HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Back Yard Ice Rinks

Old
01-21-2011, 08:25 PM
rinkrat22

vCash: 500
hows the rink? you getting any shinny in Paul?

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
the rink has gone great I have been able to skate backwards for the first time in 20 yrs lol I wouldn't dare attempt at a public rink

01-22-2011, 05:46 PM
jagrgodr

I have a question, i have been using a pool for the last month for skating because the winter has been very cold here, almost always below 30. The other day it was very hot and sunny, the temp was over 45 and the edges of the pool became weak. Luckily the next night the temp went to 9 degrees so the ice is starting to thicken again.

My question is from the warm weather i noticed a tiny holy in the ice where water was sinking down when i was pouring water on. How can i fix this? Also does this mean my ice is not safe to skate on? Should i wait a few cold days to get on it? Thanks. Also i have no snow around, it all melted so i can't use that to patch it.

I do not see many people saying that are skating on their swimming pool. I read a few places on the net that you can do this, we winterized the pool and dropped the water down a foot and the ice has been 4" thick or more in most parts.

Last edited by jagrgodr: 01-22-2011 at 05:52 PM.
jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2011, 10:22 PM
rinkrat22

well I would think its ok, but I would personally be worried about cutting the pool liner. and unless you are shorter than the water depth you should be ok as far as getting injuried goes.

Now to address the melting edges, what color is the liner? the sun will heat the edges enough to weaken it a little especially if its a darker color. The best liners for backyard rinks are white, so if yours is dark blue that could be part of the problem.

good luck

Old
01-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Leaf Lander

i would resurface the pool ice to thicken the ice up

i also wouldn't skate on a pool

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Leaf Lander

I got 3 lil high spots so I am pouring water into a tin pie pan and ill let it freeze then Ill place them over the high spot to protect my liner

what do you think?

Old
01-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Waltah*

i really want to make a back yard rink next year.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Leaf Lander

if it is well below freezing and if u got a level yard and 400 bucks you can make a 30 by 60 rink this yr it would only take a few hrs to construct after you buy the wood and the liner.

Old
01-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Waltah*

we;ve been under 20* F for a couple weeks now. wish i would have done it this year. oh well.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Leaf Lander

-17 C outside feels like -29 which means very thick ice

Old
01-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Leaf Lander

rain and snow tonight...if only my rink had a roof

Old
02-26-2011, 05:09 PM
jefff

Our barkyard rink and a tonne of snow.

jefff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 04:51 PM
nukethewhales
gotta nuke something

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a somewhat hilarious/tragic story to share with you about the series of bad decisions that was my backyard rink.

A bit about myself: I'm a 23 year old college student renting out a student house in Toronto (bad decisions start here). I decided, for some reason, to build a backyard rink, despite there being one of Toronto's 52 outdoor rinks a mere ten minute drive from me.

So, I did my research, dreamed and planned it. I knew you couldn't fight both the slope of a backyard and the weather, so I prayed that the weather would suffice to compensate for my apparently not-too-uneven backyard. It was about 50x50, but cut through the incredibly uneven garden bed that I cleared out of shrub and other useless backyard accessories.

I bought my supplies (which was a lot more expensive then the INTERNET leads on) and built the frame, no problem. I was a bit confused as to how to go about the liner, so I took advice from the most credible source in the world: YouTube. I bought a narrow, but long really thin plastic liner and began the sealing process. With duct tape. It failed.

It snowed before I finished it, meaning the duct tape would no longer be adhesive to the plastic. Okay, no problem. I switched my methods to invest in a $100 60x40 polyurethane tarp. Cutting it into a 50x50 tarp, I tried the acoustic sealant method, which looked promising.

By early January, I was ready to flood. The weather was really cooperating, so after unthawing my hose and nozzle (which took two hours), I began flooding.

Yeah, it didn't work. Not only was my slope about 1.5-2 feet towards the far end of the yard, the acoustic sealant didn't even remotely hold. The result was puddles forming in the gaps and then leaking out.

Fast forward to spring, my landlord does an inspection and finds the rink. She is, for some reason, very pissed/upset at the clearly reversible damage that I did. Even after cleaning it up and turning the backyard into better than what it was originally was, she declares that we are all to vacant the house by June 1st.

The ironic thing, was that I put in some serious hours at the local outdoor rink while my terrible heap of plastic, wood, and water laid dead in the backyard.

So, now my great idea has resulted in me being $320 poorer (as a student, that's just bad planning), and homeless.

tl;dr - made a rink, it failed hard. Landlord kicks me out.

nukethewhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Fleuryoutside29

Thats brutal. At least you know for next year to just drive to the local rink

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:42 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsbryan View Post
Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a somewhat hilarious/tragic story to share with you about the series of bad decisions that was my backyard rink.

A bit about myself: I'm a 23 year old college student renting out a student house in Toronto (bad decisions start here). I decided, for some reason, to build a backyard rink, despite there being one of Toronto's 52 outdoor rinks a mere ten minute drive from me.

So, I did my research, dreamed and planned it. I knew you couldn't fight both the slope of a backyard and the weather, so I prayed that the weather would suffice to compensate for my apparently not-too-uneven backyard. It was about 50x50, but cut through the incredibly uneven garden bed that I cleared out of shrub and other useless backyard accessories.

I bought my supplies (which was a lot more expensive then the INTERNET leads on) and built the frame, no problem. I was a bit confused as to how to go about the liner, so I took advice from the most credible source in the world: YouTube. I bought a narrow, but long really thin plastic liner and began the sealing process. With duct tape. It failed.

It snowed before I finished it, meaning the duct tape would no longer be adhesive to the plastic. Okay, no problem. I switched my methods to invest in a $100 60x40 polyurethane tarp. Cutting it into a 50x50 tarp, I tried the acoustic sealant method, which looked promising.

By early January, I was ready to flood. The weather was really cooperating, so after unthawing my hose and nozzle (which took two hours), I began flooding.

Yeah, it didn't work. Not only was my slope about 1.5-2 feet towards the far end of the yard, the acoustic sealant didn't even remotely hold. The result was puddles forming in the gaps and then leaking out.

Fast forward to spring, my landlord does an inspection and finds the rink. She is, for some reason, very pissed/upset at the clearly reversible damage that I did. Even after cleaning it up and turning the backyard into better than what it was originally was, she declares that we are all to vacant the house by June 1st.

The ironic thing, was that I put in some serious hours at the local outdoor rink while my terrible heap of plastic, wood, and water laid dead in the backyard.

So, now my great idea has resulted in me being $320 poorer (as a student, that's just bad planning), and homeless.

thats sucks....but i guess you took 1 extra class this winter (building ice rinks) but just didnt pass.....screw that landlord and next year (or if ever) you have a better idea of what NOT TO DO

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:11 PM
rinkrat22

yeah, I agree, the first year its more of a learning curve year.

Old
05-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
In Vancouver, we hardly get any snow if at all in the winter, so outdoor hockey is a no-go. We usually play roller/ball/street hockey. This is practically where I have spent 500+ hours goofing around.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Leaf Lander

What have you done to get your yard ready for this winters back yard hockey rink?

Old
08-27-2011, 03:05 PM
IDuck

hahaha seeing this thread in summer makes me giddie like a little boy...im actually going to mess around in my yard(not going to build a rink since i have a sick pond i play on) just to start learning how to make good ice.....i got a roll of 100' X 10' poly (free from work) but it is black so i dont know how well it will work....but cant wait to skate for free

Old
09-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Rubber Biscuit

We usually don't have the proper weather to sustain an actual backyard rink, but I find a way to make my own.

I just pat the snow with a shovel so it sticks, like when enough people drive over snow. You can't use skates on it, but the puck slides and so do sneakers. Make some boards out of snow, although this year we added our own boards.

It's a lot of fun to go out back at night with a light snow fall and just shoot pucks for hours on end.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:23 AM
edgevolution
GO USA!

I'm sure if it's packed down enough, you could flood it and have a rink!

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:27 PM
IDuck

TISS THE SEASON....thought this needed a bump

anyone got anything going yet?

i dont build my own but ive been playing some pond hockey for the past 2 weeks and im a happy man... i can go out there by myself with a puck and stick and be happy for hours...growing up in socal and recently moving to colder weather, i look forward to it every year and it makes me love the game even more....

Old
12-12-2011, 08:55 PM
1stoverall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukethewhales View Post

Dont feel bad when i went to school in London we decided to make a slip and slide down the second floor stairs with plywood and tarps out the front door down the walkways and down a large 30 ft stretch of hill on the front lawn with a jump into a kiddie pool. We threw a party that night and the landlord just happened to be in the neighborhood. Long story short lots of alcohol + home made slip and slide = evicted. Worth it tho

1stoverall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Twist and Shout

Hoping to get started on this during the week. What's a cost effective way to go about making one?

Have room to fit one in about 30ft x 50ft on a fairly even surface (slight slope, about 4 inches from one end to the other). What framing/liner/etc. would I need and can get from a Canadian Tire? I figure it's best to get everything ready to go before there's snow on the ground. Appreciate the help!

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:32 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Schenn View Post
Hoping to get started on this during the week. What's a cost effective way to go about making one?

Have room to fit one in about 30ft x 50ft on a fairly even surface (slight slope, about 4 inches from one end to the other). What framing/liner/etc. would I need and can get from a Canadian Tire? I figure it's best to get everything ready to go before there's snow on the ground. Appreciate the help!
i think there are a couple of ways....some just use the a snow pack to create the "framing" while others go the whole 9 yards...i havent built my own due to the fact that i have a massive pond (about 200yrds X 150 yrds) for big/wide open games/messin around and a cool (200ft X 100ft) one that has side walls all around it (kind of like a rink) for a lot faster/smaller game...if you live where the weather will allow you to have it up for a while i would do it up like a lot of the guys who have posted pics. in here do