16. F - Ville Ahlgren (Blues)
17. F - Sami Salminen (Jokerit)
18. F - Kalle Torniainen (HIFK)
19. F - Topi Nättinen (JYP)
20. F - Nico Friman (HIFK)

Goalies:
1. GK - Joonas Korpisalo (Jokerit)
2. GK - Jean Auren (Sport)

Olli Määttä was 3rd on the OHL list and Joel Mustonen 8th on the Swedish list.

---

Markus Kojo could be one of the more interesting prospects not on the list. Started the season in Jr.B and hasn’t shown much in Jr.A so far, but has a huge frame and might in the end develop into a half decent defensive defenseman who’s difficult to play against.

It might also be worth a look how Sport forwards Jaakko Hautamäki and Joonas Huovinen develop as the season progresses. Hautamäki is a captain of his team as a 17-year old and could have some potential as a hard working 3rd/4th liner. Huovinen’s overall game is far from convincing, but I like his awareness and passing skills.

Different views and opinions are welcome, so share your thoughts when you see some of these prospects play.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 02:36 AM
Eyelanders

vCash: 500
Nothing really surprising on the list. First five players are pretty much in the same order I would rank them. I don´t understand why Lindbohm is so high though, because in the games I have seen he has not been very good, or showed anything special. I would maybe rank Hännikäinen a bit higher, as he seems to be bigger than last year and has developed nicely. I really like Kallela, however he is very small which limits his NHL potential. I see him having the potential to develop at least into a good SM-liiga player.

Eyelanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 04:37 PM
Korkki

Kojo should start working harder.

Interesting to see Ahlgren on the list. He was quite good last season on A-juniors but failed to take place in USHL. I am sure he will be at least a decent SM-liiga player in the future though I doubt his chances in NHL because of his little frame.

One dark horse outside the list could be Borna Rendulic. Are there any Croatian players drafted ever?

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 06:25 AM
ElHefe

Do you think that there could be six (6) finns getting drafted at the first two rounds?

-Määttä
-Teräväinen
-Pokka
-Vainonen
-Lindell
-Ikonen

ElHefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:04 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
Do you think that there could be six (6) finns getting drafted at the first two rounds?

-Määttä
-Teräväinen
-Pokka
-Vainonen
-Lindell
-Ikonen
That's the top six picks of 2012 draft.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorhockeyfollower View Post
I don´t understand why Lindbohm is so high though, because in the games I have seen he has not been very good, or showed anything special.
At least Lindbohm has NHL size and some aggressiveness in his game, but it's true that one would expect a bit more from a 93-born player playing his 2nd season in Jr.A. On the other hand when you take a look at the other players on the list after the top-5, it’s not exactly filled with high quality NHL prospects.

Aaltonen, Markkula, Kallela, Kulmala, Ahlgren, Nättinen and Friman are all smallish forwards and it seems unlikely that any of them develop into regular NHL’ers. Tikkinen and Lehtonen are comparable prospects, both are 5’11’’ tall defensemen and not exactly certain draft picks at this point. Tikkinen might have a bit more offensive upside whereas Lehtonen is stronger defensively. Auvinen, Hännikäinen and Salminen were passed over last year, and I’m not sure if enough has changed since then. Rantakari is good puck moving defenseman, but he’s something like 5’10’’ tall and is pushed around even in Jr.A. Torniainen is a mystery for me, I’ve seen 3 Jr.A games from HIFK and he hasn’t been in the lineup in any of them.

Pessimist might say that Määttä, Teräväinen, Pokka, Lindell, Vainonen and Ikonen are the only prospects really worth drafting, but it's early so hopefully things improve. I’ve seen Korpisalo, Auren and Kiviaho at least once now and at this point it’s really hard to say which one is the most promising or who has the best chance of getting drafted.

It would be nice to see Lindbohm playing in a bigger role in some other team, maybe he would show slightly more in that situation. Lindbohm and Lukko's Roni Viirlas are somewhat similar players, they have only 4 months of age difference and both are big defensemen with limited offensive capabilities. The biggest difference is that Viirlas is playing a lot and thriving in his role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
One dark horse outside the list could be Borna Rendulic.
Rendulic seems like a man among boys in Jr.A, would be nice to see him play in SM-liiga where his size and physique wouldn't be as big of an advantage.

Old
11-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Eyelanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
At least Lindbohm has NHL size and some aggressiveness in his game, but it's true that one would expect a bit more from a 93-born player playing his 2nd season in Jr.A. On the other hand when you take a look at the other players on the list after the top-5, it’s not exactly filled with high quality NHL prospects.

Aaltonen, Markkula, Kallela, Kulmala, Ahlgren, Nättinen and Friman are all smallish forwards and it seems unlikely that any of them develop into regular NHL’ers. Tikkinen and Lehtonen are comparable prospects, both are 5’11’’ tall defensemen and not exactly certain draft picks at this point. Tikkinen might have a bit more offensive upside whereas Lehtonen is stronger defensively. Auvinen, Hännikäinen and Salminen were passed over last year, and I’m not sure if enough has changed since then. Rantakari is good puck moving defenseman, but he’s something like 5’10’’ tall and is pushed around even in Jr.A. Torniainen is a mystery for me, I’ve seen 3 Jr.A games from HIFK and he hasn’t been in the lineup in any of them.
Yeah, it´s true that after the first five players, the list isn´t that impressive. I don´t see at the moment Lindbohm more than as a late-rounder at best. Torniainen was very impressive when I saw him playing two years or so ago, but when I have seen him playing this year he has been invisibile.

Old
12-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Eyelanders

I saw Jokerit U20 playing yesterday. I liked Sami Salminen, he has good puck skills and created good scoring chances. His skating is not something that I like though. I´m not sure whether he´ll be drafted or not. I think he should be play on a higher level than Jr. A. I still don´t understand why at least some scouts are high on Lindbohm. His skating looked awkward and he couldn´t create anything with the puck. But hey, I´m not a scout, just a guy who likes to watch junior games. Esa Lindell scored the game winning goal and has 34 points already.

Old
12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
I still don´t understand why at least some scouts are high on Lindbohm. His skating looked awkward and he couldn´t create anything with the puck. But hey, I´m not a scout, just a guy who likes to watch junior games.
Central Scouting’s Director of European Scouting Göran Stubb is a former HIFK boss and their Chief European Scout Janne Vuorinen works for Espoo Blues. Therefore one can speculate if the prospects from the capitol region sometimes have a slight advantage in these early lists. It’s possible that in the early stages of the season Central Scouting simply has more knowledge about the prospects from that area. Lindbohm for example played for Blues last season, so Vuorinen probably knows him really well.

I like this year’s list more than usual and although Lindbohm is not very convincing on the ice, he might have a tiny amount of potential as a 3rd pairing defenseman. Personally I’d question Aaltonen’s place at 6th a bit more, I'd have Tikkinen and Lehtonen above him. Also I'd replace Friman with someone like Markus Kojo or Henrik Haapala.

Quote:
Esa Lindell scored the game winning goal and has 34 points already.
Which one do you like more at the moment; Vainonen or Lindell? To me Vainonen seems to be stronger and more reliable defensively, whereas Lindell’s first step is slightly lighter and the offensive side of the game seems to come more naturally to him although he’s still searching for his limits.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:07 PM
ChadS

I bet Teräväinen will drop in the rankings now that he didn't even make the pre-WJC camp. Not that it really matters where he gets picked, the organisation is more important.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I bet Teräväinen will drop in the rankings now that he didn't even make the pre-WJC camp.
He will drop if the scouts doesn't look at the Finnish roster: no use for underaged scorer, including the fact that one very underaged C will be in the roster. Teräväinen is a scoring role forward and there is lots of guys for that role. The more I'm surprised, that Partanen and Åsten are not in the group. And even more surprised, that Rautiainen, who was ASM top scorer last season and who plays for the HPK this year, is not chosen. Rautiainen might be small, but he is playing in Sm-liiga and Sm-liiga is more fysical, than U-20's.

And why did he took Aaltonen for the camp, if Rautiainen is not there!!!??? Aaltonen is underaged and fysically weak.

And Joel Mustonen is not there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And where did he found this Roope Hämäläinen? Did Hämäläinen play well in some tournament or camp?

Last edited by Ihmeilja: 12-05-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Ihmeilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmeilja View Post
And why did he took Aaltonen for the camp, if Rautiainen is not there!!!??? Aaltonen is underaged and fysically weak.
Aaltonen is not weak. Not the most physical, but definitely not weak. He's a rather versatile forward who can play any position and any role, sort of like Sami Kapanen. And he's not THAT small, reaching 178/78. Smallish, yes, but his playstyle more than makes up for it.

Rautiainen instead IS small at 171/73. He's a speedy guy with lot of skill, but needs some space to utilize that skill, something which is a luxury in smaller rink.

Whenever you wonder "where the heck did that guy come from", I recommend you check their season U20 stats. Aaltonen is 4+2 in 10 games played, Rautiainen is 3+1, so they're pretty comparable in that vein.

Quote:
And where did he found this Roope Hämäläinen? Did Hämäläinen play well in some tournament or camp?
Him I don't get, to be honest. He's 0+4 in six U20 games so nothing extremely special. Rather versatile like Aaltonen though, so maybe Raipe sees him as some kind of utility forward or he simply picked him as an "easy snub" when the time comes to cut the roster. It's him or Kuronen, for whom I see no much role beyond secondary 4th line center.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:55 AM
Eyelanders

Quote:
I like this year’s list more than usual and although Lindbohm is not very convincing on the ice, he might have a tiny amount of potential as a 3rd pairing defenseman. Personally I’d question Aaltonen’s place at 6th a bit more, I'd have Tikkinen and Lehtonen above him. Also I'd replace Friman with someone like Markus Kojo or Henrik Haapala.
Lehtonen is a good defenseman that gives a good first pass and is good on PP. He could be a bit bigger, but he is effective and a player to keep an eye on. I have seen Aaltonen playing yet this season only once, so to me it´s hard to say anything on him.

Quote:
Which one do you like more at the moment; Vainonen or Lindell? To me Vainonen seems to be stronger and more reliable defensively, whereas Lindell’s first step is slightly lighter and the offensive side of the game seems to come more naturally to him although he’s still searching for his limits.
I have seen Lindell more than Vainonen and if I remember correctly Lindell has always had in the games at least one point, which is very impressive. Like you said, Vainonen may be the better player of the two defensively, but Lindell has shown to me more offensive upside. But Vainonen plays a smart game too and doesn´t do mistakes on the ice a lot. Still, at the moment I like Lindell more. Both play very good minutes on their teams for 17 years old defensemen and especially Lindell´s development has been great from last season.

Old
12-06-2011, 03:35 AM
YARR123

Quote:
And Joel Mustonen is not there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is way beyond me, I cannot fathom how Hämäläinen could possibly be chosen instead of Joel Mustonen. I've watched 3 of Mustonen's games this year and he looked very impressive. His speed and intensity would've been an asset for this team. And it's not like he did badly in U20 games this year, 3+1 in 3 games. I just do not understand this.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Okay, I asked around concerning this mystery man Roope Hämäläinen a bit, and apparently he's some kind of lite version of Antti Pihlström. All spirit, insane speed, pesty playstyle, despite smallish size hits everything that moves and while the hockey sense could be improved, not totally handless either.

Does this team need his kind of player then... well, I suppose that's for Raipe to decide.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Okay, I asked around concerning this mystery man Roope Hämäläinen a bit, and apparently he's some kind of lite version of Antti Pihlström. All spirit, insane speed, pesty playstyle, despite smallish size hits everything that moves and while the hockey sense could be improved, not totally handless either.

Does this team need his kind of player then... well, I suppose that's for Raipe to decide.
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread either.

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:30 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread either.
Normally I'd agree, but there was somebody in here who wondered who the heck he is...

Old
12-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Password

Too bad Teräväinen and Mustonen didn't make the team. Mustonen could've showed the scouts that he should be drafted, and Teuvo don't really get the chance to rise at the draft rankings and show'em he's a great talent.

I counted these two guys into the WJC roster :/

Password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:51 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Richard Ullberg could be a surprise pick in the 7th round, a bit like Frans Tuohimaa this year (EDM 7th round 182 overall).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=25254

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Password

Maybe even higher than 7th round. Btw, heard Ullberg stole some money from his team mates once. I'm just curious, is he a guy that cause trouble in the locker room etc.?

Last edited by Password: 12-12-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old
12-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Password View Post
Maybe even higher than 7th round. Btw, heard Ullberg stole some money from his team mates once. I'm just curious, is he a guy that cause trouble in the locker room etc.?
I believe it was not just "once", but a continuous habit. If I recall correct, he used his teammates' cellphones to order credits to a gambling website, and stuff like that. Getting kicked off the team and having to go to Lappeenranta (no offense ) might've given him a little push, though. After all, he's basically become the #1 goalie of SaiPa.

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 05:00 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Since the incident happened when Ullberg was relatively young, it hopefully won't have too negative an effect on his career if he's (apparently) set his head on straight.

After all, isn't our very first NHL caliber starter goalie and current GK coach of national team also a former juvenile crook?

Old
12-13-2011, 05:50 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
a gambling website, and stuff like that
I thought that gambling is prohibited from U18 in Finland?

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Password

Quote:
I believe it was not just "once", but a continuous habit. If I recall correct, he used his teammates' cellphones to order credits to a gambling website, and stuff like that. Getting kicked off the team and having to go to Lappeenranta (no offense ) might've given him a little push, though. After all, he's basically become the #1 goalie of SaiPa.
I guess he's not proud of it But, is he a guy that use to cause trouble in the locker room? If so, I don't want him in our WJC team

Old
12-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Password

Quote:
Double post. Hf lag.