HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The last of Pat Hickey?

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Rgolt

vCash: 500
The last of Pat Hickey?

One of Pat Hickey's recent articles has drawn major fire and have people calling for his job (headed by Theo Fleury). Thus leading me to wonder, can this be the end of Pat Hickey with the Montreal Gazette?

here is the original article.... http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...382/story.html

and here are a couple of tweets...
bruce_arthur Bruce Arthur
I consider Pat a friend, and he's always treated me with kindness. But I can't defend that column.

TheoFleury14 Theo Fleury
We demand that Pat Hicke be fired from the Montreal Gazette effective immediately

metricjulie Julie
Pat Hickey you giant ****ing tool. Expect the wrath of metricjulie in your inbox tonight. (you should read this...My response to Pat Hickey of The Montreal Gazette http://metricjulie.tumblr.com/post/1...ntreal-gazette)

Old
12-12-2011, 10:43 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

What are they mad at? Saying that James deserve hard time? Or that Fleury is being an hypocrite, which is true? This quote says it all.

Quote:
I agree James should be doing hard time. In fact, I don’t understand why he was granted bail earlier this year after Fleury ended years of silence by detailing the abuse in his best-selling, as-told-to autobiography.

But I find it hypocritical that Fleury can blast the justice system for giving James two months of freedom when he provided his former coach with years.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I think his intent was to shed light on Sheldon Kennedy but it came out very anti Fleury.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
What are they mad at? Saying that James deserve hard time? This quote says it all.
u really got it all wrong. theyre upset that Hickey is blaming the victim (Fleury). Theyre saying its people like Pat Hickey that is the reason assault victim are afraid to speak up

Old
12-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I think his intent was to shed light on Sheldon Kennedy but it came out very anti Fleury.
ya i agree with you here. Unfortunately it was too anti fleury

Old
12-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Not sure why Pat Hickey would write such things, it just asks for trouble.

Who the hell is he to say Theo Fleury isn't credible because he didn't speak soon enough?

Old
12-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Garry Valk

I think, more than anything, the point of the column is to say that Sheldon Kennedy is a hero and gets no attention, while Fleury gets lauded with praise. I think Hickey has a point.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:48 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Was stupid indeed, but journalists in this town have gotten away with worse.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Habnot

People tend not to read - Pat is right but in this day of political correctness and with all the recent scandals, god forbid if you say anything somewhat critical about a victim.

Nobody should question Fleury’s decision to remain silent. What should be questioned is Fleury’s continuing role in James’s life. At the time of Kennedy’s revelations, James was the coach of the Calgary Hitmen. He was one of the co-owners of the junior team in the Western Hockey League. One of the other owners was Theoren Fleury. Here was someone who had suffered abuse at the hands of Graham James. Here was someone who knew that James had abused other players. Here was someone who was exposing other children to the same sexual predator.

Fleury has been through enough counselling to know there’s a word for someone who acts in this fashion - enabler.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
People tend not to read - Pat is right but in this day of political correctness and with all the recent scandals, god forbid if you say anything somewhat critical about a victim.

Nobody should question Fleury’s decision to remain silent. What should be questioned is Fleury’s continuing role in James’s life. At the time of Kennedy’s revelations, James was the coach of the Calgary Hitmen. He was one of the co-owners of the junior team in the Western Hockey League. One of the other owners was Theoren Fleury. Here was someone who had suffered abuse at the hands of Graham James. Here was someone who knew that James had abused other players. Here was someone who was exposing other children to the same sexual predator.

Fleury has been through enough counselling to know there’s a word for someone who acts in this fashion - enabler.
Fleury explanation is that he had stockholm syndrome. Only Fleury knows how true this is

Old
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Not sure why Pat Hickey would write such things, it just asks for trouble.

Who the hell is he to say Theo Fleury isn't credible because he didn't speak soon enough?
Not what he said. He said that Fleury was being hypocrite by blasting the judicial system for giving him 2 months of freedom while Fleury gave him many years.

I don't agree with James getting any freedom, just like Hickey, but the way Fleury called out the justice system was just uncalled for.

Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

After reading that piece, I think its overblown.

The last paragraph was a bit harsh, but I didnt read anything outrageous.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:59 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I read it again but I still think he was way too harsh.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:00 PM
AntonCH

Hickey speaks the truth
Think of what he says for a moment

Also i'm old enough to remember when Kennedy came out and looked to Fleury for support, he ended up getting a resounding silence from Fleury.

You can draw parallels to Paterno if you wish, considering the time that when James was a coach of the hitmen, Fleury an owner in the leaugue et al.

Not sure Fleury has a leg to stand on, if you hold others to higher ideals, make sure you stand the test first

Old
12-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Rgolt

Pat Hickey brings up many valuable points; however, unfortunately he tarnishes all of them with too much hate thrown at Fleury. Hickey should know people get sensitive when you blame the victim

Old
12-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
A bit anti-Fleury but as mentioned, it seems to try to shed more spot-light on Sheldon Kennedy than it tries to throw Fleury to the dogs. Not Hickey's greatest moments but to call for his head is ludicrous.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
12-12-2011, 11:06 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
Pat Hickey brings up many valuable points; however, unfortunately he tarnishes all of them with too much hate thrown at Fleury. Hickey should know people get sensitive when you blame the victim
Fleury chose NOT to play the victim when he first had the chance. When Kennedy looked to him for support, Fleury turned away.
The real victim here is Kennedy.
Do itake away what Fleury went thru? Absolutely not!!
But he chose his path, live with it. We are all responsible for our actions, there's no take backsies.

Old
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Hickey speaks the truth

Also i'm old enough to remember when Kennedy came out and looked to Fleury for support, he ended up getting a resounding silence from Fleury.

You can draw parallels to Paterno if you wish, considering the time that when James was a coach of the hitmen, Fleury an owner in the leaugue et al.

Not sure Fleury has a leg to stand on, if you hold others to higher ideals, make sure you stand the test first
Not sure if this is a valid comparison. Paterno was never abused.

Old
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
A bit anti-Fleury but as mentioned, it seems to try to shed more spot-light on Sheldon Kennedy than it tries to throw Fleury to the dogs. Not Hickey's greatest moments but to call for his head is ludicrous.
Well tell that to Theo Fleury bc him and his 37000 followers are ready to start a movement

Old
12-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Hickey speaks the truth

Fleury was sexually abused, not Paterno.

Victims are scared to talk. Hickey should know better.

Quote:
But I find it hypocritical that Fleury can blast the justice system for giving James two months of freedom when he provided his former coach with years.
Seriously... this is just awful.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Fleury explanation is that he had stockholm syndrome. Only Fleury knows how true this is
Considering how 'damaged' Fleury has been over the years, it's not much of a stretch to think that he either was a) in full denial b) in a near-catatonic state c) too ****ed up to realize what was going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Fleury was sexually abused, not Paterno.

Victims are scared to talk. Hickey should know better.

Seriously... this is just awful.
What he said.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:10 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Not sure if this is a valid comparison. Paterno was never abused.
Paterno apparently knew what sandusky was doing, as Fleury knew first hand the history of a coach named james.
Both chose to do little if nothing. Paterno got fired because of it, Fleury is escaping the firing line because he was once abused. yet the parallel i believe is there

Old
12-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Considering how 'damaged' Fleury has been over the years, it's not much of a stretch to think that he either was a) in full denial b) in a near-catatonic state c) too ****ed up to realize what was going on.
Don't forget he was a substance abuser

Old
12-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Well tell that to Theo Fleury bc him and his 37000 followers are ready to start a movement
I don't really give a crap about his 37,000 followers, 95% of which are the likes of people like you and me. If Fleury has a problem, which he does then he did the right thing by calling out Hickey. Calling for his job, I think is too much but definitely ask for an apology in writing - most likely in the form of a follow up article.

There is no need for this article, I will admit. Even if he is right on every front, it is still not politically correct to write the things he did. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and I will stand by that but when you put it in writing, for the world to see and for yourself to earn a living off of, you need to be held accountable.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:13 PM
AntonCH

the "truth" is Hickey called Fleury out and Fleury didn't like it, but what hickey had to say cannot be refuted or called lies.

Closed Thread