Equis, Corona, etc. are all availible in Alberta. I find that Negra Modelo is the best although they all have a distinctive "Mexican" style as in very light. The store I work at carries all of these. I've never seen Bohemia but I bet you could find it somewhere as I believe it's made by the same company as Dos Equis.
I'd have to agree that out of those mexican beers you listed, Negra Modelo is the one i would choose. I usually only have it when i am eating mexican food. Haha

Pterodactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:09 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
but when you add the catsup it's equalized in calories
Just... stop.

You're almost as bad as those classless women clueless about wine that put 7-up/sprite in their wines.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 07:46 PM
bringbackrome

Tried Innis & Gunn for the first time b/c of this thread. Wow, very nice. They sell this at Superstore liquor stores at $2.65 a bottle I think which is alot better than the $4 at Liquor Barn. As for some other favs for me - Sam Adams, Anchor Steam and Pumphouse Blueberry

Off topic, but has anyone been to the rocky mountain wine and food fest? I see tix are $18 and then I assume you have to buy more tix once inside to sample stuff. Seems abit pricey for what would seem like a glorified taste of edmonton. Or is it better than that?

Last edited by bringbackrome: 10-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.
bringbackrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 08:29 PM
nvan97

I just have to give a shout out to local brewery Amber's. I had their lunch pail ale which is one of my new favorites and I've heard good things about their Vampire Maple as well. I just think we should support our local beer. Hopefully it can increase their popularity and maybe bring in some new craft breweries that you can get fresh from the tap.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:39 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Should have known better but last night I had a Brewsters Oktoberberfest and a Wild Rose Imperial IPA with my Alley Kat 15th Anniversary Smoked Porter.

Having two Calgary beers when we play Calgary. I'll take the blame for the loss.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 06:54 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Well now that I am FINALLY back online and back all moved and settled back in Edmonton thought I would bring this thread back up.

Anyone know of any good Christmas ales? The only ones I have had are Brewsters Christmas Ale which is great and Big Rock's Winter Spice which is pretty close 2nd.

Old
12-12-2011, 07:27 PM
cheesed-off*

I'm glad this thread is back up, as the search function doesn't work (btw, how do people resurrect old threads?).

Anyway, last week I had Karmeliet Triple:

http://bestuff.com/stuff/blond-triple-karmeliet

It is the best beer I have ever had in my entire life.

It is the best beer from the best beer brewing country in the world.

8.4%

I love it.

I love you all as well.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
vb

It's filled with hipsters, but the Empress on Whyte and 99st have Brooklyn lager. Don't see it very often and its great.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:04 PM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
I'm glad this thread is back up, as the search function doesn't work (btw, how do people resurrect old threads?).

Anyway, last week I had Karmeliet Triple:

http://bestuff.com/stuff/blond-triple-karmeliet

It is the best beer I have ever had in my entire life.

It is the best beer from the best beer brewing country in the world.

8.4%

I love it.

I love you all as well.
I hope Sherbrooke has this one because I would love to try it. Triples are amazing, I drink a bottle of the Maredsous triple once a week or so. Unibroue has a nice holiday triple in their sampler pack right nowt oo.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Giggli G

Anyone know where one can buy significant quantities of Fin du Monde in Edmonton? I am located near Capilano, the closer the better.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote