HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Scott Gomez Thread

View Poll Results: Whens Gomez gonna score his first goal?
next game back 5 5.21%
December 15 15.63%
January 12 12.50%
February 9 9.38%
when he gets sent to the minors or traded 34 35.42%
never 21 21.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
stubbadub

vCash: 500
Is there a chance we just ship Gomez out anywhere possible?

With Kaberle coming in we're left with Kostitsyn, Price, Gorges, Eller, Subban, White, Emelin, Diaz, and Darche (doubt will return) on RFA. We'll have roughly 20 million to spend.

Now, after (if this year goes well) two great years of play after proving fans wrong on the Halak situation, I see Price asking somewhere between 5-6 million dollars a year.

Subban since his digression has lost some bargaining power I feel, and should be awarded no more than 3 million dollars a season, or 4. Sort of like Kostitsyn's contract at his age.

Gorges will no doubt want a big raise so about 4-4.5 million or he's leaving town to get more ice time and play a bigger role elsewhere.

Emelin has shown he's becoming quite the beast out there, and it should pay off to a 3 million a year contract. He had to be signed cheap this year due to an entry level cap. He could make 2 since he's RFA.

Kostitsyn, after seeing whether or not there will be a coaching change will most likely sign in a different city. I see Detroit, but that's just me. After leading the team in hits last year, and the amount of emotion he can bring to a game should warrant him a 4.5 million contract somewhere else.

Diaz will be an easy signing. RFA and has be alriiiiiight, but not too flashy. Great experiment. Doesn't matter if it's him or Weber hitting the trail next year.

Eller should get about 1.85-2.32 million for his improvements. Afterall, the only reason his cap hit is that high, is because St. Louis signed him to it. But he looks great out there this year.

Ryan White will probably get the same pay, if not a little extra (Darche's money probably) for another year to prove himself. He's great, but that damn injury bug is killing his progress.

Moen should be brought back to fill out the bottom 6. He's been great at doing that, and having to take over the top lines too because Martin's a fool. So another 1.5-2 million.

Adding it up, we're left with about 21 million dollars, give or take a million and a half. With 21 million as the projected cap space, and with the cap probably going up 3 million, we're left with about 2 or 3 million dollars to do any other work with.

By removing Gomez' contract from the books, you open up enough space to sign either one sensational player, or two well rounded players.

Even though the Canadiens will sell out every game next year, no matter if they are winning or not, from a business standpoint, do you think that burying Gomez' contract is a good business strategy. Do you think that Molson has been advised that whether or not they keep Gomez they'll still see the green? Do you believe that they'll see as much cash if they keep him rather than send him packing? Is Molson keeping him to save face, so that the Canadiens aren't viewed as a team who buys their problems away? I don't think that you should be able to do that like New York is doing with Wade Redden. It's business, yes, but that's somebody's livelihood and reputation (I know he's still making the money.) At what point does the owner pull the trigger on this situation to get the ball rolling?

We want to win, and we've shown we can do it with Gomez in the lineup, but at what point does the owner say, "I want to win now, and can do it without that contract."?

I love Gomez, but at the time of his signing, why wasn't there someone there to say, "Okay, you know when you **** the bed, everybody is going to want to eat your soul. Well, at least Montreal's not offering you the 7,357,143 MILLION DOLLARS. I guess the Rangers fans are pretty forgiving."

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
With Kaberle coming in we're left with Kostitsyn, Price, Gorges, Eller, Subban, White, Emelin, Diaz, and Darche (doubt will return) on RFA. We'll have roughly 20 million to spend.

Now, after (if this year goes well) two great years of play after proving fans wrong on the Halak situation, I see Price asking somewhere between 5-6 million dollars a year.

Subban since his digression has lost some bargaining power I feel, and should be awarded no more than 3 million dollars a season, or 4. Sort of like Kostitsyn's contract at his age.

Gorges will no doubt want a big raise so about 4-4.5 million or he's leaving town to get more ice time and play a bigger role elsewhere.

Emelin has shown he's becoming quite the beast out there, and it should pay off to a 3 million a year contract. He had to be signed cheap this year due to an entry level cap. He could make 2 since he's RFA.

Kostitsyn, after seeing whether or not there will be a coaching change will most likely sign in a different city. I see Detroit, but that's just me. After leading the team in hits last year, and the amount of emotion he can bring to a game should warrant him a 4.5 million contract somewhere else.

Diaz will be an easy signing. RFA and has be alriiiiiight, but not too flashy. Great experiment. Doesn't matter if it's him or Weber hitting the trail next year.

Eller should get about 1.85-2.32 million for his improvements. Afterall, the only reason his cap hit is that high, is because St. Louis signed him to it. But he looks great out there this year.

Ryan White will probably get the same pay, if not a little extra (Darche's money probably) for another year to prove himself. He's great, but that damn injury bug is killing his progress.

Moen should be brought back to fill out the bottom 6. He's been great at doing that, and having to take over the top lines too because Martin's a fool. So another 1.5-2 million.

Adding it up, we're left with about 21 million dollars, give or take a million and a half. With 21 million as the projected cap space, and with the cap probably going up 3 million, we're left with about 2 or 3 million dollars to do any other work with.

By removing Gomez' contract from the books, you open up enough space to sign either one sensational player, or two well rounded players.

Even though the Canadiens will sell out every game next year, no matter if they are winning or not, from a business standpoint, do you think that burying Gomez' contract is a good business strategy. Do you think that Molson has been advised that whether or not they keep Gomez they'll still see the green? Do you believe that they'll see as much cash if they keep him rather than send him packing? Is Molson keeping him to save face, so that the Canadiens aren't viewed as a team who buys their problems away? I don't think that you should be able to do that like New York is doing with Wade Redden. It's business, yes, but that's somebody's livelihood and reputation (I know he's still making the money.) At what point does the owner pull the trigger on this situation to get the ball rolling?

We want to win, and we've shown we can do it with Gomez in the lineup, but at what point does the owner say, "I want to win now, and can do it without that contract."?

I love Gomez, but at the time of his signing, why wasn't there someone there to say, "Okay, you know when you **** the bed, everybody is going to want to eat your soul. Well, at least Montreal's not offering you the 7,357,143 MILLION DOLLARS. I guess the Rangers fans are pretty forgiving."
Playoff revenue adds up, baby, and the better you are the more there is of it. I hated the signing because I had seen a lot of him and he was by no means the true #1 center in either Madison Square Garden or the Meadowlands. Just imagine if Gainey had signed Koivu for one year instead if making that ill-begotten trade.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 11:45 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

In what world is a Darche an RFA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Gomez can get back to 09-10 form(hopefully he can come back and get 10-12 healthy games before the trade deadline), then...

Cole-Plekanec-Cammy
Pax-Gomez-Gio
Ak-Eller-DD
Moen-Noke-White/Darche/Weber

Is our best lineup.

I don't see why we would send Gomez to Hamilton right now(if he was healthy) unless we can get a 5-6 mil top 6 guy relatively cheap, and I'm not thinking of Horcoff, Penner or Kaberle...I would consider it for Staal, Iginla or Heatley, but the first two would definitely not be cheap.
Breaking up our best line to make room for Gomez? Smart.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 02:13 AM
Adam91

http://www.didgomezscore.com/anyone seen this?

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:02 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
In what world is a Darche an RFA?

Breaking up our best line to make room for Gomez? Smart.
French media must be telling everyone he's 24 instead of 35.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote