HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

McDonagh vs Subban

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have in your top four?
P.K. Subban 229 42.25%
Ryan McDonagh 313 57.75%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2011, 11:40 PM
tavehockey123*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
Evidence?
Go check the NYR-MON trade proposal thread. Zenith, they guy who posts like 1000 times a day, for one, has made such a claim, along with several other fanboys

Old
12-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Richards to Gaborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavehockey123 View Post
Go check the NYR-MON trade proposal thread. Zenith, they guy who posts like 1000 times a day, for one, has made such a claim, along with several other fanboys
First off, the last time Cammalleri scored 40+ goals was uh.... with the Manchester Monarchs. Nice. Secondly, can you blame us not wanting to trade a 22 year old defenseman who plays 25+ plus mins for a player who is almost 30? Not to mention we already got McD from Montreal, why the hell would we give him back?

Also, yes Cam scored 39 one season. That doesn't make him a 40 plus goal scorer, seeing as that would also imply that it's something he does consistently.

Lastly, where did you get the 2 1st rounders part from?

Old
12-09-2011, 09:01 AM
JalapenoPeppa*

Poll is even only because of the mass of Habs fans.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:36 AM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Just checked the poll for the first time in a couple days, it seemed to take an interesting turn. PK was the leader in the poll at the end of day one by a considerable margin.

Quote:
Quote:
No i get it, you made my point. 2 games is a very small sample size. Inadequate to assess. Yet 24, or 60 total NHL games experience is sufficient enough to call this guy an untouchable or claim he's worth a 40 goal scorer a 2 1st rounders as some Ranger fans have said?
Quote:
So McDonagh is off to a hot start. Great. Remember how big a deal Ranger fans made of Del Zotto? Let s wait a little bit before crowning McDonagh a perennial All Star.

And I love this obviously unquantifiable "plays against Ovechkin, Crosby, etc" comment Ranger fans always throw out there for their defenseman, especially Staal. So what he plays against them? Or the "he has to shut down ..." I mean come on. So does every top pairing defenseman in the East. I mean its not like the Rangers have had any success against the Pens, or Caps, so why is Staal getting credit for shutting them down? Crosby has a ton of goals against Lundqvist, more than any other player I believe. Is Staal really "shutting him down". Same with Ovechkin, who was over a PPG against NYR in the playoffs. Not to mention the series wasnt even close. So what exactly did Staal do? But yea, its easy to throw out unquantifiable compliments like "shutdown defenseman" and what not, but given the Rangers lack of success, its obvious he isnt doing as well shutting these guys down as Ranger fans make it out to be.
Instead of attacking the credibility of other posters, try making a valid point of substance instead. Of the half dozen or so of your posts in this thread, the overwhelming majority of them are "Ranger fans say this, blah blah blah [insert agenda]" Not trying to attack you in any way, I just want to keep debate respectful and reasonable.

That being said, McDonagh's giveaway that lead to TB's second goal last night was egregious to say the least... Alas, all young dmen make mistakes especially when playing 25+ mins against Stamkos and co

Last edited by E Nixson: 12-09-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old
12-09-2011, 11:44 PM
SnowblindNYR

I knew that the TB game would be mentioned in this thread, sigh. I didn't think he played that poorly against Toronto, I thought Girardi had a bad game though.

Old
12-10-2011, 08:45 AM
MakeTheGoalsLarger

seems like an attempt to make canadiens fans feel so bad because not only the Gomez trade was a disaster,but Mcdonagh was traded because Gainey supposedly thought there were better young defensemen in the organization.

But what makes Subban more intresting to me his all his flashiness. He makes spectacular plays that you don't see from other defensemen. He's the first truly hated hab since I don't know when. It was about time!
Bottom line:He makes me want to watch games.

McDonagh would have to be clearly better than Subban for me to prefer having him. He's not.

Old
12-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Joannie9

Wow Subban's defense is sooooo underrated !
Some people need to watch a couple of Habs games before judging him.

Old
12-10-2011, 10:32 AM
DallasStarsfan06

Where does John Carlson rank with these two??

Old
12-10-2011, 11:53 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

McDonagh.

Better shut down d-man and underrated offensively. He's on pace for around 40+ points in his 2nd season.

Old
12-10-2011, 01:15 PM
The Management

Two talented young players. It's hard to say...

Put a gun to my head, and I'd probably take Subban. He's got an undeniable amount of explosive offensive potential. Give him some time, experience, and the right environment / coaching to round out his defensive game, and I think he just has the potential to be a more valuable player on a nightly basis.

As it stands, though, it's hard to deny what McDonagh brings to the table.

Time will ultimately tell.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
McDonagh.

He'd be the Habs #1 defenseman right now, as much as it pains their fans to hear it.

There's no way this poll is going to get fair results with McDonagh circumstances.
Lol what a retarded post go see some hockey before saying such nonsense. On the depth Chart Markov and Subban are in front of Mcdonagh no doubt about it.

Nice feed btw by Mcdonagh to Malone the other night that's what i call stellar d.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Lol what a retarded post go see some hockey before saying such nonsense. On the depth Chart Markov and Subban are in front of Mcdonagh no doubt about it.

Nice feed btw by Mcdonagh to Malone the other night that's what i call stellar d.
I believe he said right now. Which would infer that Markov is out of the lineup.

And i believe this poll shows that McD right now is better than Subban. Who knows what the future holds but this season McD has been better than Subban, no doubt about it.

And one bad play makes an entire season? Because last time i checked even crosby makes mistakes sometimes.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
I believe he said right now. Which would infer that Markov is out of the lineup.

And i believe this poll shows that McD right now is better than Subban. Who knows what the future holds but this season McD has been better than Subban, no doubt about it.

And one bad play makes an entire season? Because last time i checked even crosby makes mistakes sometimes.
No i have seen some of the rangers game lately and he all but impressed me seems like his bubble is busting a little bit so is the rangers than. Vs the habs he sucked both times vs Toronto he wasn't good either vs Tampa was horrific.

Subban is better than Mcdonagh i surely won't change my mind about it and it's not even close.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:58 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
No i have seen some of the rangers game lately and he all but impressed me seems like his bubble is busting a little bit so is the rangers than. Vs the habs he sucked both times vs Toronto he wasn't good either vs Tampa was horrific.

Subban is better than Mcdonagh i surely won't change my mind about it and it's not even close.
Nah.

You're clearly looking for mistakes from McDonagh. The whole Rangers team was terrible in Montreal, McDonagh was actually pretty good against the Canadiens at MSG. Again, the Rangers were, as a whole, mostly terrible against the Leafs in the first game, same in the other game sans the third period. I'll admit he was pretty bad against Tampa (although I miss half of it), but he has been playing like a top-notch 1st pairing defenseman this season, consistently. He's still young, he'll make mistakes, but he makes many less mistakes than Subban.

As I said earlier, I think Subban will end up better, but right now, McDonagh has outplayed Subban this season. He is outproducing him offensively (13 points in 26 games compared to 11 in 30 from Subban), is playing very well defensively, and, at 22, is relied upon heavily by his coach in all situations. Regardless of what his position would be as a Canadien, he is tremendously important to the Rangers.

As for the claim of what I had posted. Complete lies. I said I wouldn't trade Cammalleri for McDonagh, made a [hyperbolic] post saying it would take Cammalleri + 1st to get McDonagh. Obviously not, but, as I implied, I was making a point.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
12-11-2011, 01:42 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

First of all, I know I personally go overboard about the Rangers, and that loss to Tampa was inexcusable, but the Rangers bubble is bursting because they went 0-1-1 in 2 games after winning 12 of 14? Second, McDonagh could be Lidstrom #2 and you'd find something wrong with him to try to make the Gomez trade look better.

Edit: Not saying he IS Lidstrom #2, just that even if was Lidstrom #2 you'd find something wrong with him.

Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 12-11-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old
12-11-2011, 02:17 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
First of all, I know I personally go overboard about the Rangers, and that loss to Tampa was inexcusable, but the Rangers bubble is bursting because they went 0-1-1 in 2 games after winning 12 of 14? Second, McDonagh could be Lidstrom #2 and you'd find something wrong with him to try to make the Gomez trade look better.
McDonagh is Lidstrom #2?

McD is my favorite player...but no. Just no.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:22 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
McDonagh is Lidstrom #2?

McD is my favorite player...but no. Just no.
You misread my post. I said if he were Lidstrom #2 he'd find something wrong with him. I guess I can see how you can read it the way you did. I'll edit it to make it more clear.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:32 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
You misread my post. I said if he were Lidstrom #2 he'd find something wrong with him. I guess I can see how you can read it the way you did. I'll edit it to make it more clear.
Sorry. I think I need to go to sleep, I've been misreading posts left and right.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:

Cool.....keep proving how massive a homer you are. Why even come to the main boards if you can't look at things objectively?

Old
12-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Cool.....keep proving how massive a homer you are. Why even come to the main boards if you can't look at things objectively?
This makes me laugh a bit, coming from a guy with NYR in his username.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
I think if there's one thing that objectively comes out of the recent Habs-NYR fans flaming war especially surrounding the Subban vs McDonaugh debate is that both fan bases are enormously homeristic to the point nothing conclusive can emerge from any of our discussions. Almost like a caricature of the typical HF "my player is better than yours" pattern...

Old
12-11-2011, 07:28 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:

Yeesh, stupid to post that after Subban's game vs. New Jersey

Old
12-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Slick Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Yeesh, stupid to post that after Subban's game vs. New Jersey
Played 25 minutes, no giveaway on NHL.com, was hitting the net with 4 shots on the PP.

He played the most minutes and finished even in a win. What is wrong with that?

Old
12-12-2011, 10:53 PM
tavehockey123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
First off, the last time Cammalleri scored 40+ goals was uh.... with the Manchester Monarchs. Nice. Secondly, can you blame us not wanting to trade a 22 year old defenseman who plays 25+ plus mins for a player who is almost 30? Not to mention we already got McD from Montreal, why the hell would we give him back?

Also, yes Cam scored 39 one season. That doesn't make him a 40 plus goal scorer, seeing as that would also imply that it's something he does consistently.

Lastly, where did you get the 2 1st rounders part from?
Sorry, perhaps I exaggerated a touch. No different than all the "Gaborik the 50 goal scorer" claims in NYR land. Atleast Cammaleri has come close to 40, whereas Gaborik has never sniffed 50.

Anyhow, I dont get the "he plays 25 minutes" argument. When you play as inexcusably bad as he did against Tampa, it doesnt matter how many minutes he plays.

And finally, what do fans really think this guys potential is? 70 points? I mean at best I see a 30-40 point guy on a career year, while playing solid defensively. So a $4-6 million a year player. Such have been traded before for forwards who can consistently put up 30 goals a year. Yet the overrating has gotten so out of hand that you'd think he wouldnt be available for anything less than a Malkin and a 1st type deal. Didnt you fans learn about your untouchables with Grachev, who wasnt available for anything less than Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc, until of course he was available for pretty much nothing. Or Dubinsky, who... well thats a fresh wound so I wont go there yet. But you get the picture.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:56 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
Anyhow, I dont get the "he plays 25 minutes" argument. When you play as inexcusably bad as he did against Tampa, it doesnt matter how many minutes he plays.
One game proves everything when it supports your argument.

How about the game against the Penguins, or the game against the Flyers? Where McDonagh was spectacular? Of course, those don't count, because he had that one bad game against Tampa. (I'm not saying he hasn't had bad games aside from that one...but he's had significantly more "great" games than bad ones.)

Closed Thread